New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Is there a new ep this week?
    Yep! This Friday a new Young Justice and new Thundercats.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've been enjoying this show a lot. The more coherent feel they seem to be going for, and the implication of a lot of backstory that we just weren't witness to (e.g., most first appearances of a villain are not that villain's origin story) are an interesting change of pace from other DC animations. It doesn't hurt that the lineup reminds me of the 2003+ Teen Titans, which I also enjoyed. So far the only place it's really dropped the ball for me was the "skeptic Kid Flash" episode (and Kid Flash in general being... well, more of a creep than I think we're supposed to think he is). Well, and I thought their Joker was a bit weaksauce.

Captain Marvel as a big kid is awesome. And two episodes in a row now I've mistaken two different superintelligent gorillas for General Grodd. What is it with the DC universe and superintelligent apes? Don't any apes ever get uplifted to average intelligence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Are they still called batarangs when Robin uses them?
    They're called... wingdings. Yeah. (Actually, that might only be for Nightwing's gadgets.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also nice to know that Aqualad and Robin have caught on to Superboy and Miss Martian being a couple, while Kid Flash and Artemis haven't.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the implication of that scene was that Aqualad and Robin see Kid Flash and Artemis as a couple who aren't aware of it themselves yet - just as Aqualad said "I believe I knew it before they did" of Megan and Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Yeah, you got to have someone with the right laugh. That, and they were trying to make him too real. Like, at first I thought it was cool he had a knife, because that's what made the Heath Ledger Joker so creepy. But then I realized something: Nolan's Batman films all take place in a reality like our own. It's super realistic with no superpowers. They're aren't any ray guys or aliens or people that can hurl cars or fly so it makes sense he would carry a knife to torture people. In this reality, well, just pull a knife on Superman or any other member of the Justice League and tell me how it turns out for you. I mean, this isn't our reality. He should be carrying like a raygun or hand-buzzer that shoots out electricity.
    I'd say it's entirely fitting for the Joker to be a very scary guy who does horrible things to people using very simple tools with a smile on his face all the while. Superpowered gimmickry can work, but isn't necessary. He just shouldn't be trying to use a knife on Superman. And he didn't, IIRC (or Superboy or anyone similarly inadvisable).

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    I'd say it's entirely fitting for the Joker to be a very scary guy who does horrible things to people using very simple tools with a smile on his face all the while. Superpowered gimmickry can work, but isn't necessary. He just shouldn't be trying to use a knife on Superman. And he didn't, IIRC (or Superboy or anyone similarly inadvisable).
    But it's not effective. He can do better. Part of being a great character is being effective. Making an impact on their rival. How's he gonna do that with a knife against guys with actual powers or super high tech gear? Wouldn't it be all the more satisfying to see him pull out a huge ray guy and just blow up a building with a smile on his face. I mean, realism is not part of this series (we got aliens and robots) so why is he carrying around a realistic weapon? Sure, it's creepy, but it's only creepy in a gritty realism sense. You don't get that feel when he goes up against Robin who has a hologram computer built into his gloves. I'm just left thinking "this fight would be so much more intense if the Joker had some high tech of his own."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

I mean, realism is not part of this series (we got aliens and robots) so why is he carrying around a realistic weapon?
    That's not how realism works. The presence of aliens and robots does not mean that a knife is not a lethal weapon (though perhaps not to an alien or robot). The absence of aliens and robots does not mean that a knife is an ideal weapon - never mind Superboy or Miss Martian, had Joker been facing a few soldiers with rifles and body armor his knife would have been quite sub-optimal. Joker was effective with the knife, unless I'm misremembering the scene - you say he doesn't seem threatening when up against Robin, I recall Robin seeming pretty threatened. If a knife was his only trick and he was trying to fight the entire League then yeah, he'd be ineffective, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't use a knife when it works.

