New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Report Inappropriate Ads Here

It may or may not be a scam, as there are sites that did that and do pay you. They get their money from advertising and pay you a portion of that.

However, I cannot actually check for myself, as the site it is linking to appears to be down completely, replaced with a default "new site" landing page.

The Giant will take a closer look soon. There is no need for further reports unless the site returns and you have some new information regarding its legitimacy.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible:
    11:39 AM, July 20 2014
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World):
    USA
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box):
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic):
    Ad is for the blog "Worst things for sale", which reviews "terrible" things you can buy online. Items mentioned on the blog include erotic novels, novelty sex toys, various scatological items, drug alternatives, and condescending, insulting descriptions of a number of real-world religious/philosophical books. The current ad features the title and part of the cover art of the "horror" novel "Amish Vampires In Space".

I'm not certain if the ad itself is inappropriate, but the content it links to certainly is.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

1. Date and Time Visible: July 21st 11:38 AM Eastern Standard Time
    2. Region: U.S.
    3. Top or Bottom: Top
    4 brief description of objectionable content: "It's wrong to be naked (unless you're hot)" and it's clearly referencing Bible, given that it says "Holy bibble" in the bottom right corner, and the ad picture.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    1. Date and Time Visible: July 21st 11:38 AM Eastern Standard Time
    4 brief description of objectionable content: "It's wrong to be naked (unless you're hot)" and it's clearly referencing Bible, given that it says "Holy bibble" in the bottom right corner, and the ad picture.
    That one's also visible in Europe, at 21.41 PM CEST. It seems to be an add for a webcomic called Holy Bibble.
    Last edited by Lycunadari; 2014-07-21 at 02:43 PM.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't seen any other reports for this ad, so here we go.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 7/21/2014 at 3:01 pm CST.
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic):

Ad shows Adam, Eve and the Serpent in Eden. Goes to holy-bibble.com. Site is a webcomic that seemingly is either religious, or makes fun of religion. Either one would be against forum guidelines.

edit: I was wrong, it was already reported. Sorry for the repeat.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2014-07-21 at 03:09 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

6. - Top - End - #396
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    I haven't seen any other reports for this ad, so here we go.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 7/21/2014 at 3:01 pm CST.
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top

Ad shows Adam, Eve and the Serpent in Eden. Goes to holy-bibble.com. Site is a webcomic that seemingly is either religious, or makes fun of religion. Either one would be against forum guidelines.
    One of the most frustrating things about Project Wonderful is that it does not provide any means of looking up what ad was displaying on your site at what time. All you can look up is what ads are currently displaying, what ads are still active but have been outbid, what ads have had their bids naturally expired, and what ads have had their bids paused. Notably, there is no way to see ads that have been manually canceled by the advertiser, at least not that I can find. And there's no way to search all users of Project Wonderful to find a specific advertiser.

All of which is to say that I can't track this site down using PW's tools. I tried going to the site directly, but while it has a PW box displaying ads there, that box seems to be an aggregate box for several websites. Since that aggregate ID does not show up on my list of PW bids, there's no way to tell if it's the one that placed the ad or if a separate PW account created directly by the comic creator did.

So, if the ad shows up again, report it again and hopefully I'll be online at the time and can track it down and (probably) ban it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    11:39 AM, July 20 2014
    USA
    Ad is for the blog "Worst things for sale", which reviews "terrible" things you can buy online. Items mentioned on the blog include erotic novels, novelty sex toys, various scatological items, drug alternatives, and condescending, insulting descriptions of a number of real-world religious/philosophical books. The current ad features the title and part of the cover art of the "horror" novel "Amish Vampires In Space".

I'm not certain if the ad itself is inappropriate, but the content it links to certainly is.
    I disagree. The content referencing sexual stuff if blurred out and deliberately censored, and everything else is not my problem, because it's not my job to censor the internet. The ad itself is especially harmless, containing none of the material you're worried about. No action taken.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #397
    Firbolg in the Playground

Date and Time: July 25, 2014 9:16 PM (UTC-5)
    Region: USA
    Description: Ad for something called "War of Life," with the alt text "Cellular Automatons Figth [sic] To The Last!"; website appears to just be Conway's Game of Life, except you can gamble real-world money (with cryptocurrencies) on the outcomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #398

Eh, I don't care. If people want to waste their fake money on fake fights, they can be my guest. The ad itself is harmless. No action taken.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Date and time ad was visible: 09 September 2014 21:30 GMT+2
    Region: Europe
    Location of ad: Top box
    Brief description of objectionable content:
    It's an add for an uncensored forum, doesn't sound wrong on itself, except the add is designed to completely look like a giant in the play ground forum topic... is that allowed? It's the same color scheme and even uses the icons. (I made a screenshot in case needed.)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 9/9/2014 at 12:37 pm PST.
    2.) Region: USA
    3.) Location of ad: Top
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad has been created to look like a piece of the website. It says, "Promoted Thread" at the top. It the shows a link to a thread called, "Hello and Check Out This Uncensored Forum". It is obviously an ad meant to trick forum goers into clicking it. Goodness knows where it leads (but it probably is not safe).

