New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Anyone ever tried making rules for a Ghostbusters game?

Hey all, I've been working on a little project for a couple days. I've been on a serious Ghostbusters kick and I'm trying to make some rules for a game based on it.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever tried it or worked on something similar and how they went about doing it. I tried a search here but didn't see anything.

I'll toss my ideas together and share em' here once I'm done, but I'll go ahead and say that I'm having a blast so far and that I'm already on my 17th typed page of rules....what an endeavor this has been so far.

That said, I'm actually trying to keep it simple...
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Anyone ever tried making rules for a Ghostbusters game?

There is "Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call" by By Michael Tresca for D&D 3.X.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is a published Ghostbusters RPG by West End Games. It was actually pretty influential in its day, and many of the mechanics went on to be used in the West End Star Wars game.

AFAIK, its available for free online at some Ghostbusters fan site.

It's a fairly light narrative game, with four stats and something called Brownie Points, which are sort of like a combination of Action Points, XP, and Hit points all rolled into one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I've read most of it. I was not wild about what I saw, it didn't really fit the feel for what I wanted even though it seemed good for what it was.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.