Joker is not a tech or gadget guy. Joker's schtick is lethal comedy. I agree he should have ways to fight powerful enemies, but I'd say cleverly crazy plans and zany traps work better than ray guns or the like, and the lower-tech the better - don't blow up a building with a ray gun, bring it down with pre-placed demoltions charges that send up smiley-face fireworks. The fact that Joker doesn't need advanced resources to be dangerous is part of what makes him scary - and when you think about it, an overclocked joy-buzzer or acid-spraying lapel flower aren't exactly high-tech either. What Joker is capable of pulling off in total is not the same as how he chooses to endanger people face-to-face.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

They're called... wingdings. Yeah. (Actually, that might only be for Nightwing's gadgets.)
    Pretty sure that Robin's are birdarangs.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

The **** Grayson article on wikipedia mentions wing-dings (Nightwing), but Robin's gadgets are more fully detailed on the Tim Drake article, which confirms that Robin does use batarangs as Batman's sidekick.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

<snip>
    Totally agreed on this, 100%.
    I'll add that while the Earth-16 Joker is, perhaps, weak when compared to the DCAU's, he is still very much Joker and a very effective Joker at that. He's just different. (I admit I was thrown for a loop though, when I saw he was voiced by Commander Data. )
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2011-11-02 at 07:37 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

But it's not effective. He can do better. Part of being a great character is being effective. Making an impact on their rival. How's he gonna do that with a knife against guys with actual powers or super high tech gear? Wouldn't it be all the more satisfying to see him pull out a huge ray guy and just blow up a building with a smile on his face. I mean, realism is not part of this series (we got aliens and robots) so why is he carrying around a realistic weapon? Sure, it's creepy, but it's only creepy in a gritty realism sense. You don't get that feel when he goes up against Robin who has a hologram computer built into his gloves. I'm just left thinking "this fight would be so much more intense if the Joker had some high tech of his own."
    Would you rather have the Joker have a light-saber or a death ray ?
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Would you rather have the Joker have a light-saber or a death ray ?
    Well, he never had anything like that, but he had some interesting Joker-themed tech in BTAS.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

*Fondly remembers the spring-loaded punching bag gun*

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    (I admit I was thrown for a loop though, when I saw he was voiced by Commander Data. )
    It sounded a lot of the time like he was using his "Lore" voice.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

He should have thrown some Puck in there.

Or they could have just had Alan Tudyk, who voices Green Arrow, do his Alpha from Dollhouse.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

I hated Poison Ivy's voice. It sounds JUST. LIKE. MISS. MARTIAN.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

What is it with the DC universe and superintelligent apes? Don't any apes ever get uplifted to average intelligence?
    Shockingly, Wikipedia has an article about the prevalence of gorillas in DC comics.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-11-04 at 02:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

So, we actually got a new episode this week.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it was pretty obvious from early on that those beams weren't actually killing their targets. Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. Not sure why they tried the fake-out with Martian Manhunter "remembering" that the beams were disintegration, not teleportation, especially after Aqualad and Superboy's deaths had been added to that.

Still, didn't think they'd go the "it was all a dream" (or psychic coma/training exercise, as the case may be) route, so I guess there was that surprise. Still, it ends up feeling a bit like an excessive way to spend an episode basically just to tell us that Miss Martian's powers are far greater than they appear. Well, and to make the Kid Flash/Artemis pairing even more obvious I guess, given how much they focused on his reaction to her demise.

So yeah, eh. An okay episode I guess, but those kind of endings always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

So, we actually got a new episode this week.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it was pretty obvious from early on that those beams weren't actually killing their targets. Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. Not sure why they tried the fake-out with Martian Manhunter "remembering" that the beams were disintegration, not teleportation, especially after Aqualad and Superboy's deaths had been added to that.

Still, didn't think they'd go the "it was all a dream" (or psychic coma/training exercise, as the case may be) route, so I guess there was that surprise. Still, it ends up feeling a bit like an excessive way to spend an episode basically just to tell us that Miss Martian's powers are far greater than they appear. Well, and to make the Kid Flash/Artemis pairing even more obvious I guess, given how much they focused on his reaction to her demise.

