New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

What is the best method for farming Apalling secrets? I'm currently pursuing the "Making a name in the Underworld" storylet and I need to obtain 8 "uses of villains", and I need some more appalling secrets(It's either that or I go through the "Someone is trying to kill you" storylet over and over, which is acceptable as well if it's the easier route.

In other news, just got my Basalt Gymnasium today, as well as my first look at the level 16 Plant storylet AND my first card for restarting the "Dreams of Thunder" bit now that I'm "Stormy-Eyed". Over-all, it's been a productive day ^^ Cost me a ton to raise up my "Making a name in the underworld" tho, about 300 echoes worth of Rostygold.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Congrats Starwulf, I dream of days when I can get some home comforts but 300 echos worth of Rostygold? wow.

Question - can anyone currently see any twitter friends in Fallen London? I just get this message We couldn't retrieve your friends from Twitter. This is usually the Fail Whale at play: let us know if it persists. I usually have my menaces under control, but naturally, as soon as I couldn't see my friends anymore my menaces started to have a wild party.
    Gotta love Murphy

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Nemesis completed up to the current point, my loved one is now partially avenged, but now I have to find out why?

Also, the Iron Republic is an insane, dadaist masterpiece.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hey Aidan, that's cool. I'm so far away from that point in Nemesis, but I'm looking forward to it.

As for twitter friends, that glitch seems to have been fixed, thank heavens.

As for me, I'm in the Labyrinth, getting very, very, lost, but boosting my dangerous, which had somehow become my lowest stat, so all is well.

So, with all stats between 100 and 110, I've been thinking about my favourite places.

1. The University (first part). I'm avoiding for now the need to move this forward because I simply love the place. I know I need to start my own department, but can anyone tell me if I lose my nightmare fix if I move this forward?

2. Mahogany Hall. The rewards are quite good, but what I love is the atmosphere. Kind of campy - hmm, why are there not more Bohemians here?

3. The Flit. I'm having a simply wonderful time being a thief, I can't tell you.

4. ? Wilmot's End? I'm a bit low level for this (everything is chancy and above) but I think I'm going to love this bit.

So what have I learned? That I'm a spy and thief at heart, in a bookish kinda way. But I do have an unexpected exhibitionist streak. While I'll do what is necessary in a violent or political/social way, that's really not my thing.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Wilmot's End is fun the first few times, but gets old if you have to cycle through it a few dozen times for components. I made the mistake of grinding up my Collated Researches for God's Editors that way, which unfortunately turned out to be the slow route.

If you move your university plans forward, I believe you do lose the nightmare reducer. The first part of the university is very useful, and very profitable, so don't be afraid to hold onto it for a while.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Soo, uhh...any ideas on that Appalling secret farming I asked in my last post? I haven't done anything in a few days, I think I burned myself out on doing Wilmots end over and over trying to get Strong-Backed labour for my Gym, and then before that all those whirring contraptions + Strong-backed labour for my submarine. I think I'd rather farm for an actual item every action then go through the same storylet over and over to get an item after accumulating level 2 Dramatic Tension right now.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't think of any off the top of my head. Trading in Cryptic Clues is probably your best bet.

It appears I have come in to a small amount of Fate as a belated birthday present. I've unlocked the Soul Trade, Jack of Smiles, and The Bishop's Plans.

Any suggestions for what to unlock with the 85 remaining Fate?
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-06-14 at 05:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Barbarian in the Playground

I did the someone-is-trying-to-kill-you story over and over until I had my Use of Villains. It might be boring, but at least you can have a little variation in grinding with the three places. Then again, I must've hit more than a hundred couriers to get enough materials to trade for my gym, so anything is more interesting than that.

According to the forum, it seems Flute Street, Secrets Framed in Gold, and Theological Husbandry are the popular ones.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Exciting news (for me, anyway) I've got a voluminous library!!

So, I've taken a quick look at wiki's etc and it appears that I should have stats at base 115 or so before contemplating a zee voyage - does that sound right? (I mostly do modest/straightforward challenges and have mostly +9 to +11 groups of gear).

10. - Top - End - #880
    Orc in the Playground

Hi guys, newbie here (Watchful/Dangerous around 42).. The old wounds are creeping up thought, since I've been building dangerous pretty aggressively..

I have the potions to keep death at bay, but I'm wondering, should I bother? Judging by my time in a state of confusion, the quickest and cheapest way to heal up is just to go over 8, am I right? Any major downsides to death? Any upsides?

I love this game and being able to ask those questions!
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't bother spending money on the wound-healing consumables, no. There's very little downside to temporarily dying, since you can play chess against the boatman for a while to get out. It's easier if you have equipment that raises Watchful, due to the way that storylet is set up; it gets harder depending on how high your Watchful is, so the ideal solution is to shuffle equipment to get your Watchful high enough to be able to reliably succeed on one of the options but low enough that it doesn't bump you up to the next tier.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Hi guys, newbie here (Watchful/Dangerous around 42).. The old wounds are creeping up thought, since I've been building dangerous pretty aggressively..

I have the potions to keep death at bay, but I'm wondering, should I bother? Judging by my time in a state of confusion, the quickest and cheapest way to heal up is just to go over 8, am I right? Any major downsides to death? Any upsides?

I love this game and being able to ask those questions!
    With regard to downsides: No-one knows. Given the presence of Hesperidian Cider in the bazaar it may at some point be important. But who knows? (Other than the Devs)

The one that is important is Nightmares. Try to avoid a state of confusion if at all possible as it can destroy your progression with your Dreaming Strange Dreams.

Upsides, you can unlock a story in Death that lets you deliver a mission to the Gracious Widow. Exile to the Tomb Colonies will, at a much later point, allow you to get a tomb lion.

Suspicion gets you arrested and sent to New Newgate where you'll want to meet the Repentant Forger.

Plagued by a popular song makes your weasels explode.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-07-04 at 03:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Plagued by a popular song makes your weasels explode.
    "Pop! Goes the weasel!"

And what does Scandal do? I've had Nightmare, Wounds and Suspicion catch up with me, but not that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

Scandal puts you in the tomb-colonies. You can either cash in connections to reduce your scandal reasonably quick, or spend a chunk of loot (foxfire candles, proscribed materials, or primordial shrieks IIRC) to gain connections while reducing your scandal. Or take the slow route, of course.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks folks. I died, got the delivery quest and back out in about 20 actions. Might have been faster with the potions (I have like 20 due to some lucky drops), but more than happy to have saved them.

Now back to the Dueling ring :-D

16. - Top - End - #886
    Orc in the Playground

FYI, compiled the list of qualities which get you those oh so tasty messages that give you massive level boosts. I've gotten a few this week already, definitely seems they can occur more than once/week!

If you're in the 40s, it's worth spending an action now and then to get yourself into these states (as many as you like!). Don't do this if you are worried about rushing through content!

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/C...Built_in_Blood
    http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/C...ives_in_Shadow
    http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/C...f_Other_Places
    http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/C...ring_Attention

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Scandal puts you in the tomb-colonies. You can either cash in connections to reduce your scandal reasonably quick, or spend a chunk of loot (foxfire candles, proscribed materials, or primordial shrieks IIRC) to gain connections while reducing your scandal. Or take the slow route, of course.
    Aww shucks, I've always wanted to visit the tomb-colonies, but I don't want to sacrifice connections or spend that loot.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

18. - Top - End - #888
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just go the card that can give me the Royal Bethleham Hotel. Is it better to try to use Antique mysteries, or prisoner's honey? my stats with items is watchful 71, dangerous 32, Persuasive 42, Shadow 60.

I have 380ish prisoners honey and 0 mysteries.
    Last edited by rweird; 2012-07-09 at 08:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Orc in the Playground

Mysteries, because you can steal them off Feducci later (in Flit, with high enough shadowy). Honey grinding would be too slow (and you are not a Person of Some Importance yet, going by your stats).
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

20. - Top - End - #890

Thanks, I'll start grinding shadowy now. How high do I need to get it?
    Last edited by rweird; 2012-07-10 at 10:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Orc in the Playground

Well, it opens up at Shadowy 73, but you need over 100 for it to be better the almost impossible. But, on the plus side, you don't lose much actually, since both success and failure gives you the item, you are only set back on your Casing more if you fail.
    But I have to warn you, it's going to be a grind so long, you will be pulling your hair out.
    ---

22. - Top - End - #892

Shadowy now 64 with items, 9 more to go. How hard is it to refine normal mysteries to antique mysteries?

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Shadowy now 64 with items, 9 more to go. How hard is it to refine normal mysteries to antique mysteries?
    To reiterate, the grind is mind-numbingly long unless you wait until PoSI. 73 is the minimum to unlock the option, but you really want 100+ so you can do it in a more reasonable amount of time. I'd advise simply waiting until then.

And you steal Antique Mysteries directly from Feducci with this option. There are no mysteries to refine.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

24. - Top - End - #894

Should I discard it then and wait or keep it and wait?

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

Discard it anyways, no matter if you are going to grind it out or not. You will be getting it fairly often, no point in cluttering your held cards.
    ---

26. - Top - End - #896

I'm now working up my watchful. I just got the What did you see in the Shadows again, and got that which lives in the shadows after that from pickpocketing the ring fight. I think I'll do the forgotten quarter until I get bored, wait for the event to pop up again and maybe explore the Flit more.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

When I go insane I go to the mirror mashes instead of the Royal Bethleham Hotel. Does anyone know why this happens?

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeGninjas View Post
    When I go insane I go to the mirror mashes instead of the Royal Bethleham Hotel. Does anyone know why this happens?
    IIRC it's because you have Memories of Light in your inventory.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, thanks.

30. - Top - End - #900

I have shadowy of 74 now, how high a casing do I need to get the antique mysteries, and what is the storylet that gives it called?