New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Mind you, if you're going to be that picky, none of the Summoning spells work, nor does the Scrying line of spells.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Mind you, if you're going to be that picky, none of the Summoning spells work, nor does the Scrying line of spells.
    Summoning spells work just fine - the monster is the effect, not the target. Likewise, Scrying is "Effect: magical sensor".
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, rockdeworld. Great contribution to the compendium. IMHO, dysfunctional as written. (Also, thanks RAW thread, where this indirectly came up).
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Summoning spells work just fine - the monster is the effect, not the target. Likewise, Scrying is "Effect: magical sensor".
    Correct about summoning, but on this level of RAW hairsplitting Scrying does get hit by the line of effect rules.

Scrying and Planar Binding are obviously intended to ignore those rules, but they don't actually state that they do.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Correct about summoning, but on this level of RAW hairsplitting Scrying does get hit by the line of effect rules.

Scrying and Planar Binding are obviously intended to ignore those rules, but they don't actually state that they do.
    Which is why it belongs in this thread.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Banned

Paladin warhorse mounts are listed with a fairly impressive Jump check distance due to their Strength and speed, but being animals they have no skill points to spare for anything but Listen and Spot, so they have no ranks in Jump. Therefore, per the rules of the Jump skill, any time they don't clear the DC of a jump by at least 5, they land prone. The Heavy Warhorse's +12 check result sounds good, but if he tries to jump a 10-foot ditch, no wider than himself, and rolls a 1 or a 2, he doesn't stick the landing. Which, if you decide belatedly to start being realistic about horses, means he now has a broken leg and has to be mercy-killed.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Paladin warhorse mounts are listed with a fairly impressive Jump check distance due to their Strength and speed, but being animals they have no skill points to spare for anything but Listen and Spot, so they have no ranks in Jump. Therefore, per the rules of the Jump skill, any time they don't clear the DC of a jump by at least 5, they land prone. The Heavy Warhorse's +12 check result sounds good, but if he tries to jump a 10-foot ditch, no wider than himself, and rolls a 1 or a 2, he doesn't stick the landing. Which, if you decide belatedly to start being realistic about horses, means he now has a broken leg and has to be mercy-killed.
    ... I'm not quite seeing the dysfunction? That was actually a thing that happened, for example in fox hunts: a horse doesn't make the jump across a stream, comes down wrong enough, and their legs snap and bam. (Whether that's actually at 10' jumps, of course, I rather doubt, so maybe that's what you mean.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    ... I'm not quite seeing the dysfunction? That was actually a thing that happened, for example in fox hunts: a horse doesn't make the jump across a stream, comes down wrong enough, and their legs snap and bam. (Whether that's actually at 10' jumps, of course, I rather doubt, so maybe that's what you mean.)
    Also recall that "The statistics presented here [for the heavy (war)horse] describe large breeds of working horses such as Clydesdales." Clydesdales are draft horses, and ain't that great at jumping.

A horse ridden in fox hunts is going to be something like a thoroughbred or Arabian, and represented by the light (war)horse. Their +15 modifier lets them jump a 10' stream no problem, and a 20' stream taking 10'. And a horse specifically trained for hunting or show-jumping will have its ranks in Jump, rather than the perception skills, and so will have an extra +6.

So, yeah, I don't see a significant dysfunction either.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Banned

I just thought that a 10% chance of lethally screwing up a jump of your own body length seemed excessively fumbletastic, and yes the light horse is better but not by an incredible lot, it still has a 20% chance to fail a 20-foot jump if it's "rushed or threatened" and thus has to roll. But as frequently happens, I forgot that Taking 10 existed, so at least this doesn't happen when not "rushed or threatened".

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    But as frequently happens, I forgot that Taking 10 existed, so at least this doesn't happen when not "rushed or threatened".
    Yeah, taking 10 covers a multitude of sins.

(It's still not an excuse for making rules that are basically wrong, but at least it's a handy patch in case you get something slightly off.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Banned

Perhaps I'm nitpicking again, but I was looking at the Telekinetic Maneuver psionic power, and I noticed something. It lets you Bull Rush a target with your mind, and you don't provoke an AoO; the text doesn't say that you don't move into the target's space (magically, from wherever you manifest the power from), but I'll assume they figured that was obvious, and it might be implicit in the basic psionics rules somehow, so I'm not worried about that part. But what does strike me as a goof is that Bull Rush has a provision that any AoOs triggered by the target getting pushed out of a threatened square have a 25% chance of hitting you instead, and nothing in the text of TK Manuever overrides that.

