New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Carpe, what's the twitter follow I can use?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    It just so happens that I work on Echo Bazaar, so I had a quick look at this for you. Are you doing the Bag a Legend ambition? If so, I think you might have misread the last step - it says you can buy a bottle in Veilgarden, so just head over that way.

(If you ever get stuck on your ambition you can go into the 'Me' tab, open the 'Ambition' heading under your qualities and reminisce about your progress - this lets you reread all your ambition story so far, so it's a good way to check what you should be doing next.)

When I played the battle of Wolfstack Docks it all went a bit wrong - I sided with the strikers all the way through then at the end clicked the wrong button and betrayed the to the Masters. Er. Oops.

Glad you're enjoying the game! It's a blast to work on.
    :) Thank you! I definitely mis-read then, I'll swing by Veilgarden once some of my actions restore and grab a bottle :)

Also, WOW! Go Go Developers frequenting other forums! That's pretty awesome, and all I can say is: Thank you for such an awesome game. I've had a blast with it shortly after this thread was started and my interest was sparked ^^ Oh, and Ouch on the mis-click at the battle. I had been considering betraying, and then was like "Naaahhh"

Edit: Oooh, Oooh, OOOOHH! For Eyes whom have reached Dangerous 73 and above
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Spider-Council!!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I can go any further, it want's to know if I know about the Correspondence, and I haven't reached that title yet(A Scholar of Correspondence), and I don't want to kill this thing, seems like it could be quite an interesting storylet if I let it play out!
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-11-11 at 04:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmmm, I want to start an ambition, but I can't decide between the Nemesis and Heart's Desire ones...
    Oh, and nice to see a dev here, Starwulf! The game is certainly enthralling in its way. I found it through Extra Credits.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Edit: Oooh, Oooh, OOOOHH! For Eyes whom have reached Dangerous 73 and above
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Spider-Council!!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I can go any further, it want's to know if I know about the Correspondence, and I haven't reached that title yet(A Scholar of Correspondence), and I don't want to kill this thing, seems like it could be quite an interesting storylet if I let it play out!
    Ahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha... Oh god, too funny. You'll get the joke, eventually.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Ahahahaha. Hahaha. Ha... Oh god, too funny. You'll get the joke, eventually.
    Lol! I have this sneaky suspicion now, that I'll get it by pretending to know what it is with the spider. Or something like that. LOL. Only one way to find out I guess :)

Edit: Well, that didn't work ^^ LOL. What I"m reaaaaally confused about now, is why in the hell I ended up in the place you go when your wounds hit 8, when my wounds only now just hit 6 because of the bites and poison I suffered from lying to that abomination ><.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-11-11 at 09:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Carpe, what's the twitter follow I can use?
    playersideblog
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Edit: Well, that didn't work ^^ LOL. What I"m reaaaaally confused about now, is why in the hell I ended up in the place you go when your wounds hit 8, when my wounds only now just hit 6 because of the bites and poison I suffered from lying to that abomination ><.
    Some things just send you straight there, regardless of your Wounds, I think.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Some things just send you straight there, regardless of your Wounds, I think.
    Ahh, well, that does suck, going to be a decent waste of turns getting back out of there again. le'Sigh! Ahh well, I guess I"ll just raise my Dangerous up a few more levels and beat the crap outta that thing instead of trying to lie to it ^^

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    playersideblog
    Ah, that explains it. I assumed that was something one did, not your tag.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there any use for London Street Signs besides unlocking the Forgotten Quarter? I traded some Society connections for four of them and now I'm not sure what to do with them.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    Is there any use for London Street Signs besides unlocking the Forgotten Quarter? I traded some Society connections for four of them and now I'm not sure what to do with them.
    They sell for a fair chunk of cash each, don't think they do anything else.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, for those of you with a High-Dangerous(73+), have you
    Spoiler
    Show
    done any of the Black-ribbon Duelist fights in the Docks? I ask, because I'm raising my running battle for one, and I'd like to stop at Modest chance, even if it means I die and have to lower my wounds back down to 0 again, but the way this stuff was worded, it sounds like it's a Permanent Death, which would imply If I lose, all my hard-work is gone in the game and I have to start over?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, for those of you with a High-Dangerous(73+), have you
    Spoiler
    Show
    done any of the Black-ribbon Duelist fights in the Docks? I ask, because I'm raising my running battle for one, and I'd like to stop at Modest chance, even if it means I die and have to lower my wounds back down to 0 again, but the way this stuff was worded, it sounds like it's a Permanent Death, which would imply If I lose, all my hard-work is gone in the game and I have to start over?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I made sure to be safe, but when I failed one of those, I got an out. So I'm not sure...because it does sound like a permadeath. I'd build Running Battle just to be safe, anyway. It builds your Dangerous quality.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends on the fight. Worst-case scenario you just end up on the boat, which you can get off as normal, but some of the losses actually end with you getting embarrassed but not killed through some stroke of luck.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

MUAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have killed my first spider council! I now have "Arachnologist 2" Pretty hyped about that, since it leads me to believe I may get to fight more eventually :) I am mad about one thing though. I went to try my first duel, and LOST with my modifier at low-risk >< was kinda irked about that, I seem to have better luck with modest then I do low-risk. I've failed more Low-risk challenges(with second chances) then I have modest with second chance.
    Up to Dangerous 77 now(66+11), figure I'll stop at 69+11 for a flat 80, then go back to Watchful for a bit, then take them both to a base of 75, then I'm going to hit up shadowy and persuasive for a while again.

Looking forward to seeing the next card(assuming there is one) that gives a reward(more or less) for having all Attributes over a certain level. Probably either 60 or 75.(you know, like how you get that "You're in a pub, blah blah" for having all 4 over 30)

Edit: Woot! I also just won my first Black Ribbon Duel! A purse of 832 Rostygold was my reward. Huzzah!
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-11-15 at 06:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigh, I'm stuck raising Dangerous a bit longer then I had anticipated, I got an interesting looking yellow/gold Storylet card about Zailing the Seas. It's base Dangerous needed to get it was 69, with all my equipment I"m at 83 now, and it's still a High-Risk challenge, I want to get it down to modest so even if I fail it this time, if I get it again I can try again and know I have a fairly moderate chance of success.

So, I'm pretty sure I asked this once before, but only got a few responses: Is there any benefit to restarting the Mysterious Benefactor quest? Does anything change in it beyond a few basics depending on what item you choose? Can you perhaps alter the ending so
    Spoiler
    Show
    he doesn't end up in the Tomb-Colonies?
    . It was a good storylet, and I"m tempted to blow 8 Fate on it to restart it, but only if there is a significant change to the story/outcome of it. Not worth burning 8 fate just for a single item.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Sigh, I'm stuck raising Dangerous a bit longer then I had anticipated, I got an interesting looking yellow/gold Storylet card about Zailing the Seas. It's base Dangerous needed to get it was 69, with all my equipment I"m at 83 now, and it's still a High-Risk challenge, I want to get it down to modest so even if I fail it this time, if I get it again I can try again and know I have a fairly moderate chance of success.

So, I'm pretty sure I asked this once before, but only got a few responses: Is there any benefit to restarting the Mysterious Benefactor quest? Does anything change in it beyond a few basics depending on what item you choose? Can you perhaps alter the ending so
    Spoiler
    Show
    he doesn't end up in the Tomb-Colonies?
    . It was a good storylet, and I"m tempted to blow 8 Fate on it to restart it, but only if there is a significant change to the story/outcome of it. Not worth burning 8 fate just for a single item.
    There are four endings, I believe, one for each major Quality.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    There are four endings, I believe, one for each major Quality.
    Hmm, I wonder if you get a special ending if you do all 4 of them all the way through ^^

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, I wonder if you get a special ending if you do all 4 of them all the way through ^^
    Hmm. I doubt it. That'd be a lot of Fate to blow, too.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Did anyone else find grinding Dangerous up to be rather tedious after the first few Black Ribbon duels? I beat Fedduci twice already, Chi Lan once in the normal way and once in the easy way, and Vendrick or whatever his name is, and now I'm spamming straightforward challenges in Watchmaker's Hill because I still need to raise Dangerous several points to get into Labyrinth range or become a Person of Some Importance.

Hmm. Maybe it's because I tended to start a battle, then frolic around the University or something hitting all the Running Battle opportunity cards that come up until the task was more manageable rather than straight-up grinding the storylets for each battle.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2011-11-18 at 05:08 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Halfling in the Playground

No, not currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Did anyone else find grinding Dangerous up to be rather tedious after the first few Black Ribbon duels?
    Can I ask what level Dangerous you're at, as a matter of interest? It's useful for us to know which bits might need some attention - because Echo Bazaar's a living game we're always implementing new approaches and while we've revisited some earlier sections, others have hardly been touched since they went in.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

No, not currently.

Can I ask what level Dangerous you're at, as a matter of interest? It's useful for us to know which bits might need some attention - because Echo Bazaar's a living game we're always implementing new approaches and while we've revisited some earlier sections, others have hardly been touched since they went in.
    A: I like the "Not Currently". It means that you're either considering it, or are willing to consider it, and I'd like to personally suggest it! Yes, it is a major expense in fate, but it's you're beginning storyline, and having a unique ending for completing it through all 4 branches would be pretty awesome.

B: I'm currently at 72+11 myself, and am actually getting a bit tired of grinding on the Black-Ribbon as wekk. It's interesting, but I'd like to have a few challenges that DON'T interact with the Black Ribbon stuff, and just gives normal rewards. I'm starting to run a bit low on funds, constantly healing myself, either by buying Potions of Vigor, or using their surgeon, and I would love a chance to still raise my Dangerous, while making money every turn, instead of every 30 or so after I've built up sufficient Running Battle ^^
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2011-11-18 at 04:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

A bit where I found a lack of content was in the Watchful route when you've just finished everything that Ladybones Road has to offer, but aren't quite ready for the Forgotten Quarter yet. Not nearly that bad, what with only taking a little bit of grinding to get past, but it was somewhat annoying and could probably do with another card or so.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah...I think that I got high enough for the Labyrinth by buying Dangerous-boosting equipment, although my Ambition also helped me get to some of the higher levels of that stat. Agreed on the Watchful stuff, too.

Persuasive, however, did an excellent job of transitioning from Veilgarden to the Shuttered Palace.

25. - Top - End - #235

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone - that's really useful.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Just got into the university recently. Very fun.

In particular, the presence of a way to lower my nightmares without resorting to Laudanum is very helpful.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Just got into the university recently. Very fun.

In particular, the presence of a way to lower my nightmares without resorting to Laudanum is very helpful.
    I know, right? It's a lovely reward for making it through the Forgotten Quarter.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Since we get a dev in, let me chime in.
    I didn't play for the last 3 or 4 months, but not because of how bad it is (because it is actually the bestest .D), but due to all summer/college terms/moving out.
    But, I had all stats maxed out, done most of the storylets (free ones at least, and quite a couple of Fate ones). I dropped out halfway through Person of Some Importance storylets (which the best thing in Echo Bazaar, in my opinion, so much great stuff).
    So for all you just getting started/playing for not a long time, let me tell you, it only gets better and better. Devs are wonderful, story is supreme, way of communicating it is the best I ever saw (read?), and the whole package is so good that it's hard to believe it actually.
    Also, if you have any literary aspirations, it will help you greatly (and go read their blog, it's great. Whole way of thinking in storylets and snippets of tales is a great intro of what a good literature is made of.
    I got a bit carried away, but like I said, this thing is a masterpiece, so it's not like it isn't worth it .D
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

29. - Top - End - #239

Bodez: I think you might be my favourite person ever.

Now excuse me, I have to go and explain that to my wife.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Bodez: I think you might be my favourite person ever.

Now excuse me, I have to go and explain that to my wife.
    Just explain to her that manly love is different then marriage .D
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3