Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Keep saving for an Overgoat?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I would limit myself to selling only items that you can easily farm up more of. That way you can get some nice equipment, but don't have to waste time re-searching for something if you do need it later. Generally, you want to spend your money so as to get the highest bonuses for the lowest price. This generally involves buying multiple cheaper items rather than one big purchase. So instead of buying Master Thief's Hands (+4 shadowy) for 320 echoes, buy a Sneak-Thief's Mask, Cracksman's Mittens, Devious Henchman, Spidersilk Slippers, and a Shabby Opera Cloak. Comes out to less than half the price, for almost double the bonus. You'll eventually want that expensive item, but it's better to hold off until you can afford it more easily.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Keep saving for an Overgoat?
    lol, if I was going to save up for something crazily out of reach, I'd go for the Hesperdian Cider. From the sounds of it, it makes you unable to be killed, which COULD be useful. Spam Impossible and High-Risk dangerous challenges and never worry about ending up on the boat. Of course, that would only be good AFTER you've beaten the boatman at all his chess-matches ^^

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Also, you actually don't need items in this game, barring special circumstances. Because the content is actually limited, only thing you do gain is faster access to few storylets, but in doing that you lose vast quantity of items that will be most helpful later on (Person of Some Importance storylets). So if you don't mind adding a few days to your game time, you should avoid selling almost anything. Don't worry, it will come in handy later
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Also, you actually don't need items in this game, barring special circumstances. Because the content is actually limited, only thing you do gain is faster access to few storylets, but in doing that you lose vast quantity of items that will be most helpful later on (Person of Some Importance storylets). So if you don't mind adding a few days to your game time, you should avoid selling almost anything. Don't worry, it will come in handy later
    Yeah, but it can actually be worthwhile to sell some stuff now so that you can do higher-level missions, getting more loot quicker. Not necessary, no, but certainly possible.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I have a suggestion for you Mr. Gardiner. I'm giving it because I'm tired of losing turns when I miss a single day due to internet connection problems, and the suggestion is inspired by a text-based online war-game I used to play called Earth2025. The suggestion is this: Instead of only allowing 40 actions, why not take a page out of the aforementioned game and implement a type of "storage" for turns. It works pretty simply: Since we have a max of 40 actions a day, if you miss a day or take your free actions right before the day turns(which I did yesterday), instead of losing them all, half of them are put into storage, and are then doled out every time you gain a normal action, ie: If you have 40 turns, and 20 stored turns, and you use 2 turns, when the normal 7 minute wait time is up, you gain 2 turns, and this will continue until you've exhausted all the turns in storage. You can never store more then 20, but that would be a HUGE boon to those of us who aren't always able to check every day, or make a mistake and get action refresh right before the day turns and then don't spend them quick enough. For those who are "Exceptional friends" you can allow them to store 40 turns instead.

After that, I have to really compliment you all on the Cheesemonger storylet. I just finished it(I chose to side with the Cheesemonger in the end). It was a very interesting storylet, and I certainly enjoyed the conclusion, even the fact that with all that I did in the end, it still only caused a momentary pause in "The Game" ^^

Edit: Can someone who is a bit further along then I am, perhaps explain the purpose of the dreams? I have like 5 or 6(maybe even 7) different dream qualities right now, all between 4-7(except my chess dream), and it seems as though their only purpose is to raise my nightmares :-(
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-12-16 at 05:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

As far as I can tell the dreams are mostly just interesting and surreal. I think one of them is a way to start seeking the Name, though...

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Can someone who is a bit further along then I am, perhaps explain the purpose of the dreams? I have like 5 or 6(maybe even 7) different dream qualities right now, all between 4-7(except my chess dream), and it seems as though their only purpose is to raise my nightmares :-(
    There is a ton of content related to dreams, that has some dream as a requirement, but otherwise doesn't use that dream. And at least one of the Ambitions uses them much much later (at least I'm on that Ambition, so I would know .P).
    But they are a very good thing to hold on to, everytime you run into something that uses some certain dream it will be very valuable. And each dream on his own is great.

And yes, a certain Name is related to them (I came like, really really far in the Name business, I'm actually starting to get scared )
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2011-12-16 at 09:05 PM.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Something to do with North. Other than that I have no idea.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

So, wow...I just
    Spoiler
    Show
    Robbed the freaking Bazaar. My reward was 16 freaking London Street Signs, a total value of 37 1/2 echoes. Pretty freaking nuts. is that ALWAYS the reward, or does it alter? What do you get for robbing the bazaar? I don't think I'll put as much effort into doing it again, but I will gladly start a casing quality and hit all the cards that pop up while I'm raising other things until I have enough to make it a straightforward challenge(I'm just not willing to waste that high of a casing ability on a moderate or low risk challenge. I have AWFUL luck on low-risk challenges for some reason)
    That was certainly the coolest thing I've done here on this game yet, and continues to make Shadowy the over-all most profitable of all qualities up to 75(which I am at now, time to start persuasive later today ^^). Is there any thing that London Street signs are particularly used for besides opening up a pathway to forgotten quarter?

Also, I had an interesting storylet earlier, but now I can't remember what it was. Does anyone remember which one gives you a freaking Ancient Rifle as a reward for?(retails for 28 Ehcoes, sells for 12 1/2)? And another question: Does anyone have any experience in using Fate to unlock a storylet? In general? In specific, the one titled "Uncovering Secrets Framed in Gold"? I ask because TWICE I have gotten this one, and twice I was one Fate short, so I had to end the storylet(earning 1 1/2 echoes worth of silk each time), BUT this time I have started it, and for completing I think it was the cheesemonger storylet I earned 2 extra fate, so I've been thinking of unlocking the further storyline with the painting. It's either that, or imma head down to my brother-in-laws house and do some more offers so I earn 15 more fate and become an exceptional friend again, I LOVE having 80 turns a day plus 20 refresh. I'll hit 100 in all qualities in a month with that, lol.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-12-19 at 06:20 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

So, wow...I just
    Spoiler
    Show
    Robbed the freaking Bazaar. My reward was 16 freaking London Street Signs, a total value of 37 1/2 echoes. Pretty freaking nuts. is that ALWAYS the reward, or does it alter? What do you get for robbing the bazaar? I don't think I'll put as much effort into doing it again, but I will gladly start a casing quality and hit all the cards that pop up while I'm raising other things until I have enough to make it a straightforward challenge(I'm just not willing to waste that high of a casing ability on a moderate or low risk challenge. I have AWFUL luck on low-risk challenges for some reason)
    That was certainly the coolest thing I've done here on this game yet, and continues to make Shadowy the over-all most profitable of all qualities up to 75(which I am at now, time to start persuasive later today ^^). Is there any thing that London Street signs are particularly used for besides opening up a pathway to forgotten quarter?
    I'm pretty sure that's not the most profitable thing to do at that level.

The Dangerous equivalent, duelling Feducci, takes the same number of actions and awards 4,000 Rostygold. That sells for 40 Echoes, slightly more than the street signs.

Not sure of the exact number of actions each takes, but it might be more efficient to just use single actions instead of building a quality like that if it takes more than ~35 actions.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

So, wow...I just
    Spoiler
    Show
    The rewards from that venture are always the same, as far as I know. The signs are one of the components used to build a Collection of Curiosities later on when you're a Person of Some Importance, but they're relatively easy to farm in the University.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Halfling in the Playground

After that, I have to really compliment you all on the Cheesemonger storylet. I just finished it(I chose to side with the Cheesemonger in the end). It was a very interesting storylet, and I certainly enjoyed the conclusion, even the fact that with all that I did in the end, it still only caused a momentary pause in "The Game" ^^
    Cheers - I'll pass that along to the writer!

Edit: Can someone who is a bit further along then I am, perhaps explain the purpose of the dreams? I have like 5 or 6(maybe even 7) different dream qualities right now, all between 4-7(except my chess dream), and it seems as though their only purpose is to raise my nightmares :-(
    Their purpose is to be AWESOME. If you want to see something really cool, pursue the What the Thunder Said dreams and try to become Stormy Eyed.

Incidentally, we've now set up some Echo Bazaar forums over here: http://community.failbettergames.com/

I certainly don't want to derail the discussion here - it's great! Keep it going! But you fine folks would be more than welcome over there too, and it's a good place to find people to confess nightmares to, etc.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    Cheers - I'll pass that along to the writer!

Their purpose is to be AWESOME. If you want to see something really cool, pursue the What the Thunder Said dreams and try to become Stormy Eyed.

Incidentally, we've now set up some Echo Bazaar forums over here: http://community.failbettergames.com/

I certainly don't want to derail the discussion here - it's great! Keep it going! But you fine folks would be more than welcome over there too, and it's a good place to find people to confess nightmares to, etc.
    Hehe, I've been trying to become Stormy-Eyed forever. Almost at a level 7 dream quality for that one. I'll try to get those forums to load soon :)

On another note, I have officially started raising my persuasive up to 75(was at 52) and just entered into the shuttered palace. Bought some persuasive equipment and I now have +8 to it, making 8 the lowest modifier I have to any gear ^^ From here on out, it's all expensive upgrades for me really.

Oh, still waiting to hear if anyone has ever used Fate to purchase Storylines, and "Secrets Lined in Gold" storylet in particular?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, btw, I was wondering(this is aimed at Chris): what is the basis for giving out the Darkdrop Coffee? I mean, it seems pretty random when I get it as an extra gift. I've gone 2 1/2 weeks without getting one, then I've gotten 1 within 5 days of the last one. is there like...a daily snippet that gives it to you if you manage to guess correctly on which one to echo when you go for your refresh turns?

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Man... Having to give away my dreams to the manager of the Royal Bethlehem for my Ambition was unfortunate. It's going to be a loooong time before I hit Stormy-Eyed now...

17. - Top - End - #287
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh, btw, I was wondering(this is aimed at Chris): what is the basis for giving out the Darkdrop Coffee? I mean, it seems pretty random when I get it as an extra gift. I've gone 2 1/2 weeks without getting one, then I've gotten 1 within 5 days of the last one. is there like...a daily snippet that gives it to you if you manage to guess correctly on which one to echo when you go for your refresh turns?
    It's totally random. Each day when you echo for an action refresh there's a chance you've get a reward, and it's usually Darkdrop. The reward is also affected by how many people you've recruited. You only get a shot at the reward the first time you echo content that day (the one that gives you your action refresh) - we don't want to encourage crazy spamming.

Mr Sacks has now come a-calling, by the way. Ho ho ho.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Ho ho ho indeed, and me without my wine.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of recruitment, when did that start anyways? because I got two of my buddies into the game, but I'm pretty sure it was back before the recruitment stuff started :-(. The one I know plays fairly regularly(though a bit less so since Skyrim came out, but he does still play several times a week), the other I'm not sure about.

Also, I laughed my ass off when I logged on today and saw that "Mr Sacks is roaming the streets of london" It took me a few minutes to realize who they meant(since the picture didn't load next to it), but when I figured it out I laughed out loud and told my wife "Santa Clause is stalking the streets sweetheart!"

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of recruitment, when did that start anyways? because I got two of my buddies into the game, but I'm pretty sure it was back before the recruitment stuff started :-(. The one I know plays fairly regularly(though a bit less so since Skyrim came out, but he does still play several times a week), the other I'm not sure about.

Also, I laughed my ass off when I logged on today and saw that "Mr Sacks is roaming the streets of london" It took me a few minutes to realize who they meant(since the picture didn't load next to it), but when I figured it out I laughed out loud and told my wife "Santa Clause is stalking the streets sweetheart!"
    I know, Mr. Sacks is awesome isn't he?

Y'know, I've always wondered something. Some of you may be aware of a certain story arc in which one seeks a certain name. While it's quite interesting, one has to wonder... why that name in particular? Aren't all of the Masters equally enigmatic in the appellation department?

Granted, I haven't actually tried that particular story yet, and Mr. Cups isn't nearly as menacing of a figure no matter how obscure his personal title might be...

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

In answer to Eurus' question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As best we can tell, something happened to him in the second city involving wells. Something terrible, that the Masters would really rather not be reminded about, to put it lightly. Either way, his name, formerly a word in the Correspondence, has been erased. The names of the other Masters are, presumably, still in existence. Hence why it's that particular name.

Also, I've been sending and receiving a few gifts via Mr. Sacks, but have ended up with a Knot-Name leftover. I don't suppose anyone would send me something to open with it?
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-12-24 at 05:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I have officially discovered it is extremely profitable to observe who is dipping into the bag. Worth 1 Echo per action. Oh, and if you get EXTREMELY lucky(Like I was), and you try to steal the bag...Oh yeah. I only tried once, just for the heck of it, and I succeeded and got 10 Brilliant Souls, worth 50 pence each, so, 5 Echoes for one action. I was quite happy.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-12-24 at 04:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also a rare success for chatting with the urchins that gives much more than the regular success.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    There's also a rare success for chatting with the urchins that gives much more than the regular success.
    Wow, I must be having the luckiest night of my life on Echo Bazaar. I decided I wanted to see what you were talking about for the rare success(I had only done it once prior to you mentioning it). On my fourth total try, I got it, and WOW. Total value of rare success on talking to street urchins? 4 Echoes, 10 pence. That's pretty nuts. Of course, I won't sell a single one of those things because they will likely have some sort of use later on in something or another considering how rare they are.(Much like the 10 Brilliant Souls I got for stealing Mr Sacks sack!(which is so funny considering there is an Opportunity card with some guy claiming to have done it, lol).

So what happens when you send/receive gifts via Mr. Sacks? I'm assuming you're talking about the ability to send small gifts of fate? I have 20 fate if anyone is interested in trading fate back and forth in order to get any of the rewards? I would like to stay at 20 fate however(trying to get back to 35 to purchase exceptional friend subscription again).

Edit: To re-iterate, super lucky today on Echo Bazaar. Just did the talk to the urchins thing 3 more times, and out of those 3 times, I got the rare success twice more! So 3 out of 7 times I've gotten the rare reward!!! Super happy, if it's still around come turn refresh time, I'm sinking all my turns into it, trying to see how close I can make it to 50 maniacs prayers.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-12-24 at 11:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I must be having the luckiest night of my life on Echo Bazaar. I decided I wanted to see what you were talking about for the rare success(I had only done it once prior to you mentioning it). On my fourth total try, I got it, and WOW. Total value of rare success on talking to street urchins? 4 Echoes, 10 pence. That's pretty nuts. Of course, I won't sell a single one of those things because they will likely have some sort of use later on in something or another considering how rare they are.(Much like the 10 Brilliant Souls I got for stealing Mr Sacks sack!(which is so funny considering there is an Opportunity card with some guy claiming to have done it, lol).

So what happens when you send/receive gifts via Mr. Sacks? I'm assuming you're talking about the ability to send small gifts of fate? I have 20 fate if anyone is interested in trading fate back and forth in order to get any of the rewards? I would like to stay at 20 fate however(trying to get back to 35 to purchase exceptional friend subscription again).

Edit: To re-iterate, super lucky today on Echo Bazaar. Just did the talk to the urchins thing 3 more times, and out of those 3 times, I got the rare success twice more! So 3 out of 7 times I've gotten the rare reward!!! Super happy, if it's still around come turn refresh time, I'm sinking all my turns into it, trying to see how close I can make it to 50 maniacs prayers.
    Sending a gift to someone gives them a special item. There are four possibilities, and if you get all four you can cash them in on a special opportunity card.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Nope, we're talking about the ability to send a gift for 5 Fate on the non-lodgings card. If you can't spare the Fate, you probably don't want to get involved.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Super happy, if it's still around come turn refresh time, I'm sinking all my turns into it, trying to see how close I can make it to 50 maniacs prayers.
    It's worth noting that you can turn Primordial Shrieks into Maniac's Prayers as well.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Mmm, no reason to go to that much hassle for Maniac's Prayers. Using Primordial Shrieks in your inventory let's you turn the Shrieks into them.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Tales of Terror, Extraordinary Implications, and whatever else I can't quite remember, however, are harder to get hold of. So the Urchins are still worth a chat.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Tales of Terror, Extraordinary Implications, and whatever else I can't quite remember, however, are harder to get hold of. So the Urchins are still worth a chat.
    I had no idea about the maniac Prayers could be made via the Primordial shrieks. Do the Prayers convert to something else?

I have 7 of the tales of terror and implications now, which is pretty cool ^^