New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

This new storylet is driving me insane.

The story behind it is really cool, I'm loving that. But to progress you have to pass a luck challenge. Every time you succeed the price for the next challenge goes up. If you fail even once you have to start all over.

I have wasted more echoes on this than anything else. I suspect that this might have been an experiment to see if luck challenges might be a way to see if they can stall player progress instead of grinding, but I hope no other story format follows this pattern. Its infuriating, and while the story is fun its hard to appreciated because your afraid your going to have to start all over.

Every time you succeed you are given a chance to quit and take some goods. But I want to see more story, and apparently the only way that happens is if I keep ripping out my hair and try again despite how many times I lose all my progress.

On Alexis Kennedy's twitter he mentioned a new story pattern, the Trifle Dragon. Is that the new luck based story style?

I suppose the main reason I hate this so much is that it interferes with telling the story. I feel like I'm punished for trying to learn more rather than taking goods. I play Echo Bazaar for stories, and I feel this is getting in the way of that. Perhaps it might work as a high risk way of trying to earn goods like shroom hopping, but not as a story telling medium.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

If it's that infuriating, I'm glad I'm currently at zee, searching for seals and keys on my maiden voyage.

I'll gladly let other folks pull their hair out figuring out how it works.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ettin in the Playground

Ooh. I've just gotten the option to cash out for a Night-Whisper, and I don't have any of those yet. I'm quite tempted.

EDIT: And while I understand your frustration, what else are you going to do if you're stat-capped?
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-03-01 at 07:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574

I've yet to get past the first level of the Royal Beth. I think I've only spent wasted around 30-40 actions.

EDIT: And while I understand your frustration, what else are you going to do if you're stat-capped?
    Not waste my actions, echoes, and do something that wouldn't frustrate me?
    As I said, the design interferes with storytelling. Which seems completely counterintuitive to everything else I've seen Failbetter create.
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2012-03-01 at 07:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. I must've had shockingly good luck. Just finished after a handful of failures, going to try again for a Night-Whisper.

6. - Top - End - #576

It took more than 40 Tales of Terror and Lord knows how many actions, but I finally finished it.
    Last edited by Saint Nil; 2012-03-02 at 10:19 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #577
    Orc in the Playground

So, Starwulf, it seems I am the better gardener between us two
    Did you get something out of that? I just got skill increase in Fighting in Tournament, do you get something as compensantion for you action?
    Also, anyone knows how is this Tournament of Lillies ending? Or is it just like Knife and Candle, where you just aim for the high score?
    P.S. Thanks everyone who sent me a boxed cat, sadly, I didn't get a single Starveling Cat, so it seems I get to keep my soul for now. Curses *sadface*
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    So, Starwulf, it seems I am the better gardener between us two
    Did you get something out of that? I just got skill increase in Fighting in Tournament, do you get something as compensantion for you action?
    Also, anyone knows how is this Tournament of Lillies ending? Or is it just like Knife and Candle, where you just aim for the high score?
    P.S. Thanks everyone who sent me a boxed cat, sadly, I didn't get a single Starveling Cat, so it seems I get to keep my soul for now. Curses *sadface*
    Hehe, I got a decrease in my "Attending to the plant" quality, and that's it. LOL. In other words, nothing good, only bad. What level is your plant anyways? Mine is ALMOST 12(well, was, not sure what it is now).

Sucks you still haven't gotten a cat :-(. I've only had two cat cards show up since you started asking, sent them both.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Hehe, I got a decrease in my "Attending to the plant" quality, and that's it. LOL. In other words, nothing good, only bad. What level is your plant anyways? Mine is ALMOST 12(well, was, not sure what it is now).

