New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Sin of Pride - Deathwatch

After tearing its chest apart with his vicious assault, Ardelan punches his left hand into the torso of the expiring Tyranid, tearing what remains of its savaged heart from its chest cavity as Conall decapitates the monster with his huge sword.

Ardelan nods his respect to his brother-in-arms as the head rolls along the deck. He tosses the heart to the ground, his visage still a vision of calm. The urge to consume its heart and lifeblood is but a distant whisper in the back of his mind, his efforts entirely focused on working together with his brothers as a cohesive unit.

With that, he glances over the corpse, taking in the damage done, and he takes a few steps and retrieves the severed head, inspecting the damage done by Ivar's sniper rifle as he does so. He nods his thanks to Makradon and Naaman for their efforts, then strides over to Ivar, the Kill-Team's leader, still carrying the head of the beast.

"Brother Ivar; I believe this trophy is yours."

He drops its mangled head at his feet, his mouth almost forming a smile.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-02-18 at 02:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

As the huge beast fell, Conall watched Ardelan offer the head to Ivar. Glancing back at the headless body, the Storm Warden turned his attention to the remaining lesser xenos, slaying them as they twitched up on the floor. Cleaning his blade, Conall moved to check the exits by which a few of the shattered horde had escaped. Peering into the vents, he glanced back at Ivar and the others.

"Onward?"
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

With the Broodlord and magus dead the pure strains are confused, reduced to their most base instincts they are little more than beasts, highly dangerous beasts, but beasts and it is but the work of an hour to cleanse the surrounding vents with flame, bolt and chain.

The mission a success! It is left to the lowly human crew to deal with the last of the hybrids hiding in their midst. The Astartes way of slaughtering all the crew and getting in fresh ones not the most popular of opinions amongst the senior officers on board the doughty Sin...

As the blood splattered and injured marines return to their sacred chapel, the hallways filled with awestruck crewmen the Watch Captain looks you all his face grave. "Brothers. Your victory has been shadowed by the loss of Librarian Kol. Wuonds too great to bear. But his progenoids were saved and will be returned to his chapter with honour.

I await your debriefing Kill Team Leader
    he intones looking at Ivar iwth his steel grey eyes.

"You all honour your chapters with your bravery."

Spoiler
    Show

No point hunting a few low level stealers so you can just RP the marine victory celebrations

I'll post renown and XP in a bit.

Well done. Cloe run thing for a few of you there I must be pitching the conbat about right? I didn't want to spend too long dragging through numerous encounters so hoping that as a small mission felt about right?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

Kol's loss, being another Son of Sanguinius, saddens Ardelan greatly. He makes sure to visit his remains, and takes a minor part in the proper rites for one of his chapter.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, blood to blood,"
    he intones, a short prayer often said after the death of an Blood Angel or other Son of Sanguinius. His flesh and bones would be returned to ash and dust, his blood returned to his Chapter in a cycle of rebirth.

Spoiler
    Show

Using DarkRed now, so as to be different from Ivar. Interestingly, it also matches the colour scheme of his chapter.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Conall lowered his head for a moment in acknowledgement of Kol's passing. The man had been abrasive, but the loss of any Space Marine, let alone a Librarian, was a blow to their limited numbers.

Once the Captain released them, he headed to the armory to return his gear and have his own armor repaired. Then he proceeded to the apothecary to recieve ministrations to his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Man, I picked the wrong chapter / class combo ... I've got to wait until 5th lvl for Assasin's Strike! Add to the fact that I've only got enough renown to ask for a chainsword and pistol ... I'm definitely in the slow portion of the class. Ah well, I suppose I'll save some of that xp for now. Need to think through my advances a bit!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Troll in the Playground

Ivar

The Wolf Scout bows his head at news of Kol's passing. "He died fighting alongside his brothers, against tha' enemies o' man. Ye' could ask for worthier foes, but nae better way ta' end ye' saga, nor brothers ta' do it amongst . May his name be remember'd". He'll drink to the Flesh Tearer's memory tonight, he resolves.

