New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

A couple of days ago, I actually checked out the series and watched it through (mostly in one sitting!)

I'm impressed, that was pretty good indeed. Bonus points for including Miss Martian, who I took a liking to in the comics, before the reboot. I like the feel of everything being part of a bigger, active world (I loved that about Justice League).

I rather like this take on Robin, more so than in Teen Titans (the cartoon), as he's got that little bit more levity to him - and yet, he also has a lot of maturity (wise enough to know he's not quite ready for command yet.)

Looking foward to tomorrow's episode, though how long it'll be before I can watch it is another matter...!

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, we actually got a new episode this week.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it was pretty obvious from early on that those beams weren't actually killing their targets. Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. Not sure why they tried the fake-out with Martian Manhunter "remembering" that the beams were disintegration, not teleportation, especially after Aqualad and Superboy's deaths had been added to that.

Still, didn't think they'd go the "it was all a dream" (or psychic coma/training exercise, as the case may be) route, so I guess there was that surprise. Still, it ends up feeling a bit like an excessive way to spend an episode basically just to tell us that Miss Martian's powers are far greater than they appear. Well, and to make the Kid Flash/Artemis pairing even more obvious I guess, given how much they focused on his reaction to her demise.

So yeah, eh. An okay episode I guess, but those kind of endings always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it was rather a clever episode, actually.

It was obvious for the first ten seconds that they weren't really going to have killed the Green Lanterns, more so when they killed off everyone else - and the writers knew we would know this; mirrored in the fact like the Titans...sorry, I just typed that out of habit!, ah, Young Justice knew at the start it was a training exercsie, so didn't react much to the deaths until Artemis. (Which, in hindsight, was rather clever.)

It was merely a question of how they were going to resolve it - either teleporting, it-was-a-dream or time-travel. My first thought was the teleportation, which is why I was smugly congratualting myself when they brought it up, only to be brought up short when they said, "actually, no it isn't..." (So I thought, "it's going to be time travel, then...?)

Incidently, it's been said that this sort of thing is actually used in real military excercises. That is, that if you put a big enough shock in, it jars the troops into, if not thinking it's real, at least into reacting as if it was on a more-or-less subconcious level.

Also, I think it was worth it for the follow-up in the most recent episode. I love that they link each episode literally into each other, and that for the frist time I can ever think of, we have a literal timescale of these events.

The group's counciling session was fascinating, more so than the main story. (Superboy is probably my least favourite of the crew and I wasn't overly struck on him in the comics either, on reason I didn't pursue Titans in the reboot - they'd taken out all the characters I liked.)

I was particulary struck by Robin's session. That struck really true with me, so much so I had to pause the video for a moment or two, while I digested that. For me, it was rather a powerful moment (and that, frankly is impressive work to get a reaction like that out of me.) It also cemented him as being my favourite character in this series.

I also loved the fact that is was the team's youngest member who arguably acted the most mature about the councilling; it bugs me a bit everytime we see on a show or something the recipient of the counciling always shrugs it off, especially when it's clear they really do need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked J'onn's line to Bats at the begining, "Trauma tends to linger as I know you know, my friend."

Also M'gann's session with Canary interesting. "You've turned white." Hah.
    As someone familiar with M'gann from the comics, I totally snerked at that one!

Spoiler
    Show
    You're Green Martian, Megan? Suuurrre you are!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-11-17 at 09:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

So, tomorrow's episode sees the return of Zatanna. Since I thoroughly enjoyed her portrayal in Humanity, I look forward to this.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

This was a nice episode. Bit late for the whole "Halloween episode" thing though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *looks for 3 seconds*
    So, how long has Conner and Megan been a thing?
    That was hilarious.
    The school's Halloween party was awesome too (Superman. Done right), and the Bat-mask. Love the "everyone but the heroes dress as heroes" thing, though why NOBODY dresses as say... Catwoman and Batman...

Harm was fun, but reminded me of some kind of Mortal Kombat-Generator Rex villain crossbreed. The whole "call everything an 'it'" was annoying, but also cool. Artemis beating random goons was a nice little montage too, I really liked this episode. (Just like every other one. Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuur :P)
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-11-18 at 08:04 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Harm actually originates in...the original Young Justice comic book series.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_%28comics%29

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #275
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Created by Peter David, who actually wrote this episode. I really liked this episode, although I wish Secret had done more.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Bruce Greenwood is doing surprisingly well as Batman. He's definitely number 2 behind Conroy.

Also,
    http://kdingo.net/champ/pics/main.php?g2_itemId=12198
    Last edited by KingofMadCows; 2011-11-19 at 02:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

WOW what a very dark episode for a kids TV show. Seems like it was meant to fall on Halloween but the season delays pushed it back.

What was with Robin's odd reaction to Aqualad saying "I have fought side by side with these people. None are traitors" ?
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Banned

Had no idea Harm was voiced by the same guy who did Eddie Brock.

Anyone else sniggered a little when Marvin was attacked by the "martian"?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    WOW what a very dark episode for a kids TV show. Seems like it was meant to fall on Halloween but the season delays pushed it back.
    I'm pretty sure DC knows who their primary demographic is, and are only marginally toning it down from the tone the comics generally have. (Given how the recent Green Lantern animated movie was waaaay more bloody and violent than the live-action movie...!)

I like it, myself.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm hitting myself in the head about the traitor issue, as no-one seems to have thought that it necessarily has to be a person (heck, I'm half-convinced it's Sphere, though it could even be Wolf, for that matter, let alone one of Wally's trophies.) And c'mon Bats, if you're gonna suspect Conner of programming, given how many the team have been knocked out, who's to say any of 'em aren't subconciously being controlled by the bad guys... Have we checked for that yet? No, we haven't...!

