New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Right. And while the air resistance on the baseball and the lead ball will be about the same (I'm discounting the impact of surface differences, for now), the lead ball will have more mass, and so the force from air resistance will produce less deceleration on it.
    True, but this effect is marginal over any likely catapult range.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Jack_Simth is right (which is fortunate for me, as it makes me right too). You can probably make a golf ball shaped lead ball the same size as a baseball, and it'd have better aerodynamic qualities than a baseball. This is assuming I'm picturing the right thing - it's leather, white and nicely round? That nobbly spheroid thing is what you call a football, right?
    Baseball isn't really big where I'm from.

Consider it as a matter of energy, nedz. The air resistance takes energy to overcome. The greater the resistance, the more energy it costs, and the faster you go (all things being equal) the greater the resistance. A lead ball has the greater momentum at the same speed as the baseball, and therefore more energy to give before it stops moving forward - at which point it falls straight down at the farthest it's going to go. This of course assumes you're angling for maximum distance in your throwing/shooting/firing (and not, say, shooting traight up, in which case the lighter object has a definite advantage in how far it travels).

So the basball shaped lump of lead has a momentum equal to X energy units, and the baseball has Y units. X > Y (energy being momentum, and momentum being mass*velocity, velocity being equal but the lead having the greater mass). After flying a certain equal distance, they will (if we assume equal aerodynamic qualities) have lost energy Equal to Y. Y-Y=0. That's as far as the baseball goes. But X-Y>0, so there's still some speed in the lead ball after travelling that far. So it's gonna go farther.
    Last edited by hymer; 2012-11-17 at 03:31 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    I don't have enough physics background to give solid numbers on the ratio, but it will be there. Probably a few percentage points, at least.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    The physics I believe remain the same, at least if you're angling for maximum distance.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    *snip*
    The reason why i brought up the Osmium Elemental, is that the Osmium elemental is five times (5.022x actually) as dense as the Titanium elemental. While i wont go find the math, the Elementals, when brought upto the same speed, would resultantly fly much farther then the Titanium Elemental. I cant say by how much 5x the innertia would make on the actual distance thrown though.

i would estimate the osmium elemental would weigh 120 tons, while the Titanium elemental would weigh 23.89 tons.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, sorry. Saw physics, couldn't help myself. I'll be quiet now.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    The reason why i brought up the Osmium Elemental, is that the Osmium elemental is five times (5.022x actually) as dense as the Titanium elemental. While i wont go find the math, the Elementals, when brought upto the same speed, would resultantly fly much farther then the Titanium Elemental. I cant say by how much 5x the innertia would make on the actual distance thrown though.

i would estimate the osmium elemental would weigh 120 tons, while the Titanium elemental would weigh 23.89 tons.
    Yeah, but the problem with this idea is, they would have to build a catapult capable of flinging a 5x heavier object at the same velocity as the much lighter one. It would suck as catapult ammo as it wouldnt go very far. On the other hand, if you say, summoned it in midair while riding that bitchin undead dragon and let it fall, it would cause some freaking MASSIVE impact damage
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, but the problem with this idea is, they would have to build a catapult capable of flinging a 5x heavier object at the same velocity as the much lighter one. It would suck as catapult ammo as it wouldnt go very far. On the other hand, if you say, summoned it in midair while riding that bitchin undead dragon and let it fall, it would cause some freaking MASSIVE impact damage
    Doesn't work. Per the Conjuration School Description:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #1179

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Doesn't work. Per the Conjuration School Description:
    Hmm, I just know there is a loophole of some sort. What is the carrying capacity of an undead dragon? Could you buff it up to the point where it would be capable of supporting the weight of this thing?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I just know there is a loophole of some sort. What is the carrying capacity of an undead dragon? Could you buff it up to the point where it would be capable of supporting the weight of this thing?
    no, im pretty sure that a dragon doesnt qualify as a surface for summoning. even then, their light load is too low for a 120 ton elemental
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Place a pair of immovable rods in the air. Place an adamantine sheet between them. Summon elemental. Deactivate one of the rods.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Place a pair of immovable rods in the air. Place an adamantine sheet between them. Summon elemental. Deactivate one of the rods.
    An Immovable Rod will not support an unlimited amount of weight:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    This rod is a flat iron bar with a small button on one end. When the button is pushed (a move action), the rod does not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity. Thus, the owner can lift or place the rod wherever he wishes, push the button, and let go. Several immovable rods can even make a ladder when used together (although only two are needed). An immovable rod can support up to 8,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against an immovable rod, it must make a DC 30 Strength check to move the rod up to 10 feet in a single round.
    Two of them will only get you 8 tons, not the 120 you're after.