The Watch Captain's prompting brings him out of his reverie. "Aye, my initial report" Ivar agrees reluctantly. Standing straight we begins to recount the events of the mission for the Watch Captain. "We started tha' hunt at tha' point where tha' Inquisitor's Acolytes broke off, an' were attacked by Purestrains an' Hybrids a soon as we got there. After dealin' with 'em, ah' used my' Omophagea ta' confirm tha' location o' tha' primary targets".

A pause, as Ivar considers whether to mention his brush with the Magus. He decides the risk that the Magus might have managed something subtle outweighs the problems mentioning it might bring. "When ah' did so, tha' Magus tried ta' attack me mind. Ah' shook him off, but would still recommend ah' be checked over by a Run... ah' mean, by a Librarian at tha' first opportunity, just ta' be safe".

"With tha' location o' both tha' Magus an' Broodlord, ah' lead tha' team ta' tha' chamber they were hidin' in. Brother Ardelan an' me moved 'round ta' flank 'em, while tha' rest o' tha' kill team went fer' a frontal assault. When they blew tha' doors out, ah' eliminated tha' Magus whilst Brother Ardelan engaged tha' Broodlord. After disposin' o' tha' lesser Xenos in tha' chamber, tha' Kill Team took out tha' Broodlord in a coordinated attack. With tha' leadership slain, tha' mop-up o' tha' surving xenos went smoothly usin' standard Deathwatch sweep patterns".

"That's tha' general outline anyway. Ah'll compose a written report with tha' full details" he closes, suddenly remembering that the Deathwatch expects more of a report than just a recital of what should be added to the sagas. A new resolve - to never again be responsible for the paperwork - kindles itself with the Space Wolf's hearts.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

The Watch Captain's grim visage brightens for a second as the description of Ardelan engaging the broolord on his own is mentioned. Seeing the state of the Encarmine Angel the beast must have been mighty indeed!

"I will await you official report. You have done well and brought us honour in the name of the Emperor. Rest, report to the medicae if you are injured and return to your meditations.

THe Codicer's tell me they can feel something of great import happening. We will be called up[on soon to dispense the Emperor's justice."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Conall sat in meditation in his room, stripped to the waist. The apothecary had tended to the worst of his wounds; with that aid and his own accelerated healing rate, his wounds were practically mended. (OOC - I hope ) He had cleaned his weapons and armor, and make repairs to the rents in his chest plate, noting the battlescars made it even more impressive than before. It was an honor to wear it in combat, and he prayed he would be worthy of the its former bearers.

Now that he was alone with his thoughts, he focused on mentally reviewing recent events with an eye for how to better improve his own efforts. The Deathwatch was a small group, and each member needed to be more than just a simple Astartes, if there was such a thing. Standing on the front line of a war against numberous evils - Chaos, Xenos, Traitors ... it required each marine to be more than he thought he could be. His brothers had shown him skills and abilities that made his own pale in comparison, and he did not wish to disappoint any of them ... nor fail them when the stakes were so high.

As he focused on ways to improve his own efficiency, his solitude was interrupted.

"ATTENTION ALL CREW. PREPARE FOR LORD THEOCLES" The words blarred out as the standard choral music quieted down to a backdrop of instrumental beats.

"Men of the Imperium. I am troubled." The inquisitor's rasping tone echoing in every corner of the vessel. "I am troubled as a father is troubled by his wayward sons. The seeds of corruption amongst my own children. The touch of the xenos. And the filth of betrayal. A harsher man would purfge with fire and interrogators... But I am not harsh."

After a long pause that surely gave a moment of introspective soul-searching to the less pious among the crew, the Inquisitor continued.

"We have been gifted a vision. A chance to serve the Empire in the most important of ways and we shall do so. We shall do so or we shall die in our attempts. If we must sacrifice every life of us aborard this great vessel we will succeed. Remember your prayers. Fear the mutant, Abhor the xeno and Purge the heretic".

Conall nodded to himself, the words of a mere human instilling him with increased fervor to take the fight to their enemies. Standing, he gathered his robes and proceeded to the main Chapel. Surely they would receive orders soon. Surely they would be given the opportunity to serve the Emperor. To test themselves against the Darkness. To defend Humanity against the Demon, the Devourer and the Deceiver.

