New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 39 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Young Justice (Spoilers)

Young Justice returns in one week! So I thought I'd put up a new thread for the show

Anybody excited for this? I realize that episode 10 was leaked online months ago, but the fact that YJ is returning to the airwaves at all makes me excited. I'm really enjoying the show, having enjoyed everything Greg Weisman has worked on thus far, and I continue to be excited to see where the show is going.

For the purposes of this thread, I'm going to ask that we restrict discussion out-of-spoiler-tags to aired episodes only. Any leaked material, like episode 10 is now, or preview material should be discussed in spoiler tags.

Once Episode 10 airs in a week, we can start talking about that now, but I know some people have held off on watching it until it airs officially, a position I respect and one I think this thread should respect as well.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

I like the show. I have no idea where it's going since Weisman has like 18 plotlines going on. Let's see what I can remember, I might forget some things since it's been like seven months since new episodes aired.

Spoiler
    Show
    So there's a mole in the group, which they seem to be pointing at Artemis, but that seems to obvious. I think it's Superboy, and he has some post hypnotic suggestions or something he doesn't know about from the cloning process. Which I actually think would be a nice season finale, spending the whole season of Kon becoming friends with everyone but then someone from The Light shows up and activates his conditioning and he goes to town on the rest of the team. Then after Young Justice breaks him out of it somehow and Kon has a massive guilt trip Superman finally starts acting like Superman and takes him to the Kent farm to recover.

The episode with Aqualad going to Atlantis, the giant thing frozen in the ice was most likely Starro the Conquerer, and since they sent some of the remains to Star Labs, I'm pretty sure that's gonna come back and bite them in the butt.

I can't see the Helmet of Fate not being claimed by someone at some point. And Kent Nelson being voiced by Ed Asner? Awesome.

Artemis has some loyalty issues, which, if you're a big enough comic nerd, is cause
    Spoiler
    Show
    she's Sportsmaster's daughter. And this show made Sportsmaster awesome, somehow.

All of the blatant foreshadowing of Robin becoming leader makes me think Aqualad is going to leave or die.

And the episode in Bialya ended with Boom Tubes. So Darkseid and Apokolips.

Spoiler
    Show
    And apparently there is going to be an episode written by Peter David with Secret in it. And that's awesome for anyone like me who read the Young Justice comics.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Really looking forward to it. I think I might see about rewatching the episodes that have already aired.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Really looking forward to it. I think I might see about rewatching the episodes that have already aired.
    You know, I should probably do that too. I've only seen each of them once, and most of that was so many months ago now...

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5

As a side note, has anyone read those YJ spin-off comics? Not the DCU comics that the show is very loosely based off of, but the comics that are in-continuity with the show.

They any good?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I am maybe a terrible person in that I have been steadily hooking anyone I can on Young Justice. First victims, my roommates. Next: the world? I can only hope.

Maybe if there's enough new interest they won't mess with the airing schedule again.

Not like I have the right to complain, I mean, I didn't even meet the show until Augustish. I can't even imagine what it's like for those of you who've been waiting since Marchish. o__o

(I know nothing about the comics, regrettably, but am definitely if dubiously interested. I'd similarly be curious to hear word on them.)
    Last edited by Makari; 2011-09-10 at 01:57 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    As a side note, has anyone read those YJ spin-off comics? Not the DCU comics that the show is very loosely based off of, but the comics that are in-continuity with the show.

They any good?
    I did, and from what I recall they weren't that bad

And I got from those comics that on Earth 16 the flashs didn't get their powers by insanely unlikely lightning hits. (Well Jay never got his powers this stupidly)

Instead both Barry and Wally had reproduced Jays original experiment and got their powers that way.
    (I hope Jay learned his lesson and now locked the formula somewhere where nosy kids can't find it)
    Remember: I'm always right.
    Unfortunately reality tends to make mistakes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I never had a problem with how Barry got his powers, sometimes one in a million things happen. The problem was the Wally got them the exact same way. The exact same lab, next to the exact same rack of chemicals.

