New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

I thought it was a nice touch obliquely confirming the existience of Krypto in the Earth-16 universe.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

I hated the Apes reference. If you're going to censor out the damn, don't do it. KF, I love ya, but you're killing me.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I have no idea who that is, I thought it was a Tony the Tiger reference.

The Planet of the Apes line was also amusing.
    In the comics Tawky is a well mannered tiger that walks upright and dresses in a suit (sometimes a tuxedo) and he's well mannered and (wikipedia says) he can turn into a smilodon--

--and that's why DC needs to really take advantage of the Captain Marvel franchise.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Well, i must say i have been a fan of Tawky for a while, mostly due to his awesome quote (from Trials of Shazam i belive)

"Well, you do know what those who underestimate Tigers allways say, right?"
    "what?"
    "They scream "Oh God, help me, im being mauled to death by a tiger""

Brilliant
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2011-10-12 at 08:17 AM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

So, watching the episode live this week. A question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, Zatarra is just a male version of Zatanna I'm guessing? Is he in the normal DC lineup, or did they decide to go rule 63 with Zatanna in the show's universe for some reason?

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Watchin' the new episode. Haven't seen a full new episode in like 3 weeks. Been busy.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, watching the episode live this week. A question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, Zatarra is just a male version of Zatanna I'm guessing? Is he in the normal DC lineup, or did they decide to go rule 63 with Zatanna in the show's universe for some reason?

Zevox
    I'm not live watching, but to answer your question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is an existing character, and is in fact Zatanna's father.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2011-10-14 at 06:02 PM.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

8. - Top - End - #128
    Banned

Anyone think the version of the Joker is kind of weak? I can't quite say why, but I think the depiction of him in the show is one of the worse.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I'm not live watching, but to answer your question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is an existing character, and is in fact Zatanna's father.
    Huh, okay then.

On the episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lots of fun this one. I think it's the first time the group has had a stand-up fight with some real supervillains, rather than assassins like Cheshire or powerless-but-skilled guys like Sportsmaster. Good action, and I like how the "Injustice League" was used as a ploy by the Light to make the heroes think they'd caught the conspiracy just as they were catching on to its existence.

Didn't see the Doctor Fate twist coming, I must say. I guess Aqualad makes the most sense for a member of the team to use the helmet, since he is trained in sorcery. He's not a suitable candidate for a permanent Doctor Fate though, and is fortunate that Fate let him go.

Also nice to know that Aqualad and Robin have caught on to Superboy and Miss Martian being a couple, while Kid Flash and Artemis haven't.

Oh, and Robin never made up any meaningless words in this one! Yay! I'm a happy camper there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Anyone think the version of the Joker is kind of weak? I can't quite say why, but I think the depiction of him in the show is one of the worse.
    *shrugs* I've never been a fan of the Joker to begin with, so I largely can't say. I did at least like one of his jokes though, the quasi-fourth-wall-break "that last one may not be a word."

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2011-10-14 at 06:19 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

This show is spectacular. Best superhero animation we've had since JLU at its height (Cadmus arc) in my opinion.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    This show is spectacular. Best superhero animation we've had since JLU at its height (Cadmus arc) in my opinion.
    I dunno... Brave and the Bold delivers so much concentrated Silver Age I don't know how I survived the Space Ghost opener.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Dangit this is the ONE time I miss an episode live and its the one with Joker in it. Hurry up and get online episode! I wanna see Joker!!! /agh

Space Ghost was hilarious. Aquaman cant count goons very well, can he. 100 isn't an ARMY, its a small gang.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-10-14 at 07:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I dunno... Brave and the Bold delivers so much concentrated Silver Age I don't know how I survived the Space Ghost opener.
    I hate The Brave and the Bold. It just feels like a step backwards in my opinion.

Big fan of YJ however, I also felt the joker was weak. Can't we make it a law that only Mark Hamil can play the joker.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
    I hate The Brave and the Bold. It just feels like a step backwards in my opinion.
    A step backwards from what? (Other than from whatever age of comic books it is (apparently Modern?) back to a delightful distillation of and homage to the Silver Age, up to and including the infamous issue covers.)

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

I love Brave and the Bold. OUTRAGEOUS Aquaman, and the "Joker's Son" episode.... damn scary. Damn damn scary. Anyone have a link to Young Justice online? I can never find reruns of any of the episodes on Cartoon Network.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I think the problem is that he's under played. He has a certain lack of presence. He didn't really have any great dialogue or jokes and he was lacking a real killer laugh... there have been many jokers, but no matter how well they do, Hammil's joker laugh is what will always keep him on top. You want a good joker, you got to nail the laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
    Y'know I used to not care for brave and the bold... but then I found myself having trouble finding fault with a series that would gives us the DC heroes singing musical numbers, Abraham lincoln fighting a steam punk powered john wilk's booth, and a bird's of prey song written by Gail simone that never aired in the US because of all the innuendos... the show KNOWS how corny it is and knows just how to make the most of it to give people a good time; its just plain fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I love Brave and the Bold. OUTRAGEOUS Aquaman, and the "Joker's Son" episode.... damn scary. Damn damn scary. Anyone have a link to Young Justice online? I can never find reruns of any of the episodes on Cartoon Network.
    You can just try google... really, its not all that hard to find episodes for newer shows
    Last edited by slayerx; 2011-10-14 at 08:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

I know. Just takes a few hours for it to get up, and I want it 2 hours ago!
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

It'll probably be on Youtube tomorrow.

And if it's not Hamill, it's not The Joker.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

K, watched it. Was up at 8:00.
    I really liked Dimaggio's Joker, though Hamill had an epic voice, I never liked his Joker's FACE. Was kinda... I dont know, it changed alot and wasnt really that scary to me. The Batman Beyond Joker is my favorite though, Hamill sends shivers down my spine everytime I watch it.

