New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 18: Peek-a-boo style PAWNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    *snip*
    If Reene is not spiritually aware, she will think they are suffering some sort of trauma and wants to discover the source.
    *snip*
    This is an excellent point. Renee's questions have the tone of someone trying to determine why Ren is asking this. She already had Kaito in her office after the shooting attempt, and was concerned for him (which is why he thinks his current plan has at least a chance of success).

Incidentally, it sounds like Ken wants to basically cheat at sports (spiritual powers are like steroids and blood doping, only more effective, and likely easier to end up spotting) for personal profit, and Ren needs counseling to help him better discern reality from fiction (because life is not like a manga).
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Ren needs counseling to help him better discern reality from fiction (because life is not like a manga).
    I'm just going to point out that life, in this case, is exactly like a manga and Ren's plan has a good chance of success.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

I do not disagree that if Renee decides that she doesn't see spirits, she should also ensure that Ren gets some major counseling.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    I'm just going to point out that life, in this case, is exactly like a manga and Ren's plan has a good chance of success.
    ...Okay, meta-textually, you are correct. However, in-universe, psychiatrists would be concerned with such an attitude.

And even if the general "have a detective agency" thing "worked out like a mange", the constant need to reference manga as a way to interact with the world and understand motivations and emotions reveals underlying psychological issues.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Besides, I wouldn't call potentially putting himself in danger by telegraphing the fact that he is spiritually active smart. But I'll leave that alone.
    He could be putting himself in danger but he could also be making himself safer by letting people know they don't have to keep him at a distance to stop him from finding out about their powers when he's a special being just like them. The teacher(s) who revealed their status as spiritually aware were supportive so that lessens his concern that he may be putting himself in danger. He could also be making himself feel safer by removing any surprises by finding out early on who around him has powers and if all the school staff members know about each other having powers. If all the people with powers don't all know each other, why don't they? If they're all good guys working towards a common good why are some hiding their powers from others?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Oh, but they are relevant to me, because I bet next you'll be saying they stretch what you can believe is plausible.
    This is insulting, I'm not looking for a bloody fight. I am mentioning my concern for something that is not in a mindset I can understand.

Ren knows people can be hesitant about revealing their status as spiritually aware people and he doesn't care if he makes an ass of himself. What does he care if his principal thinks he's crazy? He has superpowers. What if his parents already know of the supernatural so he doesn't have to worry about them thinking he's crazy? They adopted a necklace youkai. Why can't he be persistent?
    This is what I was looking for. I don't buy it fully, but I'll leave it alone as I always intended to do.

I'm not metagaming. My characters both don't like potentially being jerked around and neither is concerned about people thinking they are weirdos/crazies/whatever. Ken plans to exploit his powers to make millions as a godlike professional athlete and Ren plans to open up his own detective agency that deals with the supernatural so he can be just like a character out of a manga. Neither character is concerned about a bad permanent record as a result of not pleasing their principal.
    This is also what I was looking for. I believe you. I just needed a reason to believe you. The extra information is none of my business, and quite honestly I have a limited memory for these things so it is white noise.

I mean no insult, one of my greatest concerns is of metagaming and as such I can be somewhat defensive to it.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2011-09-23 at 10:25 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, it sounds like Ken wants to basically cheat at sports (spiritual powers are like steroids and blood doping, only more effective, and likely easier to end up spotting) for personal profit, and Ren needs counseling to help him better discern reality from fiction (buecause life is not like a manga).
    Yup, Ken just might want to cheat. I never said he wouldn't. He does think he can make millions even without using his powers though because he's always been a talented and hardworking guy when it comes to athletics.

I don't see how Ren automatically needs counseling when he can make what he wants to do become a reality. I haven't had him constantly view things through the eyes of a manga otaku. Even if he did that wouldn't mean he couldn't distinguish between manga and real life or function normally within society.

It sounds like you're just saying my characters sound like bad people. Guess what? I think Kaito is a bad person.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

Please stop this line of conversation. It's not productive.

Both of you.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

9. - Top - End - #699
    Bugbear in the Playground

He could be putting himself in danger but he could also be making himself safer by letting people know they don't have to keep him at a distance to stop him from finding out about their powers when he's a special being just like them. The teacher(s) who revealed their status as spiritually aware were supportive so that lessens his concern that he may be putting himself in danger. He could also be making himself feel safer by removing any surprises by finding out early on who around him has powers and if all the school staff members know about each other having powers. If all the people with powers don't all know each other, why don't they? If they're all good guys working towards a common good why are some hiding their powers from others?
    Shinigami.

Sora knows about Shinigami. I'd assume Sayaka does as well. Our Shinigami would be totally fine with killing everyone involved, or sealing their powers. Hell, in the case of Ren and Ken, they'd probably erase their memories and kill them to get rid of any possible threats.

Hasunaga warned them about showing off, if I recall properly.

Also, that is quite possibly the worst plan of all time. Like, this kind of terrible plan.

And that plan is god awful.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Did we decide that Soul Society would probably come down and "Smite the Infidels" if there were a lot of mortals with powers? It doesn't seem unreasonable but I don't remember if we actually decided anything along those lines.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Please stop this line of conversation. It's not productive.

Both of you.
    Fair enough. I am.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Orc in the Playground

And this is partially opposite to the kind of harsh reality that Hasunaga intends to drill into their skulls if he has to wring out the last drop of blood from their tiny brains so they'll come to their senses.

One thing people tend to forget is that when people look like they have been put through a meat grinder in a manga, it hurts like effin' hell. Take the worst, rending, scream-inducing pain you've ever felt. Multiply that by ten and picture that hurting you all over. When a hero stands up despite looking like he'd make excellent meat sauce, he's actually making a tremendous effort. I don't consider myself the most athletic person, but the kind of willpower it takes to endure pain and exhaustion during regular exercise, much less a fight to the death is not something that just about anyone can come up with. People are more likely to give up first. (Granted, fights to the death have the benefit of adrenaline pumping, but unfortunately, adrenaline doesn't last very long.)

Hasunaga will be sure to point out to Ren, if he tutors him, that if he intends to live life like it's a manga, he'll have to develop the kind of monstrous willpower you'll see in a manga, and that ain't easy.

Ken he intends to drill in a different way.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

This is insulting, I'm not looking for a bloody fight. I am mentioning my concern for something that is not in a mindset I can understand.
    It's not meant to be insulting. I feel Ren is acting logically according to the personality I envision him having and I feel it shouldn't be hard to see why his actions could be believable. Despite that, you still take issue with how I play him in his current situation.

That makes me think you may also take issue with how I play/write Ken later at some point because he will have suspicions too. His actions will have good reasons for happening in my mind, but if you already take issue with Ren despite the fact I think his actions are reasonable, I wouldn't be surprised if you also take issue with Ken.

If it means anything to you, I will say I am sorry for coming off as insulting. If anyone else feels insulted by me, I am sorry I have come off as insulting. You may not believe me, but I honestly try to be polite and helpful. Not just to tgva and Kasanip either. I think I have a good track record for being helpful and polite because I've been both plenty of times in the past in these OOC threads. I really don't want to offend you because I think you're a pretty cool guy whether you care about what I think of you or not.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-23 at 10:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Did we decide that Soul Society would probably come down and "Smite the Infidels" if there were a lot of mortals with powers? It doesn't seem unreasonable but I don't remember if we actually decided anything along those lines.
    No, we did not. In this case, the political uproar in Soul Society would be massive. The Hayashi house doesn't protect criminals among its ranks, but otherwise it takes care of its own.

I also don't like the idea that it Soul Society would go after a group that posed little to no threat to it anyway. Like, at all. Partially because I'm completely tired of the 'Soul Society as antagonists for Mortal Kids' plot.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2011-09-23 at 10:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, depending on the Mediums they might go after them (specifically Valeria and Sora since they're part Hollow, though maybe some of the Quincy until they fix the soul-destroying problem). But I do agree horngeek, I don't think there would be a massacre occurring.

Maybe Hollows would be sent en masse to eat them, though. (I don't know anything about how Hueco Mundo works politically, so this comment should probably be ignored.)
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-09-23 at 10:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shinigami.

Sora knows about Shinigami. I'd assume Sayaka does as well. Our Shinigami would be totally fine with killing everyone involved, or sealing their powers. Hell, in the case of Ren and Ken, they'd probably erase their memories and kill them to get rid of any possible threats.

Hasunaga warned them about showing off, if I recall properly.

Also, that is quite possibly the worst plan of all time. Like, this kind of terrible plan.

And that plan is god awful.
    Well even if this is the case, Ren and Ken don't know this.

Also, if anyone ever wondered why I named Ren and Ken the way I did, it's because I love one syllable names and when I thought of Ren's name I honestly forgot I had already given my other character a name that rhymed with it.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2011-09-23 at 10:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Orc in the Playground

@nc: Let's just continue the plot, shall we?

@tgva: Ryouichi would not put forth such an edict unless it was proven that the kids with powers were legitimate threats to the safety of the Seireitei. The effects on the Mortal World are unfortunately not worth worrying about, in a pragmatic sense. Mortals come and go, but Shinigami last for millenia at a time, so they are a more potent and thus more valuable force. It might sound cold, but keep in mind he is a general, he has an entire army to look after.

If the Central 46 decides it, well. The kids are SOL.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2011-09-23 at 10:52 PM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't think so. Good to know for sure.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Orc in the Playground

I don't see any particular reason why Soul Society would actually care. Regular mediums don't really interfere with the cycle of reincarnation in any form or fashion, and Quincy are scattered enough that they aren't really a big 'threat' on the grand scheme of things either.

If nothing else, Mediums are a boon to Soul Society. As a general rule, they're targetted by Hollows, which makes them more likely to trust Shinigami if they happen to be rescued, and they tend to fight Hollows themselves, which lightens the workload on the Shinigami on-duty (not to mention the fact that they are like beacons for Shinigami to figure out which are the more likely targets for Hollows to go for). They may occasionally make use of their powers to get ahead in the Mortal World, but that's not something Soul Society really cares about since the Mortal World at large only really has a tangential relationship with them, and the vast majority of the people can't interact with spiritual beings in any meaningful way.

TL;DR Soul Society probably thinks Mediums are a perfectly acceptable phenomenon in the grand scheme of things.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

Waiting on Ren's answer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

(By the way, horngeek, Natsuko probably knew exactly what Taiki's zanpakuto did. I mean, they are married and Shinigami.)

22. - Top - End - #712
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey Draken, did Reene know previously that Mayumi was a Quincy, or even spiritually aware? I believe that we stated previously that Quincies, as a general rule, were no more noticeable (spirit-wise) than ordinary humans, unless they were actively using their powers. It's not anything serious, I'm just wondering how far Mayumi needs to run to keep Reene from killing her.
    Bleach iTP Reborn characters
    Star Wars iTP characters

Awesome Cassandra Avatar courtesy of the equally awesome Shades of Grey!

I'm also on AIM and Skype. Contact info resides on my profile if you wish to speak with me.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rex's current plan: lie through his teeth. And possibly find Hasunaga later to commiserate on lack of squad-style unity among the kids.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrheit View Post
    Rex's current plan: lie through his teeth. And possibly find Hasunaga later to commiserate on lack of squad-style unity among the kids.
    Did you miss how Kaito was also planning to lie throug his teeth? Or half-lie, anyways? You know, with the "my parents were attacked" thing. He's planning to sell it as the mafia, not Hollows. I mean, it happened once already.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2011-09-24 at 12:21 AM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Barbarian in the Playground

Did you miss how Kaito was also planning to lie throug his teeth? Or half-lie, anyways? You know, with the "my parents were attacked" thing. He's planning to sell it as the mafia, not Hollows. I mean, it happened once already.
    Why would he have to miss that to say what his character was going to do? Plus, if they felt the hollows, then Reene or one of her agents sure as hell did. Plus, you know, Gabi.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kayne650 View Post
    Hey Draken, did Reene know previously that Mayumi was a Quincy, or even spiritually aware? I believe that we stated previously that Quincies, as a general rule, were no more noticeable (spirit-wise) than ordinary humans, unless they were actively using their powers. It's not anything serious, I'm just wondering how far Mayumi needs to run to keep Reene from killing her.
    She did know, she knows of all spiritually aware members of her staff. She also knows that Mayumi is a quincy, at the very least she knows that because Von Geister knows that.

Also, Reene's office is lined with sekiseki (she needs to hide gralster and other stuff), so she can't feel spiritual activity outside of it when she is there.

She does, however, know of everything through Gabi.
    Last edited by Draken; 2011-09-24 at 12:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    Why would he have to miss that to say what his character was going to do? Plus, if they felt the hollows, then Reene or one of her agents sure as hell did. Plus, you know, Gabi.
    Warheit's suggestion about lying to cover their bases seemed to not include Kaito's suggestion. Then again, Kaito acknowledged he couldn't cover more than one or two extra people with it.

Also, the kids don't know Renee has spiritual awareness (well, I guess Izumi and Ren do now, but not the others). So Kaito's still approaching it like she's spirit-blind.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Orc in the Playground

I'm calling for a stop to the conversation on Kaito's and Ken's IC relationship, and if necessary will call to have the thread locked.

NC and KD can talk it out in PM if you want to. But right now, it's disruptive to the OOC.
    Last edited by strawberryman; 2011-09-24 at 12:25 AM.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

29. - Top - End - #719
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warheit's suggestion about lying to cover their bases seemed to not include Kaito's suggestion. Then again, Kaito acknowledged he couldn't cover more than one or two extra people with it.

Also, the kids don't know Renee has spiritual awareness (well, I guess Izumi and Ren do now, but not the others). So Kaito's still approaching it like she's spirit-blind.
    Eh, the way I saw it was that War was just saying that Rex was going to lie, not that he didn't expect others to lie.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rex strongly doubts that Kaito would be able to tell a lie good enough to get the gaijin newcomer off the hook; after all, they're not even in the same class. Besides, he's the sort of guy who'd take a fall so Kaito could spend that one-or-two lie on people who stood a better chance of benefiting from it.
    If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus
    I picture some NPC kid running up to the wearer, going "Sir... why are you wearing a chopped off hand?", at which point the wearer launches the kid's hat 15 feet away and snarls, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? THIS IS TRUE POWER!"