New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

In enemy stat blocks, claws are always (to my knowledge) listed together as one attack. The game also does not differentiate between left claw attack and right claw attack, so I would imagine that reach would give both of your eidolon's claws the extra range.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Question 46: Pure RAW can I use Summon Monster 2 to summon this small elemental: crysmal . This extends to using Summon Monster 4 to summon an Advanced Invisible Stalker

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by borg286 View Post
    Question 46: Pure RAW can I use Summon Monster 2 to summon this small elemental: crysmal . This extends to using Summon Monster 4 to summon an Advanced Invisible Stalker
    RAW you would be able to do the first. I don't believe you can apply templates to summoned monsters, so for the second example, I'm pretty sure it would be a regular Invisible Stalker.

Talk with a DM about that anyway, as it was probably intended for Summon Monster to only summon the "X Elemental" line of monsters.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-04 at 05:14 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q 47: AoO question -- simple one, confusion on my part

If a M-sized opponent is standing at a central position, and you are at his 3 (see diagram below), and you take a 5' step to his 2, do you provoke an AoO for leaving a threatened square? I read though the rules, but just confusion on my part and I don't believe I have been handling this correctly.

3M7

Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

A 47

No. With very few exceptions, taking a 5-foot step does not provoke an attack of opportunity. If you took a regular move action to go to 2, however, it would provoke an AoO.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-09-30 at 10:54 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q48
    Can you apply sneak attack to splash weapons? If yes, where does the sneak attack applies? Just the target or everyone in the splash?

Q48a
    If I'm an Alchemist/Rogue 1/1 non-Vivisectionist so I get both a bomb and sneak attack, can I apply sneak attack to my bomb? Again, if yes is just my main target affected or everyone in the blast?

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    Q48
    Can you apply sneak attack to splash weapons? If yes, where does the sneak attack applies? Just the target or everyone in the splash?

Q48a
    If I'm an Alchemist/Rogue 1/1 non-Vivisectionist so I get both a bomb and sneak attack, can I apply sneak attack to my bomb? Again, if yes is just my main target affected or everyone in the blast?
    A48

No to both.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Splash weapons cannot deal precision-based damage (such as the damage from the rogue's sneak attack class feature).

8. - Top - End - #158

Bummer.

Anyway, on to more:

Q49
    If I have Power Attack, Furious Focus and make a full-attack with my set of three primary natural weapons (2 claws, 1 bite), exactly what happens? All the attacks take no penalty from Power Attack? Or should I elect an attack out of the lot and only have the penalty removed from that one attack?

My DM has ruled that his interpretation is the latter, but even so, I'm curious about the RAW.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-04 at 01:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

A 49

Quote Originally Posted by PF SRD, Furious Focus feat
    Benefit: When you are wielding a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon with two hands, and using the Power Attack feat, you do not suffer Power Attack's penalty on melee attack rolls on the first attack you make each turn. You still suffer the penalty on any additional attacks, including attacks of opportunity.
    My reading of that would be that you can't use Furious Focus at all with a natural attack, since it's neither a two-handed or one-handed weapon in two hands.

Putting that aside and answering your question anyway... Furious Focus is pretty clear that Power Attack penalties don't apply to the first attack you make in a full round attack sequence. If you were wielding a greatsword and had two attacks at your highest BAB (for example, by having haste active on you), the first of those attacks wouldn't suffer PA penalties, but the second - and all subsequent - would.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    A 49

My reading of that would be that you can't use Furious Focus at all with a natural attack, since it's neither a two-handed or one-handed weapon in two hands.

Putting that aside and answering your question anyway... Furious Focus is pretty clear that Power Attack penalties don't apply to the first attack you make in a full round attack sequence. If you were wielding a greatsword and had two attacks at your highest BAB (for example, by having haste active on you), the first of those attacks wouldn't suffer PA penalties, but the second - and all subsequent - would.
    I see, I seem to have skipped that bit about it only affecting 2H, got too excited I guess.

Anyway, yeah, I guess you're right that it shouldn't work with a full-attack with natural weapons, but I'll ask my DM if his rulling is going to stand or if he at least allows me to use it if I only use a single natural weapon (which follows 2H rules).

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Q50

How do Vital Strike and Explosive Missile work?

1: They can't be used with eachother, explosive missile isn't "the attack action"
    2: The projectile does boosted damage, but the bomb is treated as normal.
    3: Both are multiplied, as the bomb is considered a weapon, not bonus die.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q51
    Not really sure, if this is RAW ... Can a PC with Knowledge Devotion spread his bonuses from Knowledge Devotion on other PCs in party?
    Adventurers, by definition, aren't really sane

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

A 51

As best as I can tell, Knowledge Devotion isn't in Pathfinder.Were you perhaps looking for the 3.5 Q&A thread?
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

@Zherog
    You got it right. Tnx for the link.
    Adventurers, by definition, aren't really sane

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Q50

How do Vital Strike and Explosive Missile work?

1: They can't be used with eachother, explosive missile isn't "the attack action"
    2: The projectile does boosted damage, but the bomb is treated as normal.
    3: Both are multiplied, as the bomb is considered a weapon, not bonus die.
    A50
    1. Yeah, by RAW they can't, however Vital Strike does seem to be poorly worded, so check your DM on his ruling.

2. Not sure what you mean, if it's supposing your DM allows you to use them together, then only the projectile damage would be multiplied, bomb is a splash weapon, which is actually not a weapon, but just an item that causes damage, it's really closer to throwing a bottle at someone.

3. No, the Explosive Missile Discovery specifically says "as if the Alchemist had thrown the bomb", so the bomb is still just a bomb, you just strapped it to an arrow. In effect, all the good it does is considerably increase the distance you can 'throw' your bombs.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q52
    A character gets to level 4 and increases his intelligence score, increasing the modifier.

a. Does he gain an extra retroactive skill point for the previous levels, or just an extra skill point for all new levels?
    b. Does he gain an extra language, or does he still have to spend a skill point in linguistics to get one?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

A 52

A) Skill points are not retroactive. He'll gain additional skill points at future levels, but previous levels are unaffected. (Similarly, if his Int goes down he's also unaffected at previous levels.)

B) Bonus languages for high Int are only at first level. Later increasing your Int doesn't give you a new language.
    John Ling

18. - Top - End - #168

A 52

A) Skill points are not retroactive. He'll gain additional skill points at future levels, but previous levels are unaffected. (Similarly, if his Int goes down he's also unaffected at previous levels.)

B) Bonus languages for high Int are only at first level. Later increasing your Int doesn't give you a new language.
    A52 Correction

Skill points are retroactive.

Spoiler
    Show
    Permanent Bonuses: Ability bonuses with a duration greater than 1 day actually increase the relevant ability score after 24 hours. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to gain skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. These bonuses should be noted separately in case they are removed.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you. I hadn't noticed that (obviously).
    John Ling

20. - Top - End - #170

A50
    1. Yeah, by RAW they can't, however Vital Strike does seem to be poorly worded, so check your DM on his ruling.

2. Not sure what you mean, if it's supposing your DM allows you to use them together, then only the projectile damage would be multiplied, bomb is a splash weapon, which is actually not a weapon, but just an item that causes damage, it's really closer to throwing a bottle at someone.

3. No, the Explosive Missile Discovery specifically says "as if the Alchemist had thrown the bomb", so the bomb is still just a bomb, you just strapped it to an arrow. In effect, all the good it does is considerably increase the distance you can 'throw' your bombs.
    A50 Correction
    Just found a line of text that contradicts what should happen with bombs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    Bomb (Su)
    [bla, bla, yadda, yadda]

Drawing the components of, creating, and throwing a bomb requires a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Thrown bombs have a range of 20 feet and use the Throw Splash Weapon special attack. Bombs are considered weapons and can be selected using feats such as Point-Blank Shot and Weapon Focus. On a direct hit, an alchemist’s bomb inflicts 1d6 points of fire damage + additional damage equal to the alchemist’s Intelligence modifier. The damage of an alchemist’s bomb increases by 1d6 points at every odd-numbered alchemist level (this bonus damage is not multiplied on a critical hit or by using feats such as Vital Strike). [more text...]
    This means that the first dice of the bomb's damage is an actual weapon and should be considered as such (as opposed to other splash weapons), doing double damage on crit and being multiplied by Vital Strike. However, any further dices are considered bonus damage, as if from sneak attack, so these aren't multiplied.

So, fixing my answer we have:

2 and 3. Both the projectile and only the first damage dice of your bomb are multiplied (usually 1d6), further dices are unaffected as normal, because they still count as "bonus damage".
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-06 at 02:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

snip
    I meant which of the 3 scenarios occurs. Thanks for answering.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 53

Do Native Outsiders such as Aasimar get proficiency with martial weapons from the traits of an Outsider? I was wondering if I could use that for early entry into Eldritch Knight, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Edit: Nevermind, I found an answer on the Paizo Forums. No, they do not. Darn.
    Last edited by Drelua; 2011-10-08 at 01:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drelua View Post
    Q 53

Do Native Outsiders such as Aasimar get proficiency with martial weapons from the traits of an Outsider? I was wondering if I could use that for early entry into Eldritch Knight, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Edit: Nevermind, I found an answer on the Paizo Forums. No, they do not. Darn.
    Link to this? The rules say all outsiders get it, and neither the Native subtype nor the aasimar give an exception.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Link to this? The rules say all outsiders get it, and neither the Native subtype nor the aasimar give an exception.
    Their creative director mentioned it a while back.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

I gotta say, from a RAW point-of-view, I disagree with James. What he said might be the intention, but RAW all outsiders get the proficiency.
    John Ling

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I gotta say, from a RAW point-of-view, I disagree with James. What he said might be the intention, but RAW all outsiders get the proficiency.
    PF writers tend to rule more by what they want rather than what they write (this isn't the first time this has happened which also makes RAW discussions difficult at times). They also seem to have pretty low standards of balance if they think free martial weapon proficiency on a wizard (or anybody for that matter) means much of anything.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q54: Let's say I'm running a character with Sneak attack (Rogue, Assassin, whatever). My character also has the ability to cast ray of enfeeblement or enervation. I've heard that if the target is flatfooted, they take additional sneak attack damage as negative energy. Can anyone confirm this for PF? is it in the book somewhere?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

A54: Sneak Attack applies only when dealing hit point damage. Neither spell does, so Sneak Attack does never apply to them.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Zolthux View Post
    Q54: Let's say I'm running a character with Sneak attack (Rogue, Assassin, whatever). My character also has the ability to cast ray of enfeeblement or enervation. I've heard that if the target is flatfooted, they take additional sneak attack damage as negative energy. Can anyone confirm this for PF? is it in the book somewhere?
    In 3.5 spells like enervation dealt extra SA damage as negative energy damage and this rule was in complete arcane. I don't know if that was written in PF anywhere.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Q 55: I'm confused by the entry on Bucklers. It saus I can use a bow without penalty whole carrying a buckler. Do I also get any AC bonuses from my buckler on the round I fire my bow?