New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Campaign Help?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Campaign Help?

So I just started a new Pathfinder game. Books and sources are strictly PF (no 3.5 stuff) and the DM kept us in the dark regarding what other players were gonna play to cut down on metagaming builds (apparently his last group abused teamwork feats or something). We are starting at level one, max starting gold, PLUS basic equipment (regular weapons and armor, no masterwork stuff). So, as it stands we have the following in the party:

My Human Slashing Grace Swashbuckler (likely ending up as the tank, scout, and party face).
    A Human Archery build Ranger (might've been elf, either way, low CON and HP, likely our skillmonkey).
    A Dhampir Conjurer (Knowledge-bot and only source of magic at this point).
    Possibly another player (more than likely aiming at a bard or paladin, either way, not likely a solid healer type, based on what I know of him).

Question is, are there any real ways of getting some decent healing in the party aside from wands and potions? Are there any traits or feats that could benefit us as a party or is this as grim looking as I think it is?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Campaign Help?

Quote Originally Posted by carrdrivesyou View Post
    Question is, are there any real ways of getting some decent healing in the party aside from wands and potions? Are there any traits or feats that could benefit us as a party or is this as grim looking as I think it is?
    First off, Pathfinder made it possible to use the Heal skill to, well, actually heal people. One hour and a DC 20 check lets you Treat Deadly Wounds, restoring 1 hit point per HD of the patient. A creature can only benefit from TDW once per day, but the Battlefield Surgeon trait provides Heal as a class skill and lets you use TDW on creatures an extra time each day. Looking at the rules text of the Heal skill again, the per-day limit is a quality of the patient, but Battlefield Surgeon's extra use per day is a quality of the healer. If you consider the patient's TDW limit as a binary true/false value (which is totally reasonable), this allows multiple Battlefield Surgeons to stack their traits, with n Battlefield Surgeons providing (n+1) TDWs per character per day.
    0. The patient has deadly wounds that need treating. They have had Treat Deadly Wounds used on them zero times today. Any healer can use TDW on the patient one more time.
    1. The first healer use TDW on the patient.
    2. The patient has had TDW used on them today. The first healer would normally be able to use TDW on them zero more times today, but Battlefield Surgeon allows them to TDW on them one more time.
    3. The patient has had TDW used on them today. The second healer would normally be able to use TDW on them zero more times today, but Battlefield Surgeon allows them to use TDW on them one more time.

The Friendless trait allows you to use Heal on yourself for disease, poison, and deadly wounds. It's a Tiefling race trait, but Adopted lets anyone pick it up, and Adopted grants the selected race trait as part of its benefits, so Adopted (Friendless) costs one trait.

Two Battlefield Surgeons or one Friendless Battlefield Surgeon would be enough to provide at least some healing to everyone in the party. When you need healing, you set up a temporary camp and do the following. Characters who can make the Heal check by taking 10 (Heal +8 or better and a healing kit) each use TDW on another injured character (or on themselves if injured and Friendless). After the hour passes, the Battlefield Surgeons each treat an uninjured character they weren't treating in the previous hour. They then rotate and use TDW on the next patient until everyone's sufficiently healed, everyone's been treated (healers +1) times, or it's time to keep moving or rest for the night.

A 5th-level Unchained Rogue or a character with Signature Skill can access the Heal skill unlock, which makes Treat Deadly Wounds totally awesome. At 5/10/15/20 ranks, TDW heals 2/4/6/8 HP per HD of the patient, along with 1/2/3/4 points of ability damage per ability score.

Long-term care, of course, also still exists, doubling the daily natural healing rate to 2 HP per HD and 2 ability damage per stat.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!