New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Jjeinn-tae View Post
    A soaring example that any amount of wit shown on these boards will cause an avalanche of puns. At least the next page will have large amounts of punny responses.
    Don't jump to conclusions - it could very well be that the puns will skip a page or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Don't jump to conclusions - it could very well be that the puns will skip a page or two.
    I think we may have already jumped the shark.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

OK, those aren't even puns anymore.

Back on-topic, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

Back on-topic, please?
    You heard the man. Hop to it!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #245

SwashbucklerGuy

Back on-topic, please?
    Sorry, this thread has already jumped the tracks and derailed. One of the risks you take when you let just anyone leap into the conversation.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love the word-play here in the playground. Reading it always puts a spring in my step.
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

7. - Top - End - #247

Back on-topic, please?
    Right. Serious time.

I've noticed that D&D tends to assume an earth-like planet, especially when it comes to time. What bothers me is when an effect lasts for one year. As we all know, one year is not an exact time.

What happens to these effects during a leap year?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    Right. Serious time.

I've noticed that D&D tends to assume an earth-like planet, especially when it comes to time. What bothers me is when an effect lasts for one year. As we all know, one year is not an exact time.

A year is a year, no matter whether or not there are humans (or humanoids) to measure it or what calendars they're using. A leap year is just a nice recordkeeping convention that doesn't bother or concern the Earth's orbit one little bit. The Earth's orbit, in fact, couldn't care less. A year is a year.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

9. - Top - End - #249

SwashbucklerGuy

Right. Serious time.

What if the year cycle was based on some totally arbitrary thing? What if a new year started every time a particular long-lived/mystical flower bloomed? If this was so, some years could last thousands upon thousands of days… while other years could be less than a week long. I bet that would really screw up some majicks with duration of [x] year(s).

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    A year is a year, no matter whether or not there are humans (or humanoids) to measure it or what calendars they're using. A leap year is just a nice recordkeeping convention that doesn't bother or concern the Earth's orbit one little bit. The Earth's orbit, in fact, couldn't care less. A year is a year.
    This is of course assuming that the planet circled a sun. What if it was instead caught in a Lagrangian point between two stars, not orbiting either, simply rotating in place (for sake of argument, lets say one star is a brown dwarf or equally dim star, so there is still a "night").
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2011-09-14 at 10:41 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    This is of course assuming that the planet circled a sun. What if it was instead caught in a Lagrangian point between two stars, not orbiting either, simply rotating in place (for sake of argument, lets say one star is a brown dwarf or equally dim star, so there is still a "night").
    That won't make your calendar suddenly affect the way the planet's cycle, whatever that is, ends up acting. (In fact, if that were the case, then you wouldn't have leap years at all, since leap years account for the fact that Earth's revolution around the sun isn't neatly divided into exactly 365 days . . . but that wouldn't happen if there's no revolution at all.)

If, as you say, the gods/forces of magic/whatever consider a year to be something other than what we think it is, well, that'd clearly affect spells, but then you're just at the mercy of whatever these forces of definition are, which isn't exactly the fault of the rules.

Really, while I agree that there's plenty of places to pick apart the rules, I don't see this as being one of them.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post
    How powerful monk abilities were thought of by the designers is nicely demonstrated by the fact that they're the only class that gets an epic feat every 5 levels, all other classes get them at least every 4 levels. Totally brainless. Especially because clerics and wizards, among others, get them every 3 levels.
    I do kind of wonder what kind of games the developers were playing that they viewed the monk as being so powerful. I can only imagine poisons, diseases and pit falls around every corner. Heck, the monk doesn't even get advancements to their unarmed damage for epic levels.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    I do kind of wonder what kind of games the developers were playing that they viewed the monk as being so powerful. I can only imagine poisons, diseases and pit falls around every corner. Heck, the monk doesn't even get advancements to their unarmed damage for epic levels.
    P1: My kungfu is better than yours. Eeeyai!
    P2: Use the force, Ruke (Fly on P1).
    P1: Cyclone kicky-thing.
    DM: You do 100 damage to the hill giant, he tries to grapple.
    P1: AoO Stunning Fist!
    DM: The Giant is stunned, but the knight on the Pegasus bullrushes you over the cliff and the wizard casts anti-magic field.
    P1: Slowfall near cliff.
    DM: WHO DESIGNED THIS CLASS AND WHY DOES IT HAVE AN ANSWER TO EVERYTHING?

...I honestly have no idea what could of granted them that opinion... But my account is definitely incorrect because the wizard casted fly; Wizards were solely for blasting...

...Maybe its the high base-damage weapon with extra attacks per round? They assumed damage would be the be-all-end-all.
    Game systems I play: DnD 3.5, Pathfinder, Star Wars Saga, Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeons: The Dragoning, AFBME, Atomic Highway, Dark Heresy, Legend of the 5 Rings 4E, MAID and... EQRPG... Does anyone actually play that?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe Im missing something, but Piranhas (that is Piranha Swarms, Stormwrack P. 163) have a land speed of 20 ft., equal to their swim speed

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

I just opened Stromwrack to check, and I honestly only see "Swim 40"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    I just opened Stromwrack to check, and I honestly only see "Swim 40"
    And again, I fail at reading
    Carry on, citizen.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Colossus in the Playground

I think I've read somewhere that the idea that the monk was overpowered basically came from the idea that they had the largest list of class abilities listed on their table.

And yes, in a trap-studded dungeon with a DM who isn't well-versed in the rules, the monk can appear powerful at first. I mean, he get's 2d10 damage! The fighter's longsword only has 1d8! Even if it's a +5 longsword, that's still only 9.5 average damage, compared to the monk's 11! And yes, I must admit that I actually thought 2d10 damage was a huge lot when I first saw the monk.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #257

I actually wonder how a monk would look in the tomb of horrors. Still not ideal, of course, but there are a lot of opportunities to use most of his abilities.

Even assuming a planet may be too much. For the generic "prime material plane," I always kinda assumed it was actually a plane, roughly flat and infinite in all directions, unless specified otherwise by the specific setting.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    That won't make your calendar suddenly affect the way the planet's cycle, whatever that is, ends up acting. (In fact, if that were the case, then you wouldn't have leap years at all, since leap years account for the fact that Earth's revolution around the sun isn't neatly divided into exactly 365 days . . . but that wouldn't happen if there's no revolution at all.)

If, as you say, the gods/forces of magic/whatever consider a year to be something other than what we think it is, well, that'd clearly affect spells, but then you're just at the mercy of whatever these forces of definition are, which isn't exactly the fault of the rules.

Really, while I agree that there's plenty of places to pick apart the rules, I don't see this as being one of them.
    I think that for simplicity in the game it's reasonable to call a year 365 days, a day 24 hours, a week 7 days, and a month 30 days (in case anything is measured in months).
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #259

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I think that for simplicity in the game it's reasonable to call a year 365 days, a day 24 hours, a week 7 days, and a month 30 days (in case anything is measured in months).
    If every month is 30 days long, how do you fit 365 days into a year?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    If every month is 30 days long, how do you fit 365 days into a year?
    Shh, I was hoping nobody would notice that.
    Jude P.

21. - Top - End - #261

SwashbucklerGuy

13 months of 28 days long, with one spare day?

*It does.*

What.

22. - Top - End - #262

13 months of 28 days long, with one spare day?
    But that one spare day is also a month. And a week.

I think it would be easier to just round the year down to 364 days (because it's a fantasy world anyway, things can work however you want them to), make 13 months of 28 days, and be done with it. How often do things come up that are on the scale of months or years, anyway? The longest campaign I played in lasted for an entire semester in real life and lasted a few weeks in the game world.
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #263

Faerūn, mysteriously, has years exactly the same length as Earth's - 365.25 days, give or take a bit - but their standard Dale Reckoning calendar divides them up into 12 months of 30 days, plus 5 or 6 (in leap Shieldmeet years) extracalendric holidays. And each month is exactly 3 weeks of 10 days. This means that crafting, which is figured per-week, takes longer in Faerūn than it would in Greyhawk, which uses, IIRC, 7-day weeks, and fully twice as long as it would on Dragaera, which has 5-day weeks.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Faerūn, mysteriously, has years exactly the same length as Earth's - 365.25 days, give or take a bit - but their standard Dale Reckoning calendar divides them up into 12 months of 30 days, plus 5 or 6 (in leap Shieldmeet years) extracalendric holidays. And each month is exactly 3 weeks of 10 days. This means that crafting, which is figured per-week, takes longer in Faerūn than it would in Greyhawk, which uses, IIRC, 7-day weeks, and fully twice as long as it would on Dragaera, which has 5-day weeks.
    Well that's incredibly strange. Though I doubt the developers stopped to think how the calendar would affect durations of effects or the like.
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #265

I'm offended that my stealth pun led to an actual discussion.

26. - Top - End - #266

What, the one about leap years? Yeah, I saw it. I was just praying that nobody would continue the string of puns.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #267

It was just too well hidden.

28. - Top - End - #268

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    It actually make some sense for crafting, since the rules for crafting per-week say progress is measured in sp, while progress per day is measured in cp. Since 1 sp = 10 cp, making weeks of 10 days makes more sense (instead of being almost 50% more productive when working on a longer term (week) over working over a shorter term (day)).

*It does.*

What.

29. - Top - End - #269

What, the one about leap years? Yeah, I saw it. I was just praying that nobody would continue the string of puns.
    Yeah, I thought it was bound to happen.

30. - Top - End - #270

It actually make some sense for crafting, since the rules for crafting per-week say progress is measured in sp, while progress per day is measured in cp. Since 1 sp = 10 cp, making weeks of 10 days makes more sense (instead of being almost 50% more productive when working on a longer term (week) over working over a shorter term (day)).
    Oh, yeah, for added bizarreness, when figuring crafting per day, everyone else drops to Forgotten Realms rates of progress, while Forgotten Realms residents are unaffected.

And for bonus WTF, Pathfinder fixed this issue - crafting progress per day is figured by dividing progress per week by the number of days in a week - but didn't fix the original problem with base crafting time being variable depending on how many days you define a "week" to be.
    Play your character, not your alignment.