New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A Pathfinder (By RAW) I

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Q75
    Is retraining in pathfinder, if so where/what are the rules for it? Replacing feats/class levels/etc is what I mean by retraining.
    A75
    Other than the Fighter class feature of retraining his feats (gained from extra feats, he can't retrain feats gained from leveling), I don't think there is any rule.

However, it is mentioned in every new book, iirc, that since new feats, spells, classes, archetypes, etc are released and that they sometimes will fit a PC's concept better than anything else that existed up to that point, upon DM's approval they can be all retrained and retconned.

A simple example is the Magus, which is the Pathfinder gish-in-a-can, I can only imagine how many Eldritch Knights (or people on the road to get there) begged their DMs so they could be Magi instead because the class fit the "someone trained since day one to be a gish" as opposed to a "Wizard who learns to wave a pointy stick/Fighter who learns to cast spells".

2. - Top - End - #242

Q77 (I think)
    One of the Alchemist bomb-additive powers states that the intended target catches fire and burns until it puts itself out. Silly question, but if the target can't put itself out, does it burn for eternity? is this time to step outside RAW?

3. - Top - End - #243

Quote Originally Posted by panaikhan View Post
    Q77 (I think)
    One of the Alchemist bomb-additive powers states that the intended target catches fire and burns until it puts itself out. Silly question, but if the target can't put itself out, does it burn for eternity? is this time to step outside RAW?
    A77 (I also think)
    You mean Explosive Bomb, right?

And yes, by RAW the flames keep burning the target forever if they aren't extinguished. But I don't think the omission of the duration is an accident, I do believe that it was the designers' intent to mimic the effects of a massive explosion, which burns and destroys everything in time if not contained.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

A77b

Here's the full rules about catching on fire. By RAW, the fire does not end until a successful reflex save is made or it is put out by smothering, etc.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q78.

When one becomes an Outsider (for example via the Monk capstone) does that retroactively affect his BaB, HD, skills, etc? Or only from that point on? Or even at all?
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-10-26 at 10:01 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246

A78

It depends mostly on by what means the creature is changing type. As per the monk example:

Perfect Self: At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. He is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk's creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects.
    It does not say anything about changing BAB, HD, etc.

Most templates that change a creature's type specify what statistics to change. Compare with Vampire.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Q 79: The Witch's Misfortune Hex + Cackle:

I have a question about how much the Misfortune hex actually covers....

Anytime the creature makes an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check
    Would this include things like concentration (for spellcasting) rolls as well?

Also, it appears by the RAW that the witch can, as long as he has a move action available and uses the Cackle ability, render a mob who fails his will save unable to do anything that requires a d20 (or at least have a severely limited likelihood of succeeding). Is this off, are there d20 rolls NOT effected by this ability?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

A79: Technically, Concentration is neither a skill check, nor an ability check. A caster level check would be the closest thing, but that one isn't listed under the misfortune Hex.

So as written, Concentration checks are not affected by misfortune.

Cackle can continue indefinately as long as you spend move actions. It is considered a very good ability.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

Q80

Can the spell Abundant Ammunition (Ultimate Combat) be cast upon the bolt case of a Repeating Crossbow to forestall the need to reload until after the end of the spell?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Q81: Does Rapid Shot work with thrown weapons?

11. - Top - End - #251

Daemon

A81 Yes. The feat description does not stipulate that you must use a certain type of ranged weapon.
    When making a full-attack action with a ranged weapon, you can fire one additional time this round

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Q80

Can the spell Abundant Ammunition (Ultimate Combat) be cast upon the bolt case of a Repeating Crossbow to forestall the need to reload until after the end of the spell?
    A80
    Yes, it can, attention to the bolded part:

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    When cast on a container such as a quiver or a pouch that contains nonmagical ammunition or shuriken (including masterwork ammunition or shuriken), at the start of each round this spell replaces any ammunition taken from the container the round before. The ammunition taken from the container the round before vanishes. If, after casting this spell, you cast a spell that enhances projectiles, such as align weapon or greater magic weapon, on the same container, all projectiles this spell conjures are affected by that spell.
    This means that the spell works with anything that is close in function to a quiver or ammo pouch, the bolt case of a repeating crossbow seems to fit the description just fine.

13. - Top - End - #253

A80

Concurring opinion:

I actually went out to disprove that this would work and instead found this in the description of crossbow ammunition:

Benefit: Bolts come in a case or quiver that holds 10 bolts (or 5 for a repeating crossbow).
    The RAW seems to be pretty clear that a repeating crossbow has a quiver and would be eligible for the spell.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Q82
    What ways are there in 1st party Pathfinder of changing the type of elemental damage of spells?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

A82

There is only one way I can think of, and that is a wizard specializing in the admixture subschool of evocation.

(I'm assuming you meant "first level")
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-27 at 02:46 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    A82

There is only one way I can think of, and that is a wizard specializing in the admixture subschool of evocation.

(I'm assuming you meant "first level")
    A82 Addendum:
    Actually, I don't, though that could maybe work. A level dip in wizard would put me even further behind on spells, but it technically would apply to spells gotten from other classes, right?
    To clarify, no, it doesn't have to be first level. It doesn't even have to be all four elements, though elemental bloodline sorcerer is out.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

A82

Oh, hold on. By first party did you mean not 3rd party (which I believe is assumed in most requests)?

In that case, I know that Elemental Spell works as well, including rods of Elemental Spell. It's not the most efficient way, however.

One can also dip into sorcerer for the bloodline arcana of the Djinni/Efreeti/Marid/Shaitan bloodlines. (Also available at level 1)
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-27 at 03:55 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

A82
    Sorcerer bloodlines don't work as this is for a build that uses two different sorcerer bloodlines.
    But thanks for the heads up on Elemental Spell. That works as well I could expect.

19. - Top - End - #259

Daemon

A82 Clarification: You should not expect the benefits of the Admixture Evocation School powers to apply to spells received from other classes. I will admit that the wording does not explicitly state this, but as a DM I certainly would not allow it.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    A82 Clarification: You should not expect the benefits of the Admixture Evocation School powers to apply to spells received from other classes. I will admit that the wording does not explicitly state this, but as a DM I certainly would not allow it.
    RAW (see: thread title), it applies to all spells casted by the character, regardless of what class it comes from. Whether you allow it as a DM or not is irrelevant.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-28 at 07:34 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q. 83

For the Craft Alchemy skill.... when it says 'convert the gp value to the value in sp' (i.e. x10), is that the market gp value? or the 1/3 gp value of raw materials that you need to craft?
    Last edited by von Tortrix; 2011-10-28 at 05:23 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Q84

(a) Can you make a conscious (friendly) creature drink a potion? Let's say an ally is getting dangerously low on hp but they don't have any actions left to drink a potion, can you "feed" them a potion on your turn if you're adjacent to them? My gut says no, since all turns in a round basically happen at the same time and if the character is doing something else, it can't also drink a potion but the question frequently pops up and I can't find any rules for it.

(b) What kind of action is handing an item to an ally? I'd like to say it's a free action (it seems kinda like switching a weapon from one hand to the other, which is a free action) but is there an actual rule for it?
    Last edited by Keneth; 2011-10-28 at 05:47 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

A83: The SRD says "Find the items price in silver pieces", so that would be the market price, not any other "cost".

"Pay 1/3 of the items price for the raw materials cost" is a step that comes later.
    Last edited by Yora; 2011-10-28 at 06:27 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Q84

(a) Can you make a conscious (friendly) creature drink a potion? Let's say an ally is getting dangerously low on hp but they don't have any actions left to drink a potion, can you "feed" them a potion on your turn if you're adjacent to them? My gut says no, since all turns in a round basically happen at the same time and if the character is doing something else, it can't also drink a potion but the question frequently pops up and I can't find any rules for it.

(b) What kind of action is handing an item to an ally? I'd like to say it's a free action (it seems kinda like switching a weapon from one hand to the other, which is a free action) but is there an actual rule for it?
    A84

a. No. By the rules, you can only drink a potion yourself, or administer it to an unconscious creature as a full-round action. See: here under "activation."

b. To my knowledge, there are no rules for this. The closest thing I can find is "moving or maniuplating an object is usually a move action," under the combat rules.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-28 at 07:42 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A83: The SRD says "Find the items price in silver pieces", so that would be the market price, not any other "cost".

"Pay 1/3 of the items price for the raw materials cost" is a step that comes later.
    A83+
    Either way, it's a calculation with only multiplication and division, so it makes no difference what comes first.

Example: Item costs 20gp

Apply before the 1/3: 20 x 10 = 200 /3 = 66.666... -> 66.7

Apply after the 1/3: 20 /3 = 6.6666... -> 6.67 x 10 = 66.7

Q84

A84
    (a) Yes you can, making someone friendly and conscious drink a potion is a standard action on your part (same as activating a potion normally, or if you prefer to think this way, "applying an oil" on your fallen comrade). While someone unconscious (in this case he doesn't have to be friendly, unconscious = willing) is a full action.

It's under the potions entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil. The following rules govern potion and oil use.

Drinking a potion or using an oil is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container, preventing the character from drinking the potion or applying the oil.

A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures cannot use potions or oils. Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion or use an oil.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature's throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.

(b) I don't think there's any specific rule about that, but I believe it's about the same as retrieving a stored item, so I'd say it's a move action that provokes AoO.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Larpus View Post
    (a) Yes you can, making someone friendly and conscious drink a potion is a standard action on your part (same as activating a potion normally, or if you prefer to think this way, "applying an oil" on your fallen comrade). While someone unconscious (in this case he doesn't have to be friendly, unconscious = willing) is a full action.
    Actually this isn't covered by that section. Applying an oil on someone else still doesn't make much sense in a combat situation unless the subject is unconscious or not moving. And the oil and potion are not interchangeable anyway (you can't make an oil of cure light wounds afaik). It's evident from the fact that there's no mention of who triggers an AoO, in the case of oils, it would be the one applying it but in the case of potions it would have to be both since you have to take your focus off to drink something.

(b) I don't think there's any specific rule about that, but I believe it's about the same as retrieving a stored item, so I'd say it's a move action that provokes AoO.
    Actually, unless you have the potions stashed in a backpack, it might be more akin to drawing a weapon, so a move action with no AoO on your part and a free (or maybe immediate) action for the the receiver. This seems like a really basic action though, it's gotta be defined somewhere, maybe in one of the 3e splatbooks.
    Last edited by Keneth; 2011-10-28 at 10:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

A84

It's under the potions entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Activation: Drinking a potion or applying an oil requires no special skill. The user merely removes the stopper and swallows the potion or smears on the oil. The following rules govern potion and oil use.

Drinking a potion or using an oil is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container, preventing the character from drinking the potion or applying the oil.

A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures cannot use potions or oils. Any corporeal creature can imbibe a potion or use an oil.

A character can carefully administer a potion to an unconscious creature as a full-round action, trickling the liquid down the creature's throat. Likewise, it takes a full-round action to apply an oil to an unconscious creature.
    A84 Dispute
    This was the exact section I linked to in my answer, and nowhere does it say you are allowed to give a conscious friendly creature a potion. You are allowed to give an unconscious creature a potion, and you are allowed to give yourself one. Nothing else.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

A 84 additional

I can see both sides of the argument. However, in the tradition of the 3.5 Q&A thread, I'm going to suggest that this clearly isn't a simple question, and we should move the discussion to a new thread so that this one doesn't get off track.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

29. - Top - End - #269

Actually, unless you have the potions stashed in a backpack, it might be more akin to drawing a weapon, so a move action with no AoO on your part and a free (or maybe immediate) action for the the receiver. This seems like a really basic action though, it's gotta be defined somewhere, maybe in one of the 3e splatbooks.
    A83(b)+
    I agree that it's weird it's not covered anywhere.

Anyway, regarding whether or not it provokes an AoO or not, I'd say it depends on how you pass the item. Passing it carefully to someone else's hand provokes, since it's quite similar to sheathing a weapon.

Simply throwing to them or similar doesn't, but the DM might require some sort of Dex check for the other person to grab the item.

In the end, unless some specific rule is found, it's a DM call.

EDIT: Some wording.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2011-10-28 at 10:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A83+
    Either way, it's a calculation with only multiplication and division, so it makes no difference what comes first.

Example: Item costs 20gp

Apply before the 1/3: 20 x 10 = 200 /3 = 66.666... -> 66.7

Apply after the 1/3: 20 /3 = 6.6666... -> 6.67 x 10 = 66.7

But it does make a difference in this situation because the length of time it takes it determined by this value so either

a) item costs 20gp x10 =200sp and i'd make a craft check x the DC of that particular item = Y divide 200 by Y and that is the percentage of completion for a week. and this would cost my character 6.666gp (20/3)

or

b) item costs (20gp x10)/3 =66.6sp and i'd make a craft check x the DC of that particular item = Y divide 66.6 by Y and that is the percentage of completion for a week. and this would also cost me 6.666gp

i havn't drank my coffee quota for this time of the day so excuse me if this was poorly articulated.