New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

q66

How does Favored Class work for monstrous races?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2011-10-22 at 12:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

A66: All characters can chose their favored class at character creation. For each level in a favored class, the character gains either 1 extra skill point or +1 hp.

I don't see anything that would indicate that it's different when the character has racial HD.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A66: All characters can chose their favored class at character creation. For each level in a favored class, the character gains either 1 extra skill point or +1 hp.

I don't see anything that would indicate that it's different when the character has racial HD.
    A66b. That doesn't really hold water, considering "favored class" and what you're effectively saying is "favored race" for the monsters are two different things.

Unless the monsters take class levels, they do not get the +1 HP or skill point per level.
    Last edited by Ashram; 2011-10-23 at 01:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ashram, I don't see anything in Yora's post that needed your "correction". I see nothing about a favored race there, and Yora said that they pick a favored class at character creation and For each level in a favored class, the character gains either 1 extra skill point or +1 hp..

Q67 Can you use a mutagen and a Cognatogen at the same time? And if so can you just use the opposing ones resulting in a net gain of +2 for both stats?
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q68

What happens to the summoner's eidolon when it reaches 0 or fewer hit points? Does get disabled/starts dying as normal? Also, if the eidolon has less than half of its hp at the end of the day, wouldn't it be more efficient (if somewhat distasteful) to just kill it and it would return the next day with half its total?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Q69: I've read somewhere that some people believe that an oracle in elemental form from a revelation can not cast spells.

Is there any reason that a character under effect of an elemental body spell can not cast spells? Characters under polyorph effect retain all their abilities unless they are missing required body parts. Since all elementals speak a language and make slam attacks, they have the ability to provide verbal components and hands for somatic components.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A69

That's arguable, I see magic as a fine art so being able to cast a spell just because you can slam something is like giving a painter a roller for painting walls and asking him to paint you a masterpiece on a regular canvas. By RAW I don't exactly see anything wrong with an elemental casting spells that only have verbal and somatic components but material components might be out of the question.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Heart View Post
    Q67 Can you use a mutagen and a Cognatogen at the same time? And if so can you just use the opposing ones resulting in a net gain of +2 for both stats?
    A67
    A Cognatogen is a "mutagen-like" mixture, and follows the standard rules for Mutagen despite its different name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Benefit: The alchemist gains the ability to create a cognatogen, a mutagen-like mixture that heightens one mental ability score at the expense of a physical ability score. [...] All limitations of mutagens apply to cognatogens as if they were the same substance—an alchemist can only maintain one mutagen or cognatogen at a time, a cognatogen that is not in an alchemist’s possession becomes inert, drinking a cognatogen makes a non-alchemist sick, and so on. [...]

So while you can use a Cognatogen and a Mutagen at the same time, the Alchemist can only be under the effect of one Mutagen, so the second one's effects replace the initial one's.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A non-alchemist who drinks a mutagen must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 the alchemist’s level + the alchemist’s Intelligence modifier) or become nauseated for 1 hour—a non-alchemist can never gain the benefit of a mutagen, but an alchemist can gain the effects of another alchemist’s mutagen if he drinks it. (Although if the other alchemist creates a different mutagen, the effects of the “stolen” mutagen immediately cease.) The effects of a mutagen do not stack. Whenever an alchemist drinks a mutagen, the effects of any previous mutagen immediately end.

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Q68

What happens to the summoner's eidolon when it reaches 0 or fewer hit points? Does get disabled/starts dying as normal? Also, if the eidolon has less than half of its hp at the end of the day, wouldn't it be more efficient (if somewhat distasteful) to just kill it and it would return the next day with half its total?
    A68
    The rules are unclear, so it's really a DM call. However the RAI is that the Eidolon, unlike a normal summon, is only sent back upon death, so it is quite likely that Eidolons get disabled/dying as normal.

And yes, in such a situation it is mechanically better to slay the Eidolon, but doing so is most probably an evil act since it's the same as slaying your immortal dog because it'll "come back later" and is your "best friend, forever". But you can actually make a wand of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon as long as you actually know the spell and sits by the side of someone who has Craft Wand through the whole crafting proccess.

Q69: I've read somewhere that some people believe that an oracle in elemental form from a revelation can not cast spells.

Is there any reason that a character under effect of an elemental body spell can not cast spells? Characters under polyorph effect retain all their abilities unless they are missing required body parts. Since all elementals speak a language and make slam attacks, they have the ability to provide verbal components and hands for somatic components.
    A69
    Since the RAW mentions nothing of the elementals being able to make precise gestures (and by extension somatic spell components), but while the RAI seems to be that they indeed can, it also seems to hint at them not being able to do almost anything requiring finesse unless they're "generally humanoid in form" (in fact, I don't think that any of the standard elementals cast any spells, they just command elements or have SLAs).