So yeah, eh. An okay episode I guess, but those kind of endings always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was expecting them to be teleporting (or time travel, personally) beams, like in The Death of Superman JLU episode(s). I was also expecting it would be the "all a dream" kind of ending as soon as... well.. the first 3 minutes, but the "Martian Psychic Powers=Screwy Mental Training" was a nice way to make the "dream exercise"-thingey seem almost-plausible.

But them apparently NEEDING to tell us the emotional teenager (in martian years maturity level) has stronger emotions than the guy who has made a living out of being almost as cold as Batman in every animated DC thing ever was uneccesary. Seriously, SHE CAN PICK THINGS UP WITH HER MIND. Manhunter NEVER does that.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-11-04 at 07:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    But them apparently NEEDING to tell us the emotional teenager (in martian years maturity level) has stronger emotions than the guy who has made a living out of being almost as cold as Batman in every animated DC thing ever was uneccesary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Um, what? They told us that her powers were stronger than Martian Manhunter's (in overall potential). Her powers aren't her emotions, they're psychic and telekinetic. Don't know where you're getting that from.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Um, what? They told us that her powers were stronger than Martian Manhunter's (in overall potential). Her powers aren't her emotions, they're psychic and telekinetic. Don't know where you're getting that from.

Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if she wasnt so emotional about everybody she knows dying, then she probably would have never overidden everybody's "This is training" thoughts. And in most things with telepathy I know of, emotions and telepathic ability tend to be linked in a really big way. Though that was my minor rambling, my main ramble is that she lifts things with her mind and Manhunter never does that in any DC thing I've seen, ever. /can never decide to be serious or not
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if she wasnt so emotional about everybody she knows dying, then she probably would have never overidden everybody's "This is training" thoughts. And in most things with telepathy I know of, emotions and telepathic ability tend to be linked in a really big way. Though that was my minor rambling, my main ramble is that she lifts things with her mind and Manhunter never does that in any DC thing I've seen, ever. /can never decide to be serious or not
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, that was why the latent strength of her powers came into play. The point there wasn't that she was emotional, but the strength of the powers that those emotions revealed.

And, er, why exactly is her having telekinesis a problem? That's a power that is often linked with telepathy in comics. And she isn't Martian Manhunter - it's not even clear if she's actually been changed to be a green Martian in this continuity, after her remark about white Martians a few episodes ago.

Zevox

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Even if I might have had a very slight sliver of doubt about whether they'd kill off the Justice League and leave the team as Earth's only heroes, the moment Artemis got hit, the jig was up there. [/spoiler]
    Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't rely on this sentiment that they won't kill/remove the main cast in some way or another. I remember one the producers/director/something from the show stating in an interview that the team is actually going to be fairly fluid and there's likely to be at least one big 'death' this season.

This information came from TVTropes though so...grain of salt.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

"Superman has a Fortress of Solitude!?"

I don't know why, but that line really cracked me up. Also, I love there was an "S" on the front entrance to it. Like who else could it be? Guess he had to put it there so people would stop think it was Santa's workshop.

As for the episode as a whole:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cliche, dumb it-was-just-a-dream endings are cliche...and dumb...and redundant statements are redundant.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, disregarding the...plot...of the episode. Here's something that I was wondering the whole time;

The group's telepathy. Actual thing? Or simply an excuse for lazy animation? I feel that they used telepathy a little bit too much in the recent episode and it just felt lazy.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #233
    Barbarian in the Playground

My dnd group will only ever talk if they are mentally connected somehow. So I don't find it odd at all. I liked this episode the team got to be very heroic.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    So, disregarding the...plot...of the episode. Here's something that I was wondering the whole time;

The group's telepathy. Actual thing? Or simply an excuse for lazy animation? I feel that they used telepathy a little bit too much in the recent episode and it just felt lazy.
    Lazy animation? What? How does that make sense?

