New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    I can't speak for traditional spear fishing, but a modern spear gun is kind of like an industrial murder slingshot.
    Well that wouldn't be a thrown weapon anymore, would it? You'd go to the rules on normal ranged weapons there, which do work underwater.. they just have hilariously high penalties to hit anything farther away than about 10 feet.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

5% of all rogues would survive a Nuclear Bomb drop...Well it is an Explosion, so it allows a reflex save right? (This came up in last Sundays game, where my party blew up a wizards tower and surrounding orphange and countryside) The mental image of them Backflipping ten Miles is Amusing though...

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    5% of all rogues would survive a Nuclear Bomb drop...Well it is an Explosion, so it allows a reflex save right? (This came up in last Sundays game, where my party blew up a wizards tower and surrounding orphange and countryside) The mental image of them Backflipping ten Miles is Amusing though...
    Nah, he just steps into Roguespace for a few instants. Possibly a few minutes, considering how long the blast takes. Probably wouldn't help with the fallout, though....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, since making a reflex save doesn't actually move you at all, the rogue doesn't backflip 10 miles. He just stands at ground zero, unharmed, cape and hair blowing in the breeze. Just as bad though.
    Last edited by Jeraa; 2011-09-12 at 08:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Nah, he just steps into Roguespace for a few instants. Possibly a few minutes, considering how long the blast takes. Probably wouldn't help with the fallout, though....
    A monk on the other hand would make his save versus radiation poisoning as well, and would skip merrily into the sunset. His one real power!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
    Well, since making a reflex save doesn't actually move you at all, the rogue doesn't backflip 10 miles. He just stands at ground zero, unharmed, cape and hair blowing in the breeze. Just as bad though.
    Please don't ruin my mental image, although yours gets amusing when the rogue realises that the a)The Floor does not have evasion b) He's at the top of the tower.
    Last edited by Dragonsoul; 2011-09-12 at 08:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    To be fair, earlier iterations of D&D did make Evasion into the Incredible Bouncing Thief (Rogue). Allied Magic-Users would target the Thief in order to get him closer to or further from the enemy, as needed.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsoul View Post
    Please don't ruin my mental image, although yours gets amusing when the rogue realises that the a)The Floor does not have evasion b) He's at the top of the tower.
    Another advantage for the monk: Slow Fall! Assuming a wall survived, anyway.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unless hes slow falling off the falling masonry(Remember you have to be touching a wall)....actually I'd allow that.

Actually, by RAW could a Monk have a piece of Masonry to allow him to slow fall anywhere? It just says a wall, not a stationery wall.....

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Wow, we found something the Monk is good at! Surviving tower-destroying explosions while at the top of a tower!

Bit of a niche, but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #161

I usually cheat a little and take the Stormwrack ACF Water Step when I use the Monk. Walking on water comes up more frequently than falling while within five feet of a wall.
    Jude P.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wow, we found something the Monk is good at! Surviving tower-destroying explosions while at the top of a tower!

I think we'll take even the smallest victories

13. - Top - End - #163

MindFlayer

Oh wow... that's great.

Almost as good as pages 91 and 92 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook.
    Is that the Deja Vu power?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I have made DC 32 jumps and can reproduce the feat.
    32 feet long, or 8 feet high?
    I'm a so-so jumper, and can occasionally get a 3' vertical jump, but.... Either of those sounds like something that should be in the "superhuman only" range.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertystop

This has actually come up the one time I played a monk. It was in a pathfinder adventure module, and I refused to get out while the little zerg-things were trying to get out. (So did the wizard, but he had spider-climb)
    I successfully ran on the rolling tower side, stunning fisted whatever came close, and leapt out to dramatically slow-fall down the cliff as it fell. Whatever it's lack of offensive use, monk is dramatic and cannot be killed.
    Last edited by theMycon; 2011-09-12 at 10:08 PM.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That pretty much sums up most of the monk special abilities - niche. Most of them are pretty good, but they are very situational and can often be copied using a spell or item. For example, their poison and disease immunity (except to supernatural diseases IIRC) seems great on paper, but how often does the average PC actually encounter poison or disease? Unless the DM decides to run the players through a gauntlet of snakes, spiders and scorpions you generally won't get much use out of poision immunity.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Have you ever seen RotW's Halfling Rogue? At 1st level, your ranged sneak attack is +1d6 and your melee sneak attack is +0. At 20th level, your ranged sneak attack is +10d6 and your melee sneak attack is +9d6. I'm pretty sure they meant for ranged to be +2d6 and melee to be +0, and then at 20th level for ranged to be +11d6 and melee to be +9d6.

Oh, and the entire mechanics for Jump and Carrying Capacities bother me.
    According to the Carrying Capacities chart my Strength is between 16 and 20.
    I have made DC 32 jumps and can reproduce the feat.
    Let's see... Barbarian-3 with skill focus(Jump), max ranks (6) in jump, and a base Strength score of 16... rages to Str-20, has a +4 bonus from his speed, and thus has a Jump modifier of +18; makes DC 32 on a roll of 14. Somewhat focused character, there, but it's doable (also: Losing rage makes the need a 16; losing Fast Movement makes it need a 20).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    This has actually come up the one time I played a monk. It was in a pathfinder adventure module, and I refused to get out while the little zerg-things were trying to get out. (So did the wizard, but he had spider-climb)
    I successfully ran on the rolling tower side, stunning fisted whatever came close, and leapt out to dramatically slow-fall down the cliff as it fell. Whatever it's lack of offensive use, monk is dramatic and cannot be killed.
    You know, unless they attack you with, like, a sword or something. How's your AC?
    Last edited by Zaq; 2011-09-12 at 10:12 PM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    You know, unless they attack you with, like, a sword or something. How's your AC?
    Well, that comes down to whether you let your opponent attack you. A monk has a lot of speed - if your opponent has only a melee weapon the monk can happily stay out of hitting range and lob weapons at them. Doesn't work real well indoors, unless you have plenty of ranks in tumble.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Banned

Griffon

where is this table?
    DMG page 128

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Well, that comes down to whether you let your opponent attack you. A monk has a lot of speed - if your opponent has only a melee weapon the monk can happily stay out of hitting range and lob weapons at them. Doesn't work real well indoors, unless you have plenty of ranks in tumble.
    Or unless, you know, you want to hit them with your much-vaunted fists. Or use Flurry of Blows. Or be anything resembling relevant.

I suppose that "not being enough of a threat to kill" is a valid way of staying alive, for a very loose definition of "valid."

I can see where Monks are supposed to be very hard to kill, but like everything else about the Monk, that's pretty much a failure.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

21. - Top - End - #171

How powerful monk abilities were thought of by the designers is nicely demonstrated by the fact that they're the only class that gets an epic feat every 5 levels, all other classes get them at least every 4 levels. Totally brainless. Especially because clerics and wizards, among others, get them every 3 levels.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Monk Capstone: "Congratulations, you get to be the Wizard's slave!"
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-09-13 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

23. - Top - End - #173

'Buying' a strand of prayer beads with no beads on it...
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    'Buying' a strand of prayer beads with no beads on it...
    So if it just has a bead of karma, it's free? Cool, CL +4 for free.

25. - Top - End - #175

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    It's harder to identify a Warhorse than a Blink Dog.

A Huge Air Elemental is harder to identify than a Small Air Elemental.

An Elephant is harder to identify (and know details about) than a Pixie.

Of course, when I'm playing or running a game, we have situational modifiers... Very rare creatures, or creatures with multiple templates, apply a penalty to the Knowledge Devotion roll.
    What's more hilarious is that an average farmer (commoner 1; int 10, if he puts 2 cross-class ranks in knowledge(nature) he has a +2 modifier) has a roughly 40% chance (if he rolls 8 or lower) to not have a clue what a given 1HD farm animal (DC 11)is.
    Last edited by LordBlades; 2011-09-13 at 05:07 AM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

As a corollary to the monk the totemist (and most if not all post 3.5 core classes and prcs) are not proficient with their granted natural attacks (assuming you are humanoid).

I think this is due to core using a lot of copy paste and that by 3.5 proficiency with natural weapons was either forgotten about or they chose to ignore the rule. Suffice to say it is a common omission.

So fear not monk you are in good company.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Just a few observations:

When conceptualising undead, did the designers realise that the removal of a con score would make undead npcs very fragile? For example, a dracolich great wyrm dragon would have its hp literally slashed to 1/3 of its original hp, and at cr+3. This often ends up making them very fragile for their cr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

28. - Top - End - #178

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Yeah, monk is a great class. At level 20 you get the power of a level 1 spell! Oh, no... You need the wall. ALMOST as a level 1 spell.

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by theMycon View Post
    32 feet long, or 8 feet high?
    I'm a so-so jumper, and can occasionally get a 3' vertical jump, but.... Either of those sounds like something that should be in the "superhuman only" range.
    Actually, neither. A combination of long- and high-jump. They say that on a long jump you should reach a height of roughly one-quarter the distance you jumped. But I jumped over a picnic table the short way, going only about three feet "long" but about four feet "high".
    So we take 1/4 of 3' away from 4' because I would have gone that high just for jumping 3' forwards. Now it's DC=(3x1)+(3.25x4)=16x2*=32.
    *Because I didn't take a running start and doubt I have the Goliath trait Mountain Movement or the feat Leap of the Heavens.

(This is how I spent my summer when I couldn't find a job.)

I've also jumped up 4' walls without a running start before. I've jumped up a roughly 5.5' wall with a 10' running start.
    Surprisingly I've never tried long-jumps. I should get on that.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2011-09-13 at 05:40 AM.
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #180

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Just a few observations:

When conceptualising undead, did the designers realise that the removal of a con score would make undead npcs very fragile? For example, a dracolich great wyrm dragon would have its hp literally slashed to 1/3 of its original hp, and at cr+3. This often ends up making them very fragile for their cr.
    They come up with the ridiculous ``unholy toughness'' to compensate. The real problem is that undeads get d12 what ever base dice they had. So a wizard probably enjoys a fighter, a barbarian or a dragon... not much.

Maybe it is better just to increase the HP dice? For example... d4 becomes d8, d6 becomes d12, d8 becomes 2d8, d10 becomes... d20, d12 become 2d12.