New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839
Results 1,141 to 1,143 of 1143
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    . Taking down Black Beetle quickly at the start then focusing on automated devices as the threat is just not as exciting as an actual villain fight for the final showdown.
    Speaking of that.
    Does killing Black Beetle's beetle count as murder? They seem sentient.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Troll in the Playground

No; it counts as war, or at the very least, self-defence. Black Beetle is an enemy combatant, who was attempting to kill Blue's scarab; it was proportionate retaliation. Black was just less resistant to the same attack method, as he was 'on mode' instead of symbiotic with his scarab like Jamie is (which likely made Blue's retailiation more powerful, too).

(Also, it's entirely possible that Black's scarab wasn't sapient (which is the word you're looking for, not sentient) due to having, presumably, never been 'crashed'.)
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2013-03-20 at 10:39 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Troll in the Playground

Even the crashed Blue Scarab, early on, doesn't display much in the way of sentience. It doesn't do anything that a tactical database with a voice command couldn't - "Situation X occurs, suggest solution Y."

It doesn't adapt "Solution Y" to the fact that Jamie clearly and obviously prefers some solutions to others, or make allowances for a certain style of combat, or learn not to suggest things that its symbiote dislikes, or anything that would indicate learning or emotions. It barely displays life, let alone sentience.

It doesn't display any real kind of learning until after it is dominated by the Reach itself, when it acknowledges that it might have been comfortable with Hymie after all. I honestly think of it as being closer to a pet than a sentient being.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.