New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

This looks interesting. Will "befriending", if you can do that, work cross-platform from facebook to twitter accounts?

I'll see if signing up will even work on my computer (It won't let me into facebook, or a ton of other sites right now), but given that I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say "70 shadowy" or "2.5 Echos", yet, I'm definitely going to have to see for myself. Maybe I can bug him for the laptop back....
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    I'm saving up 60,000 Whispered Secrets for one that unlocks with 70 Persuasive.
    Ahh, well that's more of 1 thing, but thankfully a bit cheaper since they only cost 2 pence to buy compared to the 4 pence for a honey. Still, that # is mind-boggling. I feel like a big-shot now because I can make like 4,200 Jades, or Glims, or something similar, in a day if I do nothing but the same challenge over and over(and it's straight-forward, which I think is auto-succeed), but man, that's nothing compared to what you guys must be bringing in!.

So, is everyone's stats well-rounded, or do you just focus on like, 2 or so, to the detriment of others? I was doing pretty good with that at first, but now my Watchful and Dangerous are leagues beyond my Shadowy and Persuasive(44 and 38 vs 16 and 15). When I do go to raise up my shadowy and persuasive though, I"ll have a ton of Confident Smiles and Hastily scrawled notes to stop me from failing challenges, due to a friend I got into the game going down the Persuasive/Shadowy route and he is always sending me invitations for Suppers and Loitering. I in return send him tons of invitations to spar and play chess, so he has a ton of those waiting around for when he starts raising up those attributes. ^^

Oh, another question: Does healing or poisoning a friend(for the dangerous activities with a friend) give more Hard-earned lessons, or anything at all different, then just sparring?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Don't believe the processing time. You'll get you fate, eventually. I got all of mine all at once about a week after I did everything. That 15-30 minutes time estimate is complete crap though.
    Huh, I didn't know that. Guess I'll have to hold onto those cards for quite a while then... Thanks for the info!
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Oh wow. That's insanity! Talk about pricey. Hmm, I didn't realize you could actually own more then one property! I'll have to start buying up those others that keep coming up :)
    Yep! If you want to change your lodgings, you can simply go to your profile, and click on the appropriate key that you own. It should have a yellow border around it, meaning you can interact with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    This looks interesting. Will "befriending", if you can do that, work cross-platform from facebook to twitter accounts?
    It does indeed. It'll list all of your Twitter followers who play EBZ, and/or all of your Facebook friends who play, depending on which accounts you've linked to the game.
    Ahh, well that's more of 1 thing, but thankfully a bit cheaper since they only cost 2 pence to buy compared to the 4 pence for a honey. Still, that # is mind-boggling. I feel like a big-shot now because I can make like 4,200 Jades, or Glims, or something similar, in a day if I do nothing but the same challenge over and over(and it's straight-forward, which I think is auto-succeed), but man, that's nothing compared to what you guys must be bringing in!.
    It definitely escalates, although...*runs the numbers* getting 4,200 Jade in a single day is quite good. That's 42 echoes, and to compare, I wind up taking an action that nets me a bit over 2,000 Primordial Shrieks per day, sellable for about the same amount. Granted, if I needed Shrieks, I'd be in a much stronger position than where you're at, but as you can see, you're actually making quite a good bit.

And the secret is a little at a time. If you did that much grinding, you could have enough to buy 40k Souls or Drops of Prisoner's Honey in a month and a half, if you felt inclined to do so.
    So, is everyone's stats well-rounded, or do you just focus on like, 2 or so, to the detriment of others? I was doing pretty good with that at first, but now my Watchful and Dangerous are leagues beyond my Shadowy and Persuasive(44 and 38 vs 16 and 15). When I do go to raise up my shadowy and persuasive though, I"ll have a ton of Confident Smiles and Hastily scrawled notes to stop me from failing challenges, due to a friend I got into the game going down the Persuasive/Shadowy route and he is always sending me invitations for Suppers and Loitering. I in return send him tons of invitations to spar and play chess, so he has a ton of those waiting around for when he starts raising up those attributes. ^^
    So far, I've been heavily focusing on Watchful and Dangerous, somewhat to the detriment of my others. Without my equipment bonuses, which are variable, I have Watchful 104, Shadowy 35, Dangerous 108, and Persuasive 54.

There is a storylet which relies on you having every quality at 100, so eventually you'll want to start boosting them all.
    Oh, another question: Does healing or poisoning a friend(for the dangerous activities with a friend) give more Hard-earned lessons, or anything at all different, then just sparring?
    I don't completely recall, but I don't think so. Healing a friend drops their Wounds level substantially, and poisoning them increases it.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2011-10-01 at 09:52 AM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

My Persuasive and Watchful are my highest qualities; I only work on my Shadowy and Dangerous when required for my ambition. So my Shadowy is actually somewhat close to my Watchful but it's not likely to progress much further.

Healing a friend also increases your Magnanimous. I'm not sure what poisoning does.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

My stats are very well rounded. Currently, all of them fall between 63 and 68 base, with usually close to +10 from equipment depending on what I'm set up for for at the moment. I initially focused on Persuasive, but it's ironically my lowest stat now, mostly due to the Shuttered Palace being less profitable than the Docks/Flit/Forgotten Quarter at the moment and my difficulty in finding good Persuasive equipment.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, My stats are 41 Dangerous(+6 in equip), 44 Watchful(+2 in equip), 16 Persuasive(+1), 16 Shadowy(+1). I haven't touched Persuasive or shadowy in a long time.

Had an awesome opportunity card last night, it advanced my "Mysterious benefactor" from 6 to 8, and upped 2 or 3 of my qualities, upped 4 different connections, and gave me 500 Rostygold! I was like "hell yeah!". How far does the Mysterious benefactor stuff go? It's by far the most interesting storylet I've come across thus far, I'm always looking forward to seeing another card pop up.

So, I didn't realize that any card highlighted in yellow in your inventory meant you could click on it. What does the Whispered Secrets/Cryptic Clues/Appalling Secrets do? I also have some bottle of wine, Greyfields 1868 first sporing, that's highlighted in yellow. I don't want to click on them and possibly waste something that's sellable, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what they do?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, My stats are 41 Dangerous(+6 in equip), 44 Watchful(+2 in equip), 16 Persuasive(+1), 16 Shadowy(+1). I haven't touched Persuasive or shadowy in a long time.

Had an awesome opportunity card last night, it advanced my "Mysterious benefactor" from 6 to 8, and upped 2 or 3 of my qualities, upped 4 different connections, and gave me 500 Rostygold! I was like "hell yeah!". How far does the Mysterious benefactor stuff go? It's by far the most interesting storylet I've come across thus far, I'm always looking forward to seeing another card pop up.

So, I didn't realize that any card highlighted in yellow in your inventory meant you could click on it. What does the Whispered Secrets/Cryptic Clues/Appalling Secrets do? I also have some bottle of wine, Greyfields 1868 first sporing, that's highlighted in yellow. I don't want to click on them and possibly waste something that's sellable, so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what they do?
    Whispered Secrets can be converted into a smaller number of Cryptic Clues, Cryptic Clues can be converted into a smaller number of Appalling Secrets. It's a better trade than selling Whispered Secrets to buy Clues would be, but worse if you just want to sell the Clues for money anyway. Appalling Secrets can be sacrificed in large numbers to reduce Nightmares, or turned into some kind of book item that I'm not sure of. Greyfields First Sporing can be drunk, reducing Nightmares by a fair bit.

9. - Top - End - #99

None of the inventory cards are autofire, so you can click on them to see what they do without wasting actions.

My stats are usually Persuasive 78+4, Watchful 58+3, Shadowy 49-2, and Dangerous 39-1, making me a "captiviating and insightful lady". I've noticed that the description changes with the level of your two highest stats.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    None of the inventory cards are autofire, so you can click on them to see what they do without wasting actions.

My stats are usually Persuasive 78+4, Watchful 58+3, Shadowy 49-2, and Dangerous 39-1, making me a "captiviating and insightful lady". I've noticed that the description changes with the level of your two highest stats.
    Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I'm a "Puissant and Observant Gentleman". It varies though according to what equipment I wear, since my dangerous equipment lowers my watchful by like 7.

So, I got the next Mysterious benefactor card: It's to reset it from the start(pay 8 fate), or to earn a hard-earned lesson(likely varies depending on what item you chose at the start), or 3 other options that require items that apparently can't be bought, and I don't have. Fierce Mint Humbugs, Mirror Polished shoes, Unobtrusive Bowling hat. I got the hard-earned lesson. I'm tempted to blow 8 fate to start it over again if it shows up again, but I'm just not sure :-(

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I'm a "Puissant and Observant Gentleman". It varies though according to what equipment I wear, since my dangerous equipment lowers my watchful by like 7.

So, I got the next Mysterious benefactor card: It's to reset it from the start(pay 8 fate), or to earn a hard-earned lesson(likely varies depending on what item you chose at the start), or 3 other options that require items that apparently can't be bought, and I don't have. Fierce Mint Humbugs, Mirror Polished shoes, Unobtrusive Bowling hat. I got the hard-earned lesson. I'm tempted to blow 8 fate to start it over again if it shows up again, but I'm just not sure :-(
    I personally wouldn't, since you have to give up your benefactor reward to start it over. Fierce Mint Humbugs/Mirror-Polished Shoes/Unobtrusive Bowling Hat are the other three benefactor rewards.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2011-10-01 at 05:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Once you get a stat above 100, it seems to add another adjective. At the moment, I am terrifying, lethal, inescapable, and sagacious. Sounds frightening. Which is why my profile quote is an edited (for length) quote from the 11th Doctor... "There's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, or plan about seeing tomorrow--and that's me."
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Finally got to another computer and signed up.... not many actions available at a time. Rather upsetting. Still, fun.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow. Finally got to another computer and signed up.... not many actions available at a time. Rather upsetting. Still, fun.
    Yeah, that was my biggest complaint as well. Hence why I spammed a ton of the free offers for Fate points. Once I got them about a week or so later, I bought my exceptional friend subscription, and voila! 20 Turns at a time, 80 turns per day(plus 20 for my refresh bonus).

edit: Btw, is there any particular way of lowering scandal beyond going to church? Mine is at 7, and one dance with a devil away from hitting 8, and it says bad things will happen if that occurs ><

Double Edit: Well, don't listen to the whole "Pretty good odds" thing when it comes to going to church to get rid of scandal. It worked once, then I failed 4 times in a row, and now i"m Exiled to the Tomb Colonies, with no idea how long it's going to take me to get the hell outta there, considering I have no particular way of getting my scandal to go down ><

Triple edit: Well, apparently, the opportunity cards deck while your exiled is centered around cards that reduce your scandal(and give you confident smiles and raise your persuasiveness as well), I'm already down to 5, and that was just with like 15 turns. My Confident smile count is sky-rocketing! 53 of those things! I should go do some persuasive high-risk challenges to jump it up quickly while still retaining a decent chance of getting rewards for it! Could probably take it to level 30 in no time flat.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-10-03 at 02:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that was my biggest complaint as well. Hence why I spammed a ton of the free offers for Fate points. Once I got them about a week or so later, I bought my exceptional friend subscription, and voila! 20 Turns at a time, 80 turns per day(plus 20 for my refresh bonus).
    It works best not as a main game, but as something to visit a few times a day, IMO.
    edit: Btw, is there any particular way of lowering scandal beyond going to church? Mine is at 7, and one dance with a devil away from hitting 8, and it says bad things will happen if that occurs ><

Double Edit: Well, don't listen to the whole "Pretty good odds" thing when it comes to going to church to get rid of scandal. It worked once, then I failed 4 times in a row, and now i"m Exiled to the Tomb Colonies, with no idea how long it's going to take me to get the hell outta there, considering I have no particular way of getting my scandal to go down ><

Triple edit: Well, apparently, the opportunity cards deck while your exiled is centered around cards that reduce your scandal(and give you confident smiles and raise your persuasiveness as well), I'm already down to 5, and that was just with like 15 turns. My Confident smile count is sky-rocketing! 53 of those things! I should go do some persuasive high-risk challenges to jump it up quickly while still retaining a decent chance of getting rewards for it! Could probably take it to level 30 in no time flat.
    When it gives you odds of luck, those are generally reliable, but it's a Gambler's Fallacy to assume that "Pretty good odds" doesn't mean you won't fail it a number of times in a row.

And yeah, some of the negative places can get you helpful stuff, though they do also interfere with your current goals. *thinks* You can take a social action to reduce Scandal, and I wanna say there's something you can buy to reduce Scandal...ah, never mind, that's the Instant Ablution Absolution, which decreases Suspicion.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

...and just like that, I've got my reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel! *cheers* 4 cards now! And another place to add to my prestigious collection of real estate.

Now, I'm off at the shroom races, collecting venom-rubies. I'll probably milk this location for all it's worth, as I spent 3 Fate on it, and it doesn't appear that the unlock will be permanent. And the rewards are pretty hefty so far...plus, with my Dangerous and Watchful so high, it's a cinch to win the race.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    ...and just like that, I've got my reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel! *cheers* 4 cards now! And another place to add to my prestigious collection of real estate.

Now, I'm off at the shroom races, collecting venom-rubies. I'll probably milk this location for all it's worth, as I spent 3 Fate on it, and it doesn't appear that the unlock will be permanent. And the rewards are pretty hefty so far...plus, with my Dangerous and Watchful so high, it's a cinch to win the race.
    Wow, I'm even more depressed now. I wasted 3 fate on that particular thing, and I couldn't do ANYTHING in there. Now I know why, if it's meant for someone with stats as high as yours ><

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I'm even more depressed now. I wasted 3 fate on that particular thing, and I couldn't do ANYTHING in there. Now I know why, if it's meant for someone with stats as high as yours ><
    Well, maybe not as high as mine, because all the challenges are straightforward (except Shadowy, which is at 35 or so) for me. So, probably 40-50 is the range you need to be for that.

Really, they ought to indicate that.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, maybe not as high as mine, because all the challenges are straightforward (except Shadowy, which is at 35 or so) for me. So, probably 40-50 is the range you need to be for that.

Really, they ought to indicate that.
    Yeah, would have been nice, I burned 3 fate when my highest qualities weren't even 35 yet, and persuasiveness and shadowy were in the low teens.

I'm currently raising shadowy and persuasiveness up to 30 right now though, but I might go up to 35-40 before I stop with them, just in case I see this card again. how much are the venom rubies worth?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, would have been nice, I burned 3 fate when my highest qualities weren't even 35 yet, and persuasiveness and shadowy were in the low teens.

I'm currently raising shadowy and persuasiveness up to 30 right now though, but I might go up to 35-40 before I stop with them, just in case I see this card again. how much are the venom rubies worth?
    Venom Rubies are most useful for at least one Opportunity card in the Lapidary storyline that needs them. They may be used for other cards, I'm sure.

Fortunately, you can keep running shroom races until you get as many as you want...winning the race also rewards you handsomely for a number of different items (Glim, Moon-Pearls, Jade, Rostygold, and probably more).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Venom Rubies are most useful for at least one Opportunity card in the Lapidary storyline that needs them. They may be used for other cards, I'm sure.

Fortunately, you can keep running shroom races until you get as many as you want...winning the race also rewards you handsomely for a number of different items (Glim, Moon-Pearls, Jade, Rostygold, and probably more).
    speaking of the devil, I just got that card ^^

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

How am I supposed to get Connected: Criminals, or Connected: The Great Game?

For the record, I have W/S/D/P 12/12+1/2/17, really small numbers , and have just two cards at a time. And both of the two cards I have require one of those connections.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

If the cards in question are what I think they are, just ignore them. They're not particularly useful.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

How am I supposed to get Connected: Criminals, or Connected: The Great Game?

For the record, I have W/S/D/P 12/12+1/2/17, really small numbers , and have just two cards at a time. And both of the two cards I have require one of those connections.
    At your level, discard one of them, and wait for it to come back around. Connected: The Great Game increases via an opportunity card (A Parliament of Bats), I know that much, and Connected: Criminals increases via opportunity cards. There may be locations with actions that increase Connected: Criminals, likely in Spite, but I don't remember.

25. - Top - End - #115

Yeah, don't worry about discarding cards you can't use. They alway come around again.

And I'm pretty sure that the connection-raising storylets at your level are opportunity cards, so you'd have to discard your current ones to get them anyways.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks. Discarded both, got one that gave me Connected: Orphans.

I painted them a picture, got a whole bunch of secrets.

I like being persuasive focused.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

At your level, discard one of them, and wait for it to come back around. Connected: The Great Game increases via an opportunity card (A Parliament of Bats), I know that much, and Connected: Criminals increases via opportunity cards. There may be locations with actions that increase Connected: Criminals, likely in Spite, but I don't remember.
    There are some watchful Challenges i do believe that raise The Great game connections, and yeah, Spite has some Connected Criminals, I'm doing one right now, level 29 shadowy required, it's me casing a jewelry store, and it gives criminal connections. And yeah, I'd say, don't bother with the cards that REQUIRE connections, they are just to raise your qualities, and it's a waste to use them early on, when it only requires a few challenges to raise them, I'd wait until a minimum of 60 probably(advice I wish I had thought of for myself), when it will take a minimum of 15 turns(High-Risk challenges give 4 points if succeeded, 3 if failed), and likely 20. The higher your qualities, the more useful those cards become.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, good point. It's true, most of those sacrifice your Connected quality to raise a stat.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, good point. It's true, most of those sacrifice your Connected quality to raise a stat.
    And they tend to sacrifice a lot of Connected for a relatively minor amount of stat increases. Connected qualities are better off saved up for the occasional storylet or opportunity that requires them, or cashed in at the Forgotten Quarter/Flit/Wolfstack Docks/Shuttered Palace.

I generally trade in favors for items (it's a lot of points from your quality, but usually 140-280 of a specific item) when I break 30 or so in a Connected quality, like when shadowy storylets were dumping Connected: The Orient on me like it was going out of style.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2011-10-06 at 05:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

The higher your qualities, the more useful those cards become.
    Is this true? I thought it'd give a flat amount of change points rather than be dependent on your level. Never really checked, though.

Btw, I'm FelicityChase on Twitter if anyone wants more delicious friends.