While these mis-hits are obviously meant to represent you being in the target's space and possible to hit by mistake while swinging at them, a Curmudgeon-esque reading of the rules would indicate that when you look up at the guy on the castle wall and use your brain to push him off the edge, the rogue who was about to stab him in the back and now takes advantage of the opening has a 1-in-4 chance of accidentally stabbing you, down on the ground and not even in view of the rogue in question.

EDIT - also, a rules question on that. Assuming (which I'm 100% sure you should but only 99.9% so that you can legally, which is why I'm not putting this on Simple RAW Questions) that you do not teleport into your target's space when TK Bull Rushing, then you probably also can't move with them as you can when physically bull rushing. Can you use the option to move them more than 5 feet, which in a normal bull rush you can't unless you move with them? (The Minotaur Charge maneuver in TOB explicitly allows you to move someone as if you moved with them without having to; since they didn't specify this in TK Maneuver, it seems as though RAW offers no such provision, thus limiting TKBRs to only ever moving the target 5 feet, but this is kinda lame.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-03 at 10:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maximize spell. As explained to me by Curmudgeon in a RAW thread some time ago, there are spells (the example I got this answer for was dispel magic) which either give an end result of a boolean value (thus, when maximized, always output true [dispel magic auto-succeeds]), or otherwise do weird things with a strict RAW interpretation of maximize spell being applied. This was, of course, extremely DM-dependant. But it seems amusing enough to put here, especially if one could find another example where this interpretation might be possible.
    Last edited by Stannum (IV); 2013-01-06 at 02:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stannum (IV) View Post
    Maximize spell. As explained to me by Curmudgeon in a RAW thread some time ago, there are spells (the example I got this answer for was dispel magic) which either give an end result of a boolean value (thus, when maximized, always output true [dispel magic auto-succeeds]), or otherwise do weird things with a strict RAW interpretation of maximize spell being applied. This was, of course, extremely DM-dependant. But it seems amusing enough to put here, especially if one could find another example where this interpretation might be possible.
    The thing is, TRUE isn't greater than FALSE. In computers TRUE is represented by 1 and FALSE by 0, but that's for convenience and could be the opposite but by convention.

(For example, running the following code would throw an exception:)
    A = TRUE
    B = FALSE
    C = (A > B)
    p C
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant to say that it turns the dispel check into a Boolean value, but not that it auto succeeds. It would go (20+Caster Level)-(11+Opponent Caster Level)>0 then spell is dispelled, otherwise no spell is dispelled.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

• Technically speaking, there is absolutely nothing that prevents multiclassing into a class that you already have, as nowhere is it stated that this is not possible.

Mind, I can't think of a class that would actually benefit from such cheese, but it's interesting.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    • Technically speaking, there is absolutely nothing that prevents multiclassing into a class that you already have, as nowhere is it stated that this is not possible.
    Actually, you can't do that.

PHB, page 59
    A character can’t gain 1st level in the same class more
    than once, even if this would allow him or her to select different
    class features,
    A few odds and ends.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Firbolg in the Playground

That includes, say, PHB Barbarian 1/Lion Totem Barbarian 1, right?
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post

Mind, I can't think of a class that would actually benefit from such cheese, but it's interesting.
    Fighter 2 / Fighter 1 would get one more feat than Fighter 3.

But I think that it's pretty moot since the rules require you to add new classes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Multiclass Characters

A character may add new classes as he or she progresses in level, thus becoming a multiclass character. The class abilities from a character’s different classes combine to determine a multiclass character’s overall abilities. Multiclassing improves a character’s versatility at the expense of focus.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant to say that it turns the dispel check into a Boolean value, but not that it auto succeeds. It would go (20+Caster Level)-(11+Opponent Caster Level)>0 then spell is dispelled, otherwise no spell is dispelled.
    Ah. Still doesn't work, since the dispel check isn't the effect, it's akin to the opposed check the feats expicitly rule out.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Ah. Still doesn't work, since the dispel check isn't the effect, it's akin to the opposed check the feats expicitly rule out.
    Maximized Awaken (X) (All mental stats of the Awakened entity are automatically Maximized. Introducing the new tree master race.)
    Maximized Reincarnate ("Hey DM, I don't like rolling on tables. Can you arbitrarily choose something wierd for me?")

and, my personal favorite, Maximized Teleport for when you really, really need to get lost.

