New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Soulcrafter: a soulknife remix

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    ...without soulcraft twin you can't do TWF at 1st level without using a mundane weapon in your off hand.
    Come to think of it, what happens when you use Soulcraft twin at less than 4th level? It's ML-3.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Now, I'm not familiar with the power levels of a lot of the content on GitP, but I think this class does something that might be a little bit crazy: it removes the need for buying almost anything but Wondrous Items. Stick with me, because I may be interpreting some parts wrong.

You can, at level 2, augment one item with Attune Special Property (applies a property based on the property's cost,) and Attune Enhancement Bonus (applies enhancement bonus based on level, +1 at 2,) to get, for example, a +1 Keen Shortsword. Effectively a +2 weapon at level 2.
    Now, as long as you don't change your augments, you can manifest (almost) any mundane item you need and still be sitting on that +2 weapon at level 2. You'll only be down a swift action, too, because that's how long it takes to manifest.

Now, once you get into the stages where you'd be getting magical loot (let's assume random-ish drops,) you're just going to sell any weapon or armor because you can pretty safely manage a weapon, armor, and shield with manifesting. All that's left are wondrous items, and you'll have plenty of cash at that point to outfit yourself with above-average stat or skill boosters because you don't have to worry about buying your weapons or armor.

This seems a bit overpowered to me. I dunno. I might just be leery of early magic and masterworks.

Also, can two Soulcrafts use the same augment? I'm not really clear on that, but, to me, the text under "Augment Soulcraft" doesn't seem to specifically disallow it.
    Also, can other people use your soulcrafted weapons and armor?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Signature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Come to think of it, what happens when you use Soulcraft twin at less than 4th level? It's ML-3.
    Minimum manifester level would be zero, since a negative ML is nonsensical. This does impose some restrictions; for example, you can't put augment enhancement bonus on soulcraft twin weapons when your ML is less than 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietato View Post
    Now, I'm not familiar with the power levels of a lot of the content on GitP, but I think this class does something that might be a little bit crazy: it removes the need for buying almost anything but Wondrous Items.
    To an extent, you're right. Remember, though, that MOST classes (e.g. beguiler, wizard, sorcerer, druid, cleric, dread necromancer, psion, warlock, even monk) receive little benefit from magic weapons and armor. Magic weapons and armor are actually fairly niche items that are only useful to martial characters and martial/caster hybrids. The feats Soulcraft Form and Soulcraft Talisman are intended to make such items more useful to the soulcrafter.

Now, once you get into the stages where you'd be getting magical loot (let's assume random-ish drops,) you're just going to sell any weapon or armor because you can pretty safely manage a weapon, armor, and shield with manifesting. All that's left are wondrous items, and you'll have plenty of cash at that point to outfit yourself with above-average stat or skill boosters because you don't have to worry about buying your weapons or armor.
    This is one approach you could take, and a viable one. It is not the only one, but it works well.

This seems a bit overpowered to me. I dunno. I might just be leery of early magic and masterworks.
    I think you may be undervaluing spells in your analysis. Many caster classes can also produce temporary weapons of roughly similar power. They just don't do it very often because they have even better things to do with their spell slots.

Also, can two Soulcrafts use the same augment? I'm not really clear on that, but, to me, the text under "Augment Soulcraft" doesn't seem to specifically disallow it.
    Yes. Generally, any soulcrafter who manifests two soulcrafted weapons (or both an armor and a shield) will want to do this.

Also, can other people use your soulcrafted weapons and armor?
    Certain augments grant you the limited ability to do this, but in most circumstances the answer is no.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2012-10-20 at 01:25 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Magic weapons and armor are actually fairly niche items that are only useful to martial characters and martial/caster hybrids. The feats Soulcraft Form and Soulcraft Talisman are intended to make such items more useful to the soulcrafter.
    I missed those. Can you just Talisman a +1 weapon and devote all of your augments to special abilities?
    Also, as this is a front-line combatant (complete with a method for obtaining bonus feats,) I'd imagine that magic weapons and armor are very important things to have for a soulcrafter. But their class features make them a fightin' class that benefits from, and doesn't need to buy, good weapons and armor.

I think you may be undervaluing spells in your analysis. Many caster classes can also produce temporary weapons of roughly similar power. They just don't do it very often because they have even better things to do with their spell slots.
    At the moment, I'm looking through the Spell Compendium level 1 spells (CL2 Wizard,) that can get someone two effective +2 weapons at once. All of these Lesser Orbs look pretty fun, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Signature.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

I missed those. Can you just Talisman a +1 weapon and devote all of your augments to special abilities?
    Yah.

Also, as this is a front-line combatant (complete with a method for obtaining bonus feats,) I'd imagine that magic weapons and armor are very important things to have for a soulcrafter. But their class features make them a fightin' class that benefits from, and doesn't need to buy, good weapons and armor.
    The same could be said for druids. It must be said that a soulcrafter is considerably less powerful than a druid of the same level.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'm not entirely clear on how augments work. I see two possibilities:

• Whenever you form a soulcraft, you may augment it with a number of augments of up to the number of soulcrafts you can form, and the total number of augments you have at any one time cannot exceed your class level.
    • Whenever you form a soulcraft, you may expend a number of your readied augments of up to the number of soulcrafts you can form. Those augments do not return until you ready augments again.

Which one of these is correct? The latter makes throwing an impractical style, since you'd run out of augments after a few rounds of combat.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the first one. You can reuse the same augment as much as you want on different soulcrafts.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, it's the former. Here's the relevant section.

Once you have selected your augments, you manifest the augments whenever you manifest a soulcraft. To augment a soulcraft, you must a have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the number of augments the soulcraft will have. You can apply any augment you have readied, although no soulcraft can have more augments than your maximum number of soulcrafts.
    So, for example, Lateral the 6th level soulcrafter can ready up to six augments, and can manifest up to three soulcrafts. When he readies his augments, he can ready any least or lesser augments (since a 6th level soulcrafter only has access to least and lesser augments). Since his maximum number of soulcrafts is three, no soulcraft can have more than three augments. Applying augments to a soulcraft is done at the time that the soulcraft is produced. It doesn't take any extra time, and it doesn't reduce or limit his readied augments in any way.

Let's say Lateral expects to enter a dungeon full of enemies. He readies the following augments:

• Attune Feat (Improved Shield Bash)
    • Attune Special Property (daylight)
    • Attune Special Property (keen)
    • Augment Enhancement Bonus (attack)
    • Augment Enhancement Bonus (defense)
    • Exotic Soulcrafting

Lateral then manifests a long sword, a shield, and a suit of armor.
    • For his sword, he applies Exotic Soulcrafting, Attune Special Property (keen), and Augment Enhancement Bonus (attack), creating a +2 keen silvered long sword.
    • For his armor, he applies Exotic Soulcrafting, Attune Special Property (daylight) and Augment Enhancement Bonus (defense), producing +2 mithril breastplate of daylight.
    • For his shield, he applies Exotic Soulcrafting, Attune Feat (Improved Shield Bash), and Augment Enhancement Bonus (defense), producing a +2 darkwood heavy shield and gaining Improved Shield Bash as a bonus feat while he wields it. Lateral would like to add the daylight property to his shield as well, so that he can use it twice per day instead of once. However, that would require placing four total augments on the weapon and he won't be able to do that until he's 7th level. Reflecting on it, Lateral realizes that even if he could apply the augment, the 1/day restriction on the daylight special property is shared across all of his soulcrafts, so he wouldn't be able to get an extra use out of it anyway.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

A new table has appeared!

Level Base Attack Fort Ref Will Special Soulcrafts Augments
    1st +1 +0 +2 +2 Augment soulcraft (least), soulcrafting, Weapon Focus (soulcraft weapons), Wild Talent 1 1
    2nd +2 +0 +3 +3 Empty mind, free draw, ranged soulcraft 2 2
    3rd +3 +1 +3 +3 Psychic strike 2 3
    4th +4 +1 +4 +4 Bonus feat 3 4
    5th +5 +1 +4 +4 Whisper from the soul 3 5
    6th +6/+1 +2 +5 +5 Augment soulcraft (lesser) 3 6
    7th +7/+2 +2 +5 +5 Bladewind 4 7
    8th +8/+3 +2 +6 +6 Bonus feat 4 8
    9th +9/+4 +3 +6 +6 Augment soulcraft (greater) 4 9
    10th +10/+5 +3 +7 +7 Evade burst 4 10
    11th +11/+6/+1 +3 +7 +7 Knife to the soul 5 11
    12th +12/+7/+2 +4 +8 +8 Augment soulcraft (dark), bonus feat 5 12
    13th +13/+8/+3 +4 +8 +8 Psychic strike (full attack) 5 13
    14th +14/+9/+4 +4 +9 +9 Hustle 5 14
    15th +15/+10/+5 +5 +9 +9 Augment soulcraft (fearsome) 5 15
    16th +16/+11/+6/+1 +5 +10 +10 Bonus feat 6 16
    17th +17/+12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 Bladestorm 6 17
    18th +18/+13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +11 Augment soulcraft (epic) 6 18
    19th +19/+14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +11 Fission 6 19
    20th +20/+15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +12 Bonus feat 6 20
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

All tables now updated. Thanks for the assist, mousedigits!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

If I might suggest a stylistic improvement: "class: alt1 head", "class: alt2 head", or "class: alt1 alt2 head" look more like the old tables and those in actual books (the actual books would just be "class: alt1", but then you wouldn't get a header row. "class: alt1 head" is the old tables, alt2 is a different brown on the other set of every-other-row).

"class: grid" always looks harsh to me.

Related: I've got a character in this class, going through a game on here. Seems reasonable so far.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2014-07-03 at 01:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

You're right, it looks better.

I like your character! I'd never imagined anything like a petal shadowcrafter when I made the class, which really pleases me; when people can do things with the class that I'd never thought of, I know it's a success.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2014-07-10 at 11:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

You're right, it looks better.