And he would be ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just figured I'd get a jump on our next adventure ... felt like I was loosing touch with my inner combat monster

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Within the solem and silent granite gothic cathedral a bell tolls. The single strident tome resounding around the chamber with its mournful tone. Immediatly chapter serfs begin to assemble. Some standing to to record the words said, others scurrying off dutifully to the armouries and other functions to ready to the serve their Astartes Masters.

Minutes later the Kill Team stands ready in their cowled robes. Another mission so soon. It is unusual even for the elite of the elite but service to the Imperium is all.

The Watch Captain stares down at them from the pulpit that lies at the heart of chapel. "Brothers. We are called into action again. This ship of war harbours an infestation still.. The piercing eyes of the Watch Captain- a veteran of over 200 years in the Deathwatch alone, the last marine of a chapter that has ceased to exist hits you all. "I will not tolerate the stain of heresy on board this vessel. It will be expunged with valour, chain and bolt."

He looks back to the kill team, "Brother Conall, you're many wounds do you a great honour. Brother Namaan you will be required to bring the purging fire of hellfire once more. All will be required to display your customary valour and bravery."

Spoiler
    Show

So mission:-
    (Bluntpencil/ Lord Captain can change the mission parameters if he wants)

Primary:- Destroy the cult base
    Primary:- Destroy the Servitors and the heavy weaponry

Secondary:- Kill heretics
    Secondary:- Destroy the lair

Tertiary:- Uncover the links from the cult to the rest of the ship
    Tertiary:- Establish if there are any tech-infiltrations in the rest of the ship

Mission Requsition:- 60

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

The Lord Captain of the ship, at this point, swans into the room with a wide grin on his face.

"Noble lords! 'Tis an honour to be in the presence of my God's own grandsons, to be sure."

In spite of his words, his stance makes him seem that he considers the Space Marines his equals. To be fair, he does look a little mad.

"As the Lord Captain of this vessel, I'd like to offer ye my assistance in strategic matters, should ye need it.

I would also like to make strategic requests, should that be at all possible. I do believe that teamwork is the best way to achieve our goals, so communication amongst the various chains of command seems to be the best way to manage this."

After speaking, he bows theatrically, largely to the Watch Captain, but to the gathering as a whole.

He then stands up straight, looking at both Connall and Ardelan, spluttering as he speaks,

"What happened to you, good sirs?!"

Ardelan, of course, remains quiet, simply muttering,

"Duty."

The Lord Captain then grins, slightly embarrassed, tugging at his collar a touch,

"Right you are. Might want to elaborate on that later, it'll make a better story with some details and monsters in, you hear? Maybe I'll have a statue of you up on the prow of the ship, eh?"

The Astartes, of course, ignores the Captain's blathering about decorating the ship's exterior, looking to the Watch Captain to get to actual business.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-04-18 at 08:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Thw watch Captain towers above the captain by some 2 foot and you can see a tension in the Captain's eyes as he stares down at the man. "Lord Captain. What details do you require. The Astartes shall destroy the cult. What more is there to be said?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Conall sighed at the Watch Captain's compliment. "Too slow." But he accepted the words with a nod of his head and began to review the details of the mission.

He had just finished the objectives section when a human stepped into the room, cocksure and confident. Conall blinked at the audacity of the man, but supposed there was a certain amount of leeway granted to the ship's captain. However, when the man looked over at him and exclaimed, "What happend to you, good sirs?" he simply stared at him before glancing at the Watch Captain. Regardless of his position, Conall was uncertain what clearance this man possessed, and like all Deathwatch missions, classification varied.

Besides, his mind was already churning on the mission they had been given, eager to redeem his past mistakes.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, good Watch Captain, I am of the opinion that the shipboard Enforcers and marines have very little to do most of the time.

I figure that I can provide men to sweep areas that are beneath your notice, or hold positions and pin your hereteks in place for your purge. That should save you time and energy, making things nice and efficient... just in case the good Lord Inquisitor or myself have another mission for you afterwards.

Of course, I wouldn't want you to think that I thought you would find any requests difficult, but still, 'tis only right to offer help when and where I can, mm?"

The Captain obviously doesn't give a damn that the Space Marines might think he's playing them. Who cares? He was given command of an insane ship, filled to the brim with heretics by an apparently incompetent Inquisitor. He had worse things to worry about.