It was nice to see Conner showing something other than anger/angst for once, and that apparently he does have a sense of humour.

Though seriously, Megan did you really have to slam him into the wall hard enough to break it? I mean, ouch! It was a prank right? Invulnerablility aside, that had to have hurt...! I'm sort of impressed they'd go that far for a counter-prank actually!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't be Wolf. He hadn't joined yet.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Can't be Wolf. He hadn't joined yet.
    Hadn't he? Okay then. Nevermind. I did watch the about episodes 1-15 or so back to back, and the last few the following morning, so I didn't really stop to ruminate too hard on them.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

What was with Robin's odd reaction to Aqualad saying "I have fought side by side with these people. None are traitors" ?
    FORESHADOWING!

It seems Captain Marvel is officially comic relief...and I love it!

Also, I was listening to this when the episode started. Coincidence.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hadn't he? Okay then. Nevermind. I did watch the about episodes 1-15 or so back to back, and the last few the following morning, so I didn't really stop to ruminate too hard on them.
    Given when he was picked up whose to say Sportsmaster didn't mean they were "about" to introduce a spy into the mix?

Did anyone catch the explanation for Megan's presence?

Given her expanded telepathic abilities whose to say she isn't the plant?

And she could literally not know if they handle that part properly!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What the hell kind of a superpower is ten-finger typing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #285
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    HEART!!!

(that's what)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I heard that it was delayed because of clone wars... which might make sense seeing as the new episodes of Young Justice didn't start up till the same day as clone wars; could be cartoon network wanted to pack all those new episodes together... the result? a halloween episode that is 3 weeks late.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    Plausible.
    At a guess? He knows that reasoning's crap but he wasn't comfortable calling it out. After all, given one possibility explicitly mentioned is that Superboy is a mole without even knowing it himself, the fact that he's a trustworthy comrade in arms doesn't really do anything to rule out the possibility.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Banned

So did anyone not get the gag about the form Miss Martian took? (Their reason for invading Earth? It was blocking their view of Venus.)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Banned

Marvin being attacked by a Martian? That was so obvious no one cares :p also I mentioned it earlier

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I hope they do more with Secret. She' pretty important in the comics.

Spoiler
    Show
    The final arc in the comics was about Doug Side trying to recruit Secret as his magic expert.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

You know, I jokingly suggested in the past that Robin might actually be the mole.
    I said it in jest.
    Now, I start to wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    Anyone else sniggered a little when Marvin was attacked by the "martian"?
    I did.

It's the power of Wikipedia Vandalism.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

22. - Top - End - #292
    Banned

Well, when you're the Ten-Eyed Man, it's useful.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by irenicObserver View Post
    Well, when you're the Ten-Eyed Man, it's useful.
    Actually, the Ten-Eyed Man can't type. Doing anything with his fingertips was his ultimate weakness, really. He could cripple himself by washing his hands.

Other than that, he was nearly invincible. I mean, he could see in all directions at once! There's no way you could sneak up on him! The only other person who approached that level of power in the DC universe was Turn Around Really Fast Man.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I lol'd at how "Superman done right" was the comics version of Superboy.

Also, on the topic of lame superpowers related to the number 10, the most recent final boss of a Touhou game had the power to "listen to ten people at once". Except that this lets her hear the "ten desires" which constitute the personality of any person. So yeah.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-11-21 at 03:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

I was wondering why no-one had commented on the new episode yet (and why I couldn't find it), until I realised they'd skipped a week... Never gonna get used to that practise - over here (probably because of the delay) we usually get stuff consistently (except for shows on the children's channels, where we get them shown for a brief period of about half a season daily over the course of two weeks and then a long gap, and, if they ever dain to show the rest of the series, you never managed to catch the new episodes and have I mentioned that the UK children's channels suck at non-random programming?)

And then I realised this time, it's probably with good reason because of that strange US holiday related to turkeys and politeness or somesuch...!

*dives for cover*
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-11-26 at 09:36 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Banned

No new episode last night!? Probably for the best. I was out for several hours and only got home at 10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And then I realised this time, it's probably with good reason because of that strange US holiday related to turkeys and politeness or somesuch...!
    It's not so much that day as the day after, where after a day designated for you to be thankful for what you have, you immediately dive into the deepest depths of human greed as people shoot others in order to get that TV that's half-off for one day only...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2011-11-26 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KingofMadCows View Post
    I hope they do more with Secret. She' pretty important in the comics.

Spoiler
    Show
    The final arc in the comics was about Doug Side trying to recruit Secret as his magic expert.
    Honestly, I kind of hope that they don't.

The episode as a whole was fine, but Harm and Secret were immensely uninteresting characters. I did enjoy Zatanna and Artemis reacting to them, but they themselves... ehn.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Honestly, I kind of hope that they don't.

The episode as a whole was fine, but Harm and Secret were immensely uninteresting characters. I did enjoy Zatanna and Artemis reacting to them, but they themselves... ehn.
    I agree. Harm and Secret were a good one-shot story but I have absolutely no interest in seeing them ever again in YJ.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

So, apparently they're on another extended hiatus. I was checking Wikipedia's episode list to see when the next is set to air, and lists the rest of season 1 as airing at some point in 2012. What the heck is it with this show and hiatuses? Cartoon Network screwing with things - perhaps to delay the rest of the episodes to play at the same time as the Green Lantern cartoon launches or somesuch? Or are that just that many delays getting the episodes made?

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis