New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Is it weird that I imagine my character as having a sort of deranged stalker-crush on the Implacable Detective? Taunting her at every opportunity, acting the Riddler to her Batman, sending the occasional gift on the Feast of the Exceptional Rose...

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Weird? I wouldn't say so. Just your average deranged stalker crush.

I finally got her card today and learned some very interesting things about the Shroud. I look forward to learning Loamsparch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!! I am so incredibly awesomely stoked right now.

I calculated my total Pence, and I have 119,000 Pence(or 1119 Echoes) out of 1600 Echoes needed. That is exactly 6.5 days of grinding in the 2nd coil of the Labyrinth to get that. After that I can afford to buy my new lodgings! So happy :)

Their is a downside though, sadly, and that is, it would require me to sell EVERY SINGLE THING I HAVE, with the exception of my equipment(clothes/hats/pets/weapons/etc). All my wine, all my sapphires and diamonds, everything. Which, honestly, I'm quite ok with. There are a FEW things I"m not comfortable with selling though, so I think I might grind for few extra days, so I can keep those things(There is this weird book I got that's worth 6 echoes, got it from a rare success on an opportunity card, it says it can be used to make things once I have access to the Bazaar Sidestreets. Beyond that, a couple bottles O wine that are fairly rare, and a couple other things in general I'd like to keep. the rest though, especially since they added the ability to transform low level items, is all replaceable, so I don't care if I get rid of all it, it's worth it to me to get my lease at the Bazaar).

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Which lodgings are you grinding for? It's quite possible there are faster ways out there.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Which lodgings are you grinding for? It's quite possible there are faster ways out there.
    A lease at the Bazaar. I like the idea of a massive market-place likle it, and want to have my own stall there. Part of my characters roleplaying side I think, he considers himself a masterful market manipulator :).

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

Well honestly, getting to something is better then actually getting it. For example, it took me around 5 months to finish Love storyline in Shuttered Palace, with "best" result. Spoilered, because I don't want to accidently spoil someone a surprise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, both of them, on the Throne
    But actually getting there is been the thrill, a bit of actions today, some more tommorow, and over the course of few months, I had what I set my eyes on. It's almost the pace of real life RPG's, so I don't feel like grinding anything.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    A lease at the Bazaar. I like the idea of a massive market-place likle it, and want to have my own stall there. Part of my characters roleplaying side I think, he considers himself a masterful market manipulator :).
    That was the first I got as well. IIRC, the best place to grind for Whispered Secrets (before becoming a person of some importance) was the Empress' Court.

I'm currently going for the Brass Embassy as my next. 11k souls down, 29k to go. There's a PoSI action in Spite that nets you 50 at a time.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

That was the first I got as well. IIRC, the best place to grind for Whispered Secrets (before becoming a person of some importance) was the Empress' Court.

I'm currently going for the Brass Embassy as my next. 11k souls down, 29k to go. There's a PoSI action in Spite that nets you 50 at a time.
    Nice ^^ I'm guessing your just collecting residences for fun? Or does each of the 4 card ones open up other storylets?

I can't get into the Empress Court(well, I could, but I'd be 2 persuasive too low for the place. Right now, in the Maze, I'm making 2572 pence in 24 turns, so Over 100 pence a turn, which suits me just fine to be honest(I"m in second coil of the maze, and I do the Wrestling tigers bit for 49 primordial shrieks till I get to Passing time in the Maze 7, then I do the "Thing in the Mirror" storylet for 100 whispered secrets till I get to 9, then I just do the 150 Prisoners HOney or 300 Rostygold finale, then start all over again).

On a good note, I got the Bazaar lease card today, so I'll be hanging onto it for a while, I think I've decided to grind for the next two weeks instead of the next week so I can keep some of the stuff I"d rather not sell.

Btw, has anyone noticed yet that we now have 50 turns a day(+10 more for turn refresh)? I noticed it last night and messaged Chris, he said it's a new change ^^

edit: WOOOHOOO!! I have(just now) Officially reached 100 in a stat, without the use of modifiers. My Dangerous is now 100+13 :) Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah! Super Excited about it :)

Double Edit: So, I've been wondering about something, for a very long time now. Back in the very beginning of the game, I got a "Giggling Mandrake". It's not actually a pet, it's in the "Curiosities" section of the inventory, and you can use it(specifically it mentions playing with it), but everytime I have it just injures me. does it actually do anything? Is there actually a success you can get playing with it? Really wondering what it's point is ^^
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-02-05 at 03:02 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground

Double Edit: So, I've been wondering about something, for a very long time now. Back in the very beginning of the game, I got a "Giggling Mandrake". It's not actually a pet, it's in the "Curiosities" section of the inventory, and you can use it(specifically it mentions playing with it), but everytime I have it just injures me. does it actually do anything? Is there actually a success you can get playing with it? Really wondering what it's point is ^^
    It's primary use is in Knife-and-Candle, which is no longer running. I don't think there's much point to it until KaC starts up again.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-02-05 at 07:50 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice ^^ I'm guessing your just collecting residences for fun? Or does each of the 4 card ones open up other storylets?
    Mostly just killing time. I've done all the non-fate content so now I'm just grinding while waiting for new stuff.

edit: WOOOHOOO!! I have(just now) Officially reached 100 in a stat, without the use of modifiers. My Dangerous is now 100+13 :) Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah! Super Excited about it :)
    Huzzah! One step closer to PoSI!

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any reason why -x stat items are useful? they don't seem that they would be to me.

-x penalty (like nightmares or injuries) seems useful, but -2 shadowy I don't THINK would be.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there any reason why -x stat items are useful? they don't seem that they would be to me.

-x penalty (like nightmares or injuries) seems useful, but -2 shadowy I don't THINK would be.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433

Mainly so that when your stats are very high you can use lower level stories that are still useful. For example, that -2 to shadowy is a great way to access the story where you can blackmail a constable to lower suspicion.

Or when you are in the tomb-colonies you can lower your persuasive so you can fail the challenge that lowers scandal every time you fail.

Over on the Failbetter forums Chris left a messenger to pay attention to twitter/facebook tomorrow. Some form of update. Speculations? Perhaps the new pets have arrived. I certainly hope so. Or maybe its something that hasn't been hinted at.

(also, congratulations Starwulf. Now you can learn the joys of persuasiveness, watchfulness, and being shadowy.)

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post

Yes. There are certain storylets you might want to play, even after your qualities are high enough to block access to them.

They're also good for any storylet without a penalty for failure. Bumping it up to High-Risk and grinding away is the most efficient, though least fun, method of getting your main qualities up fast.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Over on the Failbetter forums Chris left a messenger to pay attention to twitter/facebook tomorrow. Some form of update. Speculations? Perhaps the new pets have arrived. I certainly hope so. Or maybe its something that hasn't been hinted at.
    Ooh, I'd seen the announcement but I completely forgot about the pets. I bet that's it.

16. - Top - End - #436

Well, after a good bout of detective work I think I've found what the revolutionaries are doing with leathery hearts. It seems the political climate across the Unterzee is like the Unterzee itself, seemingly calm with many dangers hiding beneath.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I find myself in a bit of a predicament.

I need Memories of Light, yet the only way I know to reliably acquire them is through trading Phosphorescent Beetles with Revolutionary connections. Now, I've never seen fit to work with the cads before and so I am entirely lacking in this area.

The Red-Feathered Pin requires substantial existing connection or fate to use, while the ruffians hanging around the carnival require that I must already be Plotting Against the Masters.

My questions are thus,
    Is there an alternative and regular means to acquire memories of light?
    If not, are there alternative means than those mentioned above to build Revolutionary connections?
    And, as a last resort if all else fails, how does one start plotting against the Masters?

All this for Memories of Light seems an elaborate and frustrating prank!

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurrel View Post
    I find myself in a bit of a predicament.

I need Memories of Light, yet the only way I know to reliably acquire them is through trading Phosphorescent Beetles with Revolutionary connections. Now, I've never seen fit to work with the cads before and so I am entirely lacking in this area.

The Red-Feathered Pin requires substantial existing connection or fate to use, while the ruffians hanging around the carnival require that I must already be Plotting Against the Masters.

My questions are thus,
    Is there an alternative and regular means to acquire memories of light?
    If not, are there alternative means than those mentioned above to build Revolutionary connections?
    And, as a last resort if all else fails, how does one start plotting against the Masters?

All this for Memories of Light seems an elaborate and frustrating prank!
    You can use an Implacable Detective's Business Card, one of the investigation options rewards Memories of Light. Plotting Against the Masters comes from an opportunity card which unlocks at Shadowy 45.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the official announcement Chris was hinting at, is they have removed the cap limit on actions per day ^^ Huzzah Huzzah! Turn refresh happens at 10 minutes now instead of 7, but that's still a good deal more turns a day. Also, it's been pretty implicitly stated that this is the first of several major announcements that are still forthcoming in the next few weeks :)

I'm personally hoping for an increase in the cap(with accompanying story lines)! I haven't made it all the way through what we have currently, but I like knowing that I'll have that much more to look forward to. Also, someone else mentioned there is now a "Respectable" quality beneath Dangerous/Persuasive/Watchful/Shadowy. My page won't refresh atm, so can someone confirm/deny this?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the official announcement Chris was hinting at, is they have removed the cap limit on actions per day ^^ Huzzah Huzzah! Turn refresh happens at 10 minutes now instead of 7, but that's still a good deal more turns a day. Also, it's been pretty implicitly stated that this is the first of several major announcements that are still forthcoming in the next few weeks :)

I'm personally hoping for an increase in the cap(with accompanying story lines)! I haven't made it all the way through what we have currently, but I like knowing that I'll have that much more to look forward to. Also, someone else mentioned there is now a "Respectable" quality beneath Dangerous/Persuasive/Watchful/Shadowy. My page won't refresh atm, so can someone confirm/deny this?
    Indeed! I just saw it a minute ago. Two qualities, actually. "Respectable" and "Dreaded". Both of which are at zero for now.

EDIT: Heh. A third one, "Bizarre", just popped up.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-02-07 at 07:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #441

the ruffians hanging around the carnival require that I must already be Plotting Against the Masters.
    Oo. Thanks for mentioning this - we don't want that restriction on there anymore. We've removed it internally, so soon the 'Plotting Against the Masters' requirement should go away and you'll be able to increase your Connected: Revolutionaries at the Carnival more easily.

I see the endless actions news has broken. :)

And for those speculating on the new stats, here's a tidbit - there's a third, too: Bizarre. That one's harder to get. We'll reveal more about what they're for soon. More announcements to come, too! Another one hopefully today, but maybe tomorrow. Today has turned into a crazy day! Zooming down to London for a meeting.
    Last edited by Chris Gardiner; 2012-02-07 at 07:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    Today has turned into a crazy day! Zooming down to London for a meeting.
    Er. When I say "zooming down to London for a meeting" I don't mean zooming *down* to *Fallen London* for a meeting. I mean the other London. And "south" rather than "down".

I haven't got an urgent appointment at the Royal Beth, or anything. Or a lunch with the Brass Ambassador.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

23. - Top - End - #443

BlueKnightGuy

I've never seen the Detective's business card... interesting, something further to hunt down!

And it is a pleasure and a relief to be of help and find that the change will be coming to the carnival!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Intriguing, my semiotic monocle gives me a +6 bonus to Respectable.

Edit: Wait, no, It's my Landau and my membership in the Parthenaeum.

So by this I believe that these three stats are all related to how you are a person of some importance.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-02-07 at 09:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

My yacht gives me +2 Respectable, and an Immaculate Frock Coat is +1 Respectable. Also, in the store, some of the most expensive clothing items give A Brazen Fate +1...

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

I've never seen the Detective's business card... interesting, something further to hunt down!

And it is a pleasure and a relief to be of help and find that the change will be coming to the carnival!
    You get it from just about any action involving her it seems. I got mine from the third card in the 'cultivating an acquaintance with His Amused Lordship' line, but a lot of folks have received theirs from taunting her when their suspicion is high.

Intriguing, my semiotic monocle gives me a +6 bonus to Respectable.

Edit: Wait, no, It's my Landau and my membership in the Parthenaeum.

So by this I believe that these three stats are all related to how you are a person of some importance.
    There are a few normal items that give you a +1 or so to the new stats. Mostly clothing, like the Morning Suit, but the Overgoat and the Bengal Tigress also have a relevant bonus.

Futhermore, some of those items of clothing offer +1 A Brazen Fate. I wonder what that is for?

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Futhermore, some of those items of clothing offer +1 A Brazen Fate. I wonder what that is for?
    That would be a bug.

/looks embarrassed

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Hinting at a future menace, perhaps?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    That would be a bug.

/looks embarrassed
    Hey, looks like you have a squad of troubleshooters here, though, so don't be embarrassed. They found something that wasn't supposed to be there, told you about it (and each other), and now you can fix it. Simple, easy, and quick. right?

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450

Loving the new opportunity cards, an excellent source of scraps.

As for Brazen Fate, a google search of "Brazen Fate Mantelpiece" shows some delicious friends do have that stat. Curious.

* continues anticipating the changes*

New content is highlight of my day.

Spoiler
    Show