Spoiler
    Show

Charm (1d100)[46]

TN 62, or 72 with Peer: Military
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-04-19 at 02:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

The Watch Captain looks at the Lord Captain, an almost bemused expression on the giant's face. "I shall accept your offer aid Lord Captain. If you can position your watchmen on the egress routes from the controlled zone they can pin any fleeing heretics whilst my brothers purge the triators with flame, bolt and blade."

Glancing back to the assembled Kill Team. "Do you have any questions Brothers? If not draw up your equipment and do the Emperor's bidding."

Spoiler
    Show

Any objections on the mission objectives?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Naaman

The Dark Angel Devastator's only response to the Watch Captain's question is a salute as he mentally selects the equipment that may be necessary for the upcoming trial.

Spoiler
    Show
    None here!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Barbarian in the Playground

++Negative++ intones the mechanical voice of the techmarine.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

The Watch Captain looks at the first two of the marine sto respond. "Choose your leader, make your Oaths and go with honour. I will assemble a second kill team should the mechanicus prove overpowering."

Spoiler
    Show

So...

Choose Leader
    Choose Oath
    Spend Requisition
    "kill stuff"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

Ardelan steps forward, his armour still covered in his own blood.

"I nominate Brother Ivar for the position of Kill-Team Leader. His leadership on the last mission was exemplary, and I see no reason for unnecessary change."

He says this calmly, as if it is a simple decision to make.

The Lord-Captain, however, is still hanging around. Captain Kuchenko actually feels the need to offer more help, it seems.

"Actually, Watch Captain, I can do better than that. Would you like myself or my subordinates to act more proactively...?"

He then mimes some sword play with an imaginary sword, which, admittedly, he's quite good at.

"We can launch an attack, and give you an advantage, letting you get to your objectives quicker. Hell, we might even beat you to it, huh? A friendly contest, you might call it! The majority of battles are won by mortals, after all: we're far from useless!"

The Lord-Captain was either very confident or very stupid. Or mad. Or he had a plan.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-05-06 at 05:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

The Watch Captain's steely glare slowly comes to rest on the Captain. The glower if anything becoming more pronounced as the Lord Capatin mimes the sword play.

"No thank you Lord Captain. Pull your men back. The Angels of Death cannot distinguish all the time. Best to not risk the danger of misplaced fire and keep your men away from the danger zone."

He waves over a chapter serf. "Please show the Lord Captain the way out." he intones. Gesturing at the clearly obvious 40ft tall arched doors, as if the Captain couldn't see them.

That done the Watch Captain returns to his station allowing the rest of the kill team the peace to begin their mission. The tactical displays in their helmet cogitators giving instructions about the most direct route to the suspected Malgyrsian hide out. The material marked questionable as the Astartes are suspicious of the reports given by the acolytes to the marines.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

"Sure thing, Cap, you don't wanna risk getting shown up by lowly mortals, even ones such as myself, who got recruited by an Inquisitor on account of boarding actions and shipboard fighting."

As Kuchenko leaves with a skip in his step, he turns around, his voice changing to one of concern. His eyes fall onto Ardelan's grievous wounds, then look at the injuries of the others.

"I don't want to put this ship at risk, my lords. Some of your men are quite obviously badly injured. I don't want any individual's pride, regardless of how mighty they are, to have a negative effect on our goals.

I will be keeping men in reserve as a precaution."

With that, he walks out, ignoring anything the Astartes say. He opens a vox to several of his Lieutenants, and has them move armsmen into advantageous positions, in order to pin down the enemy.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-05-07 at 04:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

The Watch Captain watches the Lord Captain leave before breathing a slow exhalation of frustration. Casting an eye towards his brothers he scowls. "The humans aboard this vessel are most frsutrating. The fruits of corruption linger here alongside the stench of Heresy."

His massive armoured glove twitches reaching for a bolter that is sadly not there. "Report to your attack stations and begin the purge. I will prepare the rest of the Kill Teams for the upcoming ship to ship combat." An eye passes to a bolt crater in the nearby wall. "We may not be as fortunate with the enemy straying into our midst again."

Spoiler
    Show

Arm up and then we can get cracking...
    Requisition 60 for the hunt and destroy meeting

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Ardelan goes to the Apothecarium to have his injuries looked over. He utters not a word of complaint, but knows that he is hurt badly enough to require attention. With a silent nod to a serf, who scurries off at pace, he has his wounds treated.

After several minutes, two serfs return, carrying a large sword between them. It is well-crafted, and well-suited to punishing the heretic. Ardelan nods his thanks with the smallest of smiles, the mortals overjoyed to see such gratitude from an Angel of Death.

As the Apothecary's servitors do their best to stitch up his wounds, he clutches a grenade to his face, whispering prayers to its spirit, asking that it will punish the treacherous Machine Spirits of the hereteks.

Spoiler
    Show

Exceptional Power Sword: Req 30
    EMP Grenade: Req 30 (How many do I get?)

Again, going without a helmet, for extra Renown.

How much do I heal?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Following the apothecary, Conall reported to the quartermaster to gather his gear. Finding great use in the mighty kraken rounds, he made sure to check out a few magazines of the ammunition. He also took the red-dot sight for his bolter and prepared himself for a battle against the chaos-infected former servants of the Emperor.

Requisition:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Astartes Bolter (Godwyn) - 5
    Kraken Rounds - 15
    Fire Selector - 2
    Red Dot Sight (Bolter) - 10
    Trying to decide between Hellfire rnds (25) and extra grenades / equipment
    Total: ~57; 3 to the pool

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Naaman silently hands the quartermaster a datapad with a list of items he deems useful for the upcoming mission.

Spoiler
    Show

Deathwatch Suspensor: 25
    Metal Storm rounds (Heavy bolter): 20
    Remainder 15, not sure what for just yet... might end up just going into the pool

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Garbed for war the Astartes are given a wide berth as the Kill Team advance down the corridors. The petty mortals standing back and bowing low to the grimfaced avatars of death.

Reaching the heavy industrial sectors of the low deck and engineerum the marines can see the ring of steel surrounding the access shafts near the heretics den.

One of the leading troopers, a staff sgt by his chevrons bows low, "My lords's Astartes. We have sealed all the access hatches and diverted drive plamsa to other vents to prvent egress. Do you wish us to accompany you?

Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to begin/ get help and choose a leader and an oath.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Barbarian in the Playground

Makradon takes a fresh clip of metal storm ammo and retrieves the tools he had carried earlier.

Spoiler
    Show

Requisition 60/60
    Multikey (15)
    Combitool (15)
    Augur Array (15)
    1 clip Metal Storm (15)

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Ardelan, Conall, Namaan and Makradon push on down the narrow tunnels. Their hulking armour near enough scraping the sides the of the narrow tunnel. The heavily armoured marines, jet packs, servo arms and huge ammo hoppers not helping.

As they push into the heart of the heart of the techno-heretic territory their movements become more cautios, senses alert ready for combat...
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Naaman

As the close confines of the underdeck are ill-suited to providing his assault specialist brethren with supporting fire, Naaman follows behind the others, acting as the rearguard, heavy bolter prepared to unleash death upon any foe foolish enough to attempt a flanking maneuver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness: (1d100)[68] TN 60 *sigh*

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Conall walked up front, knowing his special brand of death required proximity to his enemies. Watching carefully, he looked around for whatever tricks these thrice-damned traitors had in mind for them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness TN 44 (54 vs sight/hearing): (1d100)[69]
    This should suck ...and it did ...
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-08-24 at 11:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

The narrow service juntions press in like a coffin of steel around the hulking black armoured marines. Venting CO2, flickeirng lights and crackling ozone discharges leaving the marines less alert than they would normally be.

After maybe 200m you can see that your service tunnel - a 2m wide cramped tube terminates in a T-Junction. As the team reaches the corner it explodes in fire as a ail of hundreds of shells lacerate and tear the wal and pipes to pieces in a vast explosion of sparks and crackling discharges.

A glance round the corner reveals the narrow tunnels both left and right both occupied by a powerful looking servitor- some sort of massive multi-barrelled cannon clutched by the automated battle driods...

In the flickering lights and emergency strobes and the dull green glow of your enhanced photo-visors you can see both combat bots are some 40m up the tunnels.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar