New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    Diplomacy optimization is not worth it. After doing this schtick once or twice, rest assured all your encounters are going to be with Golems and undead. Or mechanical traps. Or thousands of archers attacking in volley from large range before you get a chance to talk.
    That's what happened when I optimized for negative levels.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

That's actually why all one trick ponies are bad. Diversify, man.

3. - Top - End - #453

I usually don't even play casters anyway, I just wanted to see how negative levels would work out.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Basket Burner View Post
    Speak up sonny!

The Listen DC to hear that people are talking is DC 0, however you have to beat the DC by 10 to understand what was being said.

That means that if an average person with no ranks and Wis 10 is addressed in a clear, strong voice by someone 10 feet away there is only a 50% chance they will understand what is being said and will have extreme difficulty carrying on a conversation with them. As the DC is 11, taking 10 is impossible, meaning that the typical conversation between two ordinary people sounds more like that of the elderly, who are LESS likely to have trouble being hard of hearing.
    I dunno man, I've had plenty of conversations where I'd go "what?"
    "I'm sorry?" "could you repeat that?" over the course of a conversation.

so maybe it's more spot on than you think....

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    I dunno man, I've had plenty of conversations where I'd go "what?"
    "I'm sorry?" "could you repeat that?" over the course of a conversation.

so maybe it's more spot on than you think....

I wouldn't say HALF of the conversation. Maybe a quarter… so beat the DC by 5 to understand?
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

At greater than 10 feet, you're going to be speaking up a bit. That would pull the base DC a little into the negatives (I KNOW I've seen at least one item that involved a negative Listen DC because it was so freaking loud, so it can happen).

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Disfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    There's the old "Heal by Drowning" trick, that needs no further explanation.
    It should be noted that there are absolutely no rules for fixing drowing in official 3.5e materiel. By RAW, once you start drowning, you die in 3 rounds, no save.

Quote Originally Posted by etrpgb View Post
    What about Travel Devotion? You can move all your movement in a Immediate Action. It means you can avoid a fall jumping midair! Or do a double jump!
    Listen closely kids:

Double Jumping is perfectly legit in D&D. breaking the rules of physics by sheer awesome/skill is something every 6th level or higher D&D character can do by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Treblain View Post
    Here's one: the Invisible Blade requires Point Blank Shot and Far Shot. The Invisible Blade is based on feinting, which can only be used in melee.
    The original Invisible Blade was 10 levels and had throwing abilities. The writer erata'd the 5 level version to have Weapon Focus as a prereq instead, and put the original 10 level up on his own website.

So basically Executive meddling at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    To be fair, earlier iterations of D&D did make Evasion into the Incredible Bouncing Thief (Rogue). Allied Magic-Users would target the Thief in order to get him closer to or further from the enemy, as needed.
    1) Kobold rogues of level 8 or higher can still do this in 3.5e. Yay for racial sub levels.

2) This is awesome, and D&D breaks physics all the time anyway. There's no reason it shouldn't be allowed. I bounce off 3 fireballs and land on the giant to stab him in the eye = Awesome.

8. - Top - End - #458

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAir View Post
    It should be noted that there are absolutely no rules for fixing drowing in official 3.5e materiel. By RAW, once you start drowning, you die in 3 rounds, no save.
    No, according to RAW, after three rounds, you drown. It does not specify what effects the status of "drowned" are.

One interpretation is that, as it says you start drowning on round 1, once round 3 comes around the process is over… and you can start over again. Of course, this now introduces an infinite loop of "I start drowning, fall to 0 and unconscious. Next round, I'm at -1 and I lose one health a round. 3rd round, I get kicked out of the loop. Following round, I start drowning and "fall" to 0 and unconscious…", which in my opinion is more absurd than a simple "heal by drowning".
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    No, according to RAW, after three rounds, you drown. It does not specify what effects the status of "drowned" are.

One interpretation is that, as it says you start drowning on round 1, once round 3 comes around the process is over… and you can start over again. Of course, this now introduces an infinite loop of "I start drowning, fall to 0 and unconscious. Next round, I'm at -1 and I lose one health a round. 3rd round, I get kicked out of the loop. Following round, I start drowning and "fall" to 0 and unconscious…", which in my opinion is more absurd than a simple "heal by drowning".
    ... That's even better!

You don't even get to die and roll up a new character. You're just stuck in drowning limbo until someone convinces a DM to allow a wish or miracle to fix the loop.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

... Or until someone rescues you.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    ... Or until someone rescues you.
    By RAW, there's no way to stop drowning. Rescuing doesn't work (in core, anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #462

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    By RAW, there's no way to stop drowning. Rescuing doesn't work (in core, anyway).
    see first aid: under heal skill.

RAW is quite a large thing to try and fit in such a tiny box.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    see first aid: under heal skill.

RAW is quite a large thing to try and fit in such a tiny box.
    Actually, that only allows stabilization of dying characters. If you read the rules on drowning, you'll see that while the second round does qualify someone as "dying", the effect on the third round does not depend on whether or not someone is dying. Drowning starts a set of effects that proceed over three rounds, with no way to stop the progression.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #464

SwashbucklerGuy

Except that the way interpreted above, the third round, you have "drowned", which I would take to mean that the 3-round process is complete. You'd still be at negatives and dying, but unless you are still submerged, you are not drowning. Staying submerged is what will get you into this infinite loop (in this interpretation, at least).

