New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Report Inappropriate Ads Here

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Filling out the details on that one:
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 16, 2013, 7:01 pm
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Canada and Rest of the World
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad for webcomic called Character Development. It includes a four panel mini comic, and the punchline in the final panel mentions genitals.
    Ad canceled. Advertiser has been contacted and told they could run a different (less objectionable) ad in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 17, 2013, 5:30 pm (GMT +9)
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World (South Korea)
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Hey You Girl! Yes, You! Stop Moaning about Getting Your Ex Back. Do Something About It. Click Here Now.
    Also a Picture of Uncle Sam in the "I Want You" pose.
    Ad canceled. Advertiser blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: 3:49 am (Central), January 17, 2013
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): USA
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "The End of Youtube: Click to watch video". Not sure if it's objectionable per se, but I find it suspicious. It should be checked by someone with good security.
    I watched some of this, and it basically amounts to a pitch for an IndieGoGo drive to fund a new type of video content creation whatchamacallit, to prevent said "dark future." I don't think there's anything shady going on, unless someone has additional evidence.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: Jan. 18, 2013, 6:35 am (GMT +9)
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Rest of the World (South Korea)
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top and Bottom
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Not sure if this one is legal or not: World 8-4, a Minecraft Server.

I don't play Minecraft, so I don't know the difference between Legal and Shady servers. If this is legit, sorry for the false alarm.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

3. - Top - End - #213

I likewise know little, but it looks legitimate. If anyone has specific reason to think otherwise, feel free to say so. Otherwise, I'll let it stand.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 2013-01-18T15:57 GMT-8
    2.) Region: USA
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Some site called the "T-Shirt Bordello", with some ... vague innuendo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: 2013-01-18T15:57 GMT-8
    2.) Region: USA
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Some site called the "T-Shirt Bordello", with some ... vague innuendo.
    I don't see anything remotely NSFW or even mildly sexual. Unless you're referring to the "Trek yourself before you wreck yourself" which refers to a popular song with the line "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". Same goes for all the shirts on the site itself despite their slogan of "The place for dirty laundry" they keep everything clean and appropriate for public wearing.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    I don't see anything remotely NSFW or even mildly sexual. Unless you're referring to the "Trek yourself before you wreck yourself" which refers to a popular song with the line "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". Same goes for all the shirts on the site itself despite their slogan of "The place for dirty laundry" they keep everything clean and appropriate for public wearing.
    OK, maybe it's just weirdly tasteless. It still kinda bugs me though....
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

1.Date/Time Visible: 01:30 PST (-8 gmt) 1/22/13
    2.Region; California
    3.Top/Bottom Box: Top Box
    4.Objectionable Content: An Ad for an Asian Dating website, possibly a scam from the look of the ad; I didn't follow it to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusMFD View Post
    I don't know what made me laugh harder, the original post or Hbgplayer's response
    One of the most interesting Derailments I've ever seen!
    Great Avatar by Ceika!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

Asiandating site looks legitimate actually. They have a mobile site and a few clicks aroun makes it feel creepy but not Scammy. No more of a scam than any other dating site at least.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 25th/7:55 PM
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Bottom Box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Scrolling over the ad gave me a pop up that said "click here to get stoned" or something along those lines. Needless to say I didn't follow the link to confirm it was the ad. I don't trust my current firewall enough to do that.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: January 25th/7:55 PM
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Scrolling over the ad gave me a pop up that said "click here to get stoned" or something along those lines. Needless to say I didn't follow the link to confirm it was the ad. I don't trust my current firewall enough to do that.
    That sounds like the top box ad, not bottom, and it's for a webcomic. The "get stoned" line is a joke referring to the petrification by a medusa shown in the ad. This specific ad has been reported before, both for "stoned" and for a nudity reference, and was judged to be ok.

Edit: And it got swapped out moments after I posted.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2013-01-25 at 11:13 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That sounds like the top box ad, not bottom, and it's for a webcomic. The "get stoned" line is a joke referring to the petrification by a medusa shown in the ad. This specific ad has been reported before, both for "stoned" and for a nudity reference, and was judged to be ok.

Edit: And it got swapped out moments after I posted.
    Alright, I have noticed that ad up there many many times in the past but had never gotten the pop up before. My computer was lagging at the time so I guess that explains why it showed up for the bottom box.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 26 January 2013, 0913 AM
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Ad states "Does she want to be just friends? FIND OUT WHY! Click here!" Brief click-through confirms it's one of those about "The friend zone", and, more candidly, about getting women to sleep with you, and the portal asks for a name and an e-mail address. It's just enough to set my scam-alarm off.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2013-01-26 at 09:19 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion6 View Post
    Alright, I have noticed that ad up there many many times in the past but had never gotten the pop up before. My computer was lagging at the time so I guess that explains why it showed up for the bottom box.
    Regardless, it still seems to violate the 'Flaming' rules:

•Posting insults or slurs based on anyone's race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, or sexual orientation is a Permanent Infraction (see below).

Depicting men as being unable to control their urges has drawn consequences in the past in these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    Regardless, it still seems to violate the 'Flaming' rules:

•Posting insults or slurs based on anyone's race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender, or sexual orientation is a Permanent Infraction (see below).

Depicting men as being unable to control their urges has drawn consequences in the past in these forums.
    Strictly speaking, advertisers are not under the exact same set of rules that posters are. While we do judge ads for their content—and often reject them based upon it—we do not necessarily draw the lines in the same place.

Further, let's not discuss whether an ad is appropriate or not here. Just report it and leave it to me to decide.

I will check into the other reports and post again.
    Rich Burlew

15. - Top - End - #225

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:30 EST
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Attention: Gamers in large red text. Offering free online backup, according to the add. Set off my scam alarm. I haven't gone to the website.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

16. - Top - End - #226

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:30 EST
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Attention: Gamers in large red text. Offering free online backup, according to the add. Set off my scam alarm. I haven't gone to the website.
    Following the ad leads to a site (mypcbackup.com) which appears to legitimately offer pc backup services.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Following the ad leads to a site (mypcbackup.com) which appears to legitimately offer pc backup services.
    197 reviews:
    http://reviewopedia.com/workathome/m...legit-or-scam/
    Around 50% or more of the reviewers complained about shoddy quality, difficulty canceling, adware and charging the credit card after the free trial against user wishes. Difficulty canceling was the biggest complaint.

There are accusations that even many of the 5 star reviews are fake, the other 50%, and when I read them many of them did seem to be worded like ads. I don't think real people could ever write comments like that and they are all way too similar to each other. Probably paid to put a feature list in their own words.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2013-02-01 at 12:59 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Now that same site is advertising "Free $500 Gamestop giftcards." That really sounds like a scam to me.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 5:47 pm Eastern time, February 1, 2013
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Attention: Gamers Get a FREE $500 GameStop gift card". Investigating the site (branddealonline.com), their privacy policy includes a clause that you specifically authorize and consent to them bombarding you with third party telemarketing, and the terms and conditions to redeem the offer require getting numerous "sponsor action points" and referring friends.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2013-02-01 at 05:53 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: 6:06 pm Central, February 1, 2013
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Attention: Gamers Get a FREE $500 GameStop gift card".

Seems extremely scammy to me.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #231

Advertiser blocked.
    Rich Burlew

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont know if this is innapropriate or not but i actually have 2 things
    1. This might be malware on my computer or something buut.

1.) Date and time ad was visible: pretty much all the time
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): in the text in posts
    4.) keeps appearing as a link to random sites to buy things like tablets, toys, clothes, and i think i saw *cough* womens clothing *cough* and when i put my cursor over it it says it's from solid savings
    one example here https://www.hyundaiusa.com/?cid=sem&...3-000013224765
    another one http://i.trkjmp.com/click?v=VVM6MzM4...jU3NzhkOWFiNDk
    it always redirects me to something random like this but it says solidsavings :p

and also i dont know where this is supposed to go but in the homebrew section of the forums there are 2 (2?) bots posting links to free video hosting sites for movies and for also political news from other countries n such
    an example from today:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273891
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2013-03-01 at 06:06 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

For your first issue, it's Malware on your PC. A program like MalwareBytes or Spybot Search and Destroy will help you get rid of it. If you need help, start a thread in Friendly Banter - lots of folks there will be quick to give you the links and advice you need.

For the second, report the first post in the thread by clicking the red triangle in the bottom left corner of the post.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Colossus in the Playground

I've had the first one. You have to go through your plug-ins and delete any that you didn't put in.

25. - Top - End - #235

1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 6, 2013 525PM (PST, GMT-8)
    2.) Region (Pick one: USA, Canada, Europe, or Rest of the World): Northwest USA
    3.) Location of ad (Top box or bottom box): Top Box
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Slackstack, Take a Break, Relax". Shows under-clothed women.
    Last edited by Gnomish Wanderer; 2013-03-06 at 08:27 PM.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): "Slackstack, Take a Break, Relax". Shows under-clothed women.
    Further Information:

3) Region: USA, Canada, Europe, and Rest of the World are all seeing this ad.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 6th, 2013, 8:26 EST
    4.)What appear to be two women, pictured only from the stomach down, in underwear/thongs. Both thongs are in the process of being taken off. The add says it is for Slackstack.com
    Last edited by Tavar; 2013-03-06 at 08:30 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

28. - Top - End - #238
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    It's on all regions.
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

1.) Date and time ad was visible: March 16, 2013, 7:29 pm
    4.) Brief description of objectionable content (including a name or other identifying characteristic): Slackstack Take a break, relax. No idea what they sell, if anything, but the image is NSFW (two girls undressing each other)

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #240
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Please stop with the minute-by-minute updates. It makes considerable extra work for Rich, who has to review them all to see if this is regarding multiple ads or just a single ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Please note that if you see that there is already a report for a given ad, it is not necessary to make another; we're not able to act faster because more than one person reported.

Also, please avoid general discussion of the ad boxes. Any post that is not a report will be deleted so that we can keep it easy for us to see for actual reports.

I've left the first several that were submitted more or less simultaneously, but there were another eight or so that pretty much just piled on and several that didn't say anything beyond "oh you beat me to it" or "eww!" Don't do that.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-03-06 at 09:38 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex