New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    So, another question, do you have any plans to further add more storylets specifically related to the 4-card residences? That would be pretty neat I think. Maybe a special full line of Storylets for each 4-card residence. It would certainly give people more reason to grind for all of them instead of just one. As it stands right now, I think the only reason someone would go for a 2nd or 3rd 4-card residence, is because they've accomplished all the current storylines and it's all that's left to them.
    This would be rather nice. It would also add to the fact that the 4-card residences, despite the difficulty in grinding them out, are rendered obsolete by the time you get to PoSI. While I enjoy meeting the Ambassador in my Premises at the Bazaar, the 50 Cryptic Clues it gets me aren't worth my time since I can just as easily pick them up elsewhere.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    This would be rather nice. It would also add to the fact that the 4-card residences, despite the difficulty in grinding them out, are rendered obsolete by the time you get to PoSI. While I enjoy meeting the Ambassador in my Premises at the Bazaar, the 50 Cryptic Clues it gets me aren't worth my time since I can just as easily pick them up elsewhere.
    Ah-ha! Ah-ha-ha-ha! That's what the certifiable scraps options are for. The elite lodgings should give more scraps, and scraps are effectively more valuable the higher level you are.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    Ah-ha! Ah-ha-ha-ha! That's what the certifiable scraps options are for. The elite lodgings should give more scraps, and scraps are effectively more valuable the higher level you are.
    Hmm, I hadn't noticed a scraps option on my premises. I shall investigate further.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    They changed the cards, they're now much, much more worth it. Went from auto-discard to good. With the changes, I suspect they've boosted the rate they pop up at so that everyone gets a chance to look at them again.

For starters, it's now a small loss and a large gain. Which is great for raising hard to find Connections.

And the mediation options that a lot of the cards now have give some pretty rare items that can otherwise only be obtained by converting large amounts of lesser items. Tales of Terror, Mysteries of the Elder Continent etc.
    I love this change. But is it deliberate that some cards (crime and punishment for instance) still have a major loss and a little gain in their description? My university investigation is too important, and I couldn't spare the action point to find out if it's indeed different, or simply a description that was left unchanged.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I love this change. But is it deliberate that some cards (crime and punishment for instance) still have a major loss and a little gain in their description? My university investigation is too important, and I couldn't spare the action point to find out if it's indeed different, or simply a description that was left unchanged.
    They've all been changed, so that should be just an oversight on the text.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzzah, that's my key to the Brass Embassy acquired! Just in time for the Feast.

Spoiler
    Show
    You have the distressingly warm key to a guest room at the Brass Embassy. The luxury is sinful. The staff are always polite. Warm? I'll say it's warm. Good cigars, urbane conversation, and just the slightest possibility of accidental damnation. Use the key in your inventory to move here. You might wish to wear gloves.

And cheap at only 40k souls.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-02-13 at 06:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487

I love this change. But is it deliberate that some cards (crime and punishment for instance) still have a major loss and a little gain in their description?
    Gah. You know what would be awesome? If when I changed some &^%*ing Echo Bazaar text I remembered to press the &%*Ģing save button.

They all give some reduction in one in exchange for greater increase in the other. I'll correct that guidance.
    Last edited by Chris Gardiner; 2012-02-14 at 03:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

Gah. You know what would be awesome? If when I changed some &^%*ing Echo Bazaar text I remembered to press the &%*Ģing save button.

They all give some reduction in one in exchange for greater increase in the other. I'll correct that guidance.
    As has been said before, that's why you have us! We're like your own personal little bug finders/testers and error finders! ^^

9. - Top - End - #489

As has been said before, that's why you have us! We're like your own personal little bug finders/testers and error finders! ^^
    Fly, my pretties! Fly!

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh my, I hope I have time to finish the "see the real Exceptional Rose" story arc before it's too late.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

So, any rare successes in the Festival of the Rose stuff?