EDIT: Fixed spelling error (stupid autocorrect)
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2011-11-06 at 11:39 AM.

*It does.*

What.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Except that the way interpreted above, the third round, you have "drowned", which I would take to mean that the 3-round process is complete. You'd still be at negatives and dying, but unless you are still submerged, you are not growing. Staying submerged is what will get you into this infinite loop (in this interpretation, at least).
    Ah, that's what you meant.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #466

Not sure if it is covered here, but Pixies' natural state ("this ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action") is invisible. Pixies can not naturally see invisible.
    Last edited by Tyger; 2011-11-09 at 02:20 PM.
    Thanks The Neoclassic for my avatar!

Stark Raving Dad - a blog about life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by theos911 View Post
    Fighter: I can kill a guy in one turn.
    Cleric: I can kill a guy in half a turn.
    Wizard: I can kill a guy before my turn!
    Bard: I can get 12 idiots to go kill guys for me
    Quote Originally Posted by grarrrg View Post
    Oh, and Person-Man's real name is a little something called "SKYNET"

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Not sure if it is covered here, but Pixies' natural state ("this ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action") is invisible. Pixies can not naturally see invisible.
    Wow, raising baby pixies must be tricky. Can't see where they are until they hit the level of intelligence where they know how to suppress it.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Psions can manifest a power called "Ear Hand" that lets you presumably scoop up objects that are ≤5lbs with an invisible ear.

the Magnificent Captain's Coat requires that you become a pirate and terrorise the countryside while impersonating someone's dirty laundry

"Threat the coast as a shirt or vestment" stormwrack p 133
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Anything killed by negative levels becomes a Wight. Wight is a creature, not a template.

Therefore, if you kill a Great Wyrm Red Dragon with Negative Levels, it will rise as a Medium, distorted-human-shaped undead with very few attacks compared to the Dragon.
    Actually, there is a Wight template in Savage Species that can be added to any humanoid, and another Wight template from Dragon #300 that can be applied to any corporeal creature except constructs, oozes, and undead. So you can in fact have a wight dragon that isn't terribly weaker than living dragons (as opposed to white dragons, which always suck relative to other dragons ).
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

20. - Top - End - #470
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Psions can manifest a power called "Ear Hand" that lets you presumably scoop up objects that are ≤5lbs with an invisible ear.

the Magnificent Captain's Coat requires that you become a pirate and terrorise the countryside while impersonating someone's dirty laundry

"Threat the coast as a shirt or vestment" stormwrack p 133
    If I remember correctly, they released errata correcting it to "Far Hand".
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    I know, I'm being silly. I don't think they really meant that any more than they thought that dread pirates should spend their time impersonating shirts. this was clearly not their intent with the rules, but it's what is written and it's still pretty funny

page 152 of the player's handbook, the last sentence in the paragraph about concealment miss chance must be read to be believed since telling people about it will just make you look like a pervert
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #472
    Dwarf in the Playground

I know, I'm being silly. I don't think they really meant that any more than they thought that dread pirates should spend their time impersonating shirts. this was clearly not their intent with the rules, but it's what is written and it's still pretty funny

page 152 of the player's handbook, the last sentence in the paragraph about concealment miss chance must be read to be believed since telling people about it will just make you look like a pervert
    "The DM may impose other penalties or restrictions to attack depending on the details of the cover. For example, to strike effectively through a narrow opening, you need to use a long piercing weapon,"

I'm pretty sure this isn't what you were referring to, but I still got a chuckle out of it.(It's on the same page)

23. - Top - End - #473
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It made me think of something else.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Actually, there is a Wight template in Savage Species that can be added to any humanoid, and another Wight template from Dragon #300 that can be applied to any corporeal creature except constructs, oozes, and undead. So you can in fact have a wight dragon that isn't terribly weaker than living dragons (as opposed to white dragons, which always suck relative to other dragons ).
    Well, when Wights were released, there wasn't a template.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    "The DM may impose other penalties or restrictions to attack depending on the details of the cover. For example, to strike effectively through a narrow opening, you need to use a long piercing weapon,"

I'm pretty sure this isn't what you were referring to, but I still got a chuckle out of it.(It's on the same page)
    That's funny too, but I was referring to "concealment miss chance", not "varying degrees of cover"

in any event, here's the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    Multiple concealment conditions (such
    as a defender in a dog and under the effect of a blur spell) do not
    stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by KicktheCAN View Post
    yep, thats the one
    Last edited by Venger; 2011-11-16 at 10:48 AM.

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #476

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    So it's known across the land Ear and Far?
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    So it's known across the land Ear and Far?
    you win an internet

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #478

you win an internet
    Yaaay! I just work with what I'm given.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PHB View Post
    Multiple concealment conditions (such
    as a defender in a dog and under the effect of a blur spell) do not
    stack.
    There are different editions of the PH - unfortunately in mine they fixed this one. I have come across other differences between editions, even in actual rules.
    Last edited by nedz; 2011-11-16 at 02:56 PM.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    There are different editions of the PH - unfortunately in mine they fixed this one. I have come across other differences between editions, even in actual rules.
    Unfortunately, this is true, which is why I quoted the relevant passage for the enjoyment of those who have a later version that fixed the typo.

Iron Chef Medals!