New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 39

Grey Zone Park

The scorpion hit his pincers against each other.

"As allways."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

The Suburbs - Last week

Spoiler
    Show
    Someone had called into the Remnant line. A young woman, scared: "I heard screams next door, and then I saw a woman running away, covered with blood. I think she was carrying a baby."

One team was sent to the house, and another to find the woman and child. The first team found a gruesome sight. A man and woman, handcuffed to the radiator, each of them killed by a single slice across the throat, with blood everywhere. A preliminary search of the house proved there was a missing infant, with the dead couple the presumed parents. The findings were radioed in, both to HQ and to the other team.

"I've got it," Carol radioed in. She was one of Remnant's Wraiths, trained in stealth. Either the target was an innocent witness of the crime who had managed to escape with the child, or she was a murderer with an infant hostage. Carol was betting on the latter, but either way, they couldn't use a lethal attack. Shooting the target with a tranq dart might cause her to drop the baby. Challenging her and ordering her to surrender might escalate the situation. It was Carol's goal to have the baby in her possession before the target even realized an encounter had happened.

The target had left a blood trail - easily seen in Carol's display as she flew low to the ground, along the alleys. She was catching up fast. Cloaked spotters were being teleported in along residential rooftops to locate the target's current position. Parts of the map on Carol's display went dark as they were ruled out. And then a bright red dot appeared. "Gotcha."

Now she didn't need the trail. Carol shot up into the air, a parabolic flight to arrive in the street ahead of the target, then match speeds with her as she passed, like the next person in a relay race. The woman seemed to be running heedlessly, with no fixed goal. Carrying a baby in both arms slowed her. Being in sandals slowed her more. The baby was crying. Good. It was still alive. Carol flew alongside her, completely stealthed, the target unaware of her. And she waited for the perfect moment.

It came. The woman stumbled, put out a hand for balance, leaving the baby in one arm. Carol snatched it, and was teleported away before she finished saying the word "Recall."

The sudden baby-snatch left the target even farther off balance. She fell to the ground, grasping at nothing. "No! My baby! Where's my baby?" she wailed. When the Remnant soldiers surrounded her, she kept asking them what had happened to her baby. Once they assured her that "her" baby was safe, she surrendered.

The handcuff keys in her pocket, and the bloody knife with her fingerprints on it found at the scene were proof enough that she was the killer.

When they tried to locate the neighbor who had made the call, they were unsuccessful. Everyone was shocked at the murder that had happened so close, and completely cooperative in their fear, but no one had heard any screams. A sound technician compared the recording of the caller to the suspect's voice, but they weren't a match.

At first the suspect continued to claim that the baby was hers, but eventually broke under questioning. She made a full confession, signed herself over to the Penal Company, and the case was closed.

The Temple of the Sacred Order of Cunningham - Today

Pastor Ellen, her face stained with tears, steps up to the pulpit, carrying a baby boy. The same orphan that had been rescued a week earlier. A single coffin at the front of the altar rail held his parents.

"We are gathered here today to pay final respects to Elder Robert Savick and his wife Sister Katherine. Our grief knows no bounds. But we are comforted that it takes place in the shadow of new life, a life that our beloved brother and sister gave their lives to protect - their son Preston..."
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

[The Temple of the Sacred Order of Cunningham]

Sophie is there, somberly silent. She'd met the Savicks soon afte converting to the Order, and their deaths were a shock. Most of all, she's apalled by the sheer... senselessness of their deaths. Beyond even worst crimes there's usually a reason. But this? She can't make sense of it all. Why did their killer do it?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

After her eulogy, Pastor Ellen hands the child to to the heartbroken sister of the murdered woman, and the sad service continues, until the coffin is carried outside and lowered into the earth, into the grave dug for them the night before by Elder Cooke.

Many tears are shed, for despite their belief that they'll all be reunited on the Paradise Planet, it's still tragic that Preston will never know his parents until then, and that they didn't get to raise the son they loved so much and died to protect.

And then, it's all over. Of course, Sophie can speak to the Pastor or the family members if she wishes, or she could go to Remnant to try to learn more about the killer.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

5. - Top - End - #575
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    [Scarlet Manor]

Kal waits patiently. Any good assassin knows how to be patient, and Kal is a very good assassin. He keeps counting.
    After about three more minutes, a voice rings out, hollow and scratchy, like a recording of an echo, intermingled with static. "Welll? Why are you standing around outside my door like an ornamental aardvark? Come in already, so we can speak." With that, the great door swings open, revealing the room beyond.

It superficially resembles a cozy study, a fireplace in one corner, bookshelves packed full of leatherbound tomes lining the walls, a stuffed alligator hanging from the ceiling... Except, the room is enormous. From the door to the opposite wall, it must be at least fifty feet, the ceiling so far overhead it can barely be seen. In the center of the room sits a stately oak desk, covered in papers and knick-knacks, the normal sized furniture out of place in the gigantic room, especially in contrast to the monolithic grandfather clock, a tower of wood and ticking gears, situated against the wall directly behind the desk.

Sitting behind the desk is a comfortable old armchair, and in said chair is sprawled a shadowy figure, his face completely obscured by a cloud of darkness that hovers about him.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Sophie will go to the Pastor first, not wishing to disturb the family in their time of mourning. Pastor, are there any news about the killer? This whole tragedy doesn't make a shred of sense to me.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of the Sacred Order of Cunningham

Pastor Ellen makes sure no one is in earshot before she answers. "The killer's in custody, thank the Prophet. She seems to be a very disturbed woman. She kept changing her story, but she was sure, through it all, that Preston was her child. Finally they showed her a group of baby pictures and asked her to identify her child. She couldn't, of course, and that's when she broke down and confessed."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Sophie isn't surprised. It didn't look like the work of an immoral murderer. If she'd needed a baby for some purpose - what purpose Sophie prefers not to think about - she could have obtained one without resorting to killing.
    Hm. So an emotionally and mentally disturbed person. Fairly severely, if she went as far as murder. Has she been examined by psychiatrists?
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-09-26 at 02:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't know. I'm not sure if Remnant even does that." Pastor Ellen says.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. Maybe I'll try to find some information. If they let me, that is. Civilians aren't usually allowed near imprisoned criminals.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll give you a letter, to say that you're inquiring on behalf of the Order. It may help." Pastor Ellen says. "If nothing else, Preston will one day want to know the details of what happened to his parents."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

Yes... he will. Poor child. It's always the innocent ones that see the world's worst side. A letter would help greatly. Apart from that... I can be convincing if I have to.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

The Temple of the Sacred Order of Cunningham

"That's good of you. I need to go spend time with the family, but if you stop by tomorrow, I'll have the letter for you."

*handwavium timeskipium*

When Sophie returns the next day, the letter is ready for her. It's a basic letter of introduction, and request that Remnant provide what information they can to Sophie on behalf of the Order and the victims's families.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Sophie takes the letter and heads out to the Remnant HQ.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Barbarian in the Playground

Red Zone

There's a certain trick to these things. A sort of highly specialized technique, borne out of necessity and honed by practice. A right way and a wrong way to do things, I suppose you could say. It's not easy being a wanted man, even less so a wanted monster, but What's been at this game for quite some time. He knows how these streets work. He knows what he has to do to prevent being ensnared by the law, and in turn, prevent the lethal consequences that would undoubtedly follow such an unfortunate arrest.

Part of it is in the planning, of course. It's best to memorize the Remnant patrols in Inside, know them even better than the patrolling officers themselves, if at all possible. The same goes for Riverside and its disgusting vampire population, ever since that "Everyone travels in twos" policy started. Inside of the ruined shambles of an abandoned MagCorp factory, What pauses thoughtfully, staring down through a greasy window. He leans on the railing of a rusted catwalk, surveying the filthy, disgusting masses down below. There would be an opening, a chance to get out and hunt those things, in exactly one hour, twenty-seven minutes, and eight seconds. If What had anything but patience, the wait would be unbearably slow.

Another key aspect of survival is flexibility. The best-laid plans go astray far more often than one might think. If you can't adapt and learn to accept change in an ever-shifting reality like the Nexus, you really have no place living here, do you? An excellent example of this would be, naturally, What's response to Officers Van Brunt and Tassel walking down Irving Street about twenty minutes ahead of schedule. Sure, What could have just canceled tonight's festivities right then and there, but there were at least four valid escape routes from that alley he'd already scouted out, and how often is it that you get to carve open the local law enforcement for sport anyway?

Thirdly, and most importantly, of course, is that you hold nothing back. What doesn't allow himself guns or spells, and I suppose that might put him at a slight disadvantage, but the weapons he does use, he uses with all the brutal efficiency and competence of a machine. The first of the two takes half of a schoolteacher's ruler to the back of the throat, letting out a shriek more then loud enough to get his partner's attention. That doesn't do him an awful lot of good though, as What quickly shoves the wounded officer into the one still reaching for his firearm. After knocking the two to the ground, it's only a matter of rushing in, dispatching the second officer, and finishing off the first before the conflict is over.

A shame, What had really been hoping for more of a struggle from the second guy. Maybe a gunshot or two before death, y'know? Sure, the guy had the sense to try to shield his face with his arms before What broke them, but that wasn't nearly enough. Hrm...well, I suppose What could linger here for a little while. Maybe he'll be lucky, and someone will hear that scream and rush in to play hero, instead of doing the smart thing and calling Remnant to deal with it. It would be nice to slice apart a PC for a change...
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

16. - Top - End - #586
    Orc in the Playground

Red Zone

"BLOOOODPLUUUNDEEER!" An elderly lady is running towards What, swinging a large, spiked ball chained to a stout haft above her head. She's wearing a floral-patterned dress, a pink hand-knitted cardigan and sensible shoes. She's rather short, and it's clear where she's coming from. If What doesn't react and gets hit by the flail, it will likely do quite a lot of damage.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Zee's Collapse

Spoiler
    Show
    The death of Zee didn't go without consequences. Many houses were crushed.

One, in particular, had a family in it. An ordinary family, up until that day.

The Deckers all died- with one exception...

----

Today- Lots of Hope Hospital

Susan Decker is currently in the coma ward, still unconsious.

...but now she wakes. "...huh? Where am I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Wolfy's Dance Studio]

Reelshka's hand is squeezed, much to her surprise, but her thoughts are occupied by the vison of herself in the place of the woman from the video. Really? I never thought I'd ever do that. We should get to training then, I suppose.
    Wolfy's Dance Studio

Wolfy smiles gently, stands and tries to pull her close. "Well, lets get started." He tells her. It's going to be a long day dancing, but she'll feel invigorated and her feet won't hurt at all. She doesn't know it, but the bodysuit and dancing shoes are magical, keeping her from wearing out or getting sore.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Troll in the Playground

LOH Hospital

Seems nobody's paying attention to their miracle patient. Probably because Dr Bill Newman is standing rather close to Nurse Eli Boyd, as they look over notes together, their hands touching and eyes meeting far more often than is strictly professional.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

[Wolfy's Dance Studio]

Reelshka will dance with Wolfy, much less awkward than yesterday. She's not sure why she feels so good and not tired at all, but she doesn't think about it too much. And she does love the tango. Much more... spicy than anything danced down in the goblin colonies.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    LOH Hospital

Seems nobody's paying attention to their miracle patient. Probably because Dr Bill Newman is standing rather close to Nurse Eli Boyd, as they look over notes together, their hands touching and eyes meeting far more often than is strictly professional.
    "HEY! Can someone tell me who painted lines over everything?"

...what lines?

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

LOH Hospital

The doctor and nurse leap apart guiltily, and both hasten over to Susan's bedside. "No, this doesn't make any sense. There were no signs of her approaching consciousness," the nurse says.

"And speaking too."
    The doctor grabs a printout of her brainwaves over the past few hours and studies it. "Quite remarkable."

"It must have been the medication cocktail you gave her yesterday. You're a genius, Dr Newman."

"No, no, it's definitely down to excellent nursing care."

Great bedside manner you got there, guys.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

"...yesterday?

Wait, how long have I been out?"

Lines only she can see temporarily forgotten.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

LoH Hospital

(This should totally be renamed Lots of Love Hospital )

Finally, the two men actually look at the patient, then at each other, and then Dr Newman coughs and steps a few beds down to pretend to examine another patient while Nurse Boyd sits down on the rolling stool and slides close to the bed. He seems to have suddenly remembered his job, and delivers his news with as much compassion as possible.

"Miss Decker, I'm afraid I have some bad news to give you. Your home... I'm sorry, your parents and (insert siblings here) were killed. You were the only survivor."

Spoiler
    Show
    NOOOOOOO!!!!! Not (insert! Not siblings here)!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

Susan knows she should feel something.

She can remember their faces, their behavior... mum's smile, dad's laughter, the constant annoyance of her siblings...

but she doesn't. Not in the way a daughter should. Just... like a stranger would. Regret over their deaths, but...

"...I... see."

It's perfectly possible that the doctors might just mistake this for being emotionally numb, and they'd be partially right.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2011-09-26 at 07:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

LoH Hospital

Nurse Boyd actually attributes it to brain damage.

"You've been in a coma for <insert period of time>. We weren't expecting you to recover at all."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

...that's... actually remarkably accurate. On a metaphysical rather than physical level, but still.

"...oh. What... what happens now?"

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

LoH Hospital

"First, we'll run some tests. Then we'll begin the work of rehabilitation starting with the use of location tags."
    Nurse Boyd says.

Medical montage?

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

LoH Hospital

"Okay."

Yeah, medical montage.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

LoH Hospital

*some indistinct amount of time later*

"You've made remarkable progress, Miss Decker. Unfortunately I can't really say more because my player has no idea what your condition started as and what it should end as. That's why your player has to narrate the events of the montage"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs