New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

In case anyone's wondering, a glass of wine is the best gift for Mr Sacks, the '68 vintage be be specific.

Unfortunately, my stash got nabbed a while back and I haven't seen the opportunities to replace it.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    In case anyone's wondering, a glass of wine is the best gift for Mr Sacks, the '68 vintage be be specific.

Unfortunately, my stash got nabbed a while back and I haven't seen the opportunities to replace it.
    Awww, wish I had known that. I gave him my ridiculous hat and all my nightmares, lol. What happens when you give him the glass of wine?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Awww, wish I had known that. I gave him my ridiculous hat and all my nightmares, lol. What happens when you give him the glass of wine?
    You get a rank of Connected: The Masters. One of the hardest connected qualities to get.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

You get a rank of Connected: The Masters. One of the hardest connected qualities to get.
    Aww, damn, if I had known that, I'd have done that instead. I just hate slowly getting rid of nightmares so I took the chance to clear myself of them entirely, but I'd have much rather gotten the connected: The masters, since I have 2 bottles of 68.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

I've got a bunch of '68, since I buy the unlabelled box from Mr. Wines whenever it's offered. Cashed one of them in for delicious Connected, and three fate.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I have officially purchased all the minor and medium level items for all the qualities ^^ Managed to raise my dangerous to +13, my Watchful to +11, my Persuasive to +9, and shadowy to +11. Quite happy with that. All future purchases will cost at LEAST 68 echoes(and only one purchase is that cheap), all the rest are going to be 120+. Should be fun saving for each of those items in turn.

I might though, actually buy some of the more useless looking items. Bought a Dazed Raven advisor(how I got one of my 2 extra watchful), and immediately got a new opportunity card involving it, lol. It was a pretty simple card, but who knows what I'm missing without having all the minor stuff(like the Goldfish!).

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzzah, managed to pick up a bottle of the '68. That's only the second time in over a month I've seen that card.

Out of curiosity Chris, what are the chances of certain cards coming up? I've hit the end game content (everything maxed, been everywhere, currently grinding items for the Side Streets) and the majority of the opportunity cards that come up for me seem to involve the factions opposing each other. They seem to crop up even more than dreams.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground

Out of curiosity Chris, what are the chances of certain cards coming up? I've hit the end game content (everything maxed, been everywhere, currently grinding items for the Side Streets) and the majority of the opportunity cards that come up for me seem to involve the factions opposing each other. They seem to crop up even more than dreams.
    It's a pretty complicated situation. Some cards have a non-standard frequency set on them so we can make them more or less likely. However, the main determinant is the cards that are available to you at the current time. This depends on the stories you've done, your stats, what connections and acquaintances you have, what items you have, etc. It's different for everyone.

It sounds like you have a lot of high Connected: Whatever qualities, which is qualifying you for lots of the cards that put those connections into conflict.

9. - Top - End - #309

So I started a Twitter account SOLELY to play this game. I added all y'all who gave your Twitter information, and here's mine as well: ianvassilaros. Nightmares are killing me on a regular basis, and social actions are way cheaper than constantly buying laudanum. :)

Follow me if you want, but I don't do any normal tweets- they are all EB spams for extra actions. And those of you who put up your Twitter info, expect invites from me!

As a side note, Chris - I sent an email to you guys a little over a week ago concerning deleting my old FB character, but I have yet to receive a response. I expect the holidays are slowing things down, but what's a reasonable expectation for a return response?
    Last edited by VarenTai; 2011-12-29 at 10:54 AM.
    Forgiving others is all well and fine, but it is a subtle arrogance and accusation to claim that someone needs MY forgiveness, when perhaps it is the other way around.

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by VarenTai View Post
    As a side note, Chris - I sent an email to you guys a little over a week ago concerning deleting my old FB character, but I have yet to receive a response. I expect the holidays are slowing things down, but what's a reasonable expectation for a return response?
    Hm. You should have heard back already - just checked the support queue and it's clear. Maybe something odd has happened. Can you resend the email to [email protected] and I'll look into it?

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    Hm. You should have heard back already - just checked the support queue and it's clear. Maybe something odd has happened. Can you resend the email to [email protected] and I'll look into it?
    Ha! I had the email all written, just sitting in my Drafts folder. I must have jumped up to take care of something and my wife wandered by and logged me out to access her own account. :)

Anyhow, I got your response, and it made me totally laugh out loud in the car with my wife and her friend. Thanks bunches!
    Forgiving others is all well and fine, but it is a subtle arrogance and accusation to claim that someone needs MY forgiveness, when perhaps it is the other way around.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I finally got around to going back to Veilgarden and doing the Honey-sipping Heiress storyline(and the Seduction of an Artists model), and I have to say, I'm kind of confused. It didn't feel like there was an actual resolution to the storyline, but any interactions with her have vanished, and hasn't re-appeared in any other area of the game. I got my quality with her to 6, the last interaction with her having taken her on a thieving run, and that was it. That didn't feel like a resolution at all. does she come back in like...MUCH later or something in Mahogany Hall or something? My persuasive is 69+9 and still nothing. Kinda disappointed, that may be the first storyline in Echo Bazaar that felt truly incomplete.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I finally got around to going back to Veilgarden and doing the Honey-sipping Heiress storyline(and the Seduction of an Artists model), and I have to say, I'm kind of confused. It didn't feel like there was an actual resolution to the storyline, but any interactions with her have vanished, and hasn't re-appeared in any other area of the game. I got my quality with her to 6, the last interaction with her having taken her on a thieving run, and that was it. That didn't feel like a resolution at all. does she come back in like...MUCH later or something in Mahogany Hall or something? My persuasive is 69+9 and still nothing. Kinda disappointed, that may be the first storyline in Echo Bazaar that felt truly incomplete.
    Hasn't yet. I'm expecting to see her at some point in the future though.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

So...I'm a bit stuck right now. I'm doing the University stuff(Watchful is 83+11 right now), and I've gone through the "Term passing 12" bit 3 freaking times. The first time I took a stab at guessing the culprit and motive of the murderer of the Junior Associate professor, and apparently guessed wrong
    Spoiler
    Show
    romantic reasons from the head professor or whatever
    , the second time I did something with the end of the world bit, and this last time I turned some revolutionaries into their respective college authorities(which was great, jumped my Benthic up to 15, and my summerset up to 12). How do I eventually advance? Am I going to have to stick with the "Who murdered the junior professor" path? It seems like the one most likely to advance me to the next section of stuff.

I mean, I'm not complaining to terribly much, as I'm acquiring a TON of proscribed materials, shrieks, cryptic clues, rostygold and whispered secrets, but, I would like to move on soon.

On another note, I recently acquired a Bottle of Broken Giant, and I have no idea where I got it from! Oooh, wait, did I get it as a reward for painting the royal children in the palace?

15. - Top - End - #315

BlueKnightGuy

New options become available at a certain level of Watchful, though I can't recall quite what level.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

So...I'm a bit stuck right now. I'm doing the University stuff(Watchful is 83+11 right now), and I've gone through the "Term passing 12" bit 3 freaking times. The first time I took a stab at guessing the culprit and motive of the murderer of the Junior Associate professor, and apparently guessed wrong
    Spoiler
    Show
    romantic reasons from the head professor or whatever
    , the second time I did something with the end of the world bit, and this last time I turned some revolutionaries into their respective college authorities(which was great, jumped my Benthic up to 15, and my summerset up to 12). How do I eventually advance? Am I going to have to stick with the "Who murdered the junior professor" path? It seems like the one most likely to advance me to the next section of stuff.
    A storylet unlocks at Watchful 97 that will allow you to attempt to open the Department of the Correspondence.

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed the new options popping up for using items?

Spoiler
    Show
    Prisoner's Honey, Extraordinary Implications, and a bunch of others are now usable. The Honey gives you Romantic Notions, which can in turn be used to give Visions of the Surface, which can in turn be used to give Touching Love Stories. And if you get enough, Touching Love Stories can be traded for a Bazaar Permit. If I did my math right, this is about 50% cheaper than buying the Permit with Amber, but costs a bunch of actions to make all the necessary trades.

Appalling Secrets have had their function changed, they can now give either 10 Tales of Terror or 10 Journals of Infamy for 33 Secrets each. Both Tales and Journals can be used to swap them for Extraordinary Implications, which can be used to swap them for Uncanny Incanabulae. I'm not sure if the Incanabulae can be used for any purpose yet, still working on getting some.

Primordial Shrieks give either Aeolian Screams or Maniac's Prayers when used. The Aeolian Screams have no additional function at this time, but the Prayers can be turned into Correspondence Plaques. The Plaques can be sold for Aeolian Screams and possibly something else, I haven't tried it personally.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-01-12 at 04:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Bleh....that's a lot of grinding on straightforward-low risk challenges to get to 97. What if someone had no -watchful equipment?(I Mean, yeah, highly unlikely at this point, but still) They would have to grind it out on challenges that only give 1 change point per action. I am glad to hear though that there is nothing I'm doing wrong though, I was worried I was supposed to be picking a certain option at term passing 12.

edit: Also, no I haven't noticed the new uses for those particular items. I'll have to check that out! Though, I probably won't be touching my honey, I need to get a new tier residence here in the next few months, probably going to be saving everything I have until I can afford it. That or 60,000 whispered secrets(or is it 80k?). I figure the secrets one would take me 1k turns right now, or 20 days of grinding nothing but this one option at the university that gives 87 secrets. Problem is it comes and goes away depending on my term passing >< I need to make a comprehensive guide of the rewards of each challenge and go for the best one when the 87 secrets one isn't available. I know there is one that gives 40 proscribed material, which is an insane amount(I think that's 1.6 echoes per turn, 4 pence per) but it's only open for a short period of time.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-01-12 at 06:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Bleh....that's a lot of grinding on straightforward-low risk challenges to get to 97. What if someone had no -watchful equipment?(I Mean, yeah, highly unlikely at this point, but still) They would have to grind it out on challenges that only give 1 change point per action. I am glad to hear though that there is nothing I'm doing wrong though, I was worried I was supposed to be picking a certain option at term passing 12.
    The stuff you can get from the university is good enough that I didn't even notice the grinding. There are options that can get you London Street Signs and large numbers of Diamonds.

The wiki has most of the options laid.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed, the Feast of the World can give you something like three street signs.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Barbarian in the Playground

Straightforward-low risk? I'm at Watchful 96 and I still have storylets that are moderate level. The second option of Enjoying the pace of academic life is always around regardless of Term Passing..., and there are others but I can't check them right now.

And yeah, all the stuff about grinding. You can get Prisoner's Honey at Term Passing... 11, too.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I have a question. Is there a correct answer for the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who murdered the Junior Professor at the University Storylet? I've taken my term passing quality to 12 5 times, and 3 of those times, I've done that storylet, and every freaking time, I've apparently picked the wrong answer. It wasn't his senior professor that did it, either for romantic or theft reasons, and it wasn't the librarian with romantic reasons either. All that is left is the librarian because of him touching the books with buttery fingers(not the exact reason given, but close enough I'm sure people will know what I'm talking about). If there is NOT a correct answer, I'm A: Going to be angry I've wasted 3 term passings on this crap, and B: Not going to bother with the term passing stuff anymore, I'm at 86+11 now, so the new yellow storylet option just opened up, and I'll just pursue that now instead.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Who murdered the Junior Professor at the University Storylet? I've taken my term passing quality to 12 5 times, and 3 of those times, I've done that storylet, and every freaking time, I've apparently picked the wrong answer. It wasn't his senior professor that did it, either for romantic or theft reasons, and it wasn't the librarian with romantic reasons either. All that is left is the librarian because of him touching the books with buttery fingers(not the exact reason given, but close enough I'm sure people will know what I'm talking about). If there is NOT a correct answer, I'm A: Going to be angry I've wasted 3 term passings on this crap, and B: Not going to bother with the term passing stuff anymore, I'm at 86+11 now, so the new yellow storylet option just opened up, and I'll just pursue that now instead.
    Yes, yes there is. But don't ask me what is it, because I actually forgot by now.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a correct answer. It has nothing to do with romance, though Love is a powerful force in Fallen London.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes there is, and by process of elimination you've figured it out, heh. Sorry for the poor luck.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Woot! 250 Rostygold for that particular conclusion :) So happy that there was an actual solution to that one.

On another note, I am, WITH modifiers, about to hit 100 watchful. 88+11 at the moment :). Pretty excited to hit 100, even if it is just with modifiers, it kind of signifies how far I've come since I started playing back in Late August :)

On a final note, I am officially saving up for my 4 card residence. I'm not sure which right now to be perfectly honest, I think any would do really. Though I guess if I would have to choose, it would be the extended Bazaar lease :)

In total, with nearly everything being sold(because honestly, with all the upgrades, you can get almost all of the items now with some patience), I have 610 Echoes(61,018 Pence), which is, of course, a decent amount, but still quite far from what I actually need(40k prisoners honey is 160k Pence, so I'm not even quite halfway there). Still, It's a good start, and that's not selling anything that's not easily replaceable(diamonds, sapphires, venom rubies, and 4 or 5 other useful items I have never seen or can upgrade to).

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

Woot! 250 Rostygold for that particular conclusion :) So happy that there was an actual solution to that one.

On another note, I am, WITH modifiers, about to hit 100 watchful. 88+11 at the moment :). Pretty excited to hit 100, even if it is just with modifiers, it kind of signifies how far I've come since I started playing back in Late August :)

On a final note, I am officially saving up for my 4 card residence. I'm not sure which right now to be perfectly honest, I think any would do really. Though I guess if I would have to choose, it would be the extended Bazaar lease :)

In total, with nearly everything being sold(because honestly, with all the upgrades, you can get almost all of the items now with some patience), I have 610 Echoes(61,018 Pence), which is, of course, a decent amount, but still quite far from what I actually need(40k prisoners honey is 160k Pence, so I'm not even quite halfway there). Still, It's a good start, and that's not selling anything that's not easily replaceable(diamonds, sapphires, venom rubies, and 4 or 5 other useful items I have never seen or can upgrade to).
    There's an action in the University that gives a fair haul of Prisoner's Honey. I forget specifically, one of the cricket-based ones I think. Makes it easy to farm up for the Royal Bethlehem room if you're patient.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

I officially despise The Docks. Nothing to do from about 73 to the time you leave and go to the Maze of Tigers, except raise your running battle and your The Hunt is On qualities over and over, and I'm pretty sure the reward isn't actually worth the turns spent. Not to mention it's boring, oh so incredibly boring :-(.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-01-22 at 10:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

I'll take a look at that. We're tweaking content boundaries and economy at the moment.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    I'll take a look at that. We're tweaking content boundaries and economy at the moment.
    That would be pretty kick-ass ^^ Especially since, even though I'm at 83+13, I really don't want to graduate to the Maze of Tigers, because I don't feel like spending 200 Echoes on the 10k rats needed to get in there, that'll set me back a week or more towards acquiring my first 4 opportunity card dwelling place ^^(Over halfway there now, about 900 echoes out of 1600 required. Might even be 1k echoes, it's been a while since I counted, and I've gotten several large rewards since I last counted).

30. - Top - End - #330

Hey, Starwulf - have you been duelling the Black Ribbon society?