9. - Top - End - #9

Well, if the results of the event were duplicatable, then him being in the exact same lab with the exact same rack of chemicals would increase the the chance of a similar event with similar results happening.

Also, the Speed Force Did It

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Which is a weak explanation.
    That also was retroactively invented 30 years later or so.

And they only had to come up with a new way as in the early days Jay was supposed to be from a different earth.

Now if you put them into the same continuity it makes sense that they copied the original experiment.

Especially considering that they needed an explanation for Wally, and the double strike of lightning was a bit much.
    Remember: I'm always right.
    Unfortunately reality tends to make mistakes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Makari View Post
    Maybe if there's enough new interest they won't mess with the airing schedule again.
    From my understanding, the reason for the lengthy hiatus was because the episodes weren't completed yet. Even if the show was topping American Idol in popularity, they can't air what they don't have.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-09-12 at 02:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    From my understanding, the reason for the lengthy hiatus was because the episodes weren't completed yet. Even if the show was topping American Idol in popularity, they can't air what they don't have.
    This seems a bit untrue, given the updates Greg Weisman has been giving about the show's production.

As soon as May 12th, episodes 10 and 11 were ready to be aired (with episodes 12 and 13 in post-production). As soon as July 15, 10-15. As soon as the first of August? 10-18.

Weisman himself has said that the delays are not because of production slowness on his end, but because of decisions of the network.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

On top of what kpenguin said, episode 10 was leaked to the internet months ago, so not only has that one been ready, it somehow got out long before the show's resumption.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    On top of what kpenguin said, episode 10 was leaked to the internet months ago, so not only has that one been ready, it somehow got out long before the show's resumption.

Zevox
    The episode was accidently uploaded to the video section of Young Justice's cartoon network page. It was only up for a few hours, but it was long enough for the internet to grab it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, it officially aired tonight...
    Spoiler
    Show
    And I thought Mercy as a robot was a nice touch. And the Luthor/Ra's team-up.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Auuughh I Missed it! Noooo! Stupid forgetfulness. And watching Justice League on youtube.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I liked the episode. Especially the school time part.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Was she actually a robot? I thought it was just her arm that was robotic.
    This seems a bit untrue, given the updates Greg Weisman has been giving about the show's production.

As soon as May 12th, episodes 10 and 11 were ready to be aired (with episodes 12 and 13 in post-production). As soon as July 15, 10-15. As soon as the first of August? 10-18.

Weisman himself has said that the delays are not because of production slowness on his end, but because of decisions of the network.
    Cartoon Network likely wanted to have a good number of episodes ready before they aired them so they'd be able to air them on their own terms rather than airing one or two and then being forced to wait for the next one. And I can't blame them at all for that. So yeah, I do blame production slowness. Though, admittedly, it may be that Cartoon Network decided to start airing too early, rather than waiting for when they had a better quantity.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2011-09-16 at 09:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Was she actually a robot? I thought it was just her arm that was robotic.
    I dunno. Luthor doesn't strike me as a man who goes by half-measures, though.

Either way, it's good to have a sort of subtle-evil-genius Luthor. Much as I like classically hammy villains, it's a guy like this that I see being the kind that holds onto corporate holdings despite being one of Big Blue's nemeses.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Megan as a cheerleader is scaring me. Why is Superboy so bad at the logic anyway? Did he really think that kid was Power Ring?(Or whatever the kid is who has Green Lantern-like powers.)
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-09-16 at 11:50 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Megan as a cheerleader is scaring me. Why is Superboy so bad at the logic anyway? Did he really think that kid was Power Ring?(Or whatever the kid is who has Green Lantern-like powers.)
    He is only about 20 weeks old, and all the information downloaded into his head was specifically for his use as a weapon for the light against Superman. Which means any information on how interact socially comes from other costume wearing or insignia wearing people, all the information he has learned it he has learned in the last 4 weeks, and he is a teenager (not the most logical demographic).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Did he really think that kid was Power Ring?[/COLOR]
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Remember, he basically born and rapidly aged inside a test tube, so his conceptions of how society works are... a bit simplistic, to put it lightly.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

There was so many good things about this episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roy being awesome. Sportsmaster being awesome. Luthor and Mercy being awesome. Ra's just being there is awesome.

