New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Jade Regent: The Brinewall Legacy (IC)

Hiriko nods absent-mindedly at the comment from Dominic. "Yeah, you're right-"

Then, the splash and silence. Hiriko frowns, and places her hand on her sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

Jamben blushes as Shalelu sends him off.

"Don't worry. I'll try to make it back safely."

He sometimes lags behind the rest of the group, pausing every now and again to observe an unusual plant for his collection or some natural wonder that he could give to Shalelu. He doesn't hear the splash until he reaches the rest of the group, seeing them tense.

"Something wrong?"
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

You begin your trudge through the swamp. The noises of the animals, strange and morose, begin again, but continue a habit of disappearing as often as they do appear. The croaking of frogs, the hoots of owls, the buzz and hum of insects, all seems to take a dire tone here, as though no bright thing exists in the Marsh. More than once you stop and ready weapons upon hearing what seems like an eerie low growl or bellow from deeper into the swamp, however nothing comes of it.

You encounter your first marsh bridge fairly soon into your exploration. A soggy wooden affair with a mossy surface and a few missing planks, it does seem sturdy nonetheless. On the other side of the bridge, all of you catch a glimpse of something hidden just off the side of the man-made construction. Half-hidden in the mucky waters underneath the bridge is a medium sized animal, however it's difficult to tell exactly what it was from a first glance. It has been horribly mutilated, head missing, most of the limbs ripped of and chunks of flesh missing or spread out nearby.

Past this unsettling sight, you are once more kept on your toes by the wildness of the Brinestump Marsh. Occasionally you may start as a drop of water lands on your back, dropped from the branch of a willow that hangs over the path like a spectre. You cross another bridge, this time thankfully without a dead animal nearby, and continue on the path.

@Hiriko, Domeric, Laine, Kather
    Spoiler
    Show
    On your way through this trek, after passing a corner in the canopy, you notice right in the trail ahead of you, moving across from right brush to left brush, a trail of soggy three-toed footprints, slowly filling with water as if whatever made the print only recently passed by

This deep into the swamp, trees giving shelter from the sun, you pass through clouds of mist that seem permanent in the humidity, obscuring vision, sometimes so much that Hiriko almost leads the group into a pool of sludge and algae instead of the path, however the thickness of the fog allows her to fix this navigation mistake without the others noticing where they were about to head into. You pass a third bridge, and hope that the halfling's house cannot be far.

@Kather
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not long after the third bridge, you could swear that you saw something, a pale human-shaped figure, in the brush past the swamp mists, but upon a second look, it appeared to have vanished.

An hour from when you entered the swamp, you can see that the muddy trail leads up to a swampy lagoon. The open ocean is visible just beyond these shallow waters, while an old two-story building, its walls soggy with moss and its roof sagging with age, sits on the lagoon's eastern shore.

Spoiler
    Show
    Movement in swamp on the trail is at 3/4 speed. Off the trail is 1/2 speed.
    Feel free to interrupt narrative movement, ie, "Before we get to Proudstump's house, I want to inspect the strange red flowers that we passed", just be sure to give me a solid "I'm done investigating, I continue on to Proudstump's house" when you want to be there. Trying to be as accommodating to exploration as I can without bogging down the game or moving too fast.
    Let's Play: Pokemon Leaf Green (Nuzlocke)
    Let's Play: LIMBO
    Let's Play: Home [Complete]
    Let's Play: Cthulhu Saves the World [Complete]
    GM of the Yorkton Gamer Guild at:
    Pink Ameiko Kaijitsu Avatar by A Rainy Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

"Hut-CHOO! 'Scuse me, wasn't expecting a chill like this."

Jamben takes out a handkerchief and blows his nose.

"You think that's the house?"
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Laine

"Fishermen from town use this trail, so it can't be that dangerous," Laine reasons as the group pushes forward. Her voice belies her words, however, as her excited tone has taken on a nervous edge.

