New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Mallside I: You Do Not Know the Power of the Mallside

The Mental Menagerie

The girl nods fantastically, "That's me! Or if you'd like I can set you up with Nate, our technician, he could probably explain better than I can, I'm just here to look pretty." She waves her arms and legs up and down, it appears she's trying to wear a snow angel into the floor....
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-09-17 at 03:33 PM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

"Well, if talking about a zither is boring, I'm going to have to apologize for my rambling on business." Grace says with a grin. "Because I imagine most people aren't interested in that. So, how about a racing game? I think arcades have some of the best, because you've actually got something a bit bigger to interact with than most other gaming systems." She points out one of the jetski based games. "See, you actually get on it and move it like you would the real vehicle... in theory, anyway. It's not quite the same, of course."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

EE

"Excuse Me, Can I Speak To Somebody....?" Chez Asks.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Mental Menagerie]

"I think that's a good idea. I'll talk to Nate." Genevieve says, looking a bit relieved that she'll be talking to someone she assumes is older.

Celena is adorable. <.<

5. - Top - End - #245

[Concourse]

Well...

Technically religion is a very big deal where Amil was from. It's just that there's really only two religions. And there isn't much in the way of trying to spread the faith. Just how it goes.

But that's a boring detail and Amil won't try to explain.

"Ah dead time,"
    Amil replies with a nod. Then just as quickly shakes her head. "Eerr... no, that's fine. I would be happy to help. This is Mallside. It's a recently created shopping center. Most of the businesses Inside have moved here."

Very convenient!

"Though beyond that... how long would you guess you've been stuck in stasis? It's hard for me to give a recap if I don't know what you've missed."

Wait.

How would she know how long she's been...

"Eerr, scratch that. What was the last major event you recall?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #246

The Mental Menagerie

Celena continues making snow angels in the dust while an elderly man steps out from the back. He's sporting the tonsure hairstyle and is bedecked in traditional monk's attire. The only thing out of place is the rather high tech tablet computer he's holding.

"Please forgive the child, she is rather attention starved, but her heart is in the right place. Welcome to the Mental Menagerie, we sell experiences, events, skills, abilities, dreams and everything in between. So tell me young one, is there anything missing in your life?" As he says this he presses the screen of his touchpad purposefully and the Mental Menagerie's Mind Manipulating Machine (*TM) decends from the ceiling behind him.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

Takara eyes the jet ski dubiously. "I have never been one much for riding, either vehicles or animals. But if that is how you play the game..." She gets on, a little awkwardly.

[Concourse]

Cierra sighs, running a hand through her hair. "I'm... not sure. When I was last around, I wasn't in a condition to really pay attention to current events... and now, I don't really recognize anything, or anyone..."

You know, this is really the Rip Van Winkle story. Fall asleep, wake up, and the whole world has passed you by. Everything you know, everyone you knew, all gone. Must be pretty sad. Must be pretty lonely.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Erin's Emporium (EE)

"Hello? Anyone Here... I Feel My Rights To Bear Arms Aren't Being Fully Satisfied..."

9. - Top - End - #249

[Concourse]

Well...

Except that it's been... what.

A few months?

That would be a little jarring. But not nearly as bad as what ol' Rip went through.

Amil would totally wrinkle her nose right now if she still had one. Hmm... How to go about this... Maybe...

Oh!

Her eyes light up a little as she gets an idea!

"Do you remember Vyrn's empire? Where you here for that?"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

"Well, you are here to try some new things out, right?" Grace says reassuringly. "And it isn't as difficult or as dangerous as really riding something. Just one try, and we can move on to something else if you want to."

Grace seems much more at ease at this arcade game- probably has something to do with the good balance she cultivated in her time sky boarding, though that's not a skill set she uses often. When Takara is as ready as she can get Grace starts the game.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Mental Menagerie]

"Well, maybe you could explain a little more? All I know is what was oin this card." Genevieve produces the card and holds it up. "It's some kind of magic that tampers with the mind of the target?"

12. - Top - End - #252

The Mental Menagerie

"Well not magic, at least not as you would recognize it. We've learned to replicate certain psionic anomaly with the wonders of science. The basic idea is you choose a skill or memory from our house list, we beam it into your head, and after a small adjustment period it will function as if it were your very own. In exchange we traditionally ask for a copy of one of your interesting memories or skills of equal or greater value to add to the list. Recently we've opened our ways to accept other forms of payment, as well as pay top dollar for clients memories who are short on cash thanks to some innovative customers that requested it. He throws out a standard pitch while making adjustments to the hulking machine with his touchpad, causing it to vibrate like an out-of-sync washing machine.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

[Concourse]

"The Empire? Yes, I know of them. They control Inside. Or, they did when I left." Cierra looks at Amil, maybe guessing at what she's getting at.

___

[Neon Colisuem]

Takara does not do well. "I could move through the water better than these cumbersome machines do." She growls in frustration as she wrestles with the controls.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

"I doubt they'd even float, so you're probably right." Replies Grace jovially. She won quite handily, which probably contributes to her good mood. "But perhaps you'd like to try something else? Any ideas?"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

Takara looks around, before pointing at some cabinets against the wall. "What is pinball?"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    The Mental Menagerie

"Well not magic, at least not as you would recognize it. We've learned to replicate certain psionic anomaly with the wonders of science. The basic idea is you choose a skill or memory from our house list, we beam it into your head, and after a small adjustment period it will function as if it were your very own. In exchange we traditionally ask for a copy of one of your interesting memories or skills of equal or greater value to add to the list. Recently we've opened our ways to accept other forms of payment, as well as pay top dollar for clients memories who are short on cash thanks to some innovative customers that requested it. He throws out a standard pitch while making adjustments to the hulking machine with his touchpad, causing it to vibrate like an out-of-sync washing machine.
    "Hm, so it's kind of like memories from a pensieve, but putting them in someone else's head?" Genevieve doubts that Nate knows what she's talking about, so she continues. "I'm not sure that I can think of anything I want though." Unfortunately she came here without anything in mind. She was mostly just curious.

17. - Top - End - #257

The Mental Menagerie

One major advantage of owning and operating a machine with access to more knowledge than most other things in the known universe is that Nate often knows exactly what others are talking about. "That's a good, if simplistic comparison. Perhaps there is a branch of magic you never had the time to study? Or a hobby you were considering taking up? If all else fails I would recomend one of our relaxing vacation ensembles. There is truly nothing better than the cheerful bliss that follows a rejuvinating period of rest." He taps awhile on the touch pad, bringing up pensieve to see what the heck she was talking about. The machine eventually calms down, buzzing slightly.

18. - Top - End - #258

[Concourse]

Amil smiles a smallish smile! Alright. That's certainly a start. "If you know about the empire then you couldn't have been out for more than two years."

A beat.

"Which... I guess Is quite a while all things considered..."

Though she's heard of people being stuck in stasis longer than that before.

"The Empire is gone. Has been for a while now. Presently a military unit that used to be part of the Empire is policing the City. Though... I'm not sure what their authority extends to beyond that..."

She still really isn't that clear on Remnat's mission statement. One would think she would have picked up on that during her brief time working for them.

"A City Council is in charge of things, too."

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Mental Menagerie]

Does it have Google?

Genevieve has had it drilled into her head that shortcuts like these are dangerous and should be avoided. Although, that vacation thing sounds interesting. "Maybe the vacation thing? What would be the cost for that?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

"Oh. It's kind of hard to explain. Here, let me show you the machine." Grace leads the way over. "The object is to score as many points as possible. You get points by getting this small ball, which is launched from here, into various parts of the machine. Your primary method of controlling this ball, are these." She points out the flippers. "You control these via this mechanism, and can hit the ball towards what direction you want with good timing. If the ball drops past them though, you lose, though it is possible to get extra balls to replace the one you lost via in game mechanisms."

21. - Top - End - #261

The Mental Menagerie

This thing makes the google servers look like a desktop dell running windows ME.

"Not the type to wish for generations of knowledge at your fingertips? Well like I said earlier, we trade memories for similar memories, so a vacation from our vault would be worth a copy of an experience you had that was of a comparable length. For instance, a week of our perfect beach would be worth a week of whatever you wish to trade. Please note we do not extract memories from your head, but rather copy them for later enjoyment. All thoughts will be garunteed unharmed or you will be compensated for their loss. MM Inc. is not responsible for psychosis, extra personalities, or disassociative leg syndrome caused by excessive use of their services." He subvocalizes the last bits, but she may be able to hear him anyway.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

[Concourse]

"Oh." Cierra looked down at her shoes. "Two years. That... isn't as bad as I feared." She looks up. "Is the Good League of Good still around? HALO? AMEN?"

___

[Neon Coliseum]

Takara nods. "Alright. It seems simple." Takara steps up and starts to play. As she gets more into the game, though, she starts to use more force, eventually accidentally causing a tilt. "What happened?" She asked, watching as the ball fell past her non responsive flippers.

23. - Top - End - #263

[Concourse]

Amil nods in the affirmative. "All are still around as far as I know. GLoG got its old base destroyed during the cat person 'war'. If you can really call what happened a war..."

Mostly a giant army rampaging around.

And then suddenly keeling over dead for no readily apparent reason.

"HALO is still... well... whatever HALO is."

She knows they used to struggle in epic confrontations or some such against AMEN. But that hasn't happened in ages. Amil has no idea what they're doing down there now.

"And AMEN is still filled with a bunch of thankfully incompetent lunatics."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

[Neon Coliseum]

"Ah, right... well, in theory you can move the ball around by physically moving the machine, and to an extent this is allowed. But too much can damage the machine, so they incorporate a 'tilt' mechanic, where if the machine is tilted too much, you automatically lose." Grace explains. "I should have said that earlier, I'm sorry."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Mental Menagerie]

"Alright. How about a week of vacation for the first week of my training as a witch?" Genevieve suggests. That's probably paying a little too much, assuming that a week of training like that is worth more than simple vacation.

26. - Top - End - #266

The Mental Menagerie

"Well assuming you learned something useful in that time, you could get more than just a week out of it. Assuming that's what you're willing to offer I'll be able to judge the worth of your memory using this fancy gizmo and offer you exactly what it can be traded for."

Waldorf is dragging another plastic lawn chair from the back, and replaces the one in front of the machine with it.

"Now if you'll just sit down and perhaps describe what type of vacation you'd like, we can get you all set up and out of here in no time."

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Mental Menagerie]

Genevieve takes a seat. By this point this whole thing has her pretty fascinated. "I'm not sure. I've never seen the ocean. Maybe something there." A nice beach vacation would do just fine.

28. - Top - End - #268

The Mental Menagerie

"Alright let's get a reading then shall we?" He waves his arms over the theramin tube and the whole things springs to life, whirling flipping and buzzing for several seconds until one of the hexagonal plates of chrome drops down in front of them and displays a wave grid, this one made up of various shades of green. Some numbers trail by along the bottom before it goes blank, and the screen shows a beautiful white sand beach, along with the number 95672 superimposed over it.

"Okay, nothing we don't have already, but it will add to our witch programming nonetheless. Looks like you got... a week and a half of fun in the sun out of that, so let's start her up. He waves a hand negligently and the machine springs to life again briefly, having already completed the preliminary transfer.

And suddenly, Genevieve Remembers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I arrived late at night to the bed and breakfast, but the owners were so kind about it even though I hated to keep them up. First thing in the morning I was out in the surf, my lord how I missed this. I haven't been to the beach in so long I was worried I had forgotten how to swim, but it was absolutely perfect. The water was warmer than I remembered it, there was no standing at the shoreline, shivering as it rinsed over my toes. I just dove in headfirst and let it envelope me in its cleansing embrace. Afterwards I sunbathed awhile, kneading my toes through sand so fine each grain was practically invisible. It felt like silk on my skin, and I luxuriated in it. The next two days were very much the same, rising with dawn and just Living for hours, without a care in the world. I came to know my hosts fairly well by that point, and on the fourth morning they said they had something special lined up for me, if I wanted to come along. There was a small island just off shore, and I had joked once that I felt like swimming to it. Well it turned out they had rented a boat tour, just for me, and we spent the day digging for clams and camped out under the stars on that tiny island. The next week was a comfortable blur, and every time I think back to it I can feel the sun on my face.
    ((Warning, massive block of text detected!))
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2011-09-17 at 07:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

[Concourse]

"I see. As much as things change, they stay the same." Cierra scratches the back of her neck. "Let's see, who else... oh. Is Watchtower still there and still grumpy? And is there anyone else I should know about?"

___

[Neon Coliseum]

"Oh, I see." Takara looks the machine over. "It's a strange game. Loud, and a bit random."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post

"I came here to think. My employer is in deep deadtime, so until he wakes up, I need something to do, but I'm not sure what that is."
    "You could always try enjoying yourself? Do you like music?"
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!