You might, however, cast Resilient Sphere on your familiar, summon the beast on top of that, have your familiar get out of the way (perhaps via a Cape of the Mountebank?), and then dismiss the sphere.

Of course, with that, you're probably better off using Wall of Iron. No house rules involved, the wall is most definitely an object, and you can use it to buy stuff after.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2012-11-17 at 06:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Banned

Just noticed this in the Arms and Equipment Guide - the Gnome Crossbow Sight (because apparently mere humans could never figure out how to build a crossbow sight - thanks Wotco) allows you to treat targets as if they were two range increments closer, but has no effect within the first two increments. That means that if you're firing a heavy crossbow (120 foot increments) at a target who's 200 feet away, you take a bigger to-hit penalty (-4 for two range increments) than if they're 300 feet away. (-2 for 1 effective range increment). Yes, if you want to have an easier time shooting someone, you have to get further away from them.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

Is this going to turn into titanium elementals? Heh, I just keep getting flashbacks to redcloak and his mocking of people for sticking to the classic elements when there is a very large table to draw from.
    Just for the record: What Redcloak pulls of is what is called a semantic fallacy (and I'm pretty sure this was intended by Rich).
    Those go like this:
    "Bob is a dumb ox."
    "All oxen have horns."
    -> "Bob has horns."

The elements on the periodic table are given this name because of certain resemblence to the classical elements of various cultures (most prominently greek and chinese). You could say the elements of the periodic table are the stuff the world is made from.
    But it is just a superficial resemblence, enough to justify the name, but not more. The elements in pre-sokratic philosophy for example fulfill a vastly different "role". They range into the metaphysical, wheras the periodic table is firmly grounded in the physical.

Thus, having "elementals" (the creature) made from elements of the periodic table is the result of a semantic fallacy.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Just for the record: What Redcloak pulls of is what is called a semantic fallacy (and I'm pretty sure this was intended by Rich).
    Those go like this:
    "Bob is a dumb ox."
    "All oxen have horns."
    -> "Bob has horns."

The elements on the periodic table are given this name because of certain resemblence to the classical elements of various cultures (most prominently greek and chinese). You could say the elements of the periodic table are the stuff the world is made from.
    But it is just a superficial resemblence, enough to justify the name, but not more. The elements in pre-sokratic philosophy for example fulfill a vastly different "role". They range into the metaphysical, wheras the periodic table is firmly grounded in the physical.

Thus, having "elementals" (the creature) made from elements of the periodic table is the result of a semantic fallacy.
    Third rule of humor, if you have to explain the joke, its not funny anymore.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Just noticed this in the Arms and Equipment Guide - the Gnome Crossbow Sight (because apparently mere humans could never figure out how to build a crossbow sight - thanks Wotco) allows you to treat targets as if they were two range increments closer, but has no effect within the first two increments. That means that if you're firing a heavy crossbow (120 foot increments) at a target who's 200 feet away, you take a bigger to-hit penalty (-4 for two range increments) than if they're 300 feet away. (-2 for 1 effective range increment). Yes, if you want to have an easier time shooting someone, you have to get further away from them.
    Have you ever tried to shoot a rifle with a scope at something too close for the scope. It's a huge pain. You've either got to try and use the scope anyway, and not be exactly certain what it is you're looking at, or you have to try and use the iron-sights instead, which may or may not be doable depending on how the scope is mounted.

I honestly think it would've been more accurate to reality for the shooter to take an extra penalty for the scope within the first two range increments, since there's almost no way the scope doesn't interfere with lining up a shot when the target's too close.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Have you ever tried to shoot a rifle with a scope at something too close for the scope. It's a huge pain. You've either got to try and use the scope anyway, and not be exactly certain what it is you're looking at, or you have to try and use the iron-sights instead, which may or may not be doable depending on how the scope is mounted.

I honestly think it would've been more accurate to reality for the shooter to take an extra penalty for the scope within the first two range increments, since there's almost no way the scope doesn't interfere with lining up a shot when the target's too close.

Easier Explaination:

The Scope is a recent enough development that they havent noticed that they need Ironsights at 10:30 to allow for close range combat use.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-11-22 at 01:31 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post

i know what you mean. Some call it 'hair in the scope'. that means that you are so close that you can only see the fur of the animal, and not the whole animal, making it extremely hard to aim for the vitals.

however. i personally consider this a myth. It might happen with very high magnification 20x or more and very close ranges, like 20 yards, but in general it does not happen.
    Even with a 9x scope you can hit targets at 600 yards, and still get see the whole target at 35 yards.
    With a 4x scope you can see targets out to 400 with confidence and still get a close shot at 10 yards.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not just that. If you're using a scope, and you go off target a bit, refinding the target is much more difficult at close range, because your vision is so focused.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

Dysfunctional Rule: Animals don't have homes.

