New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

There is a bug with the numistrix, but our wonderful Failbetter team is working on that. Also, Someone if Coming does not reset when you set to zee. Rather, some cards will increase it.

Glad to see you back Chris. I imagine this has been a rather busy week. Ms. Khan and Mr. Kennedy's twitter battle this morning was rather interesting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey all, got a quick question for those who have done this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Getting the Correspondence stones back, you need like 10 bottles of Muscaria brandy. I just now finally got that, as grinding for souls sucked, so I've been saving up my Scraps and handed em over to the Relicker and got lucky and snagged 20 bottles. So, is there a particular place that that opportunity card shows up at, or is it strictly a matter of luck? I ask because I"ve gotten it several times before, but I have no idea where I was and if that had any impact on it. I'd love to get them back, even if there is no further story for them at the moment(No idea if there is or not), just so I have them. So..any help would be appreciated as always :)

Just to note, I have thoroughly searched the Wikia site for information pertaining to what's in the spoilers, I have searched all the opportunity cards they have listed, and not a single one of them was what I was looking for. It's almost as though I'm insane and the card doesn't exist, but I know it does because I've seen it and tossed it half a dozen times due to not having any Muscaria Brandy ><
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-04-04 at 12:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

I believe the University is what your looking for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

came across an interesting opportunity card today, but I couldn't take advantage of it. It apparently requires one of the people I am following/being followed by on Twitter(or facebook, but I don't facebook) to be at the same amount of progress, which if I'm correct, is "Spending Money 4". It specifically said "no-one has the necessary quality to join you in this endeavor".

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

I got the same card. Or at least one that says the same thing. I'm @Narkis24
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I got the same card. Or at least one that says the same thing. I'm @Narkis24
    k. I"m following you now, and I sent you the "Honest" side of that card. We are now "Counting the Days".

7. - Top - End - #667
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I hope y'all don't mind a REAL newbie to Fallen London joining you here. (All stats in 30's). Twitter = Ryenke if you want pass the cats etc.

Question. All the newcomer advice I see says be VERY certain before you pick an ambition. But I can't find out enough info to BE certain. I'm thinking I don't want Light Fingers or Hearts desire because I don't enjoy the stories in Veilgarden or Spite as much as I like Ladybones Road and Watchmaker's hill but Nemesis and Bag a Legend both go for Dangerous and Watchful and I don't know how to choose between them.

Should I wait to pick? Have I waited longer than I should have to pick? Confused newcomer would love some advice.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryenke View Post
    Should I wait to pick? Have I waited longer than I should have to pick? Confused newcomer would love some advice.
    Don't worry, you're not to late too pick.

As for which to choose... I wouldn't base your decision on the early areas. You'll move on from those places eventually, and the distinction between the main qualities collapses a while after that. Instead, I'd go with whichever story sounds more appealing to you.

Do you want a story of well-earned vengeance and merciless pursuit? Then you want Nemesis. Or how about the hunt for a legendary beast and it's ancient secrets? That's Bag a Legend. Heart's Desire sets you on the pursuit of a mysterious game and introduces you to some of the Neath's more interesting personalities, while Light Fingers has you pulling off the theft of the century. Pick whichever story sounds the most interesting to you.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-04-09 at 11:51 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

9. - Top - End - #669
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks! It looks like I'm a Nemesis kind a gal.... Vengeance shall be mine!

10. - Top - End - #670
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks! It looks like I'm a Nemesis kind a gal.... Vengeance shall be mine!
    An excellent choice.

As a bit of advice for when you get to that part, I'd make sure to try the red honey with a full opportunity deck and only a couple of actions left. The Opportunity cards you can receive whilst under it's effects are rather good.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks for the advice. I assume your advice will be comprehensible at the right time, as just yet, it doesn't compute. (Like many things in the game the first time I see them)

I'm really enjoying Fallen London so far. I keep trying to get husband and friends to take a look at it, but they have not yet been persuaded (I guess I need to work on Persuasion), so I'm thrilled to find this thread.

I started playing just after the action cap removal, and I'm glad I did, because things can move slightly quicker for me - I'm they type who can lose interest if too frustrated, so I think the current limits are just enough to keep me coming back a few times a day and get enough done to keep me hooked!

Today is my day off, so I'm reading this thread all the way through (skipping spoilers) to try to get more oriented - the Wiki and EB forums confuse me more than anything - it seems often the content there assumes I have knowledge that I seem to lack to understand what is written there) but I've learned so much useful stuff here by reading people's discussions in this thread.
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-04-09 at 12:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Troll in the Playground

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. We're happy to help explain any terms you haven't been introduced to yet (so are the folks on the FB forums for the most part).

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    An excellent choice.

As a bit of advice for when you get to that part, I'd make sure to try the red honey with a full opportunity deck and only a couple of actions left. The Opportunity cards you can receive whilst under it's effects are rather good.
    I never actually used the Red Honey (though I did at one point offer it to Mr Sacks on Twitter. He put me on his list.) It's still sitting in my inventory.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    I never actually used the Red Honey (though I did at one point offer it to Mr Sacks on Twitter. He put me on his list.) It's still sitting in my inventory.
    I'd advise taking a look at it sometime, the writing is fantastic for that bit.

Also, there are repeatable opportunity cards in there that give you Fate. Unless they've changed it since I was there.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-04-09 at 04:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. We're happy to help explain any terms you haven't been introduced to yet (so are the folks on the FB forums for the most part).
    I will certainly second this ^^ I was compelled to try this game after reading the first few pages here on the forums, and I've been bombarding them with questions ever since, though now I can answer some of them myself :) It's a great game, I look forward to seeing how many of the storylines turn out once the game is complete.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Thanks much, all.

Starwulf - sent you a cat :) Now I know y'all might want them, and I currently have no need/use, I'm happy to pass them on!

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

Woohoo, finally got all three of the four-card lodgings. Also finished the Velocipede Squad and Foreign Office. Hmm, what to do now... I didn't really plumb the depths of Polythreme, so that's an option. Or I could just work on grinding up components for the Sidestreets stuff that I haven't bought yet, like the Clay Sedan Chair and Club membership.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks much, all.

Starwulf - sent you a cat :) Now I know y'all might want them, and I currently have no need/use, I'm happy to pass them on!
    Thank you greatly :) I opened it up shortly after you sent it. Still no luck on the Starveling cat, but at least no sorrow spider tried to maim me!

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Woohoo, finally got all three of the four-card lodgings. Also finished the Velocipede Squad and Foreign Office. Hmm, what to do now... I didn't really plumb the depths of Polythreme, so that's an option. Or I could just work on grinding up components for the Sidestreets stuff that I haven't bought yet, like the Clay Sedan Chair and Club membership.
    Dayumn! That's pretty sweet. Pretty impressive on the 4-card lodgings. I'm working on other things right now, but I"ll get around to them sooner or later. How did you get the fate for all of those fate locked storylets? Buy it, or free offers, or what? I'm considering shelling out 10 or 20 bucks for fate sometime soon, would love to open up several of the various storylets.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-04-09 at 11:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ok, I have a question, about opportunity cards.

From what I read here, the location i am at when I turn over an opportunity card matters. So if I am in Ladybones Road do I get different opportunity cards than Spite? If yes, do I get different opportunity cards at the Carnival? (I don't think I've ever been at the Carnival when turning over opportunity cards.) Also if yes, is the same true for House of Chimes?

Does my current level matter (including equipment) when I turn over an opportunity card? If I'm wearing a ridiculous hat when I turn over an opportunity card will I get the cards for stats 10 below my current? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is yes based upon talk I've seen here.)

At low levels where I am now (38 Dangerous, the rest are about 30) I don't see too much reason to hold on to cards that are currently out of my playable reach - I keep seeing the same ones over and over - does this sound right?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

Ok, I have a question, about opportunity cards.

From what I read here, the location i am at when I turn over an opportunity card matters. So if I am in Ladybones Road do I get different opportunity cards than Spite? If yes, do I get different opportunity cards at the Carnival? (I don't think I've ever been at the Carnival when turning over opportunity cards.) Also if yes, is the same true for House of Chimes?

Does my current level matter (including equipment) when I turn over an opportunity card? If I'm wearing a ridiculous hat when I turn over an opportunity card will I get the cards for stats 10 below my current? (I'm pretty sure the answer to this one is yes based upon talk I've seen here.)

At low levels where I am now (38 Dangerous, the rest are about 30) I don't see too much reason to hold on to cards that are currently out of my playable reach - I keep seeing the same ones over and over - does this sound right?
    Location does matter to a very small number of cards. A very, very small number of them. Unless you're specifically looking for a card that's limited by location I wouldn't pay it much thought, as the vast majority of cards don't care where you draw them.

Yes, everything in EBZ Fallen London is done off your current level. The only exception is for determining the number of change points required to reach the next level up in a quality, which uses your actual level.

Sounds about right. The vast majority of cards aren't really worth it, though a lot of them were recently changed to give you the Someone is Coming quality which can be traded in for a reward after you get it to 4. Lodgings (for Scraps), Storyline cards and Menace reducers are the main ones to keep an eye out for.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The vast majority of cards aren't really worth it, though a lot of them were recently changed to give you the Someone is Coming quality which can be traded in for a reward after you get it to 4. Lodgings (for Scraps), Storyline cards and Menace reducers are the main ones to keep an eye out for.
    OK, my Someone is Coming Quality is 7 - so I should be on the lookout for a card for that?

Also, I keep reading that Scrap is available at Lodgings. I sure don't see anything. (I read somewhere that the gossip has something, but I don't think so when I check.) Do you mean opportunity cards when at Lodgings? Or am I at too low a level to get the option at my Lodgings. (By Scrap - you do mean Certifiable Scrap, yes? I have a tiny amount of the stuff, but haven't seen anything much to do with it except lose it when I keep failing the matter of luck cards I've gotten - Relicker cards?.)

And YEA! Have a 3 card lodging now! Well, I guess a Smokey Flophouse is a step up in the world...:)

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

OK, my Someone is Coming Quality is 7 - so I should be on the lookout for a card for that?

Also, I keep reading that Scrap is available at Lodgings. I sure don't see anything. (I read somewhere that the gossip has something, but I don't think so when I check.) Do you mean opportunity cards when at Lodgings? Or am I at too low a level to get the option at my Lodgings. (By Scrap - you do mean Certifiable Scrap, yes? I have a tiny amount of the stuff, but haven't seen anything much to do with it except lose it when I keep failing the matter of luck cards I've gotten - Relicker cards?.)

And YEA! Have a 3 card lodging now! Well, I guess a Smokey Flophouse is a step up in the world...:)
    The Someone is Coming opportunity card can show up anywhere from 4 onwards. So yes, I'd keep an eye out for it.

Remember the opportunity cards you used to get your lodgings? When they show up again after you've got the lodging they correspond to, you can take some different options that can earn you Certifiable Scraps. This is why people try to have as many lodgings as possible.

Congrats on the new lodging. Just wait until you see the cost for one of the 4 card lodgings.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-04-10 at 09:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Halfling in the Playground

Hi Ryenke - welcome to Fallen London!

Tome's answers to your questions are all bang on.

You may find this thread on our official forums useful, too: a collection of advice for new players.

I'd be interested to hear which bits of the game you found confusing, poorly explained or intimidating, if you have the time.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    Hi Ryenke - welcome to Fallen London!

Tome's answers to your questions are all bang on.

You may find this thread on our official forums useful, too: a collection of advice for new players.

I'd be interested to hear which bits of the game you found confusing, poorly explained or intimidating, if you have the time.
    OOPS, now you've done it. I've done a lot of de facto beta testing and giving feedback for and to custom business programmers on user interface etc. (and been the sponsor for such projects) so you are in for it. - but just in case you REALLY mean it, here goes.

Even though I see Fallen London as mostly an experiment and see where it goes game (much like the early text based adventures I remember playing in college {you are in a maze of twisty passages...} ) I think you might lose people in the very beginning who need a bit more handholding. Now, I'm NOT your sponsor, I do realize you may have intended the items below that I list as confusing to be a learning experience, but I'll give you my impressions and let you weigh them as you will.

My impressions: Game Start: Tutorial in jail:

{Full disclosure, I just started a new character with my current knowledge and to walk through this part again so I could give you concrete feedback.}

Choosing first storylet closed out others - made me uncomfortable without any warning I noticed. My original time playing this area I played the Opportunity Card. That opened up with 4 storylets - I chose one, but was confused that the other three then disappeared. I know the tutorial part told me I couldn't do anything wrong, but still I thought I had made a misstep when they were gone. I also got confused as to what cost actions. Filling my hand - no action point but playing a card did have an action point. Got that - but I was surprised that the storylets cost action points too.

Auto-action, or chance to back out? I couldn't tell. I'd recommend making it clear upfront when there is a chance to back-out of something without using an action somehow. Some of the storylets in the tutorial, I think?, are initially auto-actions using points. But the move ahead box says "Go". Some storylets give me a choice (a modest opportunity) but on the Story tab the move ahead box also says "Go" - and I have a chance to back out with the "Perhaps Not" box. With no visual clue when clicking "Go" would use an action, and not have a back-out option or not, I felt a tad frustrated trying to figure out what was going on.

Same with the opportunity cards. The first couple (all in tutorial?) were red bordered, which I NOW know means they will automatically play through. But that bit of info is buried in the Help page FAQ - hard to find and I missed it first time. When an action is used is a tad confusing at first, and some clue as to when clicking on something is an 'action using choice' would have been very welcome. (See below Help FAQ - Ambiguity)

(Going through the tutorial this time, I think the last Opportunity card in the original stack explains actions etc. but I'm pretty sure I never even got to that Opportunity card my first time through - see next point)

I Missed Out on Opportunity Cards in Tutorial The first time through, I didn't realize that the cards were as important as the Storylets and after I started on the tutorial Storylets I didn't use the cards just the Storylet options. Because, what I heard about Fallen London was that it was Story based, I guess I figured you only use the cards when stuck in the story.

Echo/Journal Clicking on an "Echo" tells me it will place a snippet on your journal or tweet - but what and where is the journal? (I know NOW of course). FAQ doesn't mention journal. Somewhere newbies should be directed to their profile page so they know what this means. I played for DAYS before I found the profile page (would have found it earlier I suppose if I had been directing friends to it)

Help FAQ - ambiguity
    • QUOTE From FAQ (emphasis added): You draw Opportunity cards from the deck at the top, and decide whether to play or discard them. Playing one costs an action.

• QUOTE from the Story page: Click an Opportunity card to play it

See my problem? I thought just drawing an Opportunity card would lower my action points.

Other Tabs I'd have liked it if you gave me a reason in the tutorial (in Storylets or Opportunity Card) to get acquainted with other tabs. Particularly Messages, Myself and My Friends. Maybe an item to equip (even if it is mostly useless post tutorial). Maybe a message for the Messages tab from another prisoner or a friend who got me into the game.... Maybe a FAQ paragraph for the tutorial on the Help tab sending the new gamer to other tabs.

Help page confusion Wow that's a lot of stuff on the Help page with lots of terms I'm just learning as a brand new player. - My suggestion? Do a slim help paragraph for newbies or tutorial. Make it the First item in the FAQ. Bullet point Actions, Opportunity Cards, Storylets and Myself page using minimum detail necessary to get player through tutorial and hyperlink to fuller explanatory FAQ paragraph.

Oof, probably more than you wanted... I hope it is clear. I hope it is of some use to you. Feel free to contact me if you need clarification on anything above. I'll put up a second post of my impressions of early game play later. (where to go/what to do initially chance percentages and lodgings confusion)

Just to be clear, though, I LOVE Fallen London. Truly thrilled I found it.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Getting so close to Stormy Eyed! 15 1/2 out of 18 now. Definitely taking longer then I had originally predicted back in January, mostly because cards started to slack off. Now I"m getting quite a few again, I've gone from 13 3/4 to current in like 3 days.

Edit: To respond to the question posed by Chris, even though I'm no longer a newbie, I'd have to say that perhaps there could be a bit more of an explanation for fresh start-ups on certain things. I myself had little to no problems early on(I've had many more as I've progressed, since things get significantly more complicated as you delve farther into the mysteries of the Neath), but that is likely attributed to play very complicated games that, surprise surprise, don't give much in the way of explanations. I'm used to figuring out stuff like this, plus I had the information garnered from this thread when I started. Again though, if you're aiming for casual gamers at all, I'd definitely agree a more succinct and thorough tutorial in the early portion of the game would probably help a good deal, especially in actually retaining players.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-04-11 at 01:54 AM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, I remember when my friend started playing it took him a few days to notice the "Travel!" button. He just flipped cards in his lodgings. I vaguely have the impression that there's some text specifically pointing it out somewhere, but perhaps it could be made more obvious for newbies?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Question:

How do I tell the exact level of menaces (nightmares) I have (i.e. how many CP I need to avoid to move up another level)? For instance, say I go to the myself tab and open menaces and see nightmares at 4. But is that just barely 4 or I'm at the tipping point to 5? I thought I read somewhere you could find this out - but when I mouse over my menaces it doesn't tell me. Do I have to keep a log outside of the game or something (ugh) whenever I do something that increases/decreases my menaces?

Related Question:
    I have a cheerful goldfish. But the happy fellow doesn't seem to effect my nightmares at all (at least not on the menace section of the Myself tab). I currently am at Nightmares 2 - Twitchy. I equip Touhy, my cheerful goldfish, and it still says Nightmares 2 on the Myself tab (I tried refreshing the page - no change). The mouseover tooltip for cheerful goldfish says Nightmares -1 so I thought it would lower my nightmare menace by 1 point (down to 1) but it doesn't seem to work?
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-04-11 at 01:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Barbarian in the Playground

The only way to know the exact CP of your Menances (or any other quality) is to mouse over the little icon in the results of a storylet when it says the quality is increasing or decreasing. Personally, I don't think it's worth keeping a log for. I only start worrying when my Menances are at, like, 7 or something

Your goldfish does affect your Nightmares, but it won't show on the Myself tab because that number is, I suppose, your base stat in that quality rather than your effective level. If you really want the game to tell you your effective level, you can make that Menance your scrapbook status on your profile; the word description is still your base level but the number in the circle is your effective level. And the status will disappear entirely if your items bring the effective level to zero. (I just checked and it doesn't work for Nightmares for some reason. The circle disppears when you equip an item. I guess that's a bug. Scandal and Suspicion are fine though.)

29. - Top - End - #689
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    If you really want the game to tell you your effective level, you can make that Menance your scrapbook status on your profile; the word description is still your base level but the number in the circle is your effective level. And the status will disappear entirely if your items bring the effective level to zero. (I just checked and it doesn't work for Nightmares for some reason. The circle disppears when you equip an item. I guess that's a bug. Scandal and Suspicion are fine though.)
    Thanks for the answer. Ugh - I guess I'm just the paranoid type, but I don't like the uncertainty of not knowing how close I am to getting a menace level increase. The scrapbook profile use would have been good to have (if clunky) and since I don't have any other menace reducing items at my lowly level - I'll just have to remember it for the future!

Thanks again!

30. - Top - End - #690
    Troll in the Playground

I just use the Shepard of Souls card to regularly bump all my menaces down to 0. Much easier than keeping track.

Mind you, I don't really get all that much menace these days. Seeking the Name is about the only source I regularly encounter.