Maximize still results in a lot of dysfunctions. Just... Not as many as all that.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

A word of advice: Take everything a rules lawyer says with a grain of salt. Curmudgeon is not a particularly accurate one at that.

For instance, last night i came across the belief that paladins actually get one spell level early.

On the other hand, that same rule makes classes such as Ur-Priest actually unable to prepare spells as quickly as they unlock levels, because it is not explicitly called out by Ur-priest in order to be circumvented. For instance, by normal standards, a 9th level takes a minimum of 17 CL to cast
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

22. - Top - End - #1402

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    and, my personal favorite, Maximized Teleport for when you really, really need to get lost.
    This is beautiful
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-01-06 at 06:18 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

Hilarious
    I'm just going to have to give out a scroll of that as loot, mind you even an empowered one would be iffy.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Hilarious
    I'm just going to have to give out a scroll of that as loot, mind you even an empowered one would be iffy.
    What happens when you maximize and empower it?
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

You get somewhere between a 100 and a 150, with a 99% chance of being off the charts for what happens. But it's a 10th level spell without mitigation, so I don't think many people will try it.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Maximize Spell being screwy is only due to misinterpreting it. Maximize Spell maximizes things that are a) variable, b) numeric, and c) effects of the spell. All at once.

The dispel check of Dispel Magic is variable and numeric, but it is not an effect of the spell. The effect of Dispel Magic is either dispelling or not dispelling various spells. Said actual effect is not numeric. Neither aspect of Dispel Magic fits all three requirements by itself, so Maximize Spell does nothing.

Maximized Reincarnate also does not work. The roll on the table is variable and numeric, but it is not itself the effect of the spell. It is used to determine the effect, but the actual effect (or that part of it, at least) is which race the subject comes back as. A choice of race is not numeric. Maximize Spell does nothing.

Same with Teleport. The percentile roll is variable and numeric, but the actual effect is "on target", "off target", "similar area", or "mishap". Maximize Spell has no effect.

Maximized Awaken, on the other hand, does work. The ability scores of the tree or animal are variable, numeric, and an effect of the spell - not a number that determines a spell effect, but actually a spell effect themselves - satisfying all three criteria at once. Using this on a tree will result in the tree having all 18s for mental stats, and using it on an animal will produce 18 intelligence and increase charisma by 3.

Now for a real master race, get an epic druid to Intensify it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

27. - Top - End - #1407

You get 150% more lost than ever before? (Slightly easier way: if you ever need to get quite properly lost, just stick me in the navigator's seat.)
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maximized Awaken (X) (All mental stats of the Awakened entity are automatically Maximized. Introducing the new tree master race.)
    Maximized Reincarnate ("Hey DM, I don't like rolling on tables. Can you arbitrarily choose something wierd for me?")

Maximize still results in a lot of dysfunctions. Just... Not as many as all that.
    actually, afaict even that reading of maximized teleport on anything other than very familiar makes you roll unbounded times, taking 10 damage each time. and, uh, you don't stop.

(otherwise, you just ... take a fixed 10 damage for each mishap.)
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2013-01-06 at 06:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Barbarian in the Playground

All right, maximize doesn't work that way, try this:
    Someone with casts delayed blast fireball, and swallows the bead.
    When the blast goes off, they still get a reflex save for no damage.
    The people nearby could still experience the full effects after the spread is only hampered by spreading through a foot or two of throat. For that matter, with noseplugs and closing one's mouth, one could contain the blast within oneself with no ill effect if one successfully saved.
    I think evasion was already discussed, but this seems fun enough to bear mentioning. Especially if you could convince the party rogue to swallow anything that might potentially explode.
    Last edited by Stannum (IV); 2013-01-09 at 11:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Colossus in the Playground

All right, maximize doesn't work that way, try this:
    Someone with casts delayed blast fireball, and swallows the bead.
    When the blast goes off, they still get a reflex save for no damage.
    The people nearby could still experience the full effects after the spread is only hampered by spreading through a foot or two of throat. For that matter, with noseplugs and closing one's mouth, one could contain the blast within oneself with no ill effect if one successfully saved.
    I think evasion was already discussed, but this seems fun enough to bear mentioning. Especially if you could convince the party rogue to swallow anything that might potentially explode.
    LoE is established only through an opening 1 foot or larger. A swallowed bead only affects one person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting