New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Knowledge Devotion is pretty well designed feat. It provides relevant bonus, scales but not for free and rewards having more than one person in a party who's not a total ignoramus.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by n00bsticker View Post
    No, it is literally zero percent of what I have said. Everything has addressed game mechanics and what is good and what is bad design. If you don't care what is good design and what is bad design don't assume everybody else is in the same boat.
    Well, you'll have to forgive us then, since what you've said so far has amounted to demanding that Knowledge Devotion work like the Truenamer.

The class which is generally agreed to be completely broken in the unplayable sense and the only handbook for which advises people to never, ever play the class because it was so poorly designed.

So, you'll find that a good portion of the community disagrees with your assertion that such would be good design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #93

A dread necromancer is the scariest creature alive. You fail one save against his fear aura, and even if you kill him, a whole ten years later, you're still shaken from that one look. (RAW, a dread necromancer's fear aura has no duration so it never ends)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The class which is generally agreed to be completely broken in the unplayable sense and the only handbook for which advises people to never, ever play the class because it was so poorly designed.
    It's not actually the only one.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Since people mentioned Swordsage AC (even though that isn't dysfunctional):
    I mentioned Armored Uncanny Dodge: What is the Eternal Blade even trying to help with?
    Is there some Uncanny dodge abilities that only work in light armor? Did they assume it was for for light armor for Barbarians/Rogues?

Why give an useless ability?

Supposedly, it is Uncanny Dodge but works in any armor... but they all do....

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    At what level do you think it would be fair for a character to get +5 to hit and damage from knowledge devotion?
    The way it works utilizing the house rule I have already described, +5 to hit and damage comes online around level 9-10, just not for every monster that you fight. This is intentional, and by design.

Before anybody starts crying about the skill points, skills are so horrendously under powered that you could completely remove them from the game, assume that everyone has full ranks, and you'd barely even notice it. Feats, again, are under powered and spending a feat on something is as irrelevant as spending a couple skill points in the grand scheme.

He's saying that the obcurity of the more powerful monsters is countered by their more pronouced roles in myths (and presumably the character's greater knowledge skill).
    Mythological stories about monsters are not equivalent to knowledge that grants combat bonuses.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The way it works utilizing the house rule I have already described, +5 to hit and damage comes online around level 9-10, just not for every monster that you fight. This is intentional, and by design.

Before anybody starts crying about the skill points, skills are so horrendously under powered that you could completely remove them from the game, assume that everyone has full ranks, and you'd barely even notice it. Feats, again, are under powered and spending a feat on something is as irrelevant as spending a couple skill points in the grand scheme.
    At what level do you think the DC for +5 to hit and damage should be achievably?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

8. - Top - End - #98

{{Scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-09-12 at 01:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    At what level do you think the DC for +5 to hit and damage should be achievably?
    I think he wants the feat to give weaker benefits against stronger opponents. Kinda like (Great) Cleave.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

{Scrub the post, scrub the post}
    I think you're coming off as a bit arrogant here. Honestly, no matter the substance of your arguments, if you keep saying stuff like that you're not going to be getting much support.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-09-15 at 12:32 AM.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Spikey Mace of Looking at All Sides of the Question
    Anyone who can tell me what my avatar is gets a cookie.

11. - Top - End - #101

NecromancerGuy

Feats, again, are under powered and spending a feat on something is as irrelevant as spending a couple skill points in the grand scheme.
    Then what's it matter if it's a weak, underpowered feat even when you can reliably hit +5 to hit and damage? Or are you saying that you really, really like the 7 odd feats anyone ever gets in their career to be even weaker than the designers intended with their albatross fighter?

Mythological stories about monsters are not equivalent to knowledge that grants combat bonuses.
    Except when they are things that directly tie into remembering that one story about how Wossname exploited the weakness that medusas have to getting their middle fingers whacked. Funny, that.

Wrong.
    Then speak more clearly so you actually get your point across rather than saying things that are going to be interpreted as something other than your meaning.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-09-11 at 10:42 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I just told you.
    Just to be clear, can you please repeat it. A single number between 0 and 21.

13. - Top - End - #103

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-09-12 at 12:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-09-12 at 12:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-09-12 at 12:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

I think his problem with Knowledge Devotion is that it's DC doesn't scale depending on the creature being fought, so once you can make the check for +5, it doesn't matter whether you fight a squirrel or Jabberwocky.

[Edit]: Jabberwocky would probably be magical beast or something like that. Imagine it's an animal for the above example.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-09-11 at 11:03 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    I think his problem with Knowledge Devotion is that it's DC doesn't scale depending on the creature being fought, so once you can make the check for +5, it doesn't matter whether you fight a squirrel or Jabberwocky.
    Maybe if he actually helped people understand his position, more people would understand his position.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Edit]: Jabberwocky would probably be magical beast or something like that. Imagine it's an animal for the above example.
    Off topic, but the Pathfinder Bestiary 2 lists it as a dragon.

19. - Top - End - #109

A search for disintegrate in this thread yields nothing, which means it hasn't been mentioned that said spell doesn't work on trees.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post
    A search for disintegrate in this thread yields nothing, which means it hasn't been mentioned that said spell doesn't work on trees.
    Good catch. I'm now off to make myself a Liveoak tower shield.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

NecromancerGuy

I think it also doesn't work on livewood for the same reason, so a livewood ship is impervious to it.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #112

Well, thanks to the Knowledge Devotion argument, my last comment was completely ignored and lost in all the ranting, so I'll try again...

I'm not sure this is one hundred percent accurate, but it's interesting to me, if a dragonborn gnome takes gnome paragon, they can get additional daily uses of spell-like abilities they no longer possess...(Away from Book, can't check on Gnome Paragon's exact wording)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stone To Flesh via the SRD
    this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Golem via the SRD
    A stone to flesh spell does not actually change the golem’s structure but negates its damage reduction and immunity to magic for 1 full round.
    So what happens when you cast Stone to Flesh on a Stone Golem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Box Socks View Post
    So what happens when you cast Stone to Flesh on a Stone Golem?
    Cast it once, it negates its magic immunity (including the special flesh to stone clause). Cast it a second time, and it becomes a Flesh Golem, as per the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

25. - Top - End - #115

Yes it does - it just doesn't disintegrate them instantly like other objects.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG, page 87
    The trunk of a typical tree has AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree.
    Last edited by Jeraa; 2011-09-11 at 11:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
    If I remember this right, the claim goes that Disintegrate works on two things: Creatures and specifically *nonliving* objects. It does damage to creatures, and it just rips a chunk out of nonliving objects. Trees are not creatures, but they are also not nonliving. Disintegrate just doesn't address them at all.

27. - Top - End - #117

Disintegrate only affects creatures and objects composed of non-living matter. Trees by rule are objects. Therefore, a living tree is not affected.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Disintegrate
    Transmutation
    Level: Destruction 7, Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, M/DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
    Spell Resistance: Yes

A thin, green ray springs from your pointing finger. You must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit. Any creature struck by the ray takes 2d6 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 40d6). Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected.

When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter. Thus, the spell disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted. The ray affects even objects constructed entirely of force, such as forceful hand or a wall of force, but not magical effects such as a globe of invulnerability or an antimagic field.

A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage. If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.

Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per casting.
    Arcane Material Component

A lodestone and a pinch of dust.
    Emphasis added. Trees aren't creatures, so they don't fall under the first paragraph, and they're not nonliving matter, so they don't fall under the second paragraph. The spell has no provisions for affecting anything else, so they're immune.

Edit: Bah! Cursed Swordsages! Foiled again! At least I provided a reference, though . . .
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-09-11 at 11:34 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

29. - Top - End - #119

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I'm not sure this is one hundred percent accurate, but it's interesting to me, if a dragonborn gnome takes gnome paragon, they can get additional daily uses of spell-like abilities they no longer possess...(Away from Book, can't check on Gnome Paragon's exact wording)
    Gnome Paragon doesn't seem to grant extra uses. There's some substitution levels that do though, I think.

And I believe a feat that gives anyone with innate SLAs more uses of them per day. Can't remember its name though. Magic in the Blood, maybe? Google seems to say it is and is from Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Gnome Paragon doesn't seem to grant extra uses. There's some substitution levels that do though, I think.

And I believe a feat that gives anyone with innate SLAs more uses of them per day. Can't remember its name though. Magic in the Blood, maybe? Google seems to say it is and is from Player's Guide to Faerun.
    Oops. Same post, but with dragonborn drow instead.