Edit: This question is aimed towards Chris, but anyone can answer if they know. What are the purposes of the "Other" 2nd chance items. Like, for dangerous you can get Hard-earned Lesson and Surprise Attack plan. But neither of them seems to do anything different, and that seems kind of a waste to me, like it COULD be used as something a bit differently. If nothing else, if you have both(and one of them is rarer then the other), you can have THREE chances at something instead of just 2, or perhaps you can choose to use the Surprise attack plan BEFORE you do a challenge, and have it lower a challenge by one level(like from High Risk to Chancy, or Chancy to Moderate).
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-02-14 at 07:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Oh my, I hope I have time to finish the "see the real Exceptional Rose" story arc before it's too late.
    I'm pretty sure you will. I assume you've already received a Gift of Adoration and started the arc?

Edit:
    I could swear I didn't get this much stuff the last time I enjoyed the decadence at Mrs Plenty's Pleasure Carnival, but I'm having a string of bad luck that prevents me from confirming it.
    Okay, yeah, it was a rare success :D
    Last edited by Ceric; 2012-02-15 at 01:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

The captivating princess is sometimes less distant. Maybe his amused lordship too, but I haven't checked much. I must see her again!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

The captivating princess is sometimes less distant. Maybe his amused lordship too, but I haven't checked much. I must see her again!
    Careful. She's a man-eater, that one.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Dunno about man-eater, but she's definitely a man-exiler. Time to get better acquainted with the tomb colonists.

16. - Top - End - #496

Edit: This question is aimed towards Chris, but anyone can answer if they know. What are the purposes of the "Other" 2nd chance items. Like, for dangerous you can get Hard-earned Lesson and Surprise Attack plan. But neither of them seems to do anything different, and that seems kind of a waste to me, like it COULD be used as something a bit differently. If nothing else, if you have both(and one of them is rarer then the other), you can have THREE chances at something instead of just 2, or perhaps you can choose to use the Surprise attack plan BEFORE you do a challenge, and have it lower a challenge by one level(like from High Risk to Chancy, or Chancy to Moderate).
    We added lots of rare successes to Exceptional Rose content this year.

The other second chance items are leftovers from the early days of the game. There were times when, fictionally, it made more sense to award a Hard-earned Lesson than a Surpise Attack Plan. We've discussed other things to do with second chance items, but it's one of those things that's much, much more complicated than it looks and we've got more important and urgent stuff to do.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, how far does the bit with the Urchin promising to show us the Exceptional rose go? I got my quality up to 5, and haven't seen another card since, but there was definitely not any resolution for it. I tried going to the Labyrinth, but nothing there besides standard stuff. Is it just a waiting game? Feels a bit weird though because I was getting the Urchin card like 1 out of every 4 cards or so all the way up to the point where I just stopped getting them at all(again, once I got my quality to 5).

edit: Oh btw Chris, I have a legitimate bug for you, and it pains me to tell you about it(because it saved me from wasting a good many turns a while back), I don't feel right using it, so here it is: When you are wounded to 8, if you immediately click on the "Myself" tab, and down a potion to lower your wounds back down to 7, you won't "die" and end up on the boat. I did that one day when I was desperately trying to finish up a storylet(I think it was raising my "The Hunt is on" quality so I could capture a sorrow-spider council), my wounds hit 8, and instead of clicking on "try this again" or "onwards", which would have immediately transferred me to the boat, I clicked on the myself tab and downed several potions and took my wounds down to below 7, and I ended up just fine. I had absolutely no -wounds equipment on, so I know it wasn't that at all.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-02-15 at 07:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

I have seen the rose, and it is exceptional.

Also, interesting quality: At the Gates of the Garden...

19. - Top - End - #499

Hmm, how far does the bit with the Urchin promising to show us the Exceptional rose go? I got my quality up to 5, and haven't seen another card since, but there was definitely not any resolution for it. I tried going to the Labyrinth, but nothing there besides standard stuff. Is it just a waiting game? Feels a bit weird though because I was getting the Urchin card like 1 out of every 4 cards or so all the way up to the point where I just stopped getting them at all(again, once I got my quality to 5).
    We had a brief bug that let people skip the ending, but this is now fixed. A super-frequent opportunity card should appear for you soon, letting you finish the story.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

We had a brief bug that let people skip the ending, but this is now fixed. A super-frequent opportunity card should appear for you soon, letting you finish the story.
    Huzzah, that's good to hear. :)

On another note, when you are sent a gift, scornful or other-wise, does it tell you that you got the gift on the messages page, or does it just show up via Opportunity card? Because I just got an Opportunity card that said someone sent me a box of chocolates or whatever, but when I bit into it, it was foul, and I lost a bit of "making Waves", gained nightmares I think, and also gained "Unaccountably Peckish"(which actually makes me quite happy, there are several storylets I've come across recently that had different options if you had the Peckish quality).

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Just got this card.

It also appears to give you the Gates of the Garden quality. Goes well with my The Eyes of Icarus.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, the tomb colonies. It's been some time since I was there. Perhaps I'll find a tomb lion while I'm there.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzzah, that's good to hear. :)

On another note, when you are sent a gift, scornful or other-wise, does it tell you that you got the gift on the messages page, or does it just show up via Opportunity card? Because I just got an Opportunity card that said someone sent me a box of chocolates or whatever, but when I bit into it, it was foul, and I lost a bit of "making Waves", gained nightmares I think, and also gained "Unaccountably Peckish"(which actually makes me quite happy, there are several storylets I've come across recently that had different options if you had the Peckish quality).
    It sends a message. The card is probably for those unlucky people with no one to send them gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Just got this card.

It also appears to give you the Gates of the Garden quality. Goes well with my The Eyes of Icarus.
    Strange. I saw the Rose yesterday, and it didn't give me the Gates. Today the card appeared again, I saw it again, and I got the quality. Wonder what's this all about.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

A new storylet options in Ladybones Road regarding graffiti seems to have appeared. And it has a very odd reward, possibly for a rare success.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh, I has a new mode of transportation: An obdurate stallion. It shall replace my Landau as my preferred form of transport around Fallen London.

A new storylet options in Ladybones Road regarding graffiti seems to have appeared. And it has a very odd reward, possibly for a rare success.
    A placeholder perhaps? And a new quality as well.

All will be well and all manner of things will be well.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-02-16 at 05:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Working on the "Bound in Diocesan Intrigue" story, and it's quite interesting to see the reactions of different characters. I'm still wondering if I'll get to talk to the Regretful Soldier about it... although I already got him to sell his soul, so our relationship might be strained.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Working on the "Bound in Diocesan Intrigue" story, and it's quite interesting to see the reactions of different characters. I'm still wondering if I'll get to talk to the Regretful Soldier about it... although I already got him to sell his soul, so our relationship might be strained.
    Interesting indeed. I just spoke with the Bishop of St Fiachra's about it and he raised a very interesting point.

I don't suppose we're ever likely to see an answer to that particular little piece of information Chris?

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

I just got a message from myself about a dream of other places. I got the eyes of icarus, some scholar increase, and a massive watchful increase from it. What was that about? Something to do with the secrets in a frame of gold I just got done uncovering? Or is it completely unrelated?

29. - Top - End - #509
    Bugbear in the Playground

Its a new unrelated story. It seems like it works about once per week. There is a topic about it on the Failbetter forums.

Just had my Explorer of the Unterzee quality increase to 9. At first I thought it was like the Scholar of the Correspondence, with different titles from 1-3, 3-9, and 9+. After zailing awhile I see it upgrade to level 9, only to see I am still a Well-Known Navigator. This made me sad.

Also, when that new wallpaper on the twitter feed was posted it was mentioned some new changes were coming. Any guesses? I imagine more stories that take multiple days to occur are coming down the line, any other thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

I just got a message from myself about a dream of other places. I got the eyes of icarus, some scholar increase, and a massive watchful increase from it. What was that about? Something to do with the secrets in a frame of gold I just got done uncovering? Or is it completely unrelated?
    There's a storylet in Ladybones Road, the one about the graffiti. If you do that, it sends the message about a week later.