New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 18: Peek-a-boo style PAWNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Hmmm... at the moment, I'm not using Japanese honorifics for my characters, but I'm thinking of changing it.

Just not sure on one thing... is -kun an appropriate honorific for male, teenage friends? Or not?
    Wiki knows all.

Examples:

Sora would call Kaito Kaito-san, because they're not very good friends yet. He would be Kaito-kun once Sora and Kaito bond over JUSTICE.

Sora would refer to Izumi as simply Izumi, because they're childhood friends.

Sora would refer to Nakahiro as Nakahiro-san, because he hasn't spoken to him often enough.

Basic rundown:

-kun: Younger dudes, what teachers call basically every student, close male friends of females, close friends.

-san: Generic, overall honorific.

-chan: Diminutive. Young girls. Means you find the person endearing, whatever the hell that means. I guess it means you think of them as adorable? Which is why Sora called Kina Kina-chan rather mockingly, when she asks him to stop calling her Kina-san.

-sama: way up there. Probably like the principal might be Lucaster-sama, depending on what you're trying to get from her.

-sempai/kohai: Older students/colleagues. Sora would refer to a Senior at Phoenix High as [name]-sempai.

-sensei: Teacher.

-shi: fancy shmancy formal speak. Rarely used, apart from say, meeting a famous author. Sora would refer to Tite Kubo as Kubo-shi, or Kubo-dono.

yay explanations

does not speak a word of Japanese, and is godawful at spanish
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

What should I use for English Language?

I try to use "Mr." and "Ms." very much.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2011-09-21 at 05:55 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post

Thinking about how to answer this actually made me realise how complex the whole thing can be.

Okay. Here's a summary:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Mr." and "Ms." are good starting points, but keep in mind that they're never used with given names alone.

"Ms." is actually a pretty recent term. It'll do in most situations, but it'll sound weird if you use it to refer to a teenager or younger girl. Use "Miss" instead in that case. Technically, "Miss" is used to refer to an unmarried female and "Mrs." is used to refer to a married female. "Mr." is used to refer to any type of male.

These will do in most cases. There are several exceptions, but only one will come up with any sort of regularity: "Dr." is used to refer to someone with a Doctorate.

Now, as to when you should use these: the best guideline I can give is to use last name and one of these prefixes when you'd refer to someone as -sensei or -sama in Japanese, and some cases of -san (I don't know if all cases, since -san is pretty generic).

In conversation, there's a good rule of thumb to use: in most cases, it's actually pretty safe to refer to someone in the way that they introduced themselves to you.

If anyone wants to make improvements on my 'quick guideline', feel free. I get the impression it could definitely be improved.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

Honorifics are a very hierarchy-based form of treatment.

I think everyone knows when to use -san, really.

-kun is actually used to refer to subordinates and the like regardless of gender in a military structure, though it's more commonly used towards males than females. (Example: Taiki might refer to Taro or Aya as Taro-kun or Aya-kun). It's also used towards male friends (past a certain age, i.e. not children anymore). The military use is more common among people of closer patents, implying a connection of amicability between the two, otherwise the patent is typically applied instead (such as -shouri for Ensign or -gunsou for sargeant, for example).

-sama implies not only that you recognize the person as your superior but that you implicitly follow said person's orders. The teachers would never call Renee -sama because, frankly, it would be weird. But if Nakahiro had a girl fanclub, for example, it wouldn't be that odd if they called him Nakahiro-sama. -sama is pretty much a form of idolization.

-sensei is actually not limited to teachers. You use it also to refer to doctors and writers.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    -sensei is actually not limited to teachers. You use it also to refer to doctors and writers.
    Let's not forget those martial arts master hermiting themselves away on a mountain.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Orc in the Playground

Those are technically teachers as well.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post

From personal experience I believe sir is more likely to be used than mister by young people like Sayaka. Mr. is usually used by teachers when referring to students when they want to make them feel like they're being treated as equals/adults or being held to adult standards. A cop is likely to call a young person mister to sound professional and indifferent to how old someone is to show he treats all people equally seriously while a young person would likely refer to one as sir. Business people are likely to call customers mister like police officers to show they take all people seriously. The one time I see young people really preferring mister over sir is if a girl is bringing her boyfriend over to meet her father. Naturally there's a good chance the guy would want to add extra formality to show respect. He'd also likely use sir afterwards to refer to him. I think a lot of young people shy away from the word mister because they feel a user of it should be older.
    I'd like to add that I believe it can be used to refer to anyone who is an expert in some field of study, especially when someone is seeking advice from an expert/asking for an expert opinion.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-21 at 10:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

In other words, Mr./Mrs./Miss is used to imply a level of respect and potentially professionalism towards someone. It doesn't have the same conotation as -san.

I'd like to add that I believe it can be used to refer to anyone who is an expert in some field of study, especially when someone is seeking advice from an expert/asking for an expert opinion.
    That's... not entirely accurate. A scientist, for example, is less likely to be treated as -sensei and more likely to be treated as -hakasei (which translates loosely into "professor" around here).

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    From personal experience I believe sir is more likely to be used than mister by young people like Sayaka. Mr. is usually used by teachers when referring to students when they want to make them feel like they're being treated as equals/adults or being held to adult standards. A cop is likely to call a young person mister to sound professional and indifferent to how old someone is to show he treats all people equally seriously while a young person would likely refer to one as sir. Business people are likely to call customers mister like police officers to show they take all people seriously.

To expand on this, 'sir' is generally used to replace the name entirely, unless the person that you are speaking to is a knight, such as Percival, Lancelot, or Sir Terry Pratchett.

When it fully replaces the name, sir is a term that, in its original use, denotes respect, and sometimes indicates a willingness to follow orders. For example, "Sir, yes, Sir!" is a stereotypical statement of an army recruit given an order by his drill sergeant. However, as with most things, tone can change basically all of the implications.
    Last edited by Sucrose; 2011-09-21 at 10:23 AM.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    To expand on this, 'sir' is generally used to replace the name entirely, unless the person that you are speaking to is a knight, such as Percival, Lancelot, or Sir Terry Pratchett.
    Ahahahaha, I was thinking I should add that clarification.
    That's... not entirely accurate. A scientist, for example, is less likely to be treated as -sensei and more likely to be treated as -hakasei (which translates loosely into "professor" around here).
    Well yeah, I meant in a general/loose sense when someone isn't a writer(at least not foremost known as one)/scientist/doctor. I'm thinking a movie director/professional animator/an expert on something through hands on experience/informal study. To further clarify, I see it being used for these people by their fans/interviewers.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-21 at 10:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yeah, I meant in a general/loose sense.
    I apologize if I've just stated the obvious; I do have a tendency to belabor a point. Just wanted to make sure that there was no room for misunderstanding.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    I apologize if I've just stated the obvious
    No, it's fine. You should never take anything for granted when there's a language barrier of some kind. I would have found it amusing if Sayaka was suddenly referring to people as if they were knights though and now you've dashed my infinitesimal hope of that happening. :P
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-21 at 10:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Orc in the Playground

Well yeah, I meant in a general/loose sense when someone isn't a writer(at least not foremost known as one)/scientist/doctor. I'm thinking a movie director/professional animator/an expert on something through hands on experience/informal study.
    Many recognized artists are referred to as -sensei, but not all of them. (Mangaka, for example, often fill both roles as writer and artist, so the honorific is meant to illustrate that.) I don't think I've ever seen a director/animator/programmer be referred to as -sensei, though.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-09-21 at 10:52 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Many recognized artists are referred to as -sensei, but not all of them. (Mangaka, for example, often have fill both roles as writer and artist, so the honorific is meant to illustrate that.) I don't think I've ever seen a director/animator/programmer be referred to as -sensei, though.
    I just added to my post that I believe it would b used by fans or interviewers. I think I have heard it used for them at times, but eh, I'm not actually studying the language formally while you are.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

Technically, I'm not studying the language formally, as I am currently teacherless at the moment. ^_^;;

EDIT: Ah yes, just caught this.

Terry, while it's not unusual for someone to use -senpai, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use -kohai as a honorific; they typically use -san instead.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-09-21 at 10:54 AM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #526
    Barbarian in the Playground

I feel like we're in a videogame in episode 11.

Will Silva put herself in harm's way to save the kids? (good choice)

Run from the Arrancar (Neutral choice)

Or strike a deal with them and get medric back!? (Evil choice)
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Orc in the Playground

Can I EAT the medric?

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkan View Post
    Can I EAT the medric?
    It's a dagger. So sure, just watch out for the heartburn.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a dagger that turns into a giant flaming wicker man.

... sure. Go ahead. Eat it. And hope it stays inert.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

20. - Top - End - #530

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    It's a dagger that turns into a giant flaming wicker man.

... sure. Go ahead. Eat it. And hope it stays inert.
    In Soviet Russia, they put the giant burning wicker man in you?
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    I feel like we're in a videogame in episode 11.

Will Silva put herself in harm's way to save the kids? (good choice)

Run from the Arrancar (Neutral choice)

Or strike a deal with them and get medric back!? (Evil choice)
    Wait...the Arrancar took the dagger from the kids?

Must have missed that part.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

22. - Top - End - #532

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Wait...the Arrancar took the dagger from the kids?

Must have missed that part.
    They didn't. But the easiest way to get medric and leave unharmed would to be make a deal with the arrancar.

Also, an attack? INOUE! I CHOOSE YOU! *cough*blockit*cough*

23. - Top - End - #533

They didn't. But the easiest way to get medric and leave unharmed would to be make a deal with the arrancar.

Also, an attack? INOUE! I CHOOSE YOU! *cough*blockit*cough*
    Well, both Medric and Silva have been itching for a fight. Medric more than Silva.

Also, did the kids drop it? Cause if they didn't, then they still have it. Which means Silva would Chase them again, completely ignoring the fight as much as she can.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Well, both Medric and Silva have been itching for a fight. Medric more than Silva.

Also, did the kids drop it? Cause if they didn't, then they still have it. Which means Silva would Chase them again, completely ignoring the fight as much as she can.
    The kid was kicked into the bushes and he still has it.

What makes you think Akio will let her get away?

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, yes, Inoue is lying about her ability. Or telling a half-truth.

Hey, she's former 2nd Division.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #536

"So was I. Good luck though."

27. - Top - End - #537

The kid was kicked into the bushes and he still has it.

What makes you think Akio will let her get away?
    Well, she'll try to run after the kids, then.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

28. - Top - End - #538
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"So was I. Good luck though."
    "Fascinating, so was I too." *smiles*

@riccaru

crotch shot!
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

29. - Top - End - #539

This is a pretty fun fight.

30. - Top - End - #540

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklance View Post
    "Fascinating, so was I too." *smiles*

@riccaru

crotch shot!
    "Comrade! About this whole arm situation... You're a doctor, right?"