I can't find an animal that has ranks in survival. DC to avoid getting lost is 15. Without taking wis modifier into consideration, they spend 3 days out of 4 looking for their nest/den/whatever.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Okay, i have just finished reading the entire thread, but there might be things that I have missed.
    Anyway: How come there's no mention of Iron Heart Surge?
    >IRON HEART SURGE
    >Iron Heart
    >Level: Warblade 3
    >Prerequisite: One Iron Heart maneuver
    >Initiation Action: 1 standard action
    >Range: Personal
    >Target: You
    >Duration: See text
    Your fighting spirit, dedication, and training allow you to overcome almost anything to defeat your enemies. When you use this maneuver, select one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds. That effect ends immediately. You also surge with confidence and vengeance against your enemies, gaining a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
    Edit: Emphasis mine.
    Note that the effect ends. No, it's not "you are no longer affected by it", it's "the effect has ended". The intent was probably to get rid of a slow spell or something similar, but the wording is ... let's say abusable.
    Fear aura? Duration is more than one round=IHS. The fear aura is now gone. Rain gives you a penalty to Spot. Iron heart surge the rain away.
    Gravity is listed down as a planar trait that has an effect on all creatures within the plane. You can use IHS to eradicate gravity from the plane.
    Last edited by Scizor; 2012-11-23 at 01:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post

I can't find an animal that has ranks in survival. DC to avoid getting lost is 15. Without taking wis modifier into consideration, they spend 3 days out of 4 looking for their nest/den/whatever.
    Did you forget racial bonuses to tracking? They just track themselves back to home.
    Riding dogs (+5 track) and Wolves (+5 track) for two have it.

Bears and Cats have no racial bonus (so +1 track), cats and bears must get lost a lot.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ettin in the Playground

I would think that so long as you didn't wander too far from your den or nest that Spot (if you're high enough) or Track by Scent (at ground level) could get you home. Plus if you wander around in the same seven or eight square miles long enough (say from infancy to adulthood) you would know the area well enough to not become lost in it.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Did you forget racial bonuses to tracking? They just track themselves back to home.
    Riding dogs (+5 track) and Wolves (+5 track) for two have it.

Bears and Cats have no racial bonus (so +1 track), cats and bears must get lost a lot.
    That is tracking by scent. Even so, it is a +4, so half the time they can smell themselves home? They other half they are still lost, apparently.

Also, DC 15 to avoid natural hazards (which includes predators), so most animals get eaten 3 days out of 4 (unless they get lost instead).

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Plus if you wander around in the same seven or eight square miles long enough (say from infancy to adulthood) you would know the area well enough to not become lost in it.
    That is knowledge:local, knowledge:geography or knowledge:nature. No animals have ranks in those either.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-23 at 01:48 PM.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

25. - Top - End - #1195

Also, DC 15 to avoid natural hazards (which includes predators), so most animals get eaten 3 days out of 4 (unless they get lost instead).
    Failing a DC15 check doesn't mean you immediately get eaten by a wolf. A natural hazard might be a slippery ravine, a rapid or deep river, a bog or swamp, and so on - nothing that's immediately and unavoidably fatal. Even if they do meet a predator, there's no guarantee it will sense them, or be interested in attacking them, or that it will catch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Failing a DC15 check doesn't mean you immediately get eaten by a wolf. A natural hazard might be a slippery ravine, a rapid or deep river, a bog or swamp, and so on - nothing that's immediately and unavoidably fatal. Even if they do meet a predator, there's no guarantee it will sense them, or be interested in attacking them, or that it will catch them.
    That's true. Knowing how borked spot checks are, predators can't see anything either, and with everything at the same speed, can't catch them.

Still can only find their home on a good day though (for most).

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Titan in the Playground

They also can't find food, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #1198

They can take 10 to feed themselves if they have a positive or neutral Wisdom modifier, barring difficult conditions that make the check difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    Okay, i have just finished reading the entire thread, but there might be things that I have missed.
    Anyway: How come there's no mention of Iron Heart Surge?
    I've tried to post Iron Heart Surge in this thread, and then IHS ended the effect of me posting in the thread. Honestly, that should have been on page 1.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-11-23 at 03:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

You are allowed to change the skill point allocations. So they could spend a skill point and learn to read.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook