New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Huzzah, I now have all the lodgings. The question is, what do I do next?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Question:

I have several story qualities in comparatively very high values, but I have no idea what they do/are for.

My Seeing through the Eyes of Icarus is 20
    My Touched by Fingerwork is 20
    My Approaching the Gates of the Garden is 25

I guess they have something to do with nightmares, but I can't figure out what these qualities indicate/mean/can be used for?

Thanks folks!

Funny, just after I posted this I got a card - The Seekers of the Garden that has story options for the Approaching the gates quality. So I guess someday it will open up those stories that I don't have access to for other reasons
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-05-08 at 12:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, so apparently I was wrong about getting Correspondence Plaques as a reward in the Foreign Office, or at least according to the wikia site none of the final options give Plaques as a reward.

So, is there anywhere that gives them as a reward and is repeatable? I really don't want to have to grind for even MORE freaking Primordial shrieks, turn them into Maniac Prayers and then turn THOSE into Plaques. I need 160 Plaques, and after that I"m done, I have all the maniac prayers necessary now.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, ignore previous post

On that note, I have my Zubmarine! MUAHAHHAA. The oceans shall be MINE! Woot!

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Well, ignore previous post

On that note, I have my Zubmarine! MUAHAHHAA. The oceans shall be MINE! Woot!
    What items did you need for it, incidentally? The wikis have three different prices listed for it and I'm thinking of getting one myself.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    What items did you need for it, incidentally? The wikis have three different prices listed for it and I'm thinking of getting one myself.
    30 Whirring Contraptions
    20 Strong Backed Labour
    7 Bejeweled Lens

Plus whatever else that was required leading up to it(I don't even remember now, that was so long ago).

FYI, I'll probably be setting off on a scientific journey here soon, so I won't be able to receive cats for a while, just putting that out there if you try to send me one and it says I'm beyond reach.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

I fully realize this is a double post, but I feel what just happened warrants it!

The Starveling Cat, The Starveling Cat, he jumped off my desk, and into my hat.

Proud owner of a Starveling Cat, Imposteur in Red is the donor I got it from :) WOOT!

Man, today could not BE a better day for me inside of Fallen London. I finally build my Zubmarine, and then get my Starveling Cat!

Edit: On another note, I would humbly request that all cats be passed onto Musashi(Imposteur in Red), I do believe he is next in line. After that, assuming no-one else at our level of the game needs one, we can start passing them to Ryenke :)
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-05-10 at 08:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh cool! I was just about to send a box to you Starwulf, but something told me to check here first!

Congrats on the Zub & Cat. Enjoy Both!!!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

Well, looks like I'm a lucky sender.
    As much as the possession of the Starveling Cat can be considered lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

Are you sure you are not a double agent working for Failbetter Games?
    Congratulations Starwulf, having a Boat opens up really awesome content. I don't think I should say good things about Cat, since she is only trouble after all, but enjoy it nevertheless.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Are you sure you are not a double agent working for Failbetter Games?
    Nah, just sold them my soul inadvertently. Completely different.
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I have apparently finished up the Affluent Photographer. For anyone that's interested, this was the reward:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I got something called the Anarchists Sable, a jacket that gives dreaded and shadowy +1.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I finished it for the other party. I got
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Neddy Suit +1 to Shadowy and Respectable.

I have started it again to get the reward you got to add to my growing clothes collection. Besides, your reward just sounds more enticing.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Musashi, I still can't get you added to my friends list on Echo Bazaar. I don't understand why not either, I "followed" you on twitter, and normally that's all that is required, but your name refuses to pop up. I've had a cat for quite a while that I wanted to send to you.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

Musashi, I still can't get you added to my friends list on Echo Bazaar. I don't understand why not either, I "followed" you on twitter, and normally that's all that is required, but your name refuses to pop up. I've had a cat for quite a while that I wanted to send to you.
    How weird, you're on my list (obviously). Inviting you now to my clique...

16. - Top - End - #796
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Some notes on my progress and delicious fun.

Shroom hopping races are quite fun. I'm glad I spent the fate to do this.

I just got to the University. I LOVE it there. Even more than the Flit. Shuttered Palace and Wolfstang docks feel meh by comparison to me. Forgotten Quarter was interesting, but not as fun as University and Flit.

ALSO - I'm currently working on other stats, but do have University nightmare cure and it gives me benefits I enjoy and builds Watchful 'passively'. So at the moment, I welcome sharing nightmare requests.
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-05-17 at 12:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I am absolutely loving Hunter Keep island! I get to get rid of my wounds, and my nightmares, for free! Hell, not even for free, I get REWARDED to lose them! I'm loving it!

On another note, how do I get access to the Iron Republic. Besides Polythreme Island, that's the only other island I can't get to that has opened up(and Polythreme is easy, just gotta get me a screaming map).

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

My Cat-in-the-box luck doesn't apply to me, or so it seems. I keep receiving spiders from you guys. SPIDERS. *cries*

19. - Top - End - #799
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm new too. Just derping my way throught the game.

Any early game advice?
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

20. - Top - End - #800
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some users on the forum are putting together a list of advice for new players. All the tips are quite good

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I am absolutely loving Hunter Keep island! I get to get rid of my wounds, and my nightmares, for free! Hell, not even for free, I get REWARDED to lose them! I'm loving it!

On another note, how do I get access to the Iron Republic. Besides Polythreme Island, that's the only other island I can't get to that has opened up(and Polythreme is easy, just gotta get me a screaming map).
    The Numismatrix arc. Grind yourself up three of Marks of Credit, then talk to the local gossip.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    The Numismatrix arc. Grind yourself up three of Marks of Credit, then talk to the local gossip.
    Ahh, k, gotcha :)

On another note, what is the "point" towards Hunters Keep? I mean, you get to build Dramatic Tension up to 2, buuuttt, nothing happens. I was kind of confused. I mean, yes it opened up a few different actions, but normally when you build up dramatic tension, you get a big payout, either in story, or in items, but this time, nadda. I cleared all 3 of the final options, and nothing. Kind of disappointed, I was hoping for an interesting finale to it all. I mean, still a good island, got rid of all my nightmares and wounds, which is a huge plus, but I'd still have liked an ending to the islands story or whatever.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Ahh, k, gotcha :)

On another note, what is the "point" towards Hunters Keep? I mean, you get to build Dramatic Tension up to 2, buuuttt, nothing happens. I was kind of confused. I mean, yes it opened up a few different actions, but normally when you build up dramatic tension, you get a big payout, either in story, or in items, but this time, nadda. I cleared all 3 of the final options, and nothing. Kind of disappointed, I was hoping for an interesting finale to it all. I mean, still a good island, got rid of all my nightmares and wounds, which is a huge plus, but I'd still have liked an ending to the islands story or whatever.
    Building Dramatic Tension allows you to access the well, and doing that (either the first time or the second time, I forget) gets a Stone Tentacle-Key, which is needed for most (all?) of the ambitions sooner or later. If you already have the key, I think you get a Searing Enigma.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-05-20 at 05:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Plath View Post
    I'm new too. Just derping my way throught the game.

Any early game advice?
    Hi, I hope you like the game as much as we seem to. I'm @Aryenke on twitter, if you follow me on twitter, I'll be available to exchange 'social actions' with you. That means you can invite me to play chess, have dinner, etc. (through your lodgings location) and then when I see the invite and accept, you get a little experience and a number of 2nd chance cards. Very useful in the early - mid stages of the game.

Also, the best thing I found was to ask questions here. I personally was quite confused in the beginning, and felt the official failbetter forums were confusing (usually assuming knowledge I didn't have to understand) and was thrilled that the helpful folks here were happy to help - and explain things more simply.

Best advice is to wade in and have fun, though!

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Building Dramatic Tension allows you to access the well, and doing that (either the first time or the second time, I forget) gets a Stone Tentacle-Key, which is needed for most (all?) of the ambitions sooner or later. If you already have the key, I think you get a Searing Enigma.
    ............................ Are you Effing kidding me? damnit, now I need to go back there so I can get that thing >< I did the well thing after I unlocked it with Dramatic Tension, but I never got any Key ><

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I have officially capped all of my stats. I would have been capped like a week or so ago, but once my ship was done, I went straight out onto the Unterzee and completed all the islands content(with the exceptions of the Iron Republic and Polythreme, which I'm working on opening up now). I have to say, I'm a bit happy and a bit disappointed. For some odd reason I thought I only needed 300 pages of each type of research in order to
    Spoiler
    Show
    be welcome at the University again
    . As it turns out though, it is 500 pages of each, so I guess I'll be going back out onto the Zee very soon. Though, after seeing all the incredible rewards for it, I think I'll be out there for a LOOOONNNGGG time grinding and grinding on those islands. I got me a voluminous library for 250 of each, and it appears I can get a ton of Collated research and some other stuff. I imagine I"ll spend a week or two out there, try to grind out 2k pages of each before I come back.

So, is the Numistarix(or however it's spelled) only an opportunity card? Because I really want to open up the Iron republic before I go back out as well, and I'm a bit confused as to how to do that without a good bit of luck with cards.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So, is the Numistarix(or however it's spelled) only an opportunity card? Because I really want to open up the Iron republic before I go back out as well, and I'm a bit confused as to how to do that without a good bit of luck with cards.
    I've read you can start it either with the Numismatrix opportunity card OR through your Local Gossip in the lodgings. You might see if it is there.

It's an odd one, three things are necessary - Spending Secrets has to get to 4 (through opportunity cards, I think) then you raise "Counting the Days" and "Loose Change" These can be raised through may op cards AND by using an option on your acquaintances.

Raising these qualities high enough enables you to get marks of credit which you need to get an Iron Republic safe passage.

It sounds more complicated explaining it, than doing it. Funny thing, I'm not someone of any importance, but I have more than enough marks now saved for when I can access this content.

BTW - they raised the cap on Dangerous and Watchful today - it is now 140.

Have fun!

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Not just the dangerous and watchful raise, but potentially an answer to one of the mysteries of Fallen London: Who, or what, is Jack of Smiles?

29. - Top - End - #809
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Milestone: Big Spender!

So, I bought a gaudy 12-carat diamond ring today. SO not my style. But I have to do something about my persuasive - and it seemed wasteful to buy mid-tier items if I'd eventually want/need the over the top expensive items. I'm hoping I don't regret it, but since I'm really not enjoying any of the persuasive content (nor did I in Veilgarden, except for the Melancholy curate story) I'm going to need all the persuasive boosting stats I can get.

Especially, as I'm holding off on doing much in Mahogany hall until I get persuasive up.

I'm kinda dreading the Court, as I don't like the idea of being stuck there (especially as the persuasive content is not to my taste) and not able to break it up by moving about London freely.

I absolutely love Watchful - the University content is a joy that I'm trying to ration while trying to pull up my persuasive. Shadowy is my next favourite, but I'm finding myself more engaged by Dangerous as well. I had to build up Dangerous pretty well, as I need it for my ambition. Once I hit the 90's in Dangerous, I began to get caught up in the story telling style on the Dangerous side.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, sharing good news. I now have a museum heist in progress. Somewhere different to grind persuasive!