Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: AVB - Glim

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default AVB - Glim

You are walked into a recruiter's office. Sitting before you is a burly sergeant wearing a uniform and light armor. His sword hangs loosely from his belt, and he has a rather legendary handlebar moustache.

"So, you want to join the Watch. Why do we need you?"
    Last edited by Lokio; 2011-09-13 at 11:36 AM.
    Trials and exams and busy, oh my!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Geld

"My name is Glim Scheppen, son of Gallun Scheppen, if you are familiar with his murder. I'm fairly handy with a dagger, and have practiced the art of stealth for most of my walking life." Glim hesitates for a few moments, a look of apprehension slides across his face.

"...are you familiar with the name Atel Gillwip?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Atel is the assassin from my backstory, the one who trained Glim.
    Last edited by TheDivineWind; 2011-09-10 at 12:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The recruiter shrugs. "Never heard of him. Anyway, I'm Sergeant Stikeman. A stealthy man, you say? Well... How are your investigative skills?"

Ooc: sorry for the wait. This delay is very atypical; between an extreme weekend and no internet on my PC until thurs I've been in rough shape as far as posting goes.

4. - Top - End - #4

Glim exhales slowly, and he relaxes his body. After a few seconds, he looks back up at the recruiter and responds.

"Nothing special, I fear. My training focused heavily on combat and stealth, with little focus on investigation. I suspect that I will have many opportunities within the Guard to expand upon my skills."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Hehe, not a problem. I just got back from being a groomsman at my buddies wedding, I never knew how much work that was. I barely had time to check if you had updated all weekend. Anywho, all good! Let's rock this~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The recruiter says, "Well, as you train, I'm sure there'll be opportunities for you to work on those skills. They're very useful."

He goes on to tell you about the training process. It goes for approximately a month, and is much like military basic training.

Spoiler
    Show
    You have the opportunity here to either RP some of the training, or skip through it. RPing some of it may be worth XP.

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: AVB - Glim

Spoiler
    Show
    More than happy to RP it. Should I just go solo on it, or would you prefer to direct it?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's definately directed.

"Do you have any more questions, or would you like to sign your contract?"

8. - Top - End - #8

"None, let us begin as soon as we can." Glim waits until the paperwork is available, and then signs were required.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sweeeeeet

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Glim goes through a month worth of training at the Fortress. He is issued a masterwork chain shirt. He has the choice of using his own weapons, but is issued a masterwork longsword and dirk (shortsword) as well.

His first week, he begins being instructed in Aldhaven law, physical training, investigation, non-lethal combat methods, and various other subjects. He takes drill and ceremonial with one Corporal Payne, who lines them up on their first day and gives them a shouted 'lecture' involving calling the platoon "maggots" a great deal when they don't snap their arms high enough.

At the end of the first week, one of the other privates, a jackass by the name of Higgs, gets a little too drunk and calls your mother a whore in front of a dozen other trainees. He shoves you against a bar table. You may act.
    Last edited by Lokio; 2011-09-15 at 12:58 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Glim looks his fellow trainee in the eyes and slowly rests his hands on his weapons. As soon as they come to a stop, he recalls his efforts to improve his social skills, and find ways to talk to people. He removes his hands from his weapon hilts and rests them on his hips.

After a few seconds of considering his options, he attempts to diffuse the situation with a joke.

"Higgs, my mother is a saint and an honest woman, and no one should speak ill of her..." Glim says with a straight face, "...but I suppose you have a right to after she gave you that crotch-rot I'm smelling." A slight grin spreads across his face. He eyes the other recruits for a second to gauge their reaction, then returns his view to Higgs.

Spoiler
    Show
    edit: I'll be traveling all day Friday, and be back Saturday!
    Last edited by TheDivineWind; 2011-09-16 at 05:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Higgs looks at you, ***** his head, and the other trainees begin laughing. He sneers and goes to tackle you.

Grapple check, please. You do not get an attack of opportunity against Mr. Higgs.

12. - Top - End - #12

Glim's grin fades slightly as Higgs lunges at him. Glim had never excelled in grappling, he simply didn't have the body mass to match most of his other opponents. As a result, the instructor had suggested he use his agility to his advantage, and do his best to keep his daggers in between himself and his opponents.

Unfortunately, Glim hadn't had much time to practice it. No time like the present.

"Bloody foo...oof!", the impact rocked Glim back a step. For a split second, his fighting instinct took over and he attempted to push back. Luckily, he corrected his mistake and quickly shifted his hips to redirect Higg's force to allow him to slip out of the grab.

Spoiler
    Show

Escape Artist Check

........ crap.
    (1d20+5)[12]
    Last edited by TheDivineWind; 2011-09-17 at 04:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You slip his grip with a deft maneuver. Your turn.

14. - Top - End - #14

Glim activates his Chronocharm and shifts 15 feet back, then holds the rest of his action in case Higgs comes at him again.

"Calm down Higgs, there is no need to get physical, Corporal Payne might catch wind of this." Glim frowns at that thought, "ugh, especially if Corporal Payne catches wind of this."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Higgs attacks again, Glim pulls his daggers as Higgs charges and uses his AoO and his held standard action to attack Higgs for non-lethal damage, preferably holding his daggers in a way that conveys his intention as clearly as possible. I believe I get a +7/+5 bonus on such an attack (or a +9 if I can only make a single attack, and not duel-wield.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Higgs comes in, fist cocked, but you hear a sharp yell of, "ATTEN-TION!" The entire room snaps to attention, and just as you predicted, Corporal Payne steps in in his uniform. "What's this?!"

"Sir, Higgs attacked Glim. Glim didn't do nothin'."

"Is that right, Mr. Scheppen?" Corporal Payne peers out at you with narrow eyes.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Sir! I...", he quickly looks to the other recruits in the room, "Higgs just tripped. I think he had a few too many sir."

Glim strains his body to attention and looks back into Corporal Payne's eyes with the sternness he had been learning for the past week.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Payne looks at you, looks at Higgs and smirks slightly as Higgs comes to attention. "Clumsy today, eh, Higgs?"

"Yes, sir!"

"You get clumsy again, you'll be court-martialed. Get out of here."

Higgs salutes, turns to the right and marches out of the bar. As he goes, he gives you a look of gratitude.

Payne leans in to you and whispers, "Well done, Scheppen." He claps you on the shoulder and leaves the bar.

18. - Top - End - #18

Glim salutes and, after the Corporal leaves he exhales slowly, reassured by the Corporal's comment.

"Sweet gods above, I need a drink." he moves to the bartender and orders an ale.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The ale comes and the boys are generally impressed with your handling of the situation. Two or three more are purchased for you immediately after.

20. - Top - End - #20

Glim finishes his drinks, chatting and laughing with the rest of the recruits. Once the rest of the recruits are finished drinking and they all pay their tabs, Glim heads back to the barracks with the group.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The rest of the week passes without much incident. Higgs apologizes to you the next day and acts far more courteously to you henceforth. You begin intensive combat training for the martial component of the week. At the end of the week is a single combat tournament using blunted tournament weapons of your choice. Will you participate?

Spoiler
    Show
    150 story xp. Well handled.

22. - Top - End - #22

I shall participate, choosing dual daggers. Also, wooot, was fairly sure that would have gone poorly if Higgs got coordinated enough to grapple me. He must have rolled horrifically for me to slip out on a 12.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah... be ready for grappling. I use special attacks often, because they're smart. And I play my NPCs smart.

The week carries on and you go up against a young swordsman named Fenris who fights using a greatsword. As cheers go on around you in the Fortress training ground, you both draw your weapons and prepare to fight.

Initiative please.

24. - Top - End - #24

Initiative: (1d20+5)[18]

Glim draws his daggers and readies himself against his opponent.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume this is straight combat, no real opportunities for sneaky sneaky?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Feints are your friend. Or doing damage to face. Whatever you wish. No penalties for these weapons for non-lethal though.

You react first as the 'FIGHT' signal is given.

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler
    Show
    Blinding attack... Is that going to be allowed in this competition? I don't want to get arrested because I blinded a fellow recruit...

Also, where are the called shot rules? I am almost sure it's a -4 to the attack roll, but for the life of me I can't find the bit of rules that states that.
    Last edited by TheDivineWind; 2011-09-19 at 03:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There are no called shots in AVB. Try not to permanently damage anybody. Be wily.

28. - Top - End - #28

Glim rushes up to his opponent and jukes to the left, throwing an obvious right jab and a less obvious low swipe in an attempt to distract his opponent for a few seconds and score a more solid strike.

Spoiler
    Show

Feint attempt: (1d20+6)[16]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

You feint him. He swings at you clumsily, overcompensating (perhaps due to the feint) and misses you. He is flatfooted.

30. - Top - End - #30

Glim swings both of his daggers to bear. His offhand comes towards the recruit's right side quickly, if a little predictable. He focuses his attention on his primary attack, aiming for an opening in his opponent's armor along the lower left side of his torso.

Spoiler
    Show

Full round attack
    Primary attack (SA): (1d20+10)[26]
    Offhand attack: (1d20+10)[20]

Primary attack damage: (1d3)[3]
    Offhand attack damage: (1d3)[1]
    Sneak Attack damage: (3d6)[16]