1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Report Inappropriate Ads Here

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: 5:13 Atlantic
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Canada
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box):Top
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Offers minecraft for free and one of the quotes says "No survey or viruses. Nice!". Seems to be a scam just from looking at it but I haven't clicked on it to see.
    It appeared at RotW(south korea) right now (post written time)
    Last edited by With a box; 2014-04-15 at 02:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Offers minecraft for free and one of the quotes says "No survey or viruses. Nice!". Seems to be a scam just from looking at it but I haven't clicked on it to see.
    Posting more areas/times because it looks of dodgy legality to me too:

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 08:40 British Summer Time (so 07:40 GMT or Zulu)
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Europe

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Also appears in Europe( finland specifically), at the time of this post. I opened the link, the site seemed decent, and the actually encourage the user to buy the full game, but I still doubt the legality of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 1:49 Central
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Poo Pipe; A crappy Flappy Bird clone! it's quite literally poop!" includes picture of winged, smiling piece of excrement with a halo.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Poo Pipe; A crappy Flappy Bird clone! it's quite literally poop!" includes picture of winged, smiling piece of excrement with a halo.
    Has returned again at 1:15pm, gmt -8
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Has returned again at 1:15pm, gmt -8
    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Also, returned again at 10:12 Arizona time.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

This extremely offensive ad was visible all yesterday afternoon and evening, seemed to vanish last night, and has now returned at 3 pm EST.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    This extremely offensive ad was visible all yesterday afternoon and evening, seemed to vanish last night, and has now returned at 3 pm EST.
    Confirmed. This is currently viewable on my PC screen at 12:46 AZ time.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Wow, that is so very, very banned.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 10:50 EST
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Naked Superheroes! Don't worry, only in our comics" Unwilling to follow the ad, but doesn't seem an appropriate one.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Naked Superheroes! Don't worry, only in our comics" Unwilling to follow the ad, but doesn't seem an appropriate one.
    This one's also visible in Europe, at 18.30 CEST (GMT +2).
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

I checked. On the other side is, according to them, "BIGBOOKBROTHERHOOD OFFERS A FREE IPAD APPLICATION COMBINING FEATURES OF INTERACTIVE BOOKSHOP AND DIGITAL PUBLISHING FOR EVERYONE!". So... a comic reading/buying app?

That ad is very misleading, at the very least.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Additional Information: The link doesn't go to any sort of comic; it goes to a "publishing" company's page. From there you can download an app (supposedly) to view stuff, including the comic mentioned in the ad. It looks like my ridiculously old browser (I have to use IE8 at work) doesn't render the page completely correct, so there could be more to the linked page than what I'm seeing. But it very much is not a link to a web comic, but to a publisher of said webcomic who wants you to get an app, and perhaps (I didn't follow all the links) has a "you can self publish with us" thing going on as well.

edit: Ninjas everywhere! Run!
    Last edited by Zherog; 2014-05-09 at 11:52 AM.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Additional Information: The link doesn't go to any sort of comic; it goes to a "publishing" company's page. From there you can download an app (supposedly) to view stuff, including the comic mentioned in the ad. It looks like my ridiculously old browser (I have to use IE8 at work) doesn't render the page completely correct, so there could be more to the linked page than what I'm seeing. But it very much is not a link to a web comic, but to a publisher of said webcomic who wants you to get an app, and perhaps (I didn't follow all the links) has a "you can self publish with us" thing going on as well.

edit: Ninjas everywhere! Run!
    It appears to render properly on my up-to-date firefox, and you do not seem to have missed anything. It looks very hoax-like.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Pixie in the Playground

See it in US at 18:50 EST too.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Guys, if you're seeing it in the same region as someone who has already posted, there is no need for a "Me too!" post.

---

Info about the advert:
    - It's a advert for Big Book Brotherhood, a digital comic publishing and distribution program available for iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) and soon to be available on Android.
    - The app is rated 17+ in the App Store, because it allows you to purchase a range of comics, some of which might have a mature content rating. This is normal for any app that allows in-app purchases or internet browsing for material which may have a mature content rating (the entire app has to be rated for the highest rated content that can be purchased or viewed).
    - The app has passed Apple's verification system and is available in the App Store. So, not a scam, and if there are any issues with the company not following the rules, a refund can be obtained via Apple.
    - I have no idea why they chose to use "naked superheroes" within their line, because there's absolutely no mention of it on the site whatsoever. I can only assume that one of the comics that is for sale through the app is mature content rated and contains it. At the least, this is very bad form. The landing page should always contain information relevant to the advertisement (or vice versa), even if it is just a little line about which comics are available in this case.
    - I will leave the suitability of the words "naked superheroes" as an advertising slogan for Rich to decide.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 9:14 (Arizona time)
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Name: Braineater Jones, other identifying characteristic (Corpses in lust . . . it's as gross as it sounds!

18. - Top - End - #378

I don't personally think the "Braineater Jones" ad really passed muster as being a problem, but the advertiser already contacted me to say he's swapping it with a different ad, so it's all fine.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

19. - Top - End - #379

Seen in Australia at 4am, GMT+8
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

20. - Top - End - #380

OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down and canceled the ad.
    Rich Burlew

21. - Top - End - #381

1. 6/4/14, seen at 12:47 GMT -4

2. USA

3. Top box

4. Text: "Do u eat rocks? My dog eats rocks & he loves it." Advertisement for "aggro-gater"; I did not follow the link. The objectionable content was the disconcerting image accompanying the text, which was a man smiling strangely, raising a finger.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

22. - Top - End - #382

His INDEX finger, it should be noted. There is literally nothing obscene or inappropriate about that ad. Aggrogator is simply a link aggregator site like Fark or Reddit or Digg. The image is simply a funny picture of a man holding his finger up as if to say "But wait!".

23. - Top - End - #383

Yeah, I have no idea what was supposed to be objectionable about that ad. "Smiling strangely" isn't something I'm especially worried about. No action taken.
    Rich Burlew

24. - Top - End - #384

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Yeah, I have no idea what was supposed to be objectionable about that ad. "Smiling strangely" isn't something I'm especially worried about. No action taken.
    Nothing wrong with the image on its own, but to me, the issue with that ad is that we have a picture of an Asian man, and the text is broken English -- "my dog eat rocks." It relies on racial stereotyping about Asian speakers of English to make its joke.

I suppose it's also possible to read the text as simply mimicking Internet English in a way that isn't race-specific, but that wasn't my intuition about it. It may be a matter of familiarity with this type of comedy.

The site it links to seems mostly fine, but in the same vein as the above, I did see an image there that relied on Chinglish humor.
    Last edited by Bird; 2014-06-06 at 12:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: June 26, 2014, 7:43 AM
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA (East coast)
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): The ad says "SERVER IP: PLAY.STONERBROS.ORG" and shows an anthropomorphic marijuana leaf with red eyes, holding a joint, over a minecraft background.

While I don't have any problem with marijuana per se, this is certainly not something I'd enjoy seeing pop up when I browse the site at work...
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Nothing wrong with the image on its own, but to me, the issue with that ad is that we have a picture of an Asian man, and the text is broken English -- "my dog eat rocks." It relies on racial stereotyping about Asian speakers of English to make its joke.

I suppose it's also possible to read the text as simply mimicking Internet English in a way that isn't race-specific, but that wasn't my intuition about it. It may be a matter of familiarity with this type of comedy.

The site it links to seems mostly fine, but in the same vein as the above, I did see an image there that relied on Chinglish humor.
    Either they just made a typo (a brief look at the site suggests there are lot of them) or they're unable to even type proper "Chinglish." If they were, it would say "My dog eat rocks & he love it," not "he loves it."
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

27. - Top - End - #387
    Orc in the Playground

Not an ad, but found this thread in the Banter' forum and it seems sort of odd:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...mp-Tammy-Movie

This one too: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-fifa-cup-live

Are these posts OK? Shouldn't I report them? Or should I report them somewhere else on the forum?

EDIT: , OK reported them via the proper method
    Last edited by Harlot; 2014-07-08 at 03:52 PM.
    1) "Let's split up!"
    2) silence
    3) TPK

28. - Top - End - #388
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Harlot View Post
    Not an ad, but found this thread in the Banter' forum and it seems sort of odd:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...mp-Tammy-Movie

This one too: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-fifa-cup-live

Are these posts OK? Shouldn't I report them? Or should I report them somewhere else on the forum?
    Those are spam posted by a bot, and the appropriate response is to report them via the little exclamation-mark-in-triangle button on the bottom left of their posts.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2014-07-08 at 03:22 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: July 9 2014, 15:15 PM
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the world
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): [/b]ClixSense: Get PAID to: Visit websites ,Complete Tasks ,Refer Others, Take Surveys, Complete Offers.

I dont trust that.
    Last edited by super dark33; 2014-07-09 at 07:20 AM.
    Despite everything, its still me.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: July 9 2014, 15:15 PM
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the world
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): [/b]ClixSense: Get PAID to: Visit websites ,Complete Tasks ,Refer Others, Take Surveys, Complete Offers.

I dont trust that.
    Also visible in Europe. The site didn't give me any malware warnings or such, but I also find this sort of activity... suspicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.