Spoiler: A screen cap of the ad
    Show
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2014-09-09 at 02:42 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad has been created to look like a piece of the website. It says, "Promoted Thread" at the top. It the shows a link to a thread called, "Hello and Check Out This Uncensored Forum". It is obviously an ad meant to trick forum goers into clicking it. Goodness knows where it leads (but it probably is not safe).
    Also visible in the UK at 20:40.

I actually followed the link, and it does indeed appear to be a discussion forum. Not all of the topics there are offensive, but many, probably most, of them are (racist, misogynist, etc.)
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2014-09-09 at 02:43 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post

Spoiler: A screen cap of the ad
    Show
    I also saw it at 3:45pm, in the US, top part of the screen.
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

1. Date and Time Visible: September 18th 12:48 AM Eastern Standard Time
    4 brief description of objectionable content: "It's wrong to be naked (unless you're hot)" and it's clearly referencing the Bible, given that it says "Holy bibble" in the bottom right corner, and the ad picture is clearly a biblical reference.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Banned

4 brief description of objectionable content: "It's wrong to be naked (unless you're hot)" and it's clearly referencing the Bible, given that it says "Holy bibble" in the bottom right corner, and the ad picture is clearly a biblical reference.
    I'd like to add to this: After giving the site a look, because I thought I should before reporting it, the content contains several explicit (though cartoonish) sexual references and acts, religious references (obviously, given it's the theme of the comic), etc, that would likely be considered NSFW and/or against the intended guidelines for ads on this site.
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2014-09-18 at 01:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    I'd like to add to this: After giving the site a look, because I thought I should before reporting it, the content contains several explicit (though cartoonish) sexual references and acts, religious references (obviously, given it's the theme of the comic), etc, that would likely be considered NSFW and/or against the intended guidelines for ads on this site.
    Speaking of which, as well as the US region it's also visible in the Rest of the World region (Australia) at 16:33 AEST September 18th (06:33 GMT).
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Colossus in the Playground

Also visibile in Europe right now (10:23 GMT+2)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

17. - Top - End - #407
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

It's still visible now.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

6:58 PM, October 7 2014
    USA
    Is for something called "Herbalife." Not sure if it deserves a banning, but it links to what appears to be some sort of scam that really wants your credit card information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

What's with the internal hyperlink ads I keep seeing? Is anyone else seeing these? Found the culprit. It was a sneaky add-on that I've removed. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2014-10-12 at 12:17 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

Internal hyperlinks is a sign of spyware or virus of some kind on your end. You can go to the Science and Technology subforum to ask for help with clearing it.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

1:31 PM October 24 2014
    USA

"What if Cinderella met Saw?" advertising a book called "Charming" by Krystal Wade

I'm not entirely sure it breaks the rules of the board, but making a comparison to a series of gorn flicks is enough to throw up a red light. The link itself just links to a book being sold on Amazon. Maybe not rules breaking, but I thought better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2014-10-24 at 12:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412

Yep, no, you made the right call. That level of extreme graphic violence is a non-starter around here. I don't know if the book in question is actually as violent as those movies, but if it isn't, then they chose a very poor comparison for their ad and are suffering the consequences thereof.

Advertiser blocked.
    Rich Burlew

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Date and Time visible: October 29 2014, 7:03 PM, EDT
    desription:
    The ad shows two women. One is dressed, but the clothes are very revealing. Nipples can be seen pushig against the clothing. It is an ad for Fallen Volume 1 on kickstarter.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2014-10-29 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typos
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    desription:
    The ad shows two women. One is dressed, but he clothes are very revealing. Nipples can be seen pushig against the clothing. It is an ad for Fallen Volume 1 on kickstarter.
    I'd like to note that both women in the ad are dressed, and one is merely dressed suggestively.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    desription:
    The ad shows two women. One is dressed, but the clothes are very revealing. Nipples can be seen pushig against the clothing. It is an ad for Fallen Volume 1 on kickstarter.
    Also just realizing that there are some images in the background that could also be suggestive.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

And even if it's not, do note that the link is to a kickstarter for a very NSFW graphic novel.

27. - Top - End - #417

Ad blocked for something which indicated that the advertised site featured, among other things, "No Girls," which led to a site containing misogynistic content.

Ads leading to hate speech will always be blocked, just for the record. I shouldn't have to say that, but here we are.
    Rich Burlew

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

Is this the appropriate place to report forum spam? This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post19157780) is spam. I'm nee and not sure how reporting works.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jinglebelle View Post
    Is this the appropriate place to report forum spam? This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post19157780) is spam. I'm nee and not sure how reporting works.
    You can a report a post as spam by clicking the button in the far lower right hand corner of the post. It looks like a triangle.

30. - Top - End - #420

You mean the lower left hand corner.