On the episode,
    Spoiler
    Show
    who was the guy talking at the end? Why is the stupid Witchboy a ringleader of the Light? And stupid French Brain too. I hope Lex kills those guys off soon, I don't really see them as leading villain awesome.
    Good thing that the team noticed that Wally keeping Dr. Fate for no real reason was a BAD idea, or somebody would have died. What even gave KF the apparently completely true belief that Nabu would never let them go ever, could have been explained though. Nabu is known as a good guy for a reason.
    Oh, yeah. ULTRA-HUMANITE SAY SOMETHING. YOU ARE AWESOME VILLAIN DO SOMETHING COOL.

On the Joker in show: Seems more like a guy who randomly quotes/paraphrases famous movies, though his Jokergas lines and apparent competency are quite awesome. Quite awesome and cool. Whose the guy whose talking talking at the end again, though?
    Fate is a bit of a drama queen.FATE HAS INTERVENED!
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-10-14 at 10:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What even gave KF the apparently completely true belief that Nabu would never let them go ever, could have been explained though. Nabu is known as a good guy for a reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would be his personal experience with it, from the end of the Doctor Fate episode, when Nabu nearly refused to give him back control of his own body. Nabu was convinced that Doctor Fate was needed badly, and he did not want to return to being idle, at all. It was only by Kent pointing out Kid Flash's lack of magical talent and by promising to find a permanent new owner for the helmet that they convinced him to give Kid Flash back his body.

Given that, there was every reason to believe that he wouldn't surrender control of Aqualad, especially since Aqualad does possess an affinity for magic, negating one of the strongest arguments they had against him keeping control of Kid Flash.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2011-10-14 at 10:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Why is the stupid Witchboy a ringleader of the Light?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord of Chaos. Kind of a big deal.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

On the episode,
    Spoiler
    Show
    who was the guy talking at the end?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume it was Vandal Savage.

I loved all the hero cameos during the big fight. Plastic Man, Captain Atom, Guy friggin Gardner, Blue Devil. I can't place the chick with the purple glow or the guy who caught the helicopter though.

Also, pretty sweet Plan B.
    Last edited by Hands_Of_Blue; 2011-10-15 at 12:26 AM.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yes, I loved Guy's cameo during the Justice League vs giant plants fight. Flying around nice and leisurely, like floating on his back in a pool, while rescuing people - yeah, that's Guy all right. Plus it brings the Green Lantern count in the Justice League of this universe to 3, with Hal and John having been seen before. I wonder if Kyle will have a cameo sometime later to complete the set?

Zevox

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully Klye and Alan Scott.

Oh man, if they had more people from the Justice Society besides Jay Garrick's cameo, that would be sweet.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully Klye and Alan Scott.

Oh man, if they had more people from the Justice Society besides Jay Garrick's cameo, that would be sweet.
    Weren't there quite a few in the first episode. Or maybe it was the second.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So who exactly are the Light? I recognize the Brain, Luthor and the little wizard kid who we saw before, but not anyone else. Luthor is the only one that doesn't look goofy though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume it was Vandal Savage.

I loved all the hero cameos during the big fight. Plastic Man, Captain Atom, Guy friggin Gardner, Blue Devil. I can't place the chick with the purple glow or the guy who caught the helicopter though.

Also, pretty sweet Plan B.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chick with the glow was Rocket, and the dude was Icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So who exactly are the Light? I recognize the Brain, Luthor and the little wizard kid who we saw before, but not anyone else. Luthor is the only one that doesn't look goofy though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    According to this, and some of my recognition, The Light (possibly also now calling themselves "The Secret Society") has a roster of the following:
    Vandal Savage
    Ra's al Ghul
    Alexander "Lex" Luthor
    Queen Bee
    Orm "Ocean Master" Marius
    Brain
    Klarion "the Witch Boy" Bleak

Which makes me wonder how they're going to keep focus on the kids. I mean, I think Young Justice is quite capable, but there's a point where, to me, it feels like it might start devaluing the older heroes if 6-7 teens win every major battle. Now, that said, I think this last episode did a pretty good job balancing it. The team held their own, but they needed backup from the League to totally stop the Injustice League.

Considering this Justice League has 3 Superman-level heroes (Superman himself, Captain Marvel, Icon), at least 3 Green Lanterns, and Martian Manhunter (who is likely at least a powerful shapeshifter and telepath, possibly also having powers nearly equaling Superman), let alone anyone else, Earth-16 is a world of heavy hitters. I hope Young Justice worries more about covert ops (they've been good on that so far, but I'm a bit cautious about where they're going with this Light plot).

That said, I also hope YJ gets power boosts. Adding one or two members would help, and poor Superboy getting some gentle boosts wouldn't hurt. It is hard to gauge how powerful the setting as a whole is, though.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is hard to gauge how powerful the setting as a whole is, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's DC, and it looks like all the stops have been pulled out with this Justice League, so I'd say the power level is sufficiently ridiculously high. They have teleportation systems, Batman has a Nighthawk-inspired Batplane, Robin carries enough explosives to level a supersized tree...

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I think the problem is that he's under played. He has a certain lack of presence. He didn't really have any great dialogue or jokes and he was lacking a real killer laugh... there have been many jokers, but no matter how well they do, Hammil's joker laugh is what will always keep him on top. You want a good joker, you got to nail the laugh
    Yeah, I was getting that vibe too. The Joker from Brave and the Bold seems more terrifying and he's played for laughs mostly. I think he the writers are trying to hard to make him the Heath Ledger version (they even gave him a knife). He just doesn't have the right comedic-psychotic edge to him.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a reason Hamil is the best Joker. mARK HAMil.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!