Sucks you still haven't gotten a cat :-(. I've only had two cat cards show up since you started asking, sent them both.
    Mine was 10 at the time. Seems I was really lucky .D
    Well, since I have to get a lot of them anyways I'm not that buggered. This is a slow game after all. I remember how long it took me to get that thing in Shuttered Palace with the lovers, I think it was almost six months. Also, that's Mr. Eaten's name I'm looking for, not really a bright idea to pursue.
    ---

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

ya know, talking about the Palace and what not, I thought that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You eventually got exiled from there? Or something like that? I've done gone through all the content there, never got exiled. I'm in Mahogany Hall now doing the persuasive side of things.

And yes, apparently you did get pretty lucky. LOL. Ahh well ^^

11. - Top - End - #581

Somehow they seem to have removed the action that redued suspicion without needing a friend? This severely hampers my progress. Does anyone know what became of it?
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

12. - Top - End - #582
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You eventually got exiled from there? Or something like that? I've done gone through all the content there, never got exiled. I'm in Mahogany Hall now doing the persuasive side of things.

If by getting exiled, you mean getting my Scandal over 15, then yes, I did that But it's not the thing you are refering to in spoiler, it's the storyline where you try to woo into bed a certain individuals.
    And as for my little plant, she just beat Narkis's plant, and I got like 150 Whispered Secrets to boot. Seems my gal is a fighter .D
    ---

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

You do get banished from Court, yes. And no, it's not for the seduction.

It is currently pretty easy to miss the resolution to the storyline though. Here's how to get it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whenever you complete an artistic work it increases you Carving out a Reputation at Court quality. Get this high enough, to 4 I think, and the Veteran Privy Councillor will commission a... shall we say, singular work. Upon completion of this work, you will be banished from court. I think this may be required to unlock the foreign office.

To those on the Heart's Desire ambition, the Topsy King's opera can optionally be done as this final work. It's somewhat memorable.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    You do get banished from Court, yes. And no, it's not for the seduction.

It is currently pretty easy to miss the resolution to the storyline though. Here's how to get it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whenever you complete an artistic work it increases you Carving out a Reputation at Court quality. Get this high enough, to 4 I think, and the Veteran Privy Councillor will commission a... shall we say, singular work. Upon completion of this work, you will be banished from court. I think this may be required to unlock the foreign office.

To those on the Heart's Desire ambition, the Topsy King's opera can optionally be done as this final work. It's somewhat memorable.
    Actually...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It allows you to go to Mahagony Halls. And are you really sure about that Topsy King part? I don't think I remember seeing something like that. And checking the wiki all the way down, I can't seem to find any reference to Topsy King. And I did my part on Heart's Desire, I'm currently at 20, and I remember the opera in question from there.
    ---

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Actually...
    Spoiler
    Show
    It allows you to go to Mahagony Halls. And are you really sure about that Topsy King part? I don't think I remember seeing something like that. And checking the wiki all the way down, I can't seem to find any reference to Topsy King. And I did my part on Heart's Desire, I'm currently at 20, and I remember the opera in question from there.
    Not quite...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can get to Mahogany hall without finishing Court. I know this first-hand. That, and the fact that it takes multiple loops through before the final part of the story shows up, is why it's so easy to completely skip the final bit of Court. If you can still access the court, you haven't finished it.

And yes, you do need to be Banished from Court to access the Foreign Office. I checked, the storylet to unlock access to that particular location has the Banished from Court 1 quality as a requirement.

As for the opera, go to the page you linked and look near the bottom. The storylet titled The Grand Finale has an option labelled Tristram Bagley's unfinished masterpiece. It requires Heart's Desire - the Topsy King 22, so you may not have gotten to that part of your Ambition yet.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahhh, I completely missed that part. So I need to make a few more works of art eh? Ahh well, that's fine ^^

Also, This next part is directly for Chris, it's a complaint: Please make all auto-action cards Red-Bordered. I just clicked on a gold(or yellow, not sure which) bordered card, it said it was unlocked with "Seeking Mr. Eaten's name 1". I just wanted to see what it said inside, but instead it auto-completed, nearly putting me into 8 for Nightmares(one, ONE point away), which I would have been very upset about, since I know you can lose Dream Qualities like that, and if I lost my level 13 Thunder quality, I'd have been quite upset. It also took my persuasive down quite a bit, I was a good bit into 99, and it took me down to about 6 points below 99.

Not cool at all. I always click on yellow and gold bordered cards simply to see what they say inside, I only click on red ones if I'm sure I want to. Also, I was so upset, I didn't even bother reading the text, I just clicked out, so now I'm nearly insane, lost persuasive, AND I don't know what's going on in the storylet :-(
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-03-07 at 09:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ahhh, I completely missed that part. So I need to make a few more works of art eh? Ahh well, that's fine ^^

Also, This next part is directly for Chris, it's a complaint: Please make all auto-action cards Red-Bordered. I just clicked on a gold(or yellow, not sure which) bordered card, it said it was unlocked with "Seeking Mr. Eaten's name 1". I just wanted to see what it said inside, but instead it auto-completed, nearly putting me into 8 for Nightmares(one, ONE point away), which I would have been very upset about, since I know you can lose Dream Qualities like that, and if I lost my level 13 Thunder quality, I'd have been quite upset. It also took my persuasive down quite a bit, I was a good bit into 99, and it took me down to about 6 points below 99.

Not cool at all. I always click on yellow and gold bordered cards simply to see what they say inside, I only click on red ones if I'm sure I want to. Also, I was so upset, I didn't even bother reading the text, I just clicked out, so now I'm nearly insane, lost persuasive, AND I don't know what's going on in the storylet :-(
    Ordinarily I'd agree, but seeing as it's Mr Eaten, they probably did that on purpose.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    Ordinarily I'd agree, but seeing as it's Mr Eaten, they probably did that on purpose.
    Still, when the entire time you've played a game, Red means auto, and nothing else is, and you've spent 6+ months playing it that way, to change it just like that, it's very irritating, especially when it nearly puts your into insanity.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: Is there a better way to farm lamplighter's beeswax in London than the unfinished business in Ladybones storylet? It's the only one of the components required for my zubmarine that I don't have in ample supply.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

Not quite...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can get to Mahogany hall without finishing Court. I know this first-hand. That, and the fact that it takes multiple loops through before the final part of the story shows up, is why it's so easy to completely skip the final bit of Court. If you can still access the court, you haven't finished it.

And yes, you do need to be Banished from Court to access the Foreign Office. I checked, the storylet to unlock access to that particular location has the Banished from Court 1 quality as a requirement.

As for the opera, go to the page you linked and look near the bottom. The storylet titled The Grand Finale has an option labelled Tristram Bagley's unfinished masterpiece. It requires Heart's Desire - the Topsy King 22, so you may not have gotten to that part of your Ambition yet.
    Oh. OH! That's because when I finished with Court Mahagony Halls just came out, so I assumed it was the follower. Silly me. This makes so much sense actually.

Still, when the entire time you've played a game, Red means auto, and nothing else is, and you've spent 6+ months playing it that way, to change it just like that, it's very irritating, especially when it nearly puts your into insanity.
    I think I remember the storylet in question. My response was along the lines of "well, I would have used it anyways."
    ---

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Question: Is there a better way to farm lamplighter's beeswax in London than the unfinished business in Ladybones storylet? It's the only one of the components required for my zubmarine that I don't have in ample supply.
    The only other option I've seen is one that shows up during a Voyage of Scientific Discovery. Can't remember which island it was on, but it gives slightly more per action, though it's only available for a short bit of the cycle and thus a bit slower.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-03-08 at 05:19 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Orc in the Playground

I hate myself. And Mr. Eaten
    Also, I thought they put that Unfinished Business storylines just because it's the easiest way to farm goods?
    ---

23. - Top - End - #593
    Troll in the Playground

I hate myself. And Mr. Eaten
    Also, I thought they put that Unfinished Business storylines just because it's the easiest way to farm goods?
    They're an obvious and easy to access way, yes.

But they all give 1 Echo's worth of goods per action, barring the multi-action ones that give slightly more. As you move into the higher end content you start getting more than 1 echo's worth of goods per action, and if that reward is given in the item you're after it can be more efficient than using Unfinished Business.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Orc in the Playground

They're an obvious and easy to access way, yes.

But they all give 1 Echo's worth of goods per action, barring the multi-action ones that give slightly more. As you move into the higher end content you start getting more than 1 echo's worth of goods per action, and if that reward is given in the item you're after it can be more efficient than using Unfinished Business.
    But there is Unfinished Business for every "basic" item in game. So it means that if you need to farm a certain item, you can just farm it there, instead of buying it. Because most of the items cost twice their selling points in Echo, so unless you are getting 2 Echo's per action, you will be going faster with Unfinished Business. Or am I missing something in my math?
    ---

25. - Top - End - #595
    Troll in the Playground

But there is Unfinished Business for every "basic" item in game. So it means that if you need to farm a certain item, you can just farm it there, instead of buying it. Because most of the items cost twice their selling points in Echo, so unless you are getting 2 Echo's per action, you will be going faster with Unfinished Business. Or am I missing something in my math?
    Yes, you are. Other, more advanced actions also provide the exact same items, but in potentially larger quantities. No need to sell or buy anything. Did you think they suddenly stopped handing out Rostygold and Cryptic Clues for the higher level storylets or something?

Unfinished Business: 100x Deep Amber

Work for Jasper And Frank: 112x Deep Amber

Which is better for grinding Deep Amber?
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-03-08 at 07:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, you are. Other, more advanced actions also provide the exact same items, but in potentially larger quantities. No need to sell or buy anything. Did you think they suddenly stopped handing out Rostygold and Cryptic Clues for the higher level storylets or something?

Unfinished Business: 100x Deep Amber

Work for Jasper And Frank: 112x Deep Amber

Which is better for grinding Glim?
    Oh, that's what you meant by getting more Echo-worth in goods. Because before I stopped playing for a bit, I was just grinding that same Ambers from Jasper and Frank so I could sell them, so I just assumed that you meant getting everything with Echo, instead of doing the logical thing and seeking out the biggest paying actions.
    That's what I get for getting up 4 hours earlier then normal
    ---

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

Soo..uhh, Extraordinary implications. Where to get them? I can't make them using Tales of Terror because I have no connected Summerset, and I don't particularly feel like shelling out 100 Echoes to buy a connection item just so I can raise my connection quality for the sole purpose of making a singular Extraordinary Implication so I can finish the damnable(or get closer to anyways) Widget storylet. I also don't want to give up on the storyline and take the Night Tales or whatever it is, I'd like to see if I can take this one all the way to the end.

So, is there any other way to get an extraordinary implication? Another item conversion that gives it? An item conversion that gives one on a rare success?

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Soo..uhh, Extraordinary implications. Where to get them? I can't make them using Tales of Terror because I have no connected Summerset, and I don't particularly feel like shelling out 100 Echoes to buy a connection item just so I can raise my connection quality for the sole purpose of making a singular Extraordinary Implication so I can finish the damnable(or get closer to anyways) Widget storylet. I also don't want to give up on the storyline and take the Night Tales or whatever it is, I'd like to see if I can take this one all the way to the end.

So, is there any other way to get an extraordinary implication? Another item conversion that gives it? An item conversion that gives one on a rare success?
    You can get them from the Foreign Office, if that helps.

29. - Top - End - #599

You can also find them at Hunters Keep and Mutton Isle across the Unterzee.

However, the easiest thing to do is turn another Tale of Terror into a Sense of Deja Vu, and then opt of the story by turning it into a Extraordinary Implication. This will not interfere with you Black Lens.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you also lost your Benthic connections? You can convert Journals of Infamy if you haven't.

Alternatively, you can get some as reward if you get engaged in theological husbandry.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!