New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 18: Peek-a-boo style PAWNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    Ok, so keeping that in mind, how should I change Myojin to fit?
    For now, it might be better if does not have Bankai yet. It really isn't necessary to achieve one at all.

However, beyond that, you might not need to change him at all, and even his Bankai (despite him not having it) could be a plot point too.

In the game, 10th Division Captain (Taiki Takahashi) lamented that his Vice-Captain had gone AWOL shortly after Maggot's Nest collapsed. Here's one idea.

Last we saw of Myojin in the game, he was training (with Katisugo of 12th, if I recall right). It's possible that's exactly what he's been doing: training, to achieve Bankai to be specific. Unfortunately, his Sword Spirit's test was too much, and he got severely injured. Due to having trained in isolated place, it took this long before he was found, or it might be extent of his injuries made it hard to recognize him. In-game, this would've happened about a month ago.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    For now, it might be better if does not have Bankai yet. It really isn't necessary to achieve one at all.

However, beyond that, you might not need to change him at all, and even his Bankai (despite him not having it) could be a plot point too.

In the game, 10th Division Captain (Taiki Takahashi) lamented that his Vice-Captain had gone AWOL shortly after Maggot's Nest collapsed. Here's one idea.

Last we saw of Myojin in the game, he was training (with Katisugo of 12th, if I recall right). It's possible that's exactly what he's been doing: training, to achieve Bankai to be specific. Unfortunately, his Sword Spirit's test was too much, and he got severely injured. Due to having trained in isolated place, it took this long before he was found, or it might be extent of his injuries made it hard to recognize him. In-game, this would've happened about a month ago.
    That... sounds pretty perfect, actually. Thanks, Frozen Feet. :) Isolation sounds like a good excuse. I'd rather not change his appearance, though. While I would like to achieve bankai at some point, it's not really crucial right now.
    Last edited by CMOTDibbler; 2011-10-17 at 02:51 PM.
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think we can 'un-stuck' the characters if we drop in a timeskip of a day or two.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Orc in the Playground

Moving the plot would be better. It'd get more things done. I think everyone's just busy right now.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

The way it is, it will be hard (re: impossible) for Myojin to still be 10th's VC. At this point he would have been demoted for neglecting his duties.

What plot are we moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    In other news; it appears the meeting is going on ahead without the only two members of the group with the slightest sense of perspective. {Sora and Valeria}. Not that the others are stupid, but it puts everything into a tad clearer view when your powers do two things respectively:

Sora: Destroys people's souls and then eats them.
    Valeria: Absorbs something or another from Hollows (I can't distinguish what Straw's told me in AIM from what's on the outdated character sheet man)

And the current occupants of Venti Buon are the ones who want to keep on fighting Hollows. Yes, that is the story, but I guess this is one of those arcs that Just Bugs Me.

...Not as bad as that arc with the oh-so-brilliant idea of 'introducing the Mortals to the fold'. The one that took four months and excluded all characters with prior knowledge of spiritual matters?

Yeah. That one. Think that might be why we lost Moon Wolf, just a thought.

TL;DR: Sora and Val probably shouldn't have gone on their silly date and instead tried to convince the kids that fighting spirit monsters from the afterlife is a bad idea.
    Kina's powers do destroy souls. It's not like she hasn't taken that into account at all.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-17 at 07:02 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In other news; it appears the meeting is going on ahead without the only two members of the group with the slightest sense of perspective. {Sora and Valeria}. Not that the others are stupid, but it puts everything into a tad clearer view when your powers do two things respectively:

Valeria: Absorbs something or another from Hollows (I can't distinguish what Straw's told me in AIM from what's on the outdated character sheet man)

And the current occupants of Venti Buon are the ones who want to keep on fighting Hollows. Yes, that is the story, but I guess this is one of those arcs that Just Bugs Me.

...Not as bad as that arc with the oh-so-brilliant idea of 'introducing the Mortals to the fold'. The one that took four months and excluded all characters with prior knowledge of spiritual matters?

TL;DR: Sora and Val probably shouldn't have gone on their silly date and instead tried to convince the kids that fighting spirit monsters from the afterlife is a bad idea.
    Why is everyone assuming there's no middle ground between "do absolutely nothing with our powers or to protect ourselves" and "use our powers to actively hunt Hollows"?

Why can't there be a freaking in-between of "develop our powers to defend ourselves and our families when necessary"?

Oh, right, because Sora knows better. Despite everyone else having powers that work radically different than his.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    The way it is, it will be hard (re: impossible) for Myojin to still be 10th's VC. At this point he would have been demoted for neglecting his duties.
    Oh, I wasn't thinking he could. I was thinking the accident with him attempting to achieve Bankai backfired, and may have hurt him enough to lower his power level like to a 4th seat or something. I was thinking that he could eventually work his power back up eventually, but it could take him a long time to recover. That way, he could be essentially the same character with lower power level.

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Orc in the Playground

Val wants to keep fighting hollows to protect her friends, because it's quite obvious they have the attention of less-than-noble forces. She would not say otherwise. All the kids have been doing so far has been defending themselves or their families.

It would be counterproductive to convince them to not fight to defend themselves. Actively searching for the monsters with no reason other than "for kicks and giggles", maybe. But I don't think any of the kids have been doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Why is everyone assuming there's no middle ground between "do absolutely nothing with our powers or to protect ourselves" and "use our powers to actively hunt Hollows"?

Why can't there be a freaking in-between of "develop our powers to defend ourselves and our families when necessary"?

Oh, right, because Sora knows better. Despite everyone else having powers that work radically different than his.
    That last bit seems irrelevant, and the tone isn't particularly needed.

I am sure that Terry/Sora would only mean to try and convince the kids not to actively search for hollows, as said. This may just be a misunderstanding, no need to get defensive.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Orc in the Playground

Straw has a point in that the nature of their powers (Kina's notwithstanding) are ultimately unimportant as far as choosing a future goal for themselves go. Or at least as far as deciding between either extreme or the middle.

With that said, Sora has been doing this longer, which gives him a perspective most other kids lack, with the possible exceptions of Sayaka and Kazari. Valeria seems to be the one most horrified about the situation, which is understandable between the nature of her powers and her mother's recent revelations, and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to seek a way out of the spiritual life.

Kaito is by far the one with the most emotional "damage" of all the kids, which is why a moderate opinion isn't exactly expected of him (and it'd be PARTICULARLY unexpected, between his personality and actions, to have him vote for inactivity). Izumi is a Shinigami, and Rex is a Quincy, which makes their opinions more likely to tilt towards the "actively seek out" side. Nakahiro is bound to offer a moderate opinion given his way of thinking. Ken and Ren (but Ken moreso than Ren) are likely to have their opinions rebuked due to the fact they're not yet in the best of terms with the remaining 'crew'.

Sayaka is actually something of a wildcard in this. I could see her either telling them to try to be as inconspicuous as possible in regards to spiritual matters (since she has been fighting her whole life to shield others from such incidents) or vote for them to grow stronger (though I don't see her telling them to seek out Hollows since she's bound to find it a stupid idea at best).

As you can see, without Sora and Val the kids' discussion is tilting a little more towards the most self-destructive path.

Then again, if they didn't end up going on their little date they'd miss out on character development, including but not limited to factors that'd help them hold the team together when time comes to fight again, so it's not a loss.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, I think I missed something. Have any of the kids actually said at Venti Buon that they'd like to go searching out and slaying Hollows?

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    Oh, I wasn't thinking he could. I was thinking the accident with him attempting to achieve Bankai backfired, and may have hurt him enough to lower his power level like to a 4th seat or something. I was thinking that he could eventually work his power back up eventually, but it could take him a long time to recover. That way, he could be essentially the same character with lower power level.
    Ah, alright. This works for me. I think he could return, have been demoted and be forced to work himself back up to his previous position, both through returning himself to full fighting capacity and by returning to his assigned duties.

Edit: Training to become stronger and more capable of defending oneself is "self-destructive"?
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-17 at 07:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Orc in the Playground

Not yet, but it's one of the possibilities. I basically wanted to expound on Terry's point regarding what Sora and Val's absence means to the discussion at hand.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Bugbear in the Playground

...I'm unsure of how to respond to that KD.

You have to take several things into account:

1. Nobody knows how the hell the mediums powers work. For all we know, they could be doing the same thing Sora does, and destroy the souls.

2. Pretty sure I never said 'do absolutely nothing'. I'm saying that the current occupants, while grasping the reality of the situation, still don't understand the magnitude. The fact that if they train, Hollows will actively search them out.

3. Sora does, in fact, know better. Because he's been using his powers for two years. Wait, why isn't that on his character sheet, because I established that a while ago.

EDIT: Aaaand Kuroi posted everything I wanted to say in a better way then I could say it. Thanks man.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2011-10-17 at 08:21 PM.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

1. Nobody knows how the hell the mediums powers work. For all we know, they could be doing the same thing Sora does, and destroy the souls.
    Kina is almost certain to bring this up.

Edit: A Quincy's strength doesn't seem proportionate to the amount of reiatsu they release at any given moment. I mean, otherwise Mayuri should have known just how good a Quincy Uryu would be when they fought. I'm wondering whether a skilled Quincy or an unskilled Quincy would actually be more or less likely to be targeted by Hollows. Nothing in the Manga indicates as such.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-17 at 08:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Orc in the Playground

2. Pretty sure I never said 'do absolutely nothing'. I'm saying that the current occupants, while grasping the reality of the situation, still don't understand the magnitude. The fact that if they train, Hollows will actively search them out.
    Not if they go to Hibiki's secret underwater hideout, which he was going to show to the kids before Hasunaga went ahead with his silly not-underwater-hideout-invite.
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Reborn² characters!
    Madokapunk!

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, alright. This works for me. I think he could return, have been demoted and be forced to work himself back up to his previous position, both through returning himself to full fighting capacity and by returning to his assigned duties.

Edit: Training to become stronger and more capable of defending oneself is "self-destructive"?
    Uhm... Sure? I was going off Frozen_Feet feet said, about the Spirit Test being too much for him. Maybe it hurt him to the point of actually lowering his spiritual pressure.

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

16. - Top - End - #1186

Kina is almost certain to bring this up.

Edit: A Quincy's strength doesn't seem proportionate to the amount of reiatsu they release at any given moment. I mean, otherwise Mayuri should have known just how good a Quincy Uryu would be when they fought. I'm wondering whether a skilled Quincy or an unskilled Quincy would actually be more or less likely to be targeted by Hollows. Nothing in the Manga indicates as such.
    Presumably unskilled, as they wouldn't be able to manipulate the reishi to do whatever quincies do to conceal themselves.

@Straw: I meant after they do the training montage and Hollows are all like "Ohey, sure there's an arrancar and like two three vizards, but there are literally FIFTEEN SPIRITUALLY EMPOWERED HUMANS here.

I'm gonna go for it."

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Orc in the Playground

Meh, as things stand, chances are only Ken will wind up using it anyway. He's apparently the only one out of the kids who's in certain, good terms with Hasunaga.

That said, two factors actually speak FOR power-up training.

A) Powering up and learning how to make your Reiatsu less noticeable are not mutually exclusive options. Plus, even if they hide it there's a good chance some Hollows will be JUST that good at sniffing them out, due to sheer diversity.
    If that happens, their self-defense options are limited if they choose to just hide.

B) Smart Hollows will avoid anyone whose Reiatsu flags the target as too big a fish for them. Sora has actually used the "I am a monster, avoid me" mechanism to great effect thus far, no reason to believe it wouldn't work with the other kids.
    No, but actively looking for Hollows to kill is. For one thing, they're bound to attract bigger, deadlier Hollows once they get to kill a certain number of them (reputations build up even among Hollows, after all). If that doesn't happen, at some point the Hollows might band together and say, "Let's dogpile that guy who's been killing Hollows left and right or we're next". Either way they get into a situation that, at some point, will become impossible to handle (especially if they accumulate injuries in the process).
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-10-17 at 08:36 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

...But no one has said they are going to go hunt down Hollows yet, and I don't think the presence of Val or Sora would dissuade anyone who was going to do that anyways. Neither of them are friends with anyone who would actually say that, except maybe Izumi.

Presumably unskilled, as they wouldn't be able to manipulate the reishi to do whatever quincies do to conceal themselves.
    It's not even clear that they need to do such things. Concealing oneself has nothing to do with affecting the apparent power level of someone. If you can detect a reiatsu, it's never determined whether the level of detection is proportionate to the power level of the bearer. So if someone's reiatsu detects as barely a blip, that doesn't necessarily mean that the person is actually weak spiritually, it just makes them barely appear to be there. Just being able to detect someone's reiatsu appears to reveal vital characteristics about them, like whether or not they're a Shinigami.

When fighting Uryu, Mayuri appears to have no knowledge that Uryu is a skilled Quincy until Uryu actually demonstrates that skill. Against other opponents, various characters demonstrate that they can "feel" their opponent's power. I don't know whether Quincy just have different reiatsu or what.

But the way that a Quincy's power works, I don't think reiatsu is even important to them at all. Their power comes not from internal strength but from manipulation of some external force. So why would they even have larger or smaller reiatsus, it's not like they're training their spiritual "power".
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-17 at 08:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Orc in the Playground

It's not even clear that they need to do such things. Concealing oneself has nothing to do with affecting the apparent power level of someone. If you can detect a reiatsu, it's never determined whether the level of detection is proportionate to the power level of the bearer. So if someone's reiatsu detects as barely a blip, that doesn't necessarily mean that the person is actually weak spiritually, it just makes them barely appear to be there.

When fighting Uryu, Mayuri appears to have no knowledge that Uryu is a skilled Quincy until Uryu actually demonstrates that skill. Against other opponents, various characters demonstrate that they can "feel" their opponent's power. I don't know whether Quincy just have different reiatsu or what.

But the way that a Quincy's power works, I don't think reiatsu is even important to them at all. Their power comes not from internal strength but from manipulation of some external force. So why would they even have larger or smaller reiatsus, it's not like they're training their spiritual "power".
    It's perfectly possible that having a bigger Reiatsu for a Quincy could be tantamount to gathering Reishi more quickly, or that they could simply release it into the atmosphere to have more reishi to work with, or even that having more Reiatsu could make it possible for them to decompose spiritual matter into Reishi like Uryuu did with the walls in the fight against Mayuri.

Besides, Hirenkyaku specifically seems to partake of the user's Reiatsu as a fuel source (even Uryuu gets tired from trying to run circles around his opponents for long).

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There's no evidence they do destroy souls though. And we can be pretty sure they don't eat souls.

Hollows are already actively searching them out.
    Worse, they're facing not just animalistic Hollows, but also intelligent, behind-the-scenes manipulators who control Hollows. So, yeah, not training likely just makes them easier targets.
    Also, aren't we forgetting people can control their reiatsu output? Consider that in canon, Chad, Inoue, etc, aren't constantly being attacked by wild Hollows 24/7. So clearly, while making them "juicier targets", training doesn't make their life an endless battle for survival.

3. Sora does, in fact, know better. Because he's been using his powers for two years. Wait, why isn't that on his character sheet, because I established that a while ago.
    Yet he's not someone older than the other characters; he's also, by your own admission, not totally psychologically stable.

And while he's dealt with a lot of crap and fought a lot of Hollows, Kaito's dealt with 2 deliberate, intelligent attacks on his family, where only his powers kept his family alive. You're going to have a tough time convincing him it's better to ditch these powers.

I think I'm frustrated because you're suddenly trying to sell Sora as this font of wisdom, when...that groundwork hasn't really been laid. Hasunaga at least has the age and experience to back that up, even if he has horrible timing with his forceful "suggestions".
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    It's perfectly possible that having a bigger Reiatsu for a Quincy could be tantamount to gathering Reishi more quickly, or that they could simply release it into the atmosphere to have more reishi to work with, or even that having more Reiatsu could make it possible for them to decompose spiritual matter into Reishi like Uryuu did with the walls in the fight against Mayuri.

Besides, Hirenkyaku specifically seems to partake of the user's Reiatsu as a fuel source (even Uryuu gets tired from trying to run circles around his opponents for long).
    It's perfectly possible that this is true. But it's also possible that Quincy's relation to reiatsu is only important insofar as they have some so that they can see Hollows and other spiritual beings. Those things are not explained in terms of a Quincy's reiatsu, but in terms of their ability to manipulate Reishi. Uryu can decompose spiritual matter after removing the Sanrei Glove because the Glove makes it harder for him to draw Reishi close to him. Once released, his improved ability to manipulate Reishi (caused by training with the glove) allows him to pull apart buildings. The ability to manipulate Reishi isn't specifically tied to Reiatsu, and I don't think it has to be.

When does he get tired doing this? I don't recall him ever specifically getting tired from using Hirenkyaku.

I'm not saying that a Quincy doesn't get tired doing it, but it's not necessarily because they're using their Reiatsu. I mean, manipulating the spiritual fabric of matter isn't necessarily an effortless task, is it? But I don't think it's the same as dropping your Reiatsu on someone to make them unable to move, or firing a Kido spell or a Cero or something. I mean, if Quincy had inherent Reiatsu, why couldn't they learn to fire spells without containing reishi into small glass tubes?

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Um, don't know if it will help but this is what I found on the Quincy from the bleach wikia guys.

Quincy are spiritually aware humans able to absorb and manipulate Reiryoku into weapons. Unlike the Shinigami who use a sword as their primary weapon, the Quincy's weapon of choice is a bow or a crossbow. These are constructed from spiritual particles drawn from their surroundings. This is also unlike the Shinigami, who rely on their own innate spiritual energy. (As a reflection of this, the Quincy have white spirit threads like normal humans, while Shinigami have red spirit threads.) A Quincy bow is summoned using an artifact called a Quincy Cross. The only limit to a Quincy's ability to create and fire arrows is their own stamina and ability to absorb ambient spirit particles. Quincy also have various tools and battle aides that can increase their power or serve as secondary weapons.

Reiryoku Absorption & Manipulation: A Quincy primarily absorbs spiritual energy from the atmosphere and combines it with his or her own spiritual energy to form weapons.[2] They have an easier time collecting this energy in environments with higher concentrations of spiritual particles such as in Soul Society or Hueco Mundo. To a sufficiently powerful Quincy, there is no difference between spiritual particles and spiritual energy as a source of power. They can manipulate spiritual energy for offensive purposes. A Quincy most commonly reshapes spiritual particles into various types of bow and arrows but can also concentrate spiritual energy into the form of swords, Seele Schneider, or Gintō.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Orc in the Playground

There's no evidence they do destroy souls though. And we can be pretty sure they don't eat souls.

Worse, they're facing not just animalistic Hollows, but also intelligent, behind-the-scenes manipulators who control Hollows. So, yeah, not training likely just makes them easier targets.
    Also, aren't we forgetting people can control their reiatsu output? Consider that in canon, Chad, Inoue, etc, aren't constantly being attacked by wild Hollows 24/7. So clearly, while making them "juicier targets", training doesn't make their life an endless battle for survival.

Yet he's not someone older than the other characters; he's also, by your own admission, not totally psychologically stable.

And while he's dealt with a lot of crap and fought a lot of Hollows, Kaito's dealt with 2 deliberate, intelligent attacks on his family, where only his powers kept his family alive. You're going to have a tough time convincing him it's better to ditch these powers.

I think I'm frustrated because you're suddenly trying to sell Sora as this font of wisdom, when...that groundwork hasn't really been laid. Hasunaga at least has the age and experience to back that up, even if he has horrible timing with his forceful "suggestions".
    I'll admit to horrible timing, but he did keep his promise about showing them something and not interfering with the discussion. He even specifically told them to do whatever they wanted with the place.

Also, Kaito doesn't necessarily know that Sora's a nutjob. He knows the kid's powers probably do a number on his conscience and he knows he keeps pretty much everybody at arm's length, but aside from social awkwardness, there isn't much that says "this kid's a whacko".

"Aside from those pictures of him in cute animal suits."

You made those up.

It's perfectly possible that this is true. But it's also possible that Quincy's relation to reiatsu is only important insofar as they have some so that they can see Hollows and other spiritual beings. Those things are not explained in terms of a Quincy's reiatsu, but in terms of their ability to manipulate Reishi. Uryu can decompose spiritual matter after removing the Sanrei Glove because the Glove makes it harder for him to draw Reishi close to him. Once released, his improved ability to manipulate Reishi (caused by training with the glove) allows him to pull apart buildings. The ability to manipulate Reishi isn't specifically tied to Reiatsu, and I don't think it has to be.

When does he get tired doing this? I don't recall him ever specifically getting tired from using Hirenkyaku.

I'm not saying that a Quincy doesn't get tired doing it, but it's not necessarily because they're using their Reiatsu. I mean, manipulating the spiritual fabric of matter isn't necessarily an effortless task, is it? But I don't think it's the same as dropping your Reiatsu on someone to make them unable to move, or firing a Kido spell or a Cero or something. I mean, if Quincy had inherent Reiatsu, why couldn't they learn to fire spells without containing reishi into small glass tubes?
    Final Form, specifically, seems to run counter to that idea, since it erases a Quincy's powers but not his/her ability to see spirits. Gintô actually pose an interesting question in that unless Uryuu prepared them BEFORE going to SS, that means he could somehow store Reishi inside them after he lost his Quincy powers but he could not form a bow and arrows. It's possible that a significantly small portion of a Quincy's Reiatsu is used to give their weapons "edge".
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-10-17 at 09:39 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, alright then. Well, in that case, I was wrong.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-17 at 11:13 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1195

There's no evidence that they don't destroy souls. We can only determine they don't eat them.

Hollows aren't searching them out, a SWORD operative was. And said SWORD operative was brutally beaten by Nero Abel, who just happens to be Valeria's father.

He's not older, he just happens to have more experience than most of the group, apart from Kina, Rex, and Sayaka, all of who have lived with their abilities for most, if not their entire lives. (Izumi may or may not be part of this list, with her family growing new members with abilities every few months or so, making it really confusing if she knew about everything before she became a Substitute.) However, Hasunaga has more experience that Sora, it just so happens that Hasunaga's advice is directly opposed to what Sora's is.

Did I ever say he would succeed? Did I ever even imply that others would listen to the person they've ignored for years, who is clearly on the brink of insanity? I don't remember saying that, because it wouldn't be true. Sora could simply offer an alternate perspective, the one of use your abilities when you have to, not train them. In the words of Gandalf:

"Don't... tempt me Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand, Frodo. I would use this ring from a desire to do good... But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine."

All the people in that room want to help others. However, from what Frozen has been pulling with Elder, and Draken's rocking with Lucaster, the game is steadily sinking into grimdark. In fact, it's more then likely that if all the kids want to 'help' others, SWORD would recruit them, because that's what SWORD wants to do. However, this would require several things to happen, and all of them revolve around the kids never ever ever finding out that SWORD sent the Hollows after them, albeit through an unsanctioned mission, but still.

Font of... what? Sora's wisdom boils down to "Let those who are perpetually involved in this deal with it." I wasn't selling him as a font of wisdom, I was selling him as what he's been doing. Advising against the whole "train to protect your family", because once you train you're more of a target. And there's a rather massive difference between flaring the reiatsu of an Arrancar and that of a Spiritually Empowered human.

On another note, that Samsara character who cancels everything? Yeah, she's done.

Shades.
    Spoiler
    Show

Weight: approx. 95 lbs.
    Reiatsu: The absence of any shape or form.
    Known Affiliation: Samsara.

Appearance: LARGE IMAGE AHOY
    Spoiler
    Show

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shades was the first, and last Samsara to appear. Her item, a pair of headphones, was the first thing to be summoned by the Rosary. However, these headphones were untouchable, and floated with the wind. Shades appeared at the very end of the resurrections of the Samsara, and was at first ignored by most of them, for she had a problem that no Samsara could possibly get around.

She had no abilities. She was useless in combat, useless in magic, useless in everything. Until they found out what she could do. She could remove any, and every spiritual ability within an area. Bounts, Arrancar, Shinigami, Humans, even the Samsara themselves couldn't stop her technique.

And so she was let in.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show

Shades is quiet most of the time. She rarely interacts with the other Samsara, preferring to remain lost in her music. When she does interact with the others, she speaks to them in quick, short sentences.

Ability: Globe of Deprivation
    Spoiler
    Show

Shades has a single ability, her Globe of Deprivation. When activated, anyone within its radius cannot use any of their abilities whatsoever. They are stripped of their spiritual powers entirely. Her ability is the ultimate defense of the Valley of Screams, the reason that they remain relatively safe from attackers. After all, very few have had enough practice in dueling without any sort of ability at all. And with Cassandra's expertise in weapons, it wouldn't really matter.

Skills:
    Spoiler
    Show

Absolutely Useless: Shades is worthless in any given form of combat, stamina, and anything useful in any way, shape or form that would help in a fight. Her only skill is her ability.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2011-10-17 at 10:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Final Form, specifically, seems to run counter to that idea, since it erases a Quincy's powers but not his/her ability to see spirits. Gintô actually pose an interesting question in that unless Uryuu prepared them BEFORE going to SS, that means he could somehow store Reishi inside them after he lost his Quincy powers but he could not form a bow and arrows. It's possible that a significantly small portion of a Quincy's Reiatsu is used to give their weapons "edge".
    Yeah, okay, but that further implies that reiatsu and Quincy powers are not directly related to each other, since Uryu still possesses reiatsu even without Quincy powers.

I always viewed Quincy powers as more of a skill than an increase in some internal power. Thus why the idea that "training makes you more of a target" wasn't necessarily true for them in my mind, because the difference between Kina before and Kina after training isn't that large. She wouldn't be increasing her Reiatsu, just her skill manipulating Reishi, which is not something Hollows sense when determining who looks tasty.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-17 at 11:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple

Of course there can be. The point is more so that Sora already had a lecture about that (From Yui, in Ep. 6), and the message finally hit home during the kidnapping plot.

Now, like any teenager with an epiphany, he thinks himself smart and looks down on those who've not had it. Judging from his tone, this might apply to Sora's writer as well.

By which I mean: terry, even if something bugs you, you don't need to get so fired up about it. The story's still in progress, there's apt chance to address your complaints in character.
    Demotion due to extended absence and injuries is perfectly reasonable. Maybe you could reintroduce Myojin to the scene by having Taiki visit him
    and break the news on his demotion?
    All powers in Bleach are linked with Death, or things otherwise imperceptible. Dedicating any effort to training their powers is directly out of the kids' ability to hold a normal life. It's not self-destructive in the sense that it'll get them killed, but it is bound to alienate them from the ordinary.

If there weren't outside forces after the kids, the smartest thing for them would be to learn to supress their Reiatsu below detection treshold, and move on with their lives - provided they don't actually want to send their life or afterlife fighting Hollows.

Yeah, okay, but that further implies that reiatsu and Quincy powers are not directly related to each other, since Uryu still possesses reiatsu even without Quincy powers.

I always viewed Quincy powers as more of a skill than an increase in some internal power..
    As seen from Bleach canon which AnimeKid quoted, this is explicitly true: the basic dichtomy between Shinigami and Quincy is that the former uses internal, and the latter external energy.

A Quincy not using his powers would only be as easy to detect as weakest mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    However, from what Frozen has been pulling with Elder, and Draken's rocking with Lucaster, the game is steadily sinking into grimdark.
    What do you mean? Both Elder and Reene have been more on the level of Saturday morning cartoon villains than anything else. Their on-screen villainy has been pretty mild; while there are bleak implications to their existence, those have mostly gone unexplored as of yet.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Glad I could help frozen feet. Oh yeah I like to get other people opinions on my characters so that I can address any pressing concerns. So tell me what you think of Jiro and Kyoki and my playing style of them. Anyone else feel free to respond to this as well.

Also terry and knight, this debate basically boils down to why should my character listen to your and why are you picking on my character. The this is knight that your character doesn't have to listen to terry's nor does anyone else unless it would be in character to do so. You can not like the philosophy all you want, but ultimately it boils down to what your character would do, not what you would do. Jiro and Kyoki would have two different responses to a question or stimuli. Just cause they have those responses however does not mean I personally like them. I'm just playing the character as I describe them.

Also, terry you don't have to get so defensive every time someone questions you or your character (Sorry if I am sounding preachy guys). It simply takes you acknowledging their concern and explaining your characters thinking and give and example or two. If the person still has complaints simply politely ask them what they have a problem with and try explain it. You don't have to change anything your character did or said (Unless you wanted to) as how others react to your character is also a part of the game. Like Jiro's declaration that he wants to surpass the Spirit King and his decision to duel Kazuma.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Orc in the Playground

Speaking of which, should I open up that particular episode, or would you rather do so?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Long overdue but do share your thoughts. I hope this sticks to Cuerva's Aspect even better than the previous set.

Necromancia, Cuerva de Sangre: Emperatriz oscura de la sombra hambrienta (Dark Empress of the Starving Shadow)

History (tl:dr - very long fluff)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starvation was medically defined as a severe reduction in vitamin, nutrient and energy intake. But for Hollows, it merely represents the most fundamental basic urges of their kind. As amalgamations of a myriad souls, each possessed a strong will and power folded into each other as a conglomerate after a frenzy of cannibalization, Hollows of Menos grade and later were not just about hunger anymore, especially those that comprise of a single soul powerful enough to emerge as the dominant will.

Cuerva de Sangre's great ancient age marks her as one of the few, if not first few of Vasto Lordes that emerged from the already rare ranks of adjuchas. And as one of the few and what Cuerva had initially assumed, as a series of natural evolution cycles as the Hollow forms attempt to refine and improve themselves. And as far as she was concerned, as one of the first few, her persistent state of hunger might be an evolutionary throwback that never allowed her to really walk away from her past and a very consistent and real reminder that developed as she may be she must never forget what she came from and what she will devolve back into if she slips back.

But as evolution and will came further down the years, Cuerva's development into Arrancar-hood bestowed further levels of higher-order thinking and a new paradigm of thought as well. Why did she, as a complete Hollow being now still feel the pangs of starvation? This question led her to think further on herself, her own nature. History may have written itself as that all Hollow-kind have an Aspect of Death. Because all Hollows comprise of souls that have faced Death. But perhaps Cuerva was the only if not one of the first few, to really spare some thought wondering the big "Why".

The construction of the Aerie of Slaughter was simply a means of having a place where she could have some peace and quiet for her own thoughts. The tall spires, each of a better build than the last, was a series of thoughts turned into reality as Cuerva built spire after spire in order to make sense of her nesting instinct and the logical conclusion that she must be trying to build a place where she can have a peaceful shelter. The act of building the spires gave her more ideas of how to think, by starting with a foundation and building upward, each failure and redesign symbolises her own intellectual growth and with it a recognition that her starvation was not linked to just the basic of feeding necessities. But so much more than that.

When the Aerie was complete, the attention of the gathered lower Hollows was evident, and with them a clear distinction of those who can fly and those who couldn't. Those that could have access to higher will and intelligence than many of those that spend their time on the dusty ground. And as they gather around her, thinking the isolated being an easy prey they came to learn too why Cuerva desired solitude by paying for their knowledge with their lives and bodies as they were gradually slain and consumed. With the first foolish few that got too close as examples, the others settled themselves around her and built a society right where the Aerie was built. Using Cuerva as a living-idol and proof of their superiority they ruled the ground crawlers below them with extreme prejudice. Their own intelligence and cunning allowed a form of hierarchy and society to form in the Aerie. A place meant for a single being's peace became one of the first few civilizations in Hueco Mundo.

Cuerva did not care for that, but as time spent in the company of those that tried to pretend that she was not around yet used her as their unmoving and uncaring figurehead was a curious social experience. The pangs of starvation jumped a few beats everytime one of the Avian Hollows stole a glance at her and quickly averted their eyes when Cuerva's own gaze returned the look. Contemplation on this experience led to the discovery of another starvation, a social kind. And to satisfy that, Cuerva finally moved from her 'alloted space' to interact with the other Avian Hollows, who were more than willing to challenge her when they think her weakened after such an extended period of time of not eating. Well, one benefit of letting Hollows accumulate around her was the ease in finding meals. As she consumed the leadership of the Aerie, she took on leadership responsibilities as the social starvation led to that of power and leadership.

Her time spent in the Aerie alone before that was not fruitless either. The growing understanding of her nature, and the Aspect of Death that she finally figured out led to a development born from understanding oneself. Whatever Cuerva figured out during her retreat and the passing of time was known only to her, but the powers she developed as a result were not a secret.

Fundamental - Embodiment of Shadowy Starvation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Understanding something lets people use it. And knowing oneself allows the greatest usage of energy for the greatest potential. Understanding Starvation as her Aspect of Death allows Cuerva to wrap herself with the very essence of her existence. Appearing as a black dress the inkly shadowy reiatsu turns into protective clothing that enhances Cuerva's appearance as well, infusing a look of predatory hunger in the silken veils of grace and elegance. The less-dark wisps of reiatsu that cling around the more substantial 'dress' are more reactive and agile to Cuerva's senses and will spring around to form a lighter shade of reactive protection.

In mechanical terms, this Fundamental allows Cuerva to clad herself with her reiatsu in a more physical and cosmetic appearance and all attacks that strike at Cuerva have their force of impact or energy output reduced by way of consumption, allowing strong blows to weaken and energy blasts to be depleted some before exploding or discharging. The absorped energy feeds Cuerva directly. This protective clothing and aura cannot completely stop attacks, only weaken them to a relative degree before allowing it through to affect Cuerva's Hierro. As such sufficiently strong attacks will not notice the weakening much and can deal grievous attacks if sufficiently overpowers Cuerva's Hierro as well.

Lesser Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Sustenance: Cuerva can manipulate her reiryoku to produce semi-tangible items that are as small as grapes or as large as oranges in various shapes and details. Colors reproduced are a tint darker in shade. These items are edible, providing sustenance for a full day per item consumed. The price to pay for such supernatural sources of food is that the consumer has to consume twice as much food for two days. Eating these dark substances satisfies the side-effect, but adds the accumulated days of extra starvation to the overal 'debit'. It is very possible to overconsume and literally die from a sudden onset of lethal malnutrition and starvation. At greater level Dark Sustenance can fuel a body for a full week, with a two week 'repayment'. Horrific level allows a full month of sustenance from consuming a single dark sustenance with two months repayment.

Elegant Consumption: Sometimes you want to eat quickly, so quickly that you aren't bothered to even chew your food. Cuerva extends the shadowy dark tendrils of energy from the hem of her 'dress' to unconscious or knocked-out or dead targets. These tendrils give a rough gauge of how badly injured they are and how much spiritual particles and energy they have. If satisfactory, the tendrils proceed to latch and consume the target quickly within seconds. At greater and horrific level Elegant Consumption just increases the amount of targets to feed simultaneously from one target at lesser to two at greater and 4 at horrific. The speed improves according to the level as well.

Shadowy Sustenance: Sometimes there is no purpose in feeding your foes, or subordinates for that matter. This is an alternative version of Dark Sustenance which does not satisfy hunger but may exact the price as if consuming Dark Sustenance.

Illuminate Starvation: Cuerva can cast a sustained light over an area no larger than 30ft radius and any being within this field of light who fails to resist this effect will begin to feel the effects of hunger that increases the longer they remain in the light. This spell is largely effective only against unseated Shinigami and similarly weaker entities.

Mark of Starvation: Using a bit of her reiryoku, Cuerva allows food to wither/rot/dry/spoil at a faster rate. If the mark is drawn on a container holding food all foodstuffs within that container are simultaneously affected. Cuerva's effective area of effect for this power is no larger than 10ft by 10ft. At greater and horrific level the size increases to 20ft by 20ft and 40ft by 40ft respectively.

Follow the Stomach: Cuerva uses this spell in conjunction to her Pesquisa to pinpoint concentrations of food or consumable spirit particles. The range and accuracy of this ability improves with greater and horrific levels.

Greater Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Remove Starvation: With a successful touch from Cuerva and an application of her reiryoku, the struck target loses all sense of hunger and thirst. This ability lasts for one week and can be resisted by spiritual beings of low seated officer level and above. Even when consuming food or drinking water, the taste and sensation of such activity will be altered to be as unpleasant as possible. Water may smell and taste of sewage sludge and food can have the texture of cardboard soaked in mud and such stuff. At horrific level this effect lasts for a month.

Acquired Appetite: Cuerva may use this spell to transform one specific sort of object into food of similar volume or size with perfect replication of texture and taste, but not the nutritional value. When using this spell in conjuction with Dark Sustenance or Shadowy Sustenance, this allows a perfect disguise of the items the lesser spells have wrought. This allows Cuerva to turn bricks into bread, or poison into fine wine. At horrific level this spell makes inedibles edible but removes any changes in taste, texture, smell and the like. It is as though when you are starving enough, even bricks would be edible, furthermore at horrific level this spell has almost no limit in the size of the item to be affected. People can chew through a building if Cuerva affects it so.

Feast for the Gods: Cuerva distills her hunger for food into a refined palate and the ability to memorize all tastes and smell and texture of food she encounters. From this encyclopedic knowledge of food, Cuerva gains the skills of a capable chef as well. This allows her to identify all ingredients and cooking style of the food she tastes and allows her to instantly learn and replicate the success as well. However, beyond that, this spell does not just let Cuerva blindly copy, but also to be creative in cooking and coming up with new dishes if she wishes to as well. This spell allows faster cooking at horrific level.

Energy Stripping: At this level of release, much subtlety would be lost. This spell represents a more brutal form of satisfying hunger by directly stripping reishi particles and energy. Cuerva may attack a single chosen target which her own reiryoku will adjust to the opponent's in order to attempt to strip and pull reishi particles from the target everytime Cuerva draws blood. When this ability is in effect, all Cuerva's weapons have a reddish blood mist tinge. At horrific level this spell affects all targets that Cuerva engages with.

Touch of Starvation: With a successful touch from Cuerva and an application of her reiryoku into this spell, the struck target must consume five times its normal amount of food and water intake or risk starving. During the course of this effect which lasts for a week, food will taste horrible and water will resemble toxic sludge. At horrific levels, this effect will last for a month and allows the target to consume inedibles as well.

Lead by Hunger: An experimental spell created in an attempt to leap beyond the common boundaries of common Starvation. The hunger for victory in battle, and one of the key features of Cuerva's fierce reputation as both a powerful Arrancar and Dark Empress is her ability to reach into the essence of hunger in every Hollow she encounters and direct them to her foes. This spell works by tapping into the primordial hunger of all Hollow-kind and create an impression of a really tempting and tasty target, allowing mindless Hollows to be directed effectively. Against Hollows with some cognitive capacity, having fed on Cuerva's Dark Sustenance lowers their resistance against this spell, otherwise they show greater resistance to being 'suggested' that obviously risky or dangerous targets can be anything but delicious. At Horrific level, this spell's ability calls to battle-hunger and affects any Hollow who wish to be lead into battle, or are involved in a conflict with Cuerva.

Imbue with Starvation: Cuerva can imbue a target with a measure of her reiryoku. By forming up to a maximum amount of five obsidian feathers around the target's skin, usually large areas like the chest, stomach or the back, the seal takes the form of a 5-pointed geometrical shape. Each of these feathers can hold a very large amount of Cuerva's reiryoku. This seal can be used as a boon or a bane, at Cuerva's will, with effects determined during casting and can be unique at each casting. Targets with sufficient spiritual power, like Adjuchas Arrancar and Vice-Captains and above, are able to attempt to resist this spell, forcing Cuerva and her target to be locked in a battle of willpower. With the successful casting of this spell, Cuerva reverts back to her sealed form and is unable to perform a Resurrecion for a week as her essence recovers from a massive expenditure of power and will. At horrific level the seal may erupt into a cascade of inky shadows that envelop the target until it forms into a 8ft tall egg-like structure. The target with the seal will receive a horrific transformation. Hollows below Menos grade in this egg become Avian Hollows, while mortals without awakened reiryoku turn into Hollows. Mortals with spiritual powers turn into a Hollow-hybrid. This spell cannot interact with Shinigami or Hollows of Menos or higher grade, they are simply ripped apart and consumed because their wills are too strong to consume in such a delicate manner. Using this spell knocks Cuerva back into her sealed form and prevents her from performing a Resurrection for a month as her essence attempts to recover from a massive expenditure in an attempt to forcibly consume and regurgitate a digested and altered lifeform.

Horrific Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soul Trap: Whether it is a trait of the reiryoku or for some other reason, some creatures are truly delicious. For Cuerva, these exceptional individuals are likely to be very dangerous and powerful as well. As such, as a symbol of eternal conquest and domination over her more precious foes, this spell is designed to trap the 'trophies' in order to allow Cuerva the luxury of consuming them slowly, whether within her Deglucion Garganta or her mouths. Resistance is difficult for foes of Vice-Captain level, and the resistance increased the more hurt the target is.

Murder of Crows: Cuerva's hungry reiryoku explodes in a shower of inky-black crow-like shapes that fly around in a huge swarm. Individually these reiryoku-constructs are as big as a grown man's palm and they peck and bite a their target just like a school of starving piranha. A rough approximate area this spell covers is roughly 100ft long, wide and tall. They can be struck down and dispersed by attacks equivalent to an unsealed Zanpakuto, but taking them down without the aid of wide-area attacks is too slow to have any significant effect in the short run. They peck and bite as hard as an unsealed Zanpakuto as well, hence allowing this massive swarm to chow down on a target really quickly.

Black Hole of Starvation: This is a spell that when activated created a gravity well for spirit particles centered on a location determined by Cuerva within her line of sight. A small bead of blackness appears on the location, which when determined before the creation, can trigger upon contact or at a timer set at a determined length of time. Either way when the bead triggers, a massive rip in the fabric of reality occurs and an immensely strong suction force pulls all spiritual particles into the center of the effect. Loose particles and inanimate objects that are light and brittle have effectively no chance of resisting, while more solid structures and beings capable of motion can attempt to move out of the area, however only strongly rooted structures and similar creatures can resist the pull. This force generated is equivalent of a devastating hurricane. At the conclusion of this implosion, a perfectly spherical zone of dead-zone (area devoid of any spiritual particles) will remain in the affected area for days and weeks. The size of this effect is about 120ft radius.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]