Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Report Inappropriate Ads Here

1.) Date and time ad was visible:

9:23, November 28, 2011

2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World):

USA

3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box):

Bottom box

4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic):

Advertisement banner not objectionable at all. Good production values, clean lines, etc. Site that banner links to is massively skeevy. It's framed like one of those "work-at-home-mom-makes-$40,000-in-a-week" banners, and is at the very least a pyramidal marketing scheme, if not seething with viruses. When you try to leave the page, it does one of those "do you really, really wanna leave" pop-ups. The site claims to be selling a subscription service to a compendium of information on how to instantly get hired to make bajillions of dollars testing video games that you wanted to play anyway, and is so enthusiastic about how easy this is as long as you pay them money for it.

While there may technically be some legitimate advice being offered here, the whole setup reeks of scam.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

2. - Top - End - #32
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Da View Post
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic):

Advertisement banner not objectionable at all. Good production values, clean lines, etc. Site that banner links to is massively skeevy. It's framed like one of those "work-at-home-mom-makes-$40,000-in-a-week" banners, and is at the very least a pyramidal marketing scheme, if not seething with viruses. When you try to leave the page, it does one of those "do you really, really wanna leave" pop-ups. The site claims to be selling a subscription service to a compendium of information on how to instantly get hired to make bajillions of dollars testing video games that you wanted to play anyway, and is so enthusiastic about how easy this is as long as you pay them money for it.

While there may technically be some legitimate advice being offered here, the whole setup reeks of scam.
    While you explained very well why the ad is objectionable, this doesn't describe the ad itself to help identify which ad it is.

Assuming it's still showing the same one (it seems to match with the "make bajillions testing video games" but with the rest of the description I don't want to click on it to check), it says "BECOME A GAME TESTER" and has a close-up of a face that would fit right in a Final Fantasy game on the right.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2011-11-28 at 11:30 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Advertiser blocked.

And yes, a physical description of the ad itself (not the site the ad links to) is required. Color, text, description of images. Oftentimes, by the time I see an ad report, the advertiser has been outbid and it is not possible to search the bidders for "what was active at 9:23 AM," though I wish it was. I then need to dig through the list of Outbid Bids to find it, and there are usually 20-30 of those at any one time.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

4. - Top - End - #34

Thank you, douglas and Giant. That was exactly the ad I meant.

I think the face was actually from a final fantasy game, since the site had a lot of screen-caps from big budget releases to try and shore up its claims. I'm glad it's been blocked.
    Freelance writer and editor, at your service.

http://www.fictionpress.com/~solemncoyote

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible:

12:10pm EDT

2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World):

US

3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box):

Top box

Text of the ad is "Free iPhone 4s." A quick click on the link and the site appears to be one of those scam survey sites that keeps you filling out surveys while dangling the "carrot" just out of your reach.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

6. - Top - End - #36

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 30th November 2011, 23:50 (GMT+1)
    2.) Region: Europe
    3.) Location of ad: Top box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content: It's an ad for war-gamers.com, subtitled "What Happens When There's Nothing To Do In The Greatest Military In The World...", with two stick-figures talking. The objectionable content is a big nipple (as confirmed by the dialogue between the other characters) walking around the stick-figures. While I'm personally just weirded out and not offended, I am not certain that big nipple is SFW.
    Weirdest thing I've written this month, enough Internet for me... until December in 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 30th November 2011, 18:21 (GMT-5)
    2.) Region: US
    3.) Location of ad: Top box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content:
    It's an ad for war-gamers.com, subtitled "What Happens When There's Nothing To Do In The Greatest Military In The World...", with two stick-figures talking. The objectionable content is a big nipple (as confirmed by the dialogue between the other characters) walking around the stick-figures. While I'm personally just weirded out and not offended, I am not certain that big nipple is SFW.
    Well, I found it disturbing and rather offensive.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

9. - Top - End - #39

I'm not entirely sure if the ad is objectionable, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry? The way it seems to attempt to look like some official part of the forum makes me worried.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: November 30th, 6:30 PM Eastern
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad is titled "Our Top Recommended Download" and is made of three boxes of three colors, the scheme matching that used by this very site. It also states "This is the perfect free alternative to microsoft office." Again, it may not actually be objectionable, and isn't NSFW, but the way it attempts to appear official is unsettling.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if the ad is objectionable, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry? The way it seems to attempt to look like some official part of the forum makes me worried.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: November 30th, 6:30 PM Eastern
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad is titled "Our Top Recommended Download" and is made of three boxes of three colors, the scheme matching that used by this very site. It also states "This is the perfect free alternative to microsoft office." Again, it may not actually be objectionable, and isn't NSFW, but the way it attempts to appear official is unsettling.
    The link goes to a site that triggers a warning on my browser and attempts to present itself as the openoffice.org site. This is a scam site, no question about it.

EDIT: It also attempts to install malware on your computer.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2011-11-30 at 06:45 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Text of the ad is "Free iPhone 4s." A quick click on the link and the site appears to be one of those scam survey sites that keeps you filling out surveys while dangling the "carrot" just out of your reach.
    Advertiser blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    It's an ad for war-gamers.com, subtitled "What Happens When There's Nothing To Do In The Greatest Military In The World...", with two stick-figures talking. The objectionable content is a big nipple (as confirmed by the dialogue between the other characters) walking around the stick-figures. While I'm personally just weirded out and not offended, I am not certain that big nipple is SFW.
    Ad rejected, but advertiser has not been blocked. I will send a message permitting them to bid with a less NSFW ad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Ad is titled "Our Top Recommended Download" and is made of three boxes of three colors, the scheme matching that used by this very site. It also states "This is the perfect free alternative to microsoft office." Again, it may not actually be objectionable, and isn't NSFW, but the way it attempts to appear official is unsettling.
    Advertiser blocked (but more for being a scam site than because they tried to match my color scheme).
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

12. - Top - End - #42

BardGuy

Date and Time ad was visible: December 7th, 5:19 PM, Eastern
    Region: USA and Europe
    Location of ad: Bottom Box
    Brief description: This ad may not actually be objectionable, but it's giving off scammy signals. The text reads "Like making gifs and watching videos? Get 100 dollars for watching this video" and shows a seemingly unrelated picture of a person standing in a kitchen. Like I said, just getting scammy vibes.

13. - Top - End - #43

I checked it out and it seems legit; the money is not for watching videos, but for doing actual work converting them. It leads to a tumblr account where the guy (pictured in the ad) runs a contest where he asks people to convert his YouTube stuff into animated gifs. He picks the best one and pays them for it. Sort of weird, but I don't get any inherent malware or scam signals.

Unless someone can give me more specific info that leads to this being an outright scam of some kind (or a dangerous site), I'm going to let it slide.
    Rich Burlew

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Date and Time ad was visible: December 12th, 8:24 AM, Pacific
    Region: USA
    Location of ad: Bottom Box
    Brief description: Shows a drawing of a man chasing three women in bikinis with his tongue out. To the right is a man holding a dog saying "And dogs are the ones who need leashes?"

Edit: I've looked at the site the ad leads to, and it's a relatively SFW webcomic.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2011-12-12 at 11:29 AM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

15. - Top - End - #45

Sexist (both ways), but no action taken.
    Rich Burlew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 16th Dexember, 14:26 GMT
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Europe
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): An ad for the webcomic "Greg" which involves a pair of adventurers and a Medusa. In the first panel, the Medusa mentions that she's naked from head to toe, and in the next, the two adventurers are staring at her (as statues).
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #47

I can't find this bid in my data from PW, so unfortunately no action taken. If it comes back, I reserve the right to block it depending on my own view of the ad.

But I will say that reporting every ad with a potential sexual innuendo or reference is not the intended purpose of this thread. The joke being mentioned doesn't sound like it would be out of place in OOTS itself, depending on the framing of the panels and the artwork. I think a joke that amounts to, "Hey, sometimes men like to look at naked women," is just about as tame a sexual reference as you can manage, as long as the image didn't actually depict any naked women in it.
    Rich Burlew

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I can't find this bid in my data from PW, so unfortunately no action taken. If it comes back, I reserve the right to block it depending on my own view of the ad.
    So you don't have to wait 'till it appears again, the webad is a resized to fit in a banner ad sized window of this comic.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated in any way shape or form with Greg)
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-12-17 at 01:38 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

19. - Top - End - #49

Yeah, OK, then. Having seen it now, I have to reiterate my verdict on the previous ad of, "Sexist, but no action taken."
    Rich Burlew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 4:46 PM, 12/25
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Banner labeled "Switchblade Goddess by Lucy A. Snyder" and has a review which says "Snyder injects this edgy urban fantasy with an erotic charge"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

And... what's objectionable about it?

It links to an Amazon page for a novel named, oddly enough, "Switchblade Goddess" by an author named Lucy Snider. The novel is published by a reputable fantasy paperback publisher (Del Rey).
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I merely thought mentioning "erotic charge" might be against the forum rules.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Methinks maybe there should be some definition in the opening post about what constitutes inappropriate.
    Obviously, Malware, Scam sites, offensive language and nudity (Shown, not implied) are appropriate reasons for taking down an ad, but things like the medusa gag shouldn't bear mention.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Eledragon View Post
    I merely thought mentioning "erotic charge" might be against the forum rules.
    It's not. No action taken.
    Rich Burlew

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan 2, 12
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Europe
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Guilded Age - animated ad
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

One would think the phrase "Become a huge douche" would also be offensive.

27. - Top - End - #57

I don't care so much about the "huge douche" line, but animation is not allowed. Bid canceled, but the advertiser has not been blocked from bidding again with a non-animated ad.
    Rich Burlew

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 7:54 PM, January 4, 2012

2:) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA

3:) 3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom

4:) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): See for yourself.

SCRUBBED. Please describe the content, don't give the advertiser a free second view of their ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

29. - Top - End - #59

Bid canceled, per our "No discussion of religions" rule.
    Rich Burlew

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 01/05/2012 2:13 pm

2:) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA

3:) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top

4:) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Death of the Mobile?" It's an ad for a "Free presentation" about the mobile market/stock market. Most likely a scam site.
    Last edited by Cristo Meyers; 2012-01-05 at 03:17 PM.