New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 4: Attack of the 60-Inch AnthroPC

But...but.. space scientist boyfriend for Marigold!

Long Distance angst for Jeph to toy with...

Long term QC gold!

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

No one else is going to comment on the little D&D print Jeph had in his rant section? Marten looks hilarious as a Bard.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Colossus in the Playground

Jeph already did that with the Penelope thing. This wouldn't be different enough to be as interesting, I don't think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #1174

Also did it with Raven's temporary Canadian boyfriend. Part of me thinks that Marigold stays behind actually. She seems to enjoy it up there. With the lasers and the anime reading head of security, and with a boyfriend it would bring it all home.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    No one else is going to comment on the little D&D print Jeph had in his rant section? Marten looks hilarious as a Bard.
    Probably there aren't any comments on it because we said all there was to say two weeks ago when it went up.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I don't know, a lot of the scientists up there seem pretty young to me.
    Less gravity means less wrinkles.

So anyway, I just finished an archive binge of this comic. I started on it twice in the past and gave up somewhere between #100 and #300 because to be honest the beginning of the comic isn't all that interesting. This time, I ended up around #1500 because of a TVtropes link and read all the way to the end, and when I done that I figured I should read the first 1499 pages as well to see how they ended up there. It's on my daily reading list now, we'll see how well it keeps up there.

I'm impressed that he kept this up for so many years and has over 2000 comics now, and I'm impressed by how much the art has improved. Favorite character is Hanners, who is just sooo cute and quirky. Least fave character is Marten, who is too much of a doormat for my taste.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

I bounce around various forums and I find it amusing how opinions of this comic vary from place to place. Over at the PA forums, this is their version of DD.

8. - Top - End - #1178

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    I bounce around various forums and I find it amusing how opinions of this comic vary from place to place. Over at the PA forums, this is their version of DD.
    I hope that doesn't mean DD gets a pass there.

On the other hand, Jeph clearly is capable of artistic evolution. I'm not quite positive that I recall everything completely, but I'd swear he showed signs of having evolved as a writer or at least attempted such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not quite sure what you gentlemen are talking about so I will instead say Janners is pretty good at drawing cute little fantasies. D'aw.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

DD is Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire. It's a webcomic that people around here love to hate, because it's apparently badly written and the bad artwork never improves even after years.

Something like that. I don't read it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

Really? Could you tell us why they think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you gentlemen are talking about
    Check out this thread - it's the 43rd thread about people here mocking and snarking DD. The first post explains why.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

12. - Top - End - #1182

Looks like Hannelore is as optimistic as you guys. Which is even more evidence of hilarious failure.

Also, while Hannelore was drawing these, wouldn't the scientist have already started talking to Marigold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Jeph! You should always check the Tattoo Body Map before getting inked.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Looks like Hannelore is as optimistic as you guys. Which is even more evidence of hilarious failure.
    What's funny is that I have a friend in real life who would draw exactly the same conclusion as Hanners...

15. - Top - End - #1185

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Really? Could you tell us why they think so?
    Yeah, I'm with Kurald. I'm quite curious as to how one could draw such a conclusion. My familiarity with DD is limited to my occasional glimpses at out-of-context statements on the snark thread, so my point of reference is limited to "Deegan bad." Still, I get it if QC isn't your thing, slice-of-life comedies with robots aren't for everyone, but I have a hard time imaging someone who could conjure for it the sort of utter loathing that DD gets 'round these parts.
    Avatars by Ceika and Ranger Mattos
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    There is a sad and surprising lack of songs about vomiting. This should be corrected.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zolrane View Post
    My familiarity with DD is limited to my occasional glimpses at out-of-context statements on the snark thread, so my point of reference is limited to "Deegan bad." Still, I get it if QC isn't your thing, slice-of-life comedies with robots aren't for everyone, but I have a hard time imaging someone who could conjure for it the sort of utter loathing that DD gets 'round these parts.
    Three major differences off the top of my head are

(1) QC has believable characters, whereas DD just has flat characters and Mary Sues. Just earlier in this thread we have somebody with OCD stating that QC is one of the most realistic depictions of OCD in fiction; that's not an easy feat.

(2) QC can handle morally ambiguous situations, whereas DD has the main characters arbitrarily using mind control without consequence or repercussion (not to mention the whole rape arc in the past).

(3) Jeph makes a living off QC; Mookie can only wish he could do that.

So yeah. Not in the same league.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, what? Mookie does that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Wait, what? Mookie does that.
    Really? Okay, I'm officially surprised now. His Wikipedia article doesn't say so, though.

(just because he sells his books doesn't mean he makes a living out of it)

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? Okay, I'm officially surprised now. His Wikipedia article doesn't say so, though.

