New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 4: Attack of the 60-Inch AnthroPC

And I believe this is the part where we pray that Station doesn't give into his sociopathic tendencies. Also, panel 2 from yesterday's comic was probably the most touching view of Hannelore that I've seen thus far.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I can imagine how lonely Station might get - sure, he's running a space station full of people, but it's pretty obvious most of them just think of him as Station - useful, and possibly a prankster. Hanners might have been the first human being to actually relate to him as a friend, in addition to being a puzzle to work out. It's only natural to act that way when the only person you've been friends with all your life moves away to another place and you can't visit.
    Can't he?
    He's an AI, they don't exactly have a physical body like humans and are linked to it. I mean he run hundreds of things all at once, while talking to Hanners there, and nothing says he doesn't have another hologram of himself active somewhere because someone requested it.

If he really wanted, I'm sure he could materialise in Hanner's place down on earth with help of illegally requisitioned military spysatellites and such. Or the internet.
    Sure that be creepy too if he does it without her consent, but if she allows it? In essence the appartment would become part of the station for the AI.

But I'm not sure Hanners wants that, but it's a possibility

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Titan in the Playground

Well, to have a hologam you need some kind of projector, an emitter in Trek-nobabble parlance. Onboard the station and in the spaceplane, there is probably projectors all over the place, but in Hanners apartment?
    Likely not so much.
    From a Doylist perspective, this comic didn't get all Near Future science fiction until recently, the only real addition to Standard Reality being AnthroPC.
    Station didn't even exist back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    And I believe this is the part where we pray that Station doesn't give into his sociopathic tendencies. Also, panel 2 from yesterday's comic was probably the most touching view of Hannelore that I've seen thus far.
    I really wouldn't call Station sociopathic...

I don't think he will retaliate in any bad manner. Either he'll just accept it or he will be sad and then except it.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Titan in the Playground

Oh Hanners . . .*small tear*
    Maybe he'll find a way he can visit her on Earth,like say a projector with a modem, and we''ll have a new regular character.
    Or maybe he'll "possess" the robotic boyfriend Hanners dad sent down.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Maybe he'll find a way he can visit her on Earth,like say a projector with a modem, and we''ll have a new regular character.
    Oh please no. Can we lobby Jeph Jacques to get a whole month about Clinton* instead? It'd be less painful.

(* I had to google "questionable content prosthetic hand" to find back this twit's name.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Oh please no. Can we lobby Jeph Jacques to get a whole month about Clinton* instead? It'd be less painful.

(* I had to google "questionable content prosthetic hand" to find back this twit's name.)
    How do we know Station ISN'T Clinton, in a Superman/Clark Kent like secret identity? Have we ever seen them together?

(joke)

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ettin in the Playground

That, Sir/Madam is where I draw the line. Station is not a mind that has been perfectly socially adjusted. Well, neither is any of the other AI characters, or for that matter, ANY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF HUMANITY. The fact that you compare him to the guy who stalked a complete stranger because she was the daughter of a person that he read about in a book/online angers me on far too many levels for me to express. I'd go as far to say that you are being prejudiced against him by the simple fact that he's an AI. I mean, would you have as much trouble with this if he was a human? A physical being who, after seeing one of his oldest and dearest friends, asks her to dinner and tells her how much he misses her and how much it hurts that she has to leave, then begs her to find it in her heart to stay, but makes it clear that the choice is hers?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

What makes it especially ironic is that, as first introduced, Hanners was more than a bit a creepy, stalker, type.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

So...can Station see everything happening on the ship, at any time, with his sensors?

If so, does that mean he watches Hanners (and everyone else for that matter) sleep?

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    That, Sir/Madam is where I draw the line. Station is not a mind that has been perfectly socially adjusted. Well, neither is any of the other AI characters, or for that matter, ANY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF HUMANITY.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this. Station has the excuse he's not perfectly adjusted, but then neither is anyone else including the guy I was comparing him to?

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    If so, does that mean he watches Hanners (and everyone else for that matter) sleep?
    Yep. And shower/bath (are there bath tubs on that space station?). And exercise. And flirt with each other, and have 0-G sex. And eat and drink, and excrete the resulting wastes. It's also probably processing said waste to run medical diagnoses so as to monitor the health of the onboard population (high-tech toilets automatically doing that already exist in the real world).

The idea that all there is a human-like personality that is aware of everything happening, the entire destruction of intimacy and privacy that this means, seriously creep me out.

It already creep me out when it's performed by unthinking software in the real world; it becomes nightmarish when it's performed by self-aware AIs known to have a mindset prone to depravity and perversion (it's well established that QC AIs are voyeuristic pervs with an overdeveloped libido despite their lack of biological drive behind it).

Also, Station is a jerk. I don't like him and I don't want him to stick around once this space storyline is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Orc in the Playground

"You've been watching me?"
    "I watch everything."
    "I'm... not sure how I feel about that."
    "Infrared emissions indicate that you are feeling a mixture of embarrassment, anger, and arousal... ...shifting to anger exclusively."
    Last edited by Kizor; 2012-04-05 at 12:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Wow... why does Clinton get so much hate? Hanners was a stalker as well to begin with... does she get out because she is a cute girl or what?
    /And before someone says 'because she got better'... Clinton never had any chance to get any development because apparently the whole fandom hated him form the start.)

As for station... well, he is just an AI... and there are probably places without cameras/holo emitters.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Y'know, this is the first time I've ever read a comic and really felt the need to run to this thread. Wow. That's really interesting.
    So I'm not the only one. How weird is that?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Station is a jerk. I don't like him and I don't want him to stick around once this space storyline is over.
    Pretty much, yeah. Could have done without ever seeing Station. If it weren't for Lt. Potter, could have done without ever going to Space. She's the only saving grace of this whole trip.

Clinton may be a well-meaning but way creepy guy who is so far over the line he has no idea there's a line, who barely manages just enough dimension to register as one-dimensional, but Station? Doesn't even have the one dimension.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The idea that all there is a human-like personality that is aware of everything happening, the entire destruction of intimacy and privacy that this means, seriously creep me out.
    Yes I admit, it's a bit creepy.

I think it was Andromeda (the TV series) where the ship has a similarly all-knowing-all-seeing AI. You could activate "privacy mode" when in your room, which would prevent the data being interpreted by the AI or accessed by anyone. (it was still recorded and the captain could override privacy, but there were rules for when and why)
    They might have something like that too with Station. When appearing to Lt. Potter he asks first. When appearing to Hanners later, he asks first if she's decent and if he may appear. So it's possible he doesn't have sensors in private quarters unless someone actually invites him in.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Wow... why does Clinton get so much hate? Hanners was a stalker as well to begin with... does she get out because she is a cute girl or what?
    /And before someone says 'because she got better'... Clinton never had any chance to get any development because apparently the whole fandom hated him form the start.)

As for station... well, he is just an AI... and there are probably places without cameras/holo emitters.
    Yeah, not feeling the station hating.

His prank with Lt. Potter was dumb, but he was genuinely sorry, even if his first attempt at an apology was insulting. Likewise, all this talk about privacy...nope, he's not a pervert. He's a space station. The closest we have to perverted misuse is his trawling facebook for embarrasing photos, and as I mentioned, as soon as he realised it wasn't funny, he stopped. I mean, if he has cameras everywhere, he could have shown a lot more embarassing photos of Potter- the shower for instance- and he didn't.

His attempt to get Hanners to stay was genuine, romantic, and when he was told it wasn't going to happen, his reponse was a lot more mature than a lot of other people I've met. Station has problems- he seems to misinterpret people's emotional responses a great deal, which might have something to do with him being a frigging AI- but there's never been any genuine maliciousness or preversion behind it all.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Troll in the Playground

That was nice. And I'm actually kind of pleased Hanners was relaxed enough to try to lean against Station and have physical contact with him as they watched the world turn. That's impressive, for her.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    That was nice. And I'm actually kind of pleased Hanners was relaxed enough to try to lean against Station and have physical contact with him as they watched the world turn. That's impressive, for her.
    Honestly, thats why I like her so much. She has massively improved, but its never been one of those suddenly shes better kind of things. Its so gradual i almost missed it. She went from spending half the strips sleep deprived and drugged out her ass to avoid nervous break downs, to accepting a group hug and more. Lots of baby steps, like when she left her apartment in boy shorts and a tshirt, she was able to wear the emergency skirt without freaking out, (briefly) then later on, she was able to wear the worry hat with barely a problem, until she hurt herself.

And yet, despite her HUGE improvement, you can see she still has a ways to go. She can function in normal society, but she isnt quite ready to handle the reality of things like dating and intimate physical contact past a hug.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post

His prank with Lt. Potter was dumb, but he was genuinely sorry, even if his first attempt at an apology was insulting. Likewise, all this talk about privacy...nope, he's not a pervert. He's a space station. The closest we have to perverted misuse is his trawling facebook for embarrasing photos, and as I mentioned, as soon as he realised it wasn't funny, he stopped. I mean, if he has cameras everywhere, he could have shown a lot more embarassing photos of Potter- the shower for instance- and he didn't.

His attempt to get Hanners to stay was genuine, romantic, and when he was told it wasn't going to happen, his reponse was a lot more mature than a lot of other people I've met. Station has problems- he seems to misinterpret people's emotional responses a great deal, which might have something to do with him being a frigging AI- but there's never been any genuine maliciousness or preversion behind it all.
    +1 to this.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Titan in the Playground

Like Hanners, like us all really, Station is learning what it means to be a person. He may have had a headstart on Hanners, but he's still learning.
    This has been a very sweet little arc, both from a geeky, space nut, perspective, but as much, if not more so, for showing Hanners growth as a person.
    Brave, Jeph, bravo.
    Incidentally, I want this. So. Bad.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Colossus in the Playground

Like Hanners, like us all really, Station is learning what it means to be a person. He may have had a headstart on Hanners, but he's still learning.
    This has been a very sweet little arc, both from a geeky, space nut, perspective, but as much, if not more so, for showing Hanners growth as a person.
    Brave, Jeph, bravo.
    Incidentally, I want this. So. Bad.
    Heh, letting pintsize Dm is just begging for a game where your entire party gets anally violated. Frequently.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post

Hmm, being an AI and his crew being mostly scientists who are portrayed as for more not normal than the average person in the QC-verse. And lets all face it, first romantic interactions never seem that normal.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Heh, letting pintsize Dm is just begging for a game where your entire party gets anally violated. Frequently.
    Hell, letting pintsize Dm is just begging for a game where your players . . .
    You know what, I'm not going to finish that thought.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think you guys give Pintsize enough credit. He might be a fine DM. It's not like he's inappropriate all the time.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I don't think you guys give Pintsize enough credit. He might be a fine DM. It's not like he's inappropriate all the time.
    Notice that both still involve either trolling or violence.
    At best, I imagine having Pintsize DM would be a very trippy experience.
    At worst, a very bad trip.
    Still, I have never so completely wanted a piece of useless merchandise as with that poster.
    At least with a Star Trek uniform I can wear it at a Renaissance Fair.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Troll in the Playground

Notice that both still involve either trolling or violence.
    At best, I imagine having Pintsize DM would be a very trippy experience.
    At worst, a very bad trip.
    Still, I have never so completely wanted a piece of useless merchandise as with that poster.
    At least with a Star Trek uniform I can wear it at a Renaissance Fair.
    Wait, I'm confused now. The DM isn't supposed to violently troll his players?

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    +1 to this.
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So you're saying that Pintsize is DMing FATAL?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    So you're saying that Pintsize is DMing FATAL?
    Something tells me that FATAL would be beneath Pintsize. At the very least, it's not funny enough to spring on an unsuspecting group of players, or rather, is not fun enough to DM to balance out the hilarity of trolling an unsuspecting player group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    For me, it was just that the stuff going on around Hanners when she was first introduced was funny. I didn't find the strips in which Clinton was introduced funny. Nothing more to it than that.