Way too many kids at that high school appear to be superheros. And Snapper Carr is there.

Megan tried way to hard to hide the fact that she's actually a white Martian. "I'm totally a green Martian." If she had been talking to someone not Connor, they might actually pick up on it.

My favorite part was probably when Roy had tracked Cheshire and Sportsmaster back to there meeting place unnoticed and then Ra's comes out and spots him almost instantly. That's why he's the head of the League of Assassins.
    Last edited by Hands_Of_Blue; 2011-09-17 at 12:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the Ra's reveal. I was like, "Wait, is that? I think that's Ra's al Ghul..."

Then basically as soon as Red Arrow/Speedy/However-you-want-to-call-him spots him, I had a short little "Yay, I was right"/"Crap, I was right" moment right before Ra's looks directly at him. You don't just sneak up on a Batman villain, pal.

25. - Top - End - #25

Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the Ra's reveal. I was like, "Wait, is that? I think that's Ra's al Ghul..."

Then basically as soon as Red Arrow/Speedy/However-you-want-to-call-him spots him, I had a short little "Yay, I was right"/"Crap, I was right" moment right before Ra's looks directly at him. You don't just sneak up on a Batman villain, pal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even Bats himself doesn't get the drop on Ra's often

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ra's and Bats first meeting was Batman coming home and finding Ra's sitting in the Batcave like he owned the place.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

So, exactly how many villains associated with "The Light" are we on now anyway? I count:

Cadmus
    Those guys behind the Red Tornado-esque bot.
    Kobra
    Sportsmaster
    The League of Shadows, lead by Ra's al Ghul
    Cheshire
    Black Manta
    That psychic guy from the desert episode (don't recall him ever being named).
    Darkseid, or someone else from Apokalypse (Boom Tubes from the end of the desert episode.)
    Lex Luthor

Which is quite a list. In fact, I think the only villains we've seen so far that haven't been indicated to be involved with "The Light" were the scientist who created the superhero-copying bot and that "Lord of Chaos" kid and his lackey from Doctor Fate episode. And I wouldn't be surprised if the former was working for them.

Zevox

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

That psychic guy from the desert episode (don't recall him ever being named).
    Psimon. I seem to recall him saying "Psimon says" in the episode, but unless you're watching with captions on it's pretty impossible to know there was a p there.

the scientist who created the superhero-copying bot
    Professor Ivo

"Lord of Chaos" kid and his lackey from Doctor Fate episode.
    Klarion, bum bum BUM, the Witch Boy.

Icicle, Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold are probably in the Light as well, seeing how Batman noticed it was odd that three ice themed villains were attacking simultaneously.

Vandal Savage could be in the Light. Well, unless Ra's already filled their quota on immortal sociopaths.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Icicle, Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold are probably in the Light as well, seeing how Batman noticed it was odd that three ice themed villains were attacking simultaneously.
    Ah, so the one Green Arrow and Speedy handled was named Icicle. I'd never seen him before, and they didn't use his name.

Good point though, I'd forgotten about those three. Being as they haven't been mentioned since the first three minutes of the first episode, an easy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Vandal Savage could be in the Light. Well, unless Ra's already filled their quota on immortal sociopaths.
    Um, based on what, exactly? He hasn't shown up in the show yet.

Zevox

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Joke. Bad one I guess.

But now that I think about it, I can't remember any instances of Ra's and Savage interacting in comics. Huh.