As such, many people (DMs included) believe that a caster in elemental form is unable to cast spells with somatic components, most probably compelled to think this way as opposed to "elementals can cast" due to the usual power level of casters vs. melee, which just increases if now the caster is an elemental.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-24 at 09:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Q70
    If you have sneak attack and can cast scorching ray, do you get sneak attack on all of them if you meet the requirements for sneak attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q71

Is there any actual limit to how many limbs an eidolon can have? I seem to remember seeing some kind of limit somewhere but I can't find anything except for max number of natural attacks. Am I missing something or can it have like 24 arms with a weapon in each one?

11. - Top - End - #221

Daemon

A70 When you cast a spell such as Scorching Ray or Magic Missile, as well as if you are using Many Shot when shooting your bow, you only apply precision damage to the first ray/missile/arrow.

-edit-
    A71 There is indeed nothing that stops you selecting the Limbs evolution multiple times. While each of these limbs may be used to wield a weapon, you must however remember that all the penalties for wielding multiple weapons apply. To counter these you should select Multiweapon Fighting.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-10-24 at 05:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    A70 When you cast a spell such as Scorching Ray or Magic Missile, as well as if you are using Many Shot when shooting your bow, you only apply precision damage to the first ray/missile/arrow..
    A 70 Addendum:

Can anyone supply a source for this? I know it was mentioned in Complete Arcane, but is there anything in Pathfinder material? This has come up a few times before, and I've never seen a definitive answer according to PF RAW.

13. - Top - End - #223

Daemon

A70 Addendum:
    How does the Surprise Spells class feature of the Arcane Trickster prestige class (Core Rulebook, page 378) work with spells like magic missile and fireball?
    The Surprise Spells class feature allows the Arcane Trickster to add his sneak attack dice to spells that deal damage that target flat-footed foes. This damage is only applied once per spell. In the case of fireball this means it affects all targets in the area, with each getting a save to halve the damage (including the sneak attack damage). In the case of magic missile, the extra damage is only added once to one missile, chosen by the caster when the spell is cast.

Jason Bulmahn, 05/31/11
    There ya go

-edit-
    Also, see the description of the Manyshot feat, regarding precision damage and multiple arrows.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2011-10-24 at 05:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Q71 Q72
    Replacing and Copying Spellbooks

A wizard can use the procedure for learning a spell to reconstruct a lost spellbook. If he already has a particular spell prepared, he can write it directly into a new book at the same cost required to write a spell into a spellbook. The process wipes the prepared spell from his mind, just as casting it would. If he does not have the spell prepared, he can prepare it from a borrowed spellbook and then write it into a new book.
    emphasis mine

Which procedure does the first sentence refer to?
    The paragraphs "Spells Gained at a New Level", "Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll" and "Independent Research" from the same page?

Does that mean you will have to re-learn your lost spells from scratch (if you can't borrough a book containing them), for example by spending your 2 spells per levels?
    Last edited by Zejety; 2011-10-25 at 11:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    Q71 Q72

Which procedure does the first sentence refer to?
    The paragraphs "Spells Gained at a New Level", "Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll" and "Independent Research" from the same page?

Does that mean you will have to re-learn your lost spells from scratch (if you can't borrough a book containing them), for example by spending your 2 spells per levels?
    A71 A72
    Any of them actually, depends on what the Wizard is doing to get his set of spells again. It was a bit unnecessary, since that's the RAI, but that line turns it into RAW, meaning that a Wizard does not have any discounts when remaking his grimoire, despite the fact that he once knew those very same spells (appart from spells he had prepared, which do not need a Spellcraft check).

And yes, it does mean that a Wizard, if so inclined, can spend his 2 spells/level to re-learn a specific spell.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-25 at 09:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A71 There is indeed nothing that stops you selecting the Limbs evolution multiple times. While each of these limbs may be used to wield a weapon, you must however remember that all the penalties for wielding multiple weapons apply. To counter these you should select Multiweapon Fighting.
    I know but it's a bit ridiculous that your eidolon can get an arbitrary amount of attacks per round at -4 penalty with MWF as long as it has enough evolution points to get more arms. There should be some kind of limit.

17. - Top - End - #227

I know but it's a bit ridiculous that your eidolon can get an arbitrary amount of attacks per round at -4 penalty with MWF as long as it has enough evolution points to get more arms. There should be some kind of limit.
    Synthesists do have a cap, so maybe later on they'll do such an errata for normal Eidolons as well.

Even so, never forget the cost of so many weapons. It's meaningless to have 40 attacks per round if only 5 of them hit and out of those only one actually does any meaningful damage.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Q73:In the PF SRD it says under "Celestial Creature": "Celestial creatures dwell in the higher planes, but can be summoned using spells such as summon monster and planar ally."

However, planar ally affects only outsiders and the celestial creature template does not mention a change to creature type. (3.5e explicitly states that animals and vermins become magical beast, but all other types remain unchanged.)

Is there anything official, or something different in the books, that clairifies if celestial creatures can be called by planar ally spells?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    It's meaningless to have 40 attacks per round if only 5 of them hit and out of those only one actually does any meaningful damage.
    Having 40 attacks is the farthest thing from meaningless when you're playing with the Critical Hit Deck and all the weapons are keen scimitars. Then again, we're also playing the Critical Miss Deck, so 40 bad attacks might be a good way to lose a few fingers and a spleen every round.

A73 Well a creature from another plane is by definition an outsider. But yes, the celestial and fiendish templates don't change the creature type. I don't think there's any other clarification on the matter (at least none I've seen) but as far as definitions go, templates are more specific than types and hence take precedence. So if the template says you can do it, you can do it. At least that's how I see it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Q74: If a flying creature is Dazed and thus prevented from taking an action, can it still make a Fly check to hover, or does it automatically crash?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

A74: As I understand the skill, flying always requires to take a move action (or a charge). The skilly says that a Fly check is never an action, but part of another action. Since a dazed creature can neither take a move action to fly at standard speed and not having to make a Fly check, nor a move action to Hover in place, it would presumedly fall when dazed.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

A70 Addendum:

There ya go

-edit-
    Also, see the description of the Manyshot feat, regarding precision damage and multiple arrows.
    Q70 Adendum
    Yes, but one, manyshot you only roll once. With those spells mentioned, the only way to even get sneak attack is with the Surprise Spells. WIth Scorching Ray, you roll for each 4d6 ray.
    Should I make a thread on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

A73 Well a creature from another plane is by definition an outsider. But yes, the celestial and fiendish templates don't change the creature type. I don't think there's any other clarification on the matter (at least none I've seen) but as far as definitions go, templates are more specific than types and hence take precedence. So if the template says you can do it, you can do it. At least that's how I see it.
    The difference is that an outsider from Celestia is a spiritual entity that's literally made out of the idea of Celestia-ness, while a celestial creature just happens to be native to that plane and is otherwise normal.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-10-25 at 01:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Q70 Adendum
    Yes, but one, manyshot you only roll once. With those spells mentioned, the only way to even get sneak attack is with the Surprise Spells. WIth Scorching Ray, you roll for each 4d6 ray.
    Should I make a thread on this?
    Probably a good call, yeah.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    The difference is that an outsider from Celestia is a spiritual entity that's literally made out of the idea of Celestia-ness, while a celestial creature just happens to be native to that plane and is otherwise normal.
    Yes, that is where (most) outsiders differ from creatures on the material plane. I had no intention of arguing that point since celestial creatures don't get the outsider type, I was merely implying that all extraplanar creatures can be considered outsiders as far as fluff is concerned. I gave my opinion on the RAW in the second part of my post.

A70

I have found no ruling in the current Pathfinder rules that would prevent you from applying sneak attack more than once (I half-expected to find something in UM). Therefore you follow the standard rules for sneak attacks, one sneak attack per attack roll.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A74: As I understand the skill, flying always requires to take a move action (or a charge). The skilly says that a Fly check is never an action, but part of another action. Since a dazed creature can neither take a move action to fly at standard speed and not having to make a Fly check, nor a move action to Hover in place, it would presumedly fall when dazed.
    What if it has the Hover feat?

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What if it has the Hover feat?
    A 74 Additional

The creature would remain airborne.

Hover: A creature with this feat can halt its movement while flying, allowing it to hover without needing to make a Fly skill check.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q75
    Is retraining in pathfinder, if so where/what are the rules for it? Replacing feats/class levels/etc is what I mean by retraining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

29. - Top - End - #239

Q76
    When learning "Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law" from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, do you have to chose an alignment right away or on a per-cast basis?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

A76: Since there are four seperate spell descriptions, they are four seperate skills. This means you have to learn and prepare each variant seperately.

Blindness/Deafness is a single spell, so you can just prepare it and decide which way to use it when you cast it.