New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #241
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Just explain to her that manly love is different then marriage .D
    "I don't know why you're so angry, darling. It's not like it's another woman."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    "I don't know why you're so angry, darling. It's not like it's another woman."
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

3. - Top - End - #243

OK, so let me add my 2 cents here - I agree that this game is a wonderful blend of storytelling, flavor, and fun. I very much enjoy playing it, though I have a couple of beefs.

I get the reasoning behind limiting the number of turns per day. That's a non-issue. But there are two aspects of that that are quite annoying -

1) My turn refresh occurs at the time of day that I first logged in this character to EB. At least, that's how it seems - both characters I've played with have been created late afternoon in the US, and that's when they refresh. Most games refresh at some central server time, generally at midnight. Now since this is hosted in London, it's possible that the central server refresh time ends up at late afternoon US time, which is fine if that's what is going on. A little annoying, but certainly understandable. But if my character creation time determines my refresh time? That's kinda dumb and needs to change.

2) Limiting my actions to 10 at a time means I have to be able to return multiple times during the day rather than being able to play more at my personal schedule. If I have time to check in 2x/day, then I can burn 10 actions then and 30 later, or 20/20, or 5/35, or whatever combination is good. But restricting the number of turns/day AND putting those turns on a timer that maxes out at 10? I mean, pick one or the other, but both together really limits the amount of time and energy I'm going to put in. If it were a lesser game, I would have quit playing in the first couple of days, but since EB is so insanely cool, I keep coming back and thoroughly enjoying my 10 turns at a time, all while wishing that one of the two timers would go away. I mean, I guess there might be a good reason for it, but since every other turn based game picks either unlimited turns/day with a timer refreshing them, or limited turns/day that you can use whenever, I have a hard time figuring out what that good reason might be that no other game struggles with.

Anyhow, there's my feedback for what it's worth. :) Keep up the good work, I just love the storytelling style, which is why I keep coming back!
    Forgiving others is all well and fine, but it is a subtle arrogance and accusation to claim that someone needs MY forgiveness, when perhaps it is the other way around.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone know the best way to rack up large quantities of Prisoner's Honey? Only I have a couple of cards waiting that both require a lot of it.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-12-01 at 12:22 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Anyone know the best way to rack up large quantities of Prisoner's Honey? Only I have a couple of cards waiting that both require a lot of it.
    Depends how far are you in game. Also, what amount do you actually need?
    ---

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Depends how far are you in game. Also, what amount do you actually need?
    I'm at about 95 Watchful and 55 Dangerous. Thinking of saving for the reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel, plus another card that needs about 5000 of it.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-12-02 at 07:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247

VarenTai:

Quote Originally Posted by VarenTai View Post
    Now since this is hosted in London, it's possible that the central server refresh time ends up at late afternoon US time, which is fine if that's what is going on. A little annoying, but certainly understandable. But if my character creation time determines my refresh time? That's kinda dumb and needs to change.
    Nope - nothing to do with character creation. We're a UK-based company, so the daily action refresh runs on UK time.

But restricting the number of turns/day AND putting those turns on a timer that maxes out at 10? I mean, pick one or the other, but both together really limits the amount of time and energy I'm going to put in. If it were a lesser game, I would have quit playing in the first couple of days, but since EB is so insanely cool, I keep coming back and thoroughly enjoying my 10 turns at a time, all while wishing that one of the two timers would go away.
    I'm very happy to answer questions about EB, but I'm also mindful of the forum rooms on advertising. So I'll just say vaguely that there are Fate-based ways to relax or circumvent the action limits if they're really annoying you, and then I'll talk a bit about our reasoning on action limits:

EB works basically the same as other 'Energy'-based social games (like Ravenwood Faire and the deeply excellent D&D: Heroes of Neverwinter, which I'm currently obsessed with), where your max energy sets how much you can play per session and the energy regeneration rate effectively limits how much you can play each day.

The session and daily limits are there:
    1. to stop the servers from melting
    2. because we can't write faster than people can read, so we don't want people to just blast through all the story available and then not come back
    3. because we genuinely want to encourage sporadic, bite-size play - that's how we pace our stories and world. Developing a character over a period of months and having mysteries unfold gradually is interesting to us.

Anyhow, there's my feedback for what it's worth. :) Keep up the good work, I just love the storytelling style, which is why I keep coming back!
    Glad you're enjoying it. Threads like this one are a huge encouragement to us. EB is an unusual beastie, so it's always great to find people who get it.
    Last edited by Chris Gardiner; 2011-12-02 at 10:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gardiner View Post
    EB works basically the same as other 'Energy'-based social games (like Ravenwood Faire and the deeply excellent D&D: Heroes of Neverwinter, which I'm currently obsessed with)
    Seriously! I'm quite enjoying HoN so far.

Glad you're enjoying it. Threads like this one are a huge encouragement to us. EB is an unusual beastie, so it's always great to find people who get it.
    I appreciate the explanation. It really is a testament to how fun EB is that I keep coming back despite those irritations. Like I said, I would have abandoned a lesser game long ago.
    Forgiving others is all well and fine, but it is a subtle arrogance and accusation to claim that someone needs MY forgiveness, when perhaps it is the other way around.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

I'm at about 95 Watchful and 55 Dangerous. Thinking of saving for the reservation at the Royal Bethlehem Hotel, plus another card that needs about 5000 of it.
    There is not much you can do there to farm quickly, but there are some dangerous cards that revolve around Eater of Chains, and they rack up some honey if I recall correctly (that was like, year and a half ago for me, so my memory is really vague about that )
    ---

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now that I've played for a while, I've grown to actually appreciate the limitations. If I had an unlimited number of actions, gameplay would just be clicking on every single storylet ad nauseum and the occasional card when those come in. Instead, each action is valuable and I have to think about what I want to spend it on.

On the other hand, I didn't like the Night Circus very much >.> No immersion at all, for me. I was clicking on cards and not even bothering to read them after a while, because there was no risk and I knew what they said already.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh, something's messed up with the site right now? Doesn't seem to be letting me on.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Huh, something's messed up with the site right now? Doesn't seem to be letting me on.
    Yeah, something went wrong yesterday. All better now.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

So, quick update: I have officially saved up enough for my Patent Scrutinizer Deluxe, officially my biggest purchase ever I do believe(320 Echoes, previous was 180 Echoes for a hat that gave +4 watchfuL), and now, JUST before I buy it(haven't clicked it yet), I LITERALLY(this post was going in a different direction before this), I realized that I didn't need the DELUXE model, and the regular Patent Scrutinizer is only 28 echoes >< I want to kick myself in the head right about now. LOL. Oh well, I guess I have 300 additional echoes to work with for other stuff now.

On another note, I'm done with Watchful and Dangerous for the time being. Watchful is 76+7, Dangerous is 75+12. Now working on shadowy and Persuasive, shadowy atm, it's up to 65+3. Once it hits 75 it's off to Persuasive! I'm LOVING The all the storylets I've been unlocking. Actually wishing I had 1 more fate, I got this yellow storylet about a painting, and to advance it, I needed 19 fate(have 18). I had to just sell the painting(made 3 echoes out of it), but it would have been nice to unlock that storylet.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

I've just about gotten Shadowy up to 130. With Persuasive and Dangerous also at 130 all I have to do now is get Watchful up another 8 points and I'll have all my stats at max.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm getting close to being a Person of Some Importance, woo! Got past the "all stats to 100" (with heavy use of equipment), now I'm just waiting on more of those opportunity cards. Man, I'm addicted to equipment... I'm pretty close to having the best equips possible for each stat. Next on the list is the Master Thief's Hands.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

I've got to say, the early part of Wolfstack docks felt a lot less involving than the equivalent parts of the Forgotten Quarter.

The later parts are good though.

Also, is it wrong that I intentionally got myself sent to a certain boat in order to play chess with the boatman?
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-12-13 at 02:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

Also, is it wrong that I intentionally got myself sent to a certain boat in order to play chess with the boatman?
    We don't judge.

But we are a little bit scared.

18. - Top - End - #258

BlackDragon

I agree that the black ribbon, despite the awesomeness of killing people, got very tedious after a while, mostly due to the fact that it took a while to get a reward, you could lose a dozen actions due solely to chance at the end and it doesnt really end. Also, I felt embarassed every time I lost to the rake.
    Still, really awesome game.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello fellow bazaar..ers? Bazaarites? Bazaaros! Who has Twitter out there? I need Hard Earned Lessons! Please help
    Majestic avatar by the wonderful yldenfrei
    I have one , which is good, because I like him.
    Won't you join me in Fallen London?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leeham View Post
    Hello fellow bazaar..ers? Bazaarites? Bazaaros! Who has Twitter out there? I need Hard Earned Lessons! Please help
    I'm always up for social actions. Twitter is Eurus500.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Same here, I'm always up for social stuff. My twitter is ThomasChandler1, feel free to pass on any boxed cats or what have you.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-12-14 at 02:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone know of a simple way to farm Infernal Contracts? Robbing the Brass Embassy gives a nice haul of them, but it's not exactly easy.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm open to any interactions. twitter Luzahn122

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone know of a simple way to farm Infernal Contracts? Robbing the Brass Embassy gives a nice haul of them, but it's not exactly easy.
    There's an action in Watchmaker's Hill after you become a Person of Some Importance that gets you 5 of them. I'd say that probably works.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

There's an action in Watchmaker's Hill after you become a Person of Some Importance that gets you 5 of them. I'd say that probably works.
    Hm. Unfortunately, I need a Legal Document to get a velocipede and become a Person of Some Importance, which requires contracts.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. Unfortunately, I need a Legal Document to get a velocipede and become a Person of Some Importance, which requires contracts.
    Hmm, well, I wasn't going to mention this earlier, but if 5 Contracts is considered a pretty decent farming method for them, then, there is a way to get 2 contracts and 1 proscribed material, which isn't great but not awful, and it doesn't require anything but a suspicion over 1. Go to Spite, find a way to lower your shadowy down into the 41-55 range, and there is an action you can take that lowers your suspicion by blackmailing a detective on your trail, who will then give you 2 contracts and the 1 proscribed material EVERY time. Really, all you need is(likely) a bit of money to buy a ridiculous hat and some other items like that. I can lower my shadowy by like 25 with just the items I have on me naturally(along with that hat).

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Hmm, well, I wasn't going to mention this earlier, but if 5 Contracts is considered a pretty decent farming method for them, then, there is a way to get 2 contracts and 1 proscribed material, which isn't great but not awful, and it doesn't require anything but a suspicion over 1. Go to Spite, find a way to lower your shadowy down into the 41-55 range, and there is an action you can take that lowers your suspicion by blackmailing a detective on your trail, who will then give you 2 contracts and the 1 proscribed material EVERY time. Really, all you need is(likely) a bit of money to buy a ridiculous hat and some other items like that. I can lower my shadowy by like 25 with just the items I have on me naturally(along with that hat).
    Hm, not bad. I might do that, thanks.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

So, wow...I was just sitting here, raising my casing quality for a job for the Topsy King, when my shadowy hit 70+3. I happened to click out of the action I was repeating, and HOLY CRAP, a TON of different actions opened up at 73 involving casing. Does anyone know if performing them LOWERS your casing ability, or do they just require you to have a casing quality to open up? I'd love to experiment and check them all out, but not at the cost of my casing quality right now, trying to do the harder path for storylet I'm raising it for.

So far, on the pursuit of taking all qualities to a base 75, I'd have to say that I have enjoyed the Watchful storylines the most thus far. Dangerous was ok, though perhaps a bit slow at times, and shadowy has been fairly interesting with the introduction of the Topsy King, especially now that I've had reached 73 Shadowy and have my casing quality up, I was completely floored with all that opened up. Looking forward to see what persuasive throws at me. Also hoping I keep getting running battle opportunity cards, trying to build that up as high as I can so I can try to take on the main guy for the Black Ribbons.

Oh, also: Most profitable! Shadowy by far. Once you have it up to where I do, if you get the opportunity card that lets you "visit the flit" or "Unlock access to it with fate", it also has a "Find a sign in the flit" and that damn thing is worth 2 1/2 echoes! Nothing else I've unlocked so far is nearly as profitable for one single action.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you're talking about the robbery actions? Things like "Steal from the Ministry of Public Decency", "Rob the Chambers of the Duchess", and the like? Doing any of those will eliminate your Casing quality, but they can be pretty profitable. Stealing from the Bazaar or the Brass Embassy will also give you the achievement "Master Thief."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you're talking about the robbery actions? Things like "Steal from the Ministry of Public Decency", "Rob the Chambers of the Duchess", and the like? Doing any of those will eliminate your Casing quality, but they can be pretty profitable. Stealing from the Bazaar or the Brass Embassy will also give you the achievement "Master Thief."
    Hmmm, not sure if I've unlocked stuff like that, but yeah, those kinds of actions. That sucks, but it's ok, because apparently one of the actions I opened up allows me to raise my casing quality(much like when you hit a certain level of dangerous in the docks you open up the ability to raise your running battle for those duels). I ended up scoring 8 Sulky bats from the Topsy King, which is pretty nuts ^^.

So, I have about 325-350 Echoes saved up(well, in items anyways). Any suggestions on something cool to buy? LOL. I'm primarily a Dangerous/watchful person, BUT I am trying to keep them all even, and Dangerous equipment is already +12, watchful is +9. Shadowy is only +3 and Persuasive is +5. I feel like such a miser, I have all this loot stored up and just don't want to spend it in case I need it or something, LOL.