(just because he sells his books doesn't mean he makes a living out of it)
    Mookie in 2009: "I’m one of the lucky few webcomickers that does this for a living". I've heard nowhere that this should've changed in the meantime.

And sorry, I'll stop derailing about DD now
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

I hadn't inquired too deeply into the subject, but from what I can glean, they don't care for the characters, and by extension, the drama. That, and they think the characters look too much alike. Such as Not-Faye there on the station, Hanners Dad looking a lot like a gray haired Martin, etc.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

I'd consider reading DD now but I feel I don't want to go through the whole archive nor start somewhere in the middle... meh.

Also, hanners is adorable, if weird.
    But concerning an earlier disussion: She has to wash her hands after touching her best friend. No way she's anywhere close to a physical relationship still. (At least imo)

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

I'd consider reading DD now but I feel I don't want to go through the whole archive nor start somewhere in the middle... meh.
    DD started out kind of funny (a much put upon mystical seer for whom things seldom went well), turned serious, hit its peak in the Storm of Souls storyline and the philosophical, intellectual, magical, and physical war between Dominic and Celesto Morgan, then entered snark territory. I doubt reading the whole archive would be good for you...

Also, hanners is adorable, if weird.
    But concerning an earlier disussion: She has to wash her hands after touching her best friend. No way she's anywhere close to a physical relationship still. (At least imo)
    To be fair, Mar-bear has been shown to have hygiene issues. Although between Hanners and Momo-tan, I think she bathes more often than before. Also, Hanners still thinks Marigold spent six hours in the bathroom recently with a combination space sickness and digestive upset. To someone with her cleanliness compulsion, that would be... distressing.

23. - Top - End - #1193

NecromancerGuy

Three major differences off the top of my head are

(1) QC has believable characters, whereas DD just has flat characters and Mary Sues. Just earlier in this thread we have somebody with OCD stating that QC is one of the most realistic depictions of OCD in fiction; that's not an easy feat.

(2) QC can handle morally ambiguous situations, whereas DD has the main characters arbitrarily using mind control without consequence or repercussion (not to mention the whole rape arc in the past).

So yeah. Not in the same league.
    Jeph's art has evolved and gotten better. Mookie's has actually managed to become worse over time.

If you're wanting to learn more about DD, I recommend reading Curlykitgurl's analysis of the comic.

Still looking for the most complete listing, sorry. This link be fairly hefty.

edit: And here it is, straight from the kitgirl's PM box.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-09 at 01:59 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    DD started out kind of funny (a much put upon mystical seer for whom things seldom went well), turned serious, hit its peak in the Storm of Souls storyline and the philosophical, intellectual, magical, and physical war between Dominic and Celesto Morgan, then entered snark territory. I doubt reading the whole archive would be good for you...
    Now I feel I should say "Challenge accepted!"

To be fair, Mar-bear has been shown to have hygiene issues. Although between Hanners and Momo-tan, I think she bathes more often than before. Also, Hanners still thinks Marigold spent six hours in the bathroom recently with a combination space sickness and digestive upset. To someone with her cleanliness compulsion, that would be... distressing.
    Well, I didn't want to bring up Marigold's hygiene issues... but I guess you got a point about the "misunderstanding".

25. - Top - End - #1195

Archive trawling actually makes the comic feel better because you can just click through the really terrible arcs and not be forced to dwell on them comic by comic like we do. Its really only when you have the full 24 hours per strip to point out the missing limbs, the plot holes, the horrible pacing, the constant character destruction, the character retcons, the elimination of all things grey when it comes to motives and actions, things like that.

Honestly, I preferred it myself when it was new and it was basically a gag a day strip. Lots of puns, alliteration punchlines, and gags. Dont read the thread until you are caught up though, that thread WILL destroy all enjoyment of the comic you may have. Virtually every new poster starts out defending the comic, then within 2 dozen posts, is a snarker on the same level as the rest of us.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #1196

NecromancerGuy

That's why I recommend Curly's analysis as a companion to reading the strip. Read the strip, then refer to the Koorly. And so on.

Must admit though. I'm curious as to what Hanners thinks is a reasonable number of babbykin.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-09 at 11:18 PM.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm curious as to what Hanners thinks is a reasonable number of babbykin.
    I'd say 2. That's enough to replace the parents when they die.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

28. - Top - End - #1198

1.3, probably. Or whatever that number is in Canada.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-03-10 at 10:24 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

In 1961, it was 2.58 children per family, if the Phantom Tollbooth is to be believed.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In 1961, it was 2.58 children per family, if the Phantom Tollbooth is to be believed.
    Wow, the phantom tollbooth. I havent thought of that book in a long time.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."