New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Presumably he wasn't worshipping Pelor at the time; maybe he just forgot to take off the now-inappropriate holy symbol, or now used it as an unholy symbol while acting as a cleric of the force of Evil (there's something fitting in that).
    or the more popular theory that Pelor is secretly an evil aligned deity, Pelor the Burning Hate
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #782
    Banned

That seems like a bigger stretch, since it would mean actually Good-aligned clerics who tried to worship him would get a driver conflict. He's stated to be the most widely-worshipped deity in human lands, so presumably lots of clerics worship him; someone would notice if they were all evil.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

I forget how it really goes, but basically Pelor is an evil god, has tricked the other gods into thinking he is good, and grants spells to good aligned clerics as a way to hide. Should some cleric figure out that he is evil, it wouldn't be too hard to see him being granted a separate list of spells to further Pelor's evil agendas, without the good clerics knowing about it.

EDIT:Seems that is about the only true statement of my post.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2012-07-08 at 05:09 AM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

4. - Top - End - #784
    Banned

If you want an evil (or at least nongood) sun god, you can find a better candidate than Pelor. I'm rather fond of Taiia from Deities and Demigods, who's neutral and has both a Creator aspect and a Destroyer side. She's presented as an example of monotheism, but it wouldn't be hard to power her down a little and just slot her into Pelor's place. By a strict interpretation she wouldn't be allowed to have LG or CG clerics anymore, but the same would be true of an evil god, and you could always opt to waive that rule in the case of ultra-powerful and amoral deities (Boccob for instance doesn't seem like he ought to be that picky).

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

It is just a silly thread that was started to try to rationalise some minor inconsistencies in Pelor's portrayal in some sourcebooks (including the Jozan casting of symbol of pain). I linked it a few pages back if you want to read it ( I would link again; but I am posting from my phone and linking like this is a bitch).
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #786
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you want an evil (or at least nongood) sun god, you can find a better candidate than Pelor. I'm rather fond of Taiia from Deities and Demigods, who's neutral and has both a Creator aspect and a Destroyer side. She's presented as an example of monotheism, but it wouldn't be hard to power her down a little and just slot her into Pelor's place. By a strict interpretation she wouldn't be allowed to have LG or CG clerics anymore, but the same would be true of an evil god, and you could always opt to waive that rule in the case of ultra-powerful and amoral deities (Boccob for instance doesn't seem like he ought to be that picky).
    Taiia is one of my favourite deities from the D&D worlds.
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #787

Back on topic, fire elementals can burn to death in the desert.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #788

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Well that's just silly.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    they are also RAW vulnerable to a pyrokineticist's overheat special ability
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

10. - Top - End - #790
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    they are also RAW vulnerable to a pyrokineticist's overheat special ability
    Makes sense. They're already so hot that overheating them should be a cinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Silence is a Bard Spell.

Bards cannot use Silent Spell, and whilst they are all about sonic spells Silence is the opposite of that.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

12. - Top - End - #792
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Silence is a Bard Spell.

Bards cannot use Silent Spell, and whilst they are all about sonic spells Silence is the opposite of that.
    It's not unreasonable that a bard should be able to use sound to cancel other sounds. In fact, that is how noise cancelling headphones work. Also, this is not too dissimilar to counter-song.

13. - Top - End - #793

There's an old Russian army joke to that effect:

Sergeant: Private, turn off* that engine!
    Private: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

*Zaglushi can be taken to mean both "turn off" or "drown out". This is the joke.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #794
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Pelor, the burning hate.
    It's mostly a joke, but some of the stuff is pretty fishy.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I thought we were arguing whether Magic Missile could crank out Riemann sums...

15. - Top - End - #795
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Cover rules on PhB, Page 133, table 8-9.
    Total cover does not give you a bonus to AC or Reflex saves.

The SRD does not have the table, btw.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie-ranger View Post
    Cover rules on PhB, Page 133, table 8-9.
    Total cover does not give you a bonus to AC or Reflex saves.

The SRD does not have the table, btw.
    That's because total cover makes you immune to anything that would need either of those numbers.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #797
    Banned

Personally, I like how your Swim check is apparently not hindered in the slightest by having your hands full, as long as the things you're holding don't weigh enough to encumber you and inflict an ACP. Even in 3.0 where you used every single pound of gear to calculate a penalty, you could still swim just as well with a magically weightless polearm in one hand and a magically weightless kite shield in the other as you could with your hands free. (I can imagine using a wooden shield as a floatation device, but the fact that a masterwork metal shield has 0 ACP means that it has no effect on your Swim check in 3.5, and your weapon never does unless it weighs enough to encumber you.)

18. - Top - End - #798
    Halfling in the Playground

A mathematical reading of cold snaps in pathfinder shows that they increase temperature by ten degrees.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja PieKing View Post
    A mathematical reading of cold snaps in pathfinder shows that they increase temperature by ten degrees.
    I beg your pardon? (I can't tell what you're referring to with a quick look around.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #800

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    I beg your pardon? (I can't tell what you're referring to with a quick look around.)
    I'm going to guess it says something like, "The temperature is reduced by -10 degrees."
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I'm going to guess it says something like, "The temperature is reduced by -10 degrees."
    I'm pretty sure that's not the only case of "a -X penalty" in the D&D rules....

22. - Top - End - #802

I'm pretty sure that's not the only case of "a -X penalty" in the D&D rules....
    Actually, "a -X penalty" isn't necessarily wrong, simply because of the nature of the word "penalty" compared to "reduced". The latter implies a particular direction; the former merely implies a detriment of some sort. You take a -X and that's the penalty. But reducing it by -X means increasing it. The semantics are different.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Halfling in the Playground

It is because subtracting a negative creates a positive

24. - Top - End - #804

You don't take a "+X penalty" in any wording of anything ever, though. This is a penalty, and its value is -X. It is a -X penalty. They explain that this is how they word things. The wording on cold snaps must be more vague.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Bugbear in the Playground

It says cold snaps (weather effect, not the spell) reduce the temperature by -10 degrees.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    It says cold snaps (weather effect, not the spell) reduce the temperature by -10 degrees.
    What do you know, I got it right.
    So yeah, a cold snap increases the temperature by ten degrees.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Banned

Do you think it's intentional that orcs do not have the ability to treat Orcish Double Axes as martial weapons, the way dwarves and gnomes can for their races' double weapons?

28. - Top - End - #808

Do you think it's intentional that orcs do not have the ability to treat Orcish Double Axes as martial weapons, the way dwarves and gnomes can for their races' double weapons?
    Yes. The Orcish Double Axe is a trick used by Orcs to reduce the combat performance of enemy armies, not an actual weapon they make to use.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #809
    Banned

Under the Disarm option:

Note: A defender wearing spiked gauntlets (page 118) can’t be
    disarmed.
    A defender using a weapon attached to a locked gauntlet
    (page 124) gets a +10 bonus to resist being disarmed.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wearing a spiked gauntlet does not actually prevent you from holding a weapon in that hand. (If it did, then it's not much of a gauntlet, but more like a stump spike, worn over the hand instead of replacing it, but making it useless nonetheless). So, by holding your +12 Sword of Ungainliness in one spiked-gauntleted hand, your opponent can't knock it out of your head. This makes the Locked Gauntlet quite useless by comparison.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

That rule is clearly intended to mean that the spiked gauntlet itself cannot be removed from the character by a disarm. But yes, you're right about what the actual wording exactly as written means. Of course, by that same reading you could have a spiked gauntlet on one hand and it would grant disarm immunity to the weapon you're holding in your other hand.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)