"Well, lets see if Mr. Proudstump is home,"
    she says, walking down the path to the house.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2011-09-13 at 01:15 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kather

Considering the fine start their little adventure had, the turn it had taken after reaching the marsh shouldn't have worried Kather. As he remembered, this was what traveling was like. Still, the nervousness did creep in after they encountered the corpse. As he continued to stride confidently along, using his spear as a makeshift walking stick, he couldn't help but feel that the cause of the nervousness was Jamben's need to inspect some new sight every few minutes and fall behind. After the figure appeared in the mists though Kather was certain that it really was the marsh that was the cause.

"Must be," Kather answered Jamben's question as he took a protective position just beside Laine, "Now remember, be respectful. This is Proudstump's turf."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: nature to determine if the brutalized corpse was killed via natural or manufactured weapons and possibly what kind of animal it was.
    (1d20+8)[24]
    Another once they encounter the fog to determine if it is unnatural
    (1d20+8)[19]
    with detect magic to follow if it is.
    Finally another detect magic to check for spell wards once they reach the house.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"I suppose it would be his house," Domeric mutters, his mind preoccupied with thoughts about the dead animal and strange footprints. "We should still be careful."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

8. - Top - End - #38

As you plod down the mud path and approach the house, the door to it swings open and a halfling steps outside to meet you.

Spoiler
    Show

It's apparent even from the few steps that he takes, that he seems exhausted and moves somewhat stiffly, and as you approach you see signs of unhealed wounds on the halfling, though nothing life threatening. His clothes have seen better days as well. Nevertheless, he smiles and waves as you approach. "Hello there. What brings the five of you out into the Marsh?

((Yikes, two posts while I was writing up mine!))
    @Kather
    Spoiler
    Show
    You believe the animal was a deer. You believe it was killed and torn apart with natural weapons, however there was some monstrous force beyond it, so it is difficult to get the specifics. The Fog is natural, just an occasional spot that has been sheltered from the sun, and you detect no magic wards on the house.
    Last edited by Pink; 2011-09-13 at 08:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Laine

"Pleased to meet you, I'm Laine. There's been a bounty posted on the local goblins here in the swamp, and we were told that you were the halfling to see on about matters pertaining Brinestump Marsh. We'd love the opportunity to pick your brain, if you don't mind." Reels off Laine as she approaches.

Getting close enough to see Proudstump's wounds, Laine says, "you look a little worse for wear, good sir. Have the goblins been harassing you?"

10. - Top - End - #40

"Goblins? No, no. Their village is southeast from here, don't bother me much. I got these from having to run a giant snake off my land. It got a few good bites at me, and the poison mucks up the joints. You got to watch out for the scaly pests in these parts." He says as you approach. "If you want to find goblins you're better taking the trail that leads into the marsh from the east. You know, it's probably a good thing you came, and that you get over there as quick as you can. Been all sorts of pops and explosions from their village lately. I checked it out just the other day, I swear they were gathering goblins from other tribes and arming them with their little explosive treasures. They might march of Sandpoint anyday now if you don't break them up. You'd better hurry and get over there as quick as you can, no sense wasting time talking with me when they're about to attack."
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

"Run a snake off your land? I was told you loved snakes. Kept them as pets," Jamben says, confused.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jamben makes an untrained Sense Motive check: (1d20+2)[4]

12. - Top - End - #42

"Well, the normal sized kind are fine and dandy, I do keep a few of those as pets in my back garden, but the giant ones are brutes that need hunting down." the marsh warden replies, giving a little stretch to his stiff, poison addled body.

@Jamben
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though your suspicions are aroused, his explanation seems reasonable and you cannot spot a trace of a lie in his voice.

((While in this case the dc was low enough that you could made the knowledge check untrained rolling a one, in the future try not to use other characters information without it being told to you please. ))
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Domeric

The archer considers this new information, but can't help but be distracted by the halfling's injuries and nonchalance toward them. Still, the goblins were the bigger concern here, "If they've got so many goblins that they seriously threaten Sandpoint, I'm not sure how much we'd be able to do stop. I suppose if we're careful there wouldn't be any harm in checking out their village."