I look your character! I'd never imagined anything like a petal shadowcrafter when I made the class, which really pleases me; when people can do things with the class that I'd never thought of, I know it's a success.
    The thought process was as follows:
    Playing a mafia-family-style game.
    Want ranged.
    Longbow doesn't fit big cities, crossbow does.
    Big advantage of crossbow is dual-weilding.
    Big disadvantage is needing to reload.
    Hey, *crafter gives auto-reload!
    It's a dark sort of game, shadowcrafter seems to fit better.
    I always like the odd ones - a petal (in the mafia) is one such. Also that gives mobility and defenses - flight is great for an archer.

Then that game died and I transferred the character to the new one. There's a few changes in fluff that were fun but no longer fit. For example, the DM of the first wrote up an NPC or two for each of us to have some relationship with - Hyacinth was on a professional/friendly relationship with the local inexplicably-immortal-guy-who-is-thus-used-as-practice-by-any-assassins-in-training (He may come back the next day, but he sort of plays along and gets what defenses he can anyway. Sometimes Hyacinth was a bodyguard, sometimes it was the assassination equivalent of a friendly spar.) That was a fun one to put together.

Also Hyacinth's public-face job (because you can't really go around openly being an asassin, and until the mafia's established (it wasn't) you can't spread that around either) was as key insurance and tool rental. Let her handle a key, if you lose it she makes a copy so you can get into your house to get money to pay the locksmith. Also she's got assorted masterwork tools if you need a look in a book or something.

The opportunities for theft were mentioned but not yet used, because seriously that's kind of an obvious suspect if something small enough for a Petal to carry suddenly goes missing a week after you give her your key.

Those are gone in the new version, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

That does sound fun. Now I want to play a petal in Bakano.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Attempting to convert to Pathfinder...damn that is a short lit of class skills! Course, Pathfinder doesn't penalize non-class skills as much as 3.5....

Anyway, I stumbled across this while looking to make a Knight of Honor-esque character, (as in, Fate/Zero) and I was on board till fission. "Wait, no, that doesn't fit the character concept!" Even so, I love it, I'm gonna try it out in my next game, and I was wondering if a variant could be made that focuses on augmenting his body rather than other objects? Kinda like a monk or something.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

A self-infusing soulcrafter shouldn't be too difficult a variant to build. I think it might be less flexible, since you'd be limited to what you could accomplish with your own magically augmented body, but it would be thematically appropriate to include abilities like flight, incorporeality, super-strength and the ability to bash through walls, etc, so... ok that's basically superman. Should be plenty flexible. I'm buried in college courses so I don't have the time to try to brew it myself, but anyone who wants to take a stab at it can feel free, with my blessing.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2015-01-29 at 09:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a couple questions regarding the Attune Feat aspect of this class.

The description says: "If the feat requires one or more ranks in a skill or provides a bonus to a skill (such as Mounted Combat or Skill Focus), you may apply this augment to a tool or kit associated with that skill." That fairly obviously applies when the prerequisites to the feat itself include a certain amount of a skill. But what about a more indirect skill requirement? For instance, the Pierce Magical Concealment feat does not directly require any skills. BUT it does require the Mage Slayer feat, which itself requires points in Spellcraft. So Spellcraft is realistically a requirement for Pierce Magical Concealment. Is this enough to allow the feat to be attuned to an item associated with the skill? I'm making a Soulcrafter and allowing this sort of use of Attune Feat would increase the character's versatility a fair bit.

Also, the description says: "You cannot select feats that do not require specific equipment (such as Combat Expertise or Power Attack)." What exactly does this mean? Very few feats actually REQUIRE specific equipment to work (basically only weapon-specific feats, like weapon specialization). Would this prevent attuning some feats even if the feats DO require points in a certain skill? For instance, Leap Attack requires 8 ranks in Jump. Jump seems clearly associated with boots, so I figure you could attune the feat to a pair of boots. But Leap Attack does not actually REQUIRE that you have boots. So would that sentence disallow attuning Leap Attack to boots? I assume not, but I'm not certain.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Good questions!

If you're looking for a hard-and-fast rule, I'd say that a feat must require a skill or proficiency as a prerequisite. The requirement could be printed in the feat description, or implicit because it's printed in the description of a prerequisite feat (like Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Concealment). However, feats like, Iron Will or Combat Expertise don't require any skills or proficiencies to use, and thus could never be emulated with Attune Feat.

The intent of the rule is to create a thematic restriction: you are not actually learning the feat, rather, the item you are using is so great and so effective that you can accomplish things with it as if you had the feat. Thus, the feat needs to be something that could reasonably reflect the results of using a really awesome piece of gear.

As such, I'd say that a soulcrafted textbook on Spellcraft couldn't grant the Pierce Magical Concealment feat, but perhaps a monocle, spectacles, or pair of goggles could, by allowing you to see normally-invisible magical currents flowing about your target or somesuch. Leap Attack could be associated with boots, or perhaps even a longstaff or quarterstaff that doubles as a vaulting pole. However, trying to associate Leap Attack to a shortsword or a backpack or a flask would be a no-go.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

For those who are still following this thread, I have created a 5e port of the shadowcrafter, a rogue archetype called the shadowcraft assassin. This class will no longer be updated.