New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Q 55: I'm confused by the entry on Bucklers. It saus I can use a bow without penalty whole carrying a buckler. Do I also get any AC bonuses from my buckler on the round I fire my bow?
    I don't see bows mentioned specifically, but according to the srd, if you have a buckler in your offhand while wielding an offhand weapon *or* if you use that off-hand to wield a two handed weapon, then you take a -1 to attacks and lose the AC bonus when attacking.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/buckler

It's also in the (unofficial) FAQ

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/pathf...aq#TOC-Buckler

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Core rulebook page 150 under the Buckler entry. I own the Fourth printing of the book printed in September 2010.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

I have a fourth printing as well. I see noting related to bows in particular under the buckler entry.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

It says, and I quote:
    This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a boe or crossbow without penalty while carrying it.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Not showing up in my copy. I'd stick to the srd in that case.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/buckler

It's in the description of the buckler (in italics) above the Benefit notes.

My guess is that you would not get the AC bonus from the buckler when using a bow or crossbow, but you also would not get the normal -1 penalty to attacks either.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Q56: How much higher than your opponent do you need to be to get the higher ground bonus to attack rolls?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessNPC View Post
    Q56: How much higher than your opponent do you need to be to get the higher ground bonus to attack rolls?
    A?56
    Well, I wasn't able to find anything specific about it. However, seeing as it only affects melee attacks and not ranged ones, I'd say that a foot should be enough.

Let's kill the catgirl a bit, but a 1 foot advantage is already enough that, supposing that both attacker and defender have about the same heigh, attacker can now easily strike defender's head and it'll be considerably harder for defender to defend himself.

Going higher shouldn't change much, but if you go high enough (defender's height), defender ends up flatfooted since he can no longer see you.

9. - Top - End - #189

Daemon

A55 IMO the wording in the buckler entry is pretty clear. You will not receive a penalty to your attack rolls while using a bow or a crossbow when wearing a buckler. However, the general rule that you will not gain the benefits of the buckler while attacking with you off-hand or a two-handed weapon still applies.

So, no penalties and no benefits

A56 There is nothing that specifies how much higher, in feet and inches, you need to be to to gain a height advantage over an enemy, so basically it is the DM's call to decide whether your relative position to your target should net you an advantage.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-10-13 at 06:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q57 - Is Cleaving Assault and Greater Cleaving Assault from a Paizo book? I cant find any mention in the PSRD.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

A57: When you google it, almost all results are forum threads about 4E. Possible that someone converted that ability to PF, but it does not seem to be from a Paizo source.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theorac View Post
    Q57 - Is Cleaving Assault and Greater Cleaving Assault from a Paizo book? I cant find any mention in the PSRD.
    You may be thinking of Cleaving Finish and Improved Cleaving Finish, which have the same effects as 3.5e Cleave and Great Cleave (but with the PF versions as prereqs).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-14 at 02:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q57 continued? I found 2 links to a non 4th ed page.

http://community.wizards.com/pathfin...29225/?pg=last
    and
    http://community.wizards.com/pathfin...29_-Pathfinder

seems to be a custom creation?

14. - Top - End - #194

A57 They appear to be homebrewed feats.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q058: The druid get an spell at Lvl-4, Ice Storm, which is a cilinder, with a range... well, 400+40*Druid Level, 20 Ft radius and 40 Ft. Height.

Altough it deals its 5d6 damage once, it looks to me an exageration, for a divine spell, so much damage and an outrageous long cilinder, then I think:
    It's a cilinder, and the 20ft radius base must in the floor, or it's a proyection, and the base can be vertical, and proyect the cilinder, like the Parasite Eve game?
    Last edited by Souhiro; 2011-10-17 at 02:35 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

A58: The ice hits everything in a 20 ft. radius circle around the point you targeted and also hits everything that is 40 ft or less in the air above the circle on the ground.

The point you target where the 20 ft radius circle appears can be 400+40/level feet away from where you are standing.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-10-17 at 05:38 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q59: Question concerning wild shape and the beast shape spells:

The entries for the different beast shape spells say something about all kinds of speed, but do not mention the basic land speed, and i also did not find any reference to that in any polymorph entry. Do the beast shape spells give you the basic land speed of the animal you turn into, or is it also limited to 30/60/90/120 like the progression of the spells, or do you even keep your own basic land speed?
    i probably missed the rule entry where that is cleared up, can anyone point me to it?
    Last edited by Haron; 2011-10-18 at 09:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

A59: It's part of the general rules for polymorph effects:
    Your base speed changes to match that of the form you assume.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q60: Do feats that give attacks stack? Say, as an example, the cleave feat that gives an extra attack to adjacent enemy if it hits and another feat that allows an extra attack against adjacent if the enemy targeted dies. Do both feats activate if the attacked enemy dies?
    Last edited by Theorac; 2011-10-18 at 11:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

A 60

An answer can't be provided, as it would depend entirely on the wording of both feats. If you have a specific combo in mind, please repost with that, rather than one "real" feat and one hypothetical feat.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 61

Can an oracle with the Deaf Curse take the trait Magical Lineage, choosing a level one spell with a verbal component (for this example, the spell Command,) and cast the level 1 spell as if they were modified by the Silent Spell feat in order to turn it into a level 0 spell? (And thus consume no spell slots?)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

A 61

Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD - Magical Lineage
    Pick one spell when you choose this trait. When you apply metamagic feats to this spell, treat its actual level as 1 lower for determining the spell’s final adjusted level.
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD - Deaf Curse
    You cast all of your spells as if they were modified by the Silent Spell feat
    As it is written, for Magical Lineage to reduce a spell's level, it must have a metamagic feat applied to it. The benefit of the Deaf Curse isn't applying the Silent Spell feat to the Oracle's spells, it is just giving the benefit of the feat to the spells for free, so Magical Lineage would not apply in the example you gave.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 62

Is a monk's increased damage on their unarmed strikes considered an effect that augments unarmed strikes for the Feral Combat Training feat? Specifically, could a Monk/Druid take Feral Combat Training (bite) and use its normal unarmed strike damage on its bite attacks when wild shaped into a wolf?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q 63

Surprise round?

So a NPC caster (with his two bodyguards) was talking with group of adventurers -- they are standing 20-30' feet apart (the PCs are spread out in camp, the caster is 20' from the closest one). The NPC gleams some information he needs from party, then decides that it is time for them to die, so casts a fireball. Does this constitute a surprise round and the NPC is assumed to get his cast off before the party can react, or should initiative be rolled right away?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by evillemming; 2011-10-21 at 09:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

A63: Hard to answer this by RAW, it depends mostly on how the GM decides to have the NPCs act before combat breaks out. If they are keeping an eye on the character to see if he does anything funny, it would be regular Initiative rolls for everyone. If they are not suspecting anything and the characters casting is what triggers them to start feeling threatened, than I think the character should get a suprise round, as the character who wins Initiative does so as a reaction to the PCs casting.

A Bluff check by the attacker might be a good solution to solve this. If his Bluff check is higher than the characters Sense Motive checks, he catches them completely by surprise and gets the suprise round. If he fails than some of the PCs see that he is about to cast a spell.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-10-21 at 09:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

A 62

No. A monk's damage is a characteristic of the unarmed strike class feature (and not a separate effect). The damage for the natural weapon is unchanged.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Q64

Tengus are trained from birth in swordplay, and as a result are automatically proficient with sword-like weapons (including bastard swords[...]
    Is the Bastard Sword training exotic or martial?

28. - Top - End - #208

A 64

Bastard sword is an exotic weapon.

A bastard sword is about 4 feet in length, making it too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Q65
    Can the Guided weapon property be used on a ranged weapon?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-10-22 at 02:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

30. - Top - End - #210

Daemon

A65 The wording of the enhancement specifically says that it replaces the strength bonus to attacks with a characters wisdom bonus, thus indicating that it is a property for melee weapons only.

That said I see no reason why such a property could not also exist for ranged weapons, so I would recommend you take that to your GM.