New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Just unlocked the plans of the Bishop of Southwark (one of my favourite characters). I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thats one of my favorite stories. I'm sure you'll like it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

So, there is one change I've noticed, that I really don't care for. Since you guys lowered the requirements for those "connected versus Connected" opportunity cards(Like, Docks & Urchins, or Hell & Urchins, stuff like that), It seems I get those things ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I mean, It was bad enough when they required 10 of the called for Connected quality, but now that it only requires 5, the rate at which a person receives them is staggering. I'd estimate I probably get one out every 4 or 5 opportunity cards, maybe as low as 1 out of 3.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    So, there is one change I've noticed, that I really don't care for. Since you guys lowered the requirements for those "connected versus Connected" opportunity cards(Like, Docks & Urchins, or Hell & Urchins, stuff like that), It seems I get those things ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I mean, It was bad enough when they required 10 of the called for Connected quality, but now that it only requires 5, the rate at which a person receives them is staggering. I'd estimate I probably get one out every 4 or 5 opportunity cards, maybe as low as 1 out of 3.
    They changed the cards, they're now much, much more worth it. Went from auto-discard to good. With the changes, I suspect they've boosted the rate they pop up at so that everyone gets a chance to look at them again.

For starters, it's now a small loss and a large gain. Which is great for raising hard to find Connections.

And the mediation options that a lot of the cards now have give some pretty rare items that can otherwise only be obtained by converting large amounts of lesser items. Tales of Terror, Mysteries of the Elder Continent etc.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-02-08 at 06:40 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

5. - Top - End - #455
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    They changed the cards, they're now much, much more worth it. Went from auto-discard to good. With the changes, I suspect they've boosted the rate they pop up at so that everyone gets a chance to look at them again.
    We've not touched the frequency - this'll just be a weird quirk of chance, I suspect. I'll keep an eye on heir frequency, though - we can always tweak.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel your pain. I have the same problem.

The main reason seems to be simply the amount of different connections cards in the game. It means that, on average, the odds of your drawing one are significantly higher than any other single card.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-02-08 at 11:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it just me, or is it now impossible to take a different option after using a second chance?

I always used to boost stats like dangerous by doing something dangerous that also had a watchful, or shadowy, or persuasive option, so the dangerous option would be IMPOSSIBLE, and the other option would be MODEST, or even STRAIGHT-FORWARD. I'd boost my dangerous by trying and failing at the impossible, and then I'd still finish the challenge by doing the MODEST option. Now it seems you can only try the impossible one again, which basically makes my second chances way less useful. Borderline useless, I'd say.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    Is it just me, or is it now impossible to take a different option after using a second chance?

I always used to boost stats like dangerous by doing something dangerous that also had a watchful, or shadowy, or persuasive option, so the dangerous option would be IMPOSSIBLE, and the other option would be MODEST, or even STRAIGHT-FORWARD. I'd boost my dangerous by trying and failing at the impossible, and then I'd still finish the challenge by doing the MODEST option. Now it seems you can only try the impossible one again, which basically makes my second chances way less useful. Borderline useless, I'd say.
    Yep, I noticed that too. I used to use mine differently though - I grinded on the modest challenges and switched down to straightforward whenever I failed, so that I'd still finish the challenge with a lesser reward and no menace. But I guess I don't gain levels as quickly that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    We've not touched the frequency - this'll just be a weird quirk of chance, I suspect. I'll keep an eye on heir frequency, though - we can always tweak.
    I didn't notice a difference from pre-change. They do come up fairly often just because of the sheer number of those cards, though.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

A question for anyone finished with the Bishop of Southwark story. I bred myself a sweet horse, an adorable ocelot, a mini Eater of Chains and a hypnotoad, as well as a Hound of Heaven that I didn't want to give away. Got a card that unlocked with the horse where the Bishop explained his plans, not sure what happens next. Wait for another card?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, you have to give Hound of Heaven away. Or it at least I think you do. I started getting the next card in chain after I gave him away.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

11. - Top - End - #461

So, er, if people want to hear what I actually sound like, I'm on the latest Quarter to Three podcast talking about Echo Bazaar and gaming in general. There's some hints dropped about forthcoming stuff for Echo Bazaar, too.

It's available here: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/201...tish-invasion/

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. Handing over my Hound didn't raise my "making progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers" quality or anything, so I don't think that was it.

EDIT: That's odd. Got a gold-bordered opportunity card that allowed me to choose to look into the Theosophical Society. Doing so gave me "Seeking...", but no quality to indicate what I'm seeking.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-02-09 at 08:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Orc in the Playground

Well yeah, your progress in Labyrinth doesn't change, but you start to get an invitation from a Master. But like I said, I'm not entirely sure you had to hand Hound of Heaven over to Bishop, but that card with Master is the next in line.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    EDIT: That's odd. Got a gold-bordered opportunity card that allowed me to choose to look into the Theosophical Society. Doing so gave me "Seeking...", but no quality to indicate what I'm seeking.
    Yeah, that happened to me too, and I think I then messed it up by doing something else that required seeking.

Oh, does anyone ever use cards like "Learning how to operate in Polite Society", or "Learn about the coming Revolution"? I just used one, and my connected society went down from 40 to 29, while my persuasive didn't even go up by 1. Is there some kinda tactical use for these cards I'm missing, or are they pretty much just junk?
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

15. - Top - End - #465

Eurus, you will start to receive opportunity cards that will allow you to hear the opinions of other important people in Fallen London. You did not need to hand over your snake Hound.

Also Bodez, the cards you are referring to do not require handing over the snake Hound either. To start the story he is playing requires already having a visit from the Masters.

Nigma, those cards have some interesting stories sometimes. But most of the time you are going to want to ignore them. Like the Bazaar they take far more than they give.

Listening to Chris on the podcast now. Nice accent.

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Orc in the Playground

Well I wasn't really sure of it either, but I didn't know for sure that got that card well after I handed over the Hound. So I didn't really know if it was really connected or not.
    ---

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I officially have enough to buy my Bazaar Lease now, but I'm going to grind for several more days like Originally planned so I can keep certain items that are a bit more harder to get. Just though I'd post up though saying that I have successfully managed to raise 1600 Echoes! I also have to say, I truly have no idea how anyone could ever manage to grind for something like say..an Overgoat. Would definitely require a large amount of time, though I guess maybe not as much anymore since ye olde action cap has been lifted!

Oh, btw Chris, was the move to make opportunity cards 12 minutes intentional, or is that a side-effect of lifting the action cap? Not really quite so sure I understand the reasoning if it was intentional, I mean, yes you can use them a bit more easier now, but for the average player, they probably won't use more then half again the amount of turns a day that they were using before, so doubling the time it takes to get an opportunity card is definitely putting the hurt on them.

18. - Top - End - #468

At about 100 echoes a day, it would take around 13 weeks to grind an Overgoat.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    At about 100 echoes a day, it would take around 13 weeks to grind an Overgoat.
    And 100 echoes a day is certainly doable, but not exactly easy.

20. - Top - End - #470

Oh, btw Chris, was the move to make opportunity cards 12 minutes intentional, or is that a side-effect of lifting the action cap?
    I've just had a look and it's 10 minutes for me - if it's 12 for you that's some sort of deeply bizarre bug - could you email [email protected] and we'll take a look?

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Listening to Chris on the podcast now. Nice accent.
    Hey!

;)

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

I've just had a look and it's 10 minutes for me - if it's 12 for you that's some sort of deeply bizarre bug - could you email [email protected] and we'll take a look?
    It was 12 minutes for me 2 days ago, I haven't bothered to check again since, let me go see RQand, nope, it is now 10 minutes, so either it was 12 minutes at one point in time, and you guys changed it, or I just mis-read it the first time around, lol. *looks embarrassed*

23. - Top - End - #473

It was 12 minutes for me 2 days ago, I haven't bothered to check again since, let me go see RQand, nope, it is now 10 minutes, so either it was 12 minutes at one point in time, and you guys changed it, or I just mis-read it the first time around, lol. *looks embarrassed*
    We occasionally get weird display bugs with card and action refresh timers - it was probably one of those.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey!

;)
    My professor last quarter was from the UK and had a similar-sounding accent - in fact, his was worse because he also had a lisp - so after the first minute or so of the podcast I barely noticed your accent at all ...Ooh, wait, you just said "idear", never mind

Um, I have nothing on-subject to add. Keep up the good work *thumbs up*

Edit: The new pet-naming option under dealing with society matters at your lodgings doesn't automatically move your window to the top when you click on it. (At least, it doesn't for me.) Is this a bug?
    Last edited by Ceric; 2012-02-10 at 02:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

WOOOHOOO!! I have officially done it! I have my premises at the Bazaar! I didn't even have to sell any of the stuff I didn't want to AND I managed to grind enough so I didn't have to sell everything of the stuff I didn't care about keeping. I probably still have about 100 echoes worth of sellable stuff that I don't particularly need. I'll probably burn some turns converting that stuff to higher tier items instead ^^

Can't wait till I get the Bazaar card again so I can check out the storylets I unlocked ^^

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

WOOOHOOO!! I have officially done it! I have my premises at the Bazaar! I didn't even have to sell any of the stuff I didn't want to AND I managed to grind enough so I didn't have to sell everything of the stuff I didn't care about keeping. I probably still have about 100 echoes worth of sellable stuff that I don't particularly need. I'll probably burn some turns converting that stuff to higher tier items instead ^^

Can't wait till I get the Bazaar card again so I can check out the storylets I unlocked ^^
    Nice! I recently became associated with God's Editors, and am now working on starting a newspaper.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

So, now that I have successfully managed to save up for my most expensive purchase(barring an Overgoat or Hesperdian Cider), is there anything I will particularly need to save up for past this point?(I know I needed that 4 opportunity card lodging for Person of Some Importance) Or am I free to start buying whatever I feel like without any fear of "Omg, I shouldn't have bought that, I wasted all of those Echoes, now I can't afford X and I need X to get to Y"

Also, Chris, another question for you, but it's one I'll understand if you can't answer. Any plans to add 5 Card Residences in the future? 6 cards?(That would be cool, that way you could hold an entire decks worth in your hand at once).

28. - Top - End - #478

Also, Chris, another question for you, but it's one I'll understand if you can't answer. Any plans to add 5 Card Residences in the future? 6 cards?(That would be cool, that way you could hold an entire decks worth in your hand at once).
    I don't think so at the moment. We'd be wary about reducing the appeal of the 4-card residences, especially because people have worked so hard to get them. There's also the UI issues of cramming all those cards along the top row an different browsers and resolutions.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think so at the moment. We'd be wary about reducing the appeal of the 4-card residences, especially because people have worked so hard to get them. There's also the UI issues of cramming all those cards along the top row an different browsers and resolutions.
    Ahh, yeah I can definitely understand that, especially considering how long I had been grinding even before the festival of endless actions and the last couple of days with endless actions cut my time down by a full 2 1/2 weeks, I'd probably be a bit upset. Maybe offer a 5 card residence as a reward once the game is completed and a person maxes every quality at it's highest level. That would be kind of cool, and considering how much you guys say is left to come, it would be far enough in the future as to probably not upset anyone who has grinded for the 4-card residence ^^

So, another question, do you have any plans to further add more storylets specifically related to the 4-card residences? That would be pretty neat I think. Maybe a special full line of Storylets for each 4-card residence. It would certainly give people more reason to grind for all of them instead of just one. As it stands right now, I think the only reason someone would go for a 2nd or 3rd 4-card residence, is because they've accomplished all the current storylines and it's all that's left to them.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahh, yeah I can definitely understand that, especially considering how long I had been grinding even before the festival of endless actions and the last couple of days with endless actions cut my time down by a full 2 1/2 weeks, I'd probably be a bit upset. Maybe offer a 5 card residence as a reward once the game is completed and a person maxes every quality at it's highest level. That would be kind of cool, and considering how much you guys say is left to come, it would be far enough in the future as to probably not upset anyone who has grinded for the 4-card residence ^^

So, another question, do you have any plans to further add more storylets specifically related to the 4-card residences? That would be pretty neat I think. Maybe a special full line of Storylets for each 4-card residence. It would certainly give people more reason to grind for all of them instead of just one. As it stands right now, I think the only reason someone would go for a 2nd or 3rd 4-card residence, is because they've accomplished all the current storylines and it's all that's left to them.
    It's actually useful for accumulating scraps too.