In any event, no, I don't think it's an an excuse for anything. It's one of Miss Martian's powers, it only makes sense that they'd make extensive use of it, especially considering they're more of a black ops type of superhero group than a traditional superhero team.

Zevox

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

actual thing: it's a common superhero trope, if the team has a telepath they link up instead of using radios; faster and harder to disrupt.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Lazy animation? What? How does that make sense?
    Animators don't have to make mouths move.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, telepathic comms make sense, especially with (as pointed out) a "black ops" team.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the plot...I didn't really buy that they'd killed everyone off like that, so I wasn't totally shocked.

I think making it a training exercise gone wrong was an interesting angle; I was expecting "just a bad dream", or maybe some sort of dream-based superhero.

Incidentally, I didn't catch all the quick young hero cameos, but they were still fun! Maybe we'll see the Teen Titans popping up too?

As for Miss Martian, re-watch the episode. Martian Manhunter says that Miss Martian's telepathic mind was stronger than his. That's a fairly specific thing to say. Recall, J'onn's typically shown to have a lot of powers, sometimes up to the point of being "Green Superman". Even lacking things like eyebeams, YJ MM seems to at least have the "flying brick" powers down, and perhaps has better shapeshifting. M'gann's definitely not as physically powerful, but consider how easy it is for her to psychically link a half-dozen minds, two of which aren't human (Aqualad and Superboy), one of which is a hyper-accelerated human (Kid Flash), and two of which (Robin and Artemis) likely have a fair bit of mental discipline (good luck breaking into Batman's brain, or the brain of his apprentice). She acts like it's no trouble at all, and is basically a psychic switchboard. That's pretty impressive.
    My guess? We'll see her develop a lot more mental-based tricks, and if we see Martian Manhunter more often, he'll be more physically powerful. That's how I'd approach it, were I on that writing staff, anyways.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Yeah, telepathic comms make sense, especially with (as pointed out) a "black ops" team.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the plot...I didn't really buy that they'd killed everyone off like that, so I wasn't totally shocked.

I think making it a training exercise gone wrong was an interesting angle; I was expecting "just a bad dream", or maybe some sort of dream-based superhero.

Incidentally, I didn't catch all the quick young hero cameos, but they were still fun! Maybe we'll see the Teen Titans popping up too?

As for Miss Martian, re-watch the episode. Martian Manhunter says that Miss Martian's telepathic mind was stronger than his. That's a fairly specific thing to say. Recall, J'onn's typically shown to have a lot of powers, sometimes up to the point of being "Green Superman". Even lacking things like eyebeams, YJ MM seems to at least have the "flying brick" powers down, and perhaps has better shapeshifting. M'gann's definitely not as physically powerful, but consider how easy it is for her to psychically link a half-dozen minds, two of which aren't human (Aqualad and Superboy), one of which is a hyper-accelerated human (Kid Flash), and two of which (Robin and Artemis) likely have a fair bit of mental discipline (good luck breaking into Batman's brain, or the brain of his apprentice). She acts like it's no trouble at all, and is basically a psychic switchboard. That's pretty impressive.
    My guess? We'll see her develop a lot more mental-based tricks, and if we see Martian Manhunter more often, he'll be more physically powerful. That's how I'd approach it, were I on that writing staff, anyways.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still, it was a really weak and cliche twist. And as you say it wasn't that big of a shock and fairly predictable, they could have established it earlier on in the show. So rather than the drama and tension be destroying the aliens, it could be escaping the dream.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Animators don't have to make mouths move.
    That's pretty much what I was getting at. I understand that telepathy is amazing. Still seems lazy though.

Especially since at one point is was just one frame of Robin for a few seconds. Then one frame of KF, then the same frame of Robin again. It felt more like a Voice Over than Voice Acting.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-11-07 at 02:30 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #240
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Especially since at one point is was just one frame of Robin for a few seconds. Then one frame of KF, then the same frame of Robin again. It felt more like a Voice Over than Voice Acting.
    You know they do the voice acting before the animation, right?