New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 33 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Echo Bazaar

Anyone else playing this intriguing little browser game?
    I started a few days ago, after hearing about it on Extra Credits, and I must say, it's quite fun. Set in a sort of victorian London that disappeared into the earth years ago the game is full of nice writing, intriguing mysteries and dark humor.
    A highly recommended way of wasting a few minutes here and there.

Echo Bazaar
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

I used to play it a fair bit. Kind of got bored once my main stats were hitting the 80s-90s region though, as it just becomes a bit of a grind fest.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I play it. It's a bit grindy, yeah, but it doesn't require much of a time investment and the writing is often quite fun. My stats are currently hovering around 60ish right now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

100 Watchful (+7 with my current loadout), Shadowy 35 (-4 with my items), Dangerous 97 (-3 with items), and Persuasive 53 (-3 with items). I've gotten back to a point where some really interesting stuff (Black Ribbon, University Department of _______, Labyrinth of Tigers) is happening...oh, and I'm saving up money to buy Prisoner's Honey for a room at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel. Yes, you can do that.

The writing is very interesting, as is the main mechanic of the game. I just wish I had access to some of the earlier storylets that were put in after I joined on.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a couple different equipment sets, so I can gear up for either +9 watchful, +10 dangerous, +7 shadowy, or +6 persuasive. It'll be +7 persuasive once I manage to get two more sapphires for that walking stick...

6. - Top - End - #6

Hehe, I still have a lot to discover compared to you guys then, I got +21 shadowy, +29 persuasive, +17 watchful and +3 dangerous

Btw, does anyone remember how to get souls? I need one to activate a card (I really like to play with the devils...)
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

If nothing else, you can sell items in the Bazaar to buy souls. They go for 4 pence a pop, I think.

You wanna know something that's massively crazy? I'm saving up for a storylet that requires 40,000 Prisoner's Honey (4 pence apiece). And I'm well over halfway there.

Eurus: Very nice! I'm not sure where to find all the gems for the walking-stick...
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2011-09-08 at 12:58 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #8

I've started poking around a bit the last couple of days. Apparently I'm deranged from nightmares already.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    I've started poking around a bit the last couple of days. Apparently I'm deranged from nightmares already.
    Keep an eye on that meter, or you go to somewhere else entirely. (I love the little Quality descriptors they tagged on. It makes gaining levels in any quality mean a whole lot more.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    If nothing else, you can sell items in the Bazaar to buy souls. They go for 4 pence a pop, I think.

You wanna know something that's massively crazy? I'm saving up for a storylet that requires 40,000 Prisoner's Honey (4 pence apiece). And I'm well over halfway there.

Eurus: Very nice! I'm not sure where to find all the gems for the walking-stick...
    Venom-rubies can be obtained by winning mushroom-races. I think the only reliable way to get sapphires is in the Labyrinth of Tigers... I don't even remember where I got my first three from.

I did have a whoooole lot of stuff saved up, but I sold quite a bit to buy my Patent Scrutinizer Deluxe. So much jade... Got a good half-dozen houses, though. All of the cheap ones, anyway.

Also, ambitions. Who has what, out of curiosity? Heart's Desire for me. Managed to finish gathering first city coins, just grinding stats up now for the next few steps.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2011-09-09 at 11:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I picked it up yesterday, shortly after a friend who suggested it to me. Absolutely LOVING it, especially the look and style and writing. The Night Circus is also very very nice. Made by the same people and has the same general gameplay, but it's more of an adventure than a game (no stats or weapons or anything, just story) and it's in a different setting. It's a strange, magical circus in the dead of night that you get to enjoy and unveil the secrets of.

As for where I am in Echo Bazaar... I don't even have every stat in the double digits yet. I really just started yesterday, and I have a few hours until I can start playing again. Hey, maybe we in this thread should follow each other to become friends ingame? I have a throwaway twitter for it found here, and I would be glad to follow anyone in here for the game.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure! I'm Eurus500 on Twitter, and I'm always happy to do some cat-passing, nightmare-sharing, or whatever social actions.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Sure! I'm Eurus500 on Twitter, and I'm always happy to do some cat-passing, nightmare-sharing, or whatever social actions.
    Done. Pleasure to meet and do business with you.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Venom-rubies can be obtained by winning mushroom-races. I think the only reliable way to get sapphires is in the Labyrinth of Tigers... I don't even remember where I got my first three from.
    Ah, okay! And good thing I have a pass to the Labyrinth...
    I did have a whoooole lot of stuff saved up, but I sold quite a bit to buy my Patent Scrutinizer Deluxe. So much jade... Got a good half-dozen houses, though. All of the cheap ones, anyway.
    Whew. I know the feeling.
    Also, ambitions. Who has what, out of curiosity? Heart's Desire for me. Managed to finish gathering first city coins, just grinding stats up now for the next few steps.
    I have Nemesis, the guy killed my daughter, so I'm after him. I'm raising my Dangerous (I think it's at 107 or so with items now...maybe that's enough lol), and then it's off to the Tomb-Colonies to showdown.

At the moment, though, I'm grinding commodities to purchase a reservation at the RBH.

Also, I'm playersideblog on the game. It'd be good to have some people to do social actions with!
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2011-09-09 at 03:18 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There are a fair few places once you've gone Further in the Fallen London where you can get the Venom Rubies, and I believe that you can buy the in the Bazaar Side Streets.

Nemesis for me. I'm saving up for my Ship so that I can cross the Unterzee to the Iron Republic.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2011-09-09 at 03:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    There are a fair few places once you've gone Further in the Fallen London where you can get the Venom Rubies, and I believe that you can buy the in the Bazaar Side Streets.
    Ah...I've heard that you need the "Person of Little Consequence" Quality to go that way? Having entered the game early, I never had a chance at that little storylet when I started...although I managed to stumble across the Mysterious Benefactor bits in the Royal Bethlehem when I went mad, once. So maybe when the rest of that storylet pans out...

17. - Top - End - #17

Heh. Maybe I shouldn't have played "graffiti with a sting" again...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

I click on the link and am now playing this game.The writing does make it very interesting.Great for playing,inbetween loading let's play videos.

User name on Twiitter is evilsomeone.
    If anyone wants to join up and take over the world do some evil!save the world or something yeah!
    Right now just raising up my watchful and persuasive stats.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome! More delicious friends!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah...I've heard that you need the "Person of Little Consequence" Quality to go that way? Having entered the game early, I never had a chance at that little storylet when I started...although I managed to stumble across the Mysterious Benefactor bits in the Royal Bethlehem when I went mad, once. So maybe when the rest of that storylet pans out...
    I thought "A Person of Some Little Consequence" was the story that opens with a card available once at least one stat hits 100? And you need all stats at 100 to finish it, or spend fate...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I thought "A Person of Some Little Consequence" was the story that opens with a card available once at least one stat hits 100? And you need all stats at 100 to finish it, or spend fate...
    Correct. I'm stuck on the Persuasive portion of that (so maybe I should go and do some grinding there...lol), but there's also a similarly-named story that I think opens upon your debut into EB, provided you had the Mysterious Protegé quality.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Correct. I'm stuck on the Persuasive portion of that (so maybe I should go and do some grinding there...lol), but there's also a similarly-named story that I think opens upon your debut into EB, provided you had the Mysterious Protegé quality.
    Oh, I see. I'm pretty sure that the 100-stat story is the one that opens up the Bazaar Sidestreets, though, isn't it?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I see. I'm pretty sure that the 100-stat story is the one that opens up the Bazaar Sidestreets, though, isn't it?
    Ahhh okay, that would make sense.

24. - Top - End - #24

So, what sort of stuff is good to sell? Or is there a better way to get money?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

So, what sort of stuff is good to sell? Or is there a better way to get money?
    Be very cautious about selling stuff. Sell bulk stuff that you're able to farm aplenty. For instance, once you get to 73 Dangerous, there's a running story at Wolfstack Docks that lets you build up a Running Battle quality and win loads of Rostygold. That's useful to sell. Or an investigation at very high levels of Watchful in the University that yields lots of Cryptic Clues.

Only sell when you need to buy something, because you never know when you might need one specific type of item.

26. - Top - End - #26

Be very cautious about selling stuff. Sell bulk stuff that you're able to farm aplenty. For instance, once you get to 73 Dangerous, there's a running story at Wolfstack Docks that lets you build up a Running Battle quality and win loads of Rostygold. That's useful to sell. Or an investigation at very high levels of Watchful in the University that yields lots of Cryptic Clues.

Only sell when you need to buy something, because you never know when you might need one specific type of item.
    I've got an Opportunity that calls for a Sulky Bat and have all of 5 pence to my name.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

I always have zero pence (after one incident of misclicking and buying something I didn't want) and, if I want to buy something, I grind and then sell only what I've just grinded. Except for clothes. Nothing needs clothes, right? >.>

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got an Opportunity that calls for a Sulky Bat and have all of 5 pence to my name.
    That one just gives you some Connected: The Great Game (and you keep the bat). Not terrible, but nothing vital. And yeah, generally sell only things that you can easily farm. I also never sell anything that can't be bought from the Bazaar, just as a general rule, because if I did suddenly need it I'd be out of luck, heh.

But really, if you've got thousands of rostygold or jade or something laying around, you can probably sell some. It's the only way to buy decent equipment, which is very useful.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

That one just gives you some Connected: The Great Game (and you keep the bat). Not terrible, but nothing vital. And yeah, generally sell only things that you can easily farm. I also never sell anything that can't be bought from the Bazaar, just as a general rule, because if I did suddenly need it I'd be out of luck, heh.

But really, if you've got thousands of rostygold or jade or something laying around, you can probably sell some. It's the only way to buy decent equipment, which is very useful.
    Yup! I remember getting that Opportunity...I've never dabbled much in the Great Game, though.

Oh, and you wanna hear a real noob story? Back when I first started, I had no clue that there were other locations (besides my Lodgings) you could immediately travel to. I just assumed that you had to unlock them. Yeah...so then I discovered that yes, there were plenty of places I could travel to in order to boost my various stats. Previously, I'd just assumed that Opportunity Cards were the main way for me to take actions.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup! I remember getting that Opportunity...I've never dabbled much in the Great Game, though.

Oh, and you wanna hear a real noob story? Back when I first started, I had no clue that there were other locations (besides my Lodgings) you could immediately travel to. I just assumed that you had to unlock them. Yeah...so then I discovered that yes, there were plenty of places I could travel to in order to boost my various stats. Previously, I'd just assumed that Opportunity Cards were the main way for me to take actions.
    Hah, yeah, one of my friends had that problem until I pointed it out to him. Pretty funny.