Domeric looks out in the distance, as if expecting to see goblins marching toward the town, and then turns back to Proudstump. "Are... are you okay? Do you need any assistance?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    "Well, the normal sized kind are fine and dandy, I do keep a few of those as pets in my back garden, but the giant ones are brutes that need hunting down." the marsh warden replies, giving a little stretch to his stiff, poison addled body.

@Jamben
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though your suspicions are aroused, his explanation seems reasonable and you cannot spot a trace of a lie in his voice.

((While in this case the dc was low enough that you could made the knowledge check untrained rolling a one, in the future try not to use other characters information without it being told to you please. ))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I thought that bit had been said when everyone was gathered together.

Jamben

"I can definitely help. I know a thing or two about poison treatment."
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2011-09-13 at 11:44 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

@Domeric
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can see that one of the uncovered wounds does appear to be a puncture mark that would be consistent with a snake bite. However the halfling appears in no eminent danger, the wounds are no longer bleeding, and chances are if he's survived the poison this long, he'll only get better with time.

"Well, if you're offering aid, I certainly won't turn it down. I was just going to have some old-fashioned bed rest myself, set some traps and keep an eye out for if the goblins decided to move straight north through the marsh." Walthus says, motioning for the doctor to come over and look at his wounds. "Any help with healing the damage done by the poison is most appreciated, that takes the longest to heal and bogs me down the most."

"Now with goblins, even with all of them gathered there, chances are you take out the leader, and they'll be blowing themselves up in the confusion. So if I were you, I'd be heading towards them as soon as I could, stop them before they could get fully prepared."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kather

"I suppose our course seems to be set then," Kather says as he walks up to Walthus, "But I would like to ask if you've seen any of a pale, human-shaped figure out here recently? I thought I saw one along the path earlier and would appreciate any insight."

Once Proudstump answers, Kather offers his hand, channeling a minor healing spell into its palm, [Druidic]"Good luck brother, and be safe."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure light wounds cast on Walthus
    (1d8+1)[2]

17. - Top - End - #47

Walthus appreciates the healing, [Druidic]"Thank you brother.", however very few of his wounds heal from the spell.

In common, he says, "I cannot say that I've seen or heard of a creature matching that description. I shall keep an eye out." suddenly it seems like something occurs to him. "How large was it? Halfling sized?"

@Kather
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just to clear things up, as far as you know, Walthus is NOT part of a Druidic order.
    Also, the figure you saw was human sized.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

Jamben takes a closer look at the injury as it heals.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check: (1d20+6)[24]

19. - Top - End - #49

@Jamben
    Spoiler
    Show
    Examining the halfling's wounds, while you notice the poor healing effect was likely just do to a less powerful spell, as happens, you notice several oddities to the halfling's wounds that don't match his story. The snake bites seem to be just from regular sized snakes, and some of his wounds appear to have been inflicted by a hacking weapon, like a small handaxe.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

"Mr. Proudstump? Has anyone been here recently? It looks like some of your injuries weren't inflicted by snakebite. More like someone struck you with a weapon...like an axe."

Spoiler
    Show
    Jamben will attempt another Sense Motive check in light of this new information. (1d20+2)[3]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Hiriko's looks at Jamben in surprise, and listens to Proudstump's next words very, very carefully.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive! (d20+5)[19]
    Last edited by horngeek; 2011-09-13 at 03:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Laine

Laine is about to tell Dr. Jamben to stop badgering the poor halfling--who cares if he's a little over-fond of snakes?--when he mentions axe wounds. She pays closer attention to the halfling's response.

Spoiler
    Show
    lets make it three sense motive checks (1d20+4)[18]

23. - Top - End - #53

At Jamben's words, the friendly face of the halfling quickly turns to an angry scowl. Before many of you can properly take in the sudden change of emotion, something like a ripple rolls disturbingly over the features of his body and clothes, and the form of the halfling rapidly begins changing into...something else. Dr. Jamben, already suspicious, has a chance to act while Walthus is in the midst of his quick transformation.

Initiative
    Party Surprise Round: Dr. Jamben
    Enemy Surprise Round: Walthus???
    Party First Round: Domeric, Laine, Dr. Jamben, Kather
    ((Reminder, when it's the party's turn, you don't need to post in a particular order.))

((Note to self, size grid to fit map, not map to fit grid.))
    Placement
    Walthus??? - I5
    Dr. Jamben - J5
    Kather - I4
    Hiriko - I3
    Laine - J3
    Domeric - J2

Spoiler
    Show
    For having the evidence and suspicion, I'll say that Jamben gets to act in the surprise round. And he rolls higher on Initiative. Which is good for him.
    Last edited by Pink; 2011-09-13 at 07:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

Jamben shrieks when he sees the former halfling become...something. He instinctively pulls out his dagger and makes a blind stab at the creature. Bombs wouldn't help when the thing could just grab him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[11]
    Damage (if it hits): (1d4+1)[5]

25. - Top - End - #55

Though ready for treachery, the good doctor is not ready for the monstrous transformation that takes the halfling in the blink of an eye. His dagger attack fails as, in the place of the halfling now stands a wrinkled, hunch-backed small sized humanoid creature with mottled brown-and-red flesh and a spherical head with no true face - only a crooked slit from which a rasp like tongue periodically lashes and licks.

Spoiler
    Show

Hissing as it reveals it's true form, the creature swings suddenly at Kather, brutally hitting him in the solar plexus and floating ribs, the sudden pain too much for the old Druid, Kather falling to the ground. ((14 points of damage, Kather is unconscious and bleeding at -5))

Initiative:
    Party First Round: Domeric, Laine, Dr. Jamben, Kather(Dying)

Placement
    Walthus??? - I5
    Dr. Jamben - J5
    Kather - I4
    Hiriko - I3
    Laine - J3
    Domeric - J2
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Laine

Laine nimbly jumps back a step and begins muttering an incantation. At her spell's crescendo she opens her mouth in what looks like a scream, but no audible sound emerges.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 ft step to K2, move action to beging inspire courage battle dance (only affects Laine) standard action to cast Ear Piercing Scream at the creature
    (1d6)[2] damage and dazed for 1 round, DC 14 Fort save for no daze and half damage

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

What the hell...?

Domeric quickly dashes to a point where he can hit the strange creature without his comrades obstructing his view. He has no idea what the thing is, but he suspects that it should be just as averse to arrow punctures as any regular foe. When he has a clear view of his target, he draws an arrow, and swiftly lets it loose.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to K5 is possible, because otherwise it would be getting cover from Hiriko and Kather (some people don't realize that precise shot does not overcome this).

Standard Action: Attack
    Hit: (1d20+6)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Jamben

"Kather!" the doctor cries as he sees the creature strike him down. He immediately rushes over to the fallen druid and attempts to administer first aid to keep him alive.

"I'm NOT letting anyone die this early!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Jamben moves to J4 and makes a Heal check to stabilize Kather: (1d20+6)[19]

29. - Top - End - #59

The creature seems only mildly annoyed by Laine's strange spell, ignores the arrow that shoots over it's head and into the side of the soggy house, and attacks the good doctor, able to strike the half-elf twice as Jamben moves in an act of self-sacrifice to position the old druid to prevent any internal bleeding, however the doctor does suffer wounds in the process (8 Damage to Jamben).

Initiative:
    Party First Round: Domeric, Laine, Dr. Jamben, Hiriko, Kather(Unconcious)

Placement
    Walthus??? - I5
    Dr. Jamben - J4
    Kather - I4
    Hiriko - I3
    Laine - K2
    Domeric - K5
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Domeric curses under his breath, but as he already has a clear view of his target, he is able to quickly draw and fire two of his arrows at the strange creature. Hopefully before it manages to knock out anyone else.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 foot step to K5 if possible

To hit: (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[11]

To hit: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired: