New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1496
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 18: Peek-a-boo style PAWNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Did we decide whether Reikiku had actually been taught basics of Style 3 or no?

Also, Kids, Kina asked a question earlier.

Also, riccaru, any time you want Nao and Karashi to have their conversation, just post something.
    I thought I posted something. Let me check

edit: Yup, last post on page 49 of the last thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I may have misinterpreted Akira's background. Nick can clarify here.

Well I suppose he could have meant 100+ years ago, and was just rounding off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklance View Post
    I do not understand, who was who more than 100 years ago? If there already was a vice captain at that time, I can always adjust Akira's rank.
    Akira would have had to been vice captain before Takeo (the last 2nd division captain) because h became captain right after the captain before him died. I suppose he could have been VC for a short time, but that doesn't go well with his laziness and inability much. -shrugs-
    Last edited by riccaru; 2011-10-23 at 12:17 AM.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Whoops, missed that in the thread change. Response posted.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    I thought I posted something. Let me check

edit: Yup, last post on page 49 of the last thread.

Well I suppose he could have meant 100+ years ago, and was just rounding off.

Akira would have had to been vice captain before Takeo (the last 2nd division captain) because h became captain right after the captain before him died. I suppose he could have been VC for a short time, but that doesn't go well with his laziness and inability much. -shrugs-
    When Akira was sent off for her 100 year mission, presumably there must be a shift in the chain of command in order to ensure that there are no long term gaps troubling the entire hierarchy. So yeah it is within reason that Takeo stayed as VC for a short time when Akira had to leave.

And bro, you've got a response yet to give for Adam vs Alexander.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [BitP:R] BleachITP Reborn OOC Thread 18: Peek-a-boo style PAWNCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklance View Post
    I think Alice's question has been answered, do check back. If its not, do let me know and we can move that forward.
    I noticed, and I apologise for not having time to post earlier. I will get right to it as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Correct. Nakahiro decided he didn't want to risk further interruptions.
    Does it prevent Misaki from seeing what happens at the table? Not that an infant-sized person jumping onto a table is too weird, but coupled with the bird earlier and the whispering they look a teeny bit suspicious. :3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, a clarification on how the conversation shield works: it does not silence the area contained within. Instead, it causes people outsides to hear a conversation from the inside that matches up with their expectations and makes the group seem uninteresting. Misaki, for instance, listening to the conversation, would hear perfectly reasonable explanations for everything weird she had seen. I apologize for not making this clear.

AnimeKid, I believe this affects you too.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay, sorry about that Dori.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    Awesome! So, should I just jump in, or is there something else I need to do first? And what about my other characters?
    I'll just repost this, since it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
    Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides ("Now you see it, Now you don't.")

All My Characters

CMOT Avvie By Dr. Bath

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CMOTDibbler View Post
    I'll just repost this, since it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
    Have Myojin show up in the hospital. I'll have Taiki visit him to discuss the change in his situation. That should be a suitable reintroduction.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oh yeah tgva I was thinking on something. Basically It was an ability I was thinking of giving Chase. It's not too game braking and the only reason I wanted it was because I was recently watching Naruto and I remembered how awesome Asuma's trench knives are. Basically it would be that Chase's reiatsu reacts positively to weapons, putting them in tune with his body and making him wield them like a pro. You think that others would go for this? It could even be classified under his weapon wield ability.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Oh yeah tgva I was thinking on something. Basically It was an ability I was thinking of giving Chase. It's not too game braking and the only reason I wanted it was because I was recently watching Naruto and I remembered how awesome Asuma's trench knives are. Basically it would be that Chase's reiatsu reacts positively to weapons, putting them in tune with his body and making him wield them like a pro. You think that others would go for this? It could even be classified under his weapon wield ability.
    I don't know about TGVA, but I would STRONGLY advise against taking anything from Naruto if you value your continued existence.

As a breathing, thinking, living being, that is.
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    I know that originality is subjective, but are you sure you aren't able to squeeze even a little bit of original writing out of your characters?
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The reiatsu weapon thing is original I got to thinking about it because of the trench knives. Also I was just going to use trench knives and mabye a few other weapons not an ability from naruto.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Um, I'm not really any authority on such things. Ask the Central 5 if you want an authority, or just ask the OoC in general.

I am a believer that unless you think it will add significant role playing opportunities in the future, don't add it to an already existing character.

In terms of the ability, I don't really understand how you expect this to work. As an inanimate object, a weapon has no special qualities for a reiatsu to "attach" to. Unless it's a special weapon, like a Shinigami Zanpakuto, "connecting" your reiatsu with it probably wouldn't do anything but make the weapon hits stronger. Considering we already have 2 characters who are focused on a "jack of all weapon trades" idea, maybe you should stick with your already existing niche.

Edit: As much a fan as I am from taking material from other series, I'd appreciate it if you did spend time focusing on the 4 characters you've already created for this series in terms of character development, not power development. Powers are actually much less interesting than personalities.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-10-23 at 04:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

mkay. was just wondering

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Orc in the Playground

Plus, that's kinda EXACTLY what Kazuma's Zanpakutou already does in a sense.

AFTER INTENSE, GRUELING TRAINING, which included, I kid you not, wearing a freaking vest made out of Sekkiseki so it'd weight him down all day and he'd have to use his Reiryoku wisely just to get through the day.

Not that I expected you to have readed through nearly 120 pages to know that, but still.

I'm going to give you a thought exercise. I want you to pick every ability from every single source you've ever seen, read or heard about.

And then I want you to imagine something completely different. It has to be a single ability.

Then, I want you to imagine, at the very least, three uses for it.

And finally, I want you to imagine a restriction that may or may not apply to it.

Go.

EDIT: Purely elemental-themed abilities are out.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-10-23 at 04:56 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just some friendly advice which you can chuck out if you don't like them.

While it is true that a character is made interesting because he has interesting powers and skills, those powers and skills are not what makes up a character.

A character can have personality/fate/destiny/racial/national/whatever theme-based powers. But again those powers do not define a character, they only serve to reinforce what a character already is.

Successful characters, those that endure in the world of anime/fiction are those who are personalities before being avatar of powers. Naruto is endearing because of how his childhood made him into a person he is today. It has less to do with holding a 9-tailed fox inside him, or that spammy Rasengan moves he keeps pulling off.

Ichigo isn't popular just because he carries a BFS and fires megaton blasts of energy. He is who he is because of his family tragedy and his interaction with his family members and friends.

So before you start making a character by running to the superpowers Wal-mart and start making China knock-offs, do spend some time thinking about what sort of person you are crafting before you add appropriate powers to them. This way, they feel more alive and responsive than just being power-holding shells of pitiful character building excuses.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Orc in the Playground

In addition, powers typically have some sort of impact on someone's everyday life, for good or for worse. Having powers that no one does, by itself, is already plain weird, which could manifest into any number of personality traits. Some powers just plain screw with your head (Shinigami are textbook headcases. They have almost literally power-giving IDs that turn into swords).

One way I usually work to create a character is to give him or her motivation first. What drives someone, and how, is often the cornerstone upon which one's personality is built.

Look dude, you provide some funny IC moments, don't godmode or murder grammar and capitalization, and that's great. But your character-building skills could use some work. If you're willing to listen, we're willing to give you a few tips. I'm sure with some time spent brainstorming, you could come up with some seriously cool characters. It's not an easy process to learn, but I think you can do it.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay then, I was getting bored anyway. Oh yeah when doing stuff like this I tend to forget the rules of science. So if I unintensionally fail Biology/Physics/Any Science Forever please tell me. Hmm how about

Kinetic build up and release

By making the simplest of motions the user of this power stores a portion of the kinetic energy they create. They can choose to release this energy at any time they desire at a later time

Use 1: Using built up energy from the motions they have been making the person can let loose a burst of kinetic energy from the hands and with practice other parts of the body for an offensive attack

Use 2: By channeling the energy they have stored the person can and send the energy steadily to another part of their body. Ex channeling the energy steadily to the feet for increased speed or to the arms for rapid fire punches.

Use 3: By using the built up energy the person using this power can send the kinetic energy into an object or person and rapidly vibrate their molecules. Depending on the rate of the vibrations the objects/people will either heat up rapidly to insane temperatures or if high enough vibration is present simply fall apart

restriction: This ability is NEVER able to be turned off. This means that the person with this power will always store kinetic energy. This also means that they will HAVE to let of a burst of kinetic energy every now and again lest they become overcharged with energy and burst.

Hows this?

also thx guys. I'm willing to listen if your willing to put up with the fact that sometimes I regress and am a slow learner. I do try my best to learn.
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2011-10-23 at 05:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Orc in the Playground

Well, it's great that you're willing to listen, at the very least.

That sounds a lot like Reiatsu, except motion-related. Also, it sounds a bit like Speedball's power from the New Mutants, but I could be wrong (I get the nagging feeling I've seen it before).

That restriction doesn't sound like a restriction, but rather a boon to the power. Kinetic energy, by definition, is invisible, so he could discharge it in imperceptible ways. Unless he's got something akin to Power Incontinence, it doesn't really get in the way of his everyday life.

It was a good effort, nonetheless.

Now do it again.

Abilities are actually a fairly simple exercise when you think about it. You need to think in terms of how they affect the world, and how deeply. (Flames consume oxygen, for example, but a lighter-sized flame will consume a lot less than a bonfire.)

Some abilities are more or less suited to some people than others. A freezing power that works only by keeping oneself calm is useless for a hothead, for example.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Kuroimaken, I think he would profit more by stepping away from creating power concepts first to focus on creating character concepts.

Kid, you can have a small exercise based on the character registry thread. Look at the characters written so far, see if you can come up with a 50 word summary of a character's personality, whether based on their past or not. You can overshoot that 50 word limit, its fine. Just ignore the powers section.

The purpose of this exercise is after roughly 5 maybe 10 characters later, I hope you can stumble onto really well-written characters that grab your attention. Once that happens, use the summaries you've written and find out what aspects of the character attract you to them. Was it because they have a colorful past? Was it because the characters react really differently despite being through a lot?

Stuff like that. I want you to expose yourself to organic characters, people that you think can exist in the real world, before you come and focus on how to write powers, those are really really secondary compared to character-making.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Orc in the Playground

Can't say you don't have a good point, Nick. I was approaching the power angle first because it seemed to be the one that piqued his interest first; it's easier to work with what you're already interested in.

I'll do you one better. When you write those summaries, under no circunstances are you to compare characters to other characters you've already seen in whatever media.

We're playing hardball writing coach here.

*cue Survivor's Burning Heart*

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks. Okay then attempt #2

Dimension Bubbles

This power allows the user to summon dimensional bubbles that have a variety of uses. The power allows access to the infinite dimensions and acts as a crossing between them. The bubbles can also acts a portals to different parts of the same dimension. The bubbles range in size from basketball size for begginers to city sized for masters.

Use 1: One use for the dimensional bubbles is fairly simple. By concentrating the user can materialize a dimensional bubble near and object or enemy and have it suck them into it and transport them to another dimension.

Use 2: The use one power also works in reverse. It would allow the user to pull something from another (or the same) dimension to unleash upon an enemy. For example, got a nasty enemy that won't slow down for anything. Use your handy dandy powers to summon some oil and he'll be slipping all over the place.

Use 3: This one is a bit trickier. The user can use his/her power to form two dimensional wormholes at once. This technique is rather brutal as anything caught in between the two will be violently ripped apart by the opposing forces trying force them into the opposite bubbles.

Use 4: This power can also allow the user to store items and prisoners in pocket dimensions for holding. However for living beings they will still have to be fed and taken care of two survive.

restriction: This power takes the utmost focus and visualization abilities to be used correctly. Losing concentration for even a second can result in you summoning an eldritch abomination from another dimension instead of a torrent of flame. A less severe and much more likely example is that instead of summoning a slab of rock from the Grand Canyon you will instead summon a great deal of the Pacific Ocean. Also to access specific things from other dimension you will have to at least somewhat explore them and find out what is in them. This brings up the issue of travel between dimensions which requires a lot of focus as well. However if you mess up you will wind up in a place you did not intend.

EDIT: okay I've got time, I'll give your test a shot Nicklance.
    Last edited by AnimeKid; 2011-10-23 at 05:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Orc in the Playground

It's the Portal Gun in bubbles.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

I think if you wanted to go extreme in comparisons, 90% of any super powers we could come up with have already been done somewhere, because the idea of super powers isn't one that we came up with, so when we think of examples we think of things we didn't come up with. It's hard to create anything totally new in a vaccuum. I mean, I don't think any of my characters are totally, completely unique power-wise.

I agree that personality is way more important than powers. While it helps make a character memorable, an interesting power set doesn't make them particularly interesting on its own.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, I believe I haven't seen much of the power sets I've used for my characters... well, anywhere, with a few exceptions. Shishiou is possibly an exception, as I took the whole lightning on the head thing from Reborn's Sawada Tsunayoshi - that said, Tsuna's flaming forehead doesn't actually do anything except tell his enemies he's powered up or is going to use a certain move (something I never see them making use of against him). Subject 1864 is pretty standard gradual shapeshifting.

You have to remember that some overlap with established powers from other characters will be inevitable at some point, because as you've noted, TGVA, the idea of superpowers isn't an original thought in and of itself. That said, even common powers can be given new interpretations. I particularly like what they did with it in Hunter X Hunter and Katekyoshi Hitman Reborn.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first one stablished specific categories for powers and power-building, with some hard limits that characters cannot cross, and establishing that a power needs to be restrictive in use to be great, whereas the second established a set of attributes most characters had innately that they had to contend with and learn how to use properly.

EDIT: Which reminds me. I should look into the possibility of making HxH ITP or something.
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2011-10-23 at 06:38 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay here are some characters that I found interesting

Zaraki Nasumi

This character is interesting due to her personality. The fact is that is does not at all synch up with her past. She is utterly cheerful and had a family renounce her for being who she is. Yet she still finds it in her heart to continue her life of bliss and you can tell because she wears her heart on her sleeves. Most people who went through what she did would have closed themselves off as to not be hurt again. Yet she goes through life just as she always has. I personally find this interesting.

Another I find interesting is Yukimura Seiko.
    He belonged to a noble family of at least some prestige. However where as most would just suck it up and try to please their parents Seiko practiced an art the wouldn't condone in secret and eventually struck out on his own as a shinigami. He opposed his family and kept standing up for his beliefs and didn't back down from them. He even somewhat deceived them which caused him to be disowned once they caught on. Though his lax attitude annoys others he is clearly anything but as shown by his struggles to follow his dream.

One more is Yoshimoto Kina

She has a past that is tear jerking to say the least. However one thing that stands out most in her story is her devotion. She vows that until she masters an art she has practically no talent in and that her father rejected in order for her to be born that she will not seek out her parents. Parents who she has not seen since childhood. She puts herself through heartache and who knows how much stress because she wants to make her grandfather proud and remain loyal to him and his ways. Her kindness and loyalty drawing her to friends that will help her along the way. Because of this she will go far because her loyalty to them will be repaid equally in kind.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Orc in the Playground

So. What does that initially tell you? Seems to me all these characters have a draw in common.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

It seems like they all overcome adversity whether internal or external. In the process they don't let it dramitically change them because they know who they are and are okay with that. They don't want to change because they don't have any reason to change. Just try harder, at least I think?

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Orc in the Playground

I feel it's more like the level of adversity they face and the attitude they face it with are at odds. Granted, Kina is very shy about a number of things, but this is mostly from her grandfather's repression, and she's otherwise very brave, even if she doesn't realize it. Nasumi practically acts like the bad things she's been through didn't even happen to her. And Seiko deliberately acts like the opposite of what's expected of him. They're all either going through some character development now or slated for a measure of character development in the near future, too.

Exploring this kind of conflict seems to be an enjoyable point for you. So take Jiro, for example: how does he work into something like that? Or rather, CAN he work with something like that?

(Which reminds me, Kayne: if you want Seiko to talk to Kazuma about beating the everloving daylights outta Jiro that's fine by me.)

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

huh never thought about it like that before. Okay then, so an example for Jiro could be like after the beat down from Kazuma. After his talk with Kazuma he realizes he doesn't have to be as loud as he usually is to get others to notice him. Nor does he have to be some fighting god. Those who create are remembered more than those who destroy. Now it's about finding out who and what he can be rather than just about gaining power.

Like that?