New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

There will be a pre-download started days/weeks before, which will probably get 3/4's of the game downloaded. However, the night of the release, bandwidth is going to be jammed for a while I'm sure, so that last 25% might be slow.

Thanks for the offer of name reserves there Bodez.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    There will be a pre-download started days/weeks before, which will probably get 3/4's of the game downloaded. However, the night of the release, bandwidth is going to be jammed for a while I'm sure, so that last 25% might be slow.
    Are you sure about that download part? Because I've read on Battle.net on their preorder page that they are going to release full game, but encrypted, and they will send unlock keys (or .exe files) on midnight. At least that's what I got from their website.

"*When you pre-purchase Diablo III, you will be able to download an encrypted version of the game that will be unlocked upon release on May 15."
    LINK
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

No need to worry about reserving names. You can have any number of characters with the same name, even on the same account. For example, I have two characters named "Swift" on the D3 beta right now.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    No need to worry about reserving names. You can have any number of characters with the same name, even on the same account. For example, I have two characters named "Swift" on the D3 beta right now.
    Oh! Finally someone figured out that it really doesn't matter too much, you can just follow characters by ID, or some other unique variable, and by char name.
    ---

5. - Top - End - #515

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Yay! Spelunky!

Has to be said, games like Spelunky and Realm of the Mad God have given me a new appreciation for "Hardcore" mode games. It's hard to say why but I think it just tickles something in my gamer genetics from the early 8-bit games, where death *really* meant death. No saves, no whining about bugs - you died because *YOU* screwed up.
    Indeed! Although, "Realm of the Mad God" was tedious for me. I (like many) play for the solo experience, but you really can't level to 20 solo in Realm, in my experience. One bad fight, and you're completely blown away. This made the "hardcore" nature much less appealing, and mostly just an exercise in frustration.

Spelunky is brilliant though.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #516

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Are you sure about that download part? Because I've read on Battle.net on their preorder page that they are going to release full game, but encrypted, and they will send unlock keys (or .exe files) on midnight. At least that's what I got from their website.

"*When you pre-purchase Diablo III, you will be able to download an encrypted version of the game that will be unlocked upon release on May 15."
    LINK
    Yes, that is exactly how they've done other pre-downloads for released before. The unlock portion is usually pretty sizeable. Why? They leave out big chunks of code, the cinematics, etc, to prevent data miners from releasing it all on youtube before the game is even out.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, that is exactly how they've done other pre-downloads for released before. The unlock portion is usually pretty sizeable. Why? They leave out big chunks of code, the cinematics, etc, to prevent data miners from releasing it all on youtube before the game is even out.
    That...doesn't sound like something that is true. You're downloading the encryption code, which takes all of 64 bytes or whatever, and then you just have to de-crypt your game. You don't have to download any of the game itself, unless you didn't finish it or something.

The only downloading you will have to do on release day is a small patch with a few bug fixes for stuff they missed before shipping.

8. - Top - End - #518

I'm speaking from experience with every other digital download that Blizzard has done so far. From WoW expansions to Starcraft 2. Why would this be any different?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Orc in the Playground

Well I had the same deal with WoW and SC, but from that text I linked about Diablo 3, I figured they are going to release the full game, and then just give you the key. That's why I was asking can you confirm that about them giving only part of the game. Oh well, I think we would see how it goes soon enough.
    ---

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm speaking from experience with every other digital download that Blizzard has done so far. From WoW expansions to Starcraft 2. Why would this be any different?
    Because that's not how they did it for Starcraft 2, they did the encryption thing, I remember since I had to wait for like an hour for it to finish decrypting.

The way you're talking about sounds like what they do for WoW patches, where the game pre-downloads stuff in the background before the patch comes out. I don't know how they handle expansions, but they definitely haven't done any full games like that.

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Because that's not how they did it for Starcraft 2, they did the encryption thing, I remember since I had to wait for like an hour for it to finish decrypting.
    And what do you think it was doing in that hour?

Though I re-read the claims on the pre-download page. Perhaps I am mistaken. On the other hand, if it takes an hour to decrypt, then I'll stick with the physical media.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

And what do you think it was doing in that hour?

Though I re-read the claims on the pre-download page. Perhaps I am mistaken. On the other hand, if it takes an hour to decrypt, then I'll stick with the physical media.
    An hour may be a bit of an exxageration, but it takes a similar amount of time to simply installing it from the disc. So, if you're going to have a physical copy anyways (ie: You got the collector's edition), then yeah, there's not too much point in pre-installing.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Barbarian in the Playground

What are the actual system requirements for this game? Battle.net just lists recommended parts like NVIDIA® GeForce® 260 or ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better. I tried playing the open beta with everything except resolution turned all the way down and the game plays like I'm running in mud.

My system:
    Windows 7
    AMD Phenom II 2X 511 Processor ~3.4GHz
    5120MB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 4200

I am considering upgrading my graphics card, but I before I go spending money on something I don't really need, I want to make sure this game is running slow because of my system and not something stupid like lag caused by blizzard.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    I am considering upgrading my graphics card, but I before I go spending money on something I don't really need, I want to make sure this game is running slow because of my system and not something stupid like lag caused by blizzard.
    Well, you *are* trying during a stress-test period for a highly-anticipated major release, so I can't completely rule out that the game is just overloaded right now.. but I'm betting it's your graphics. 4200 is the part number of a motherboard-integrated graphics system, and while it's better than its Intel counterpart there aren't all that many big-name releases that can really run on those things.

15. - Top - End - #525

I want to make sure this game is running slow because of my system and not something stupid like lag caused by blizzard.
    Beta Lag is not Live Lag.

16. - Top - End - #526

I think it's the graphics card, I turned the resolution down and it ran faster. I just can't play right now because the servers are so full.

Edit: What would guys recommend for a graphics card in the < $200 range?
    Last edited by leafman; 2012-04-21 at 07:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pretty laggy out there at the moment. The game seems enjoyable though, and reminded me a lot of the earlier Diablo games. The game play itself though seems more reminiscent of Torchlight. I wonder if the D3 team cribbed anything from them?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So how many times would I have to kill the Skeleton King to max out my level?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

I think it's the graphics card, I turned the resolution down and it ran faster. I just can't play right now because the servers are so full.

Edit: What would guys recommend for a graphics card in the < $200 range?
    I'd have to get your full system specs for a better recommendation, but what you've posted sounds a lot like a more entry-level OEM system. That means you likely have both space and power supply limitations, which means you're either going to need to do two upgrades (PSU and video card), which will eat between a quarter to half of that budget in getting a better PSU, or you're looking at the best performance you can get in a good efficiency card.

Assuming you go with the efficiency route- something you can snap in and go without doing the more involved work in doing a power-supply upgrade- take a look at the Radeon HD 7750s. There are more powerful cards at that price point, but none that will give you as much performance for so little power and case-space used.

20. - Top - End - #530

Alright, being a lanky witch doctor who throws jars of spiders at people has won me over. Doing that for a few hours is totally worth $60.00 and no one can tell me otherwise.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I'd have to get your full system specs for a better recommendation, but what you've posted sounds a lot like a more entry-level OEM system. That means you likely have both space and power supply limitations, which means you're either going to need to do two upgrades (PSU and video card), which will eat between a quarter to half of that budget in getting a better PSU, or you're looking at the best performance you can get in a good efficiency card.

Assuming you go with the efficiency route- something you can snap in and go without doing the more involved work in doing a power-supply upgrade- take a look at the Radeon HD 7750s. There are more powerful cards at that price point, but none that will give you as much performance for so little power and case-space used.
    I only have a 250W PSU I bought a Radeon HD 6770 (should do the job) and a Corsair 500W supply, still under budget, just have to wait for them to arrive.

In other news, after 4 or 5 attempts I beat Leoric with a level 9 dual-wield Barbarian, really makes me want to bust out D1 to whip him AND wear his crown as my prize. Also who's this Aiden kid they keep saying vanquished him? Is that supposed to be the warrior from D1 that almost beat Diablo?

22. - Top - End - #532
    Spamalot in the Playground

Got the beta. Runs great on my laptop, though I can't tell if it's supposed to be that foggy...

Quick question - how much freedom are you given in remapping the keys? I'd love for my wizard to have Frost Ray and Arcane Orb on separate mouse buttons, but they're both "secondary skills." Despite a BEAMLAZOR! being a perfect fit for a primary, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    It's pretty laggy out there at the moment. The game seems enjoyable though, and reminded me a lot of the earlier Diablo games. The game play itself though seems more reminiscent of Torchlight. I wonder if the D3 team cribbed anything from them?
    Please tell me you're kidding...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, I always thought I was a Diablo fanatic, but my best friend not only has the CE pre-ordered, he is always going to buy it off of steam the moment it's released, because he won't be able to pick up his CE for a few days after it's release. I'm kinda sad, I wish I had the money to buy the CE as well, but such is life I guess ^^ At least I'll be able to pick up my copy the moment the store opens(which I will be there the moment the store opens. I'm hoping they do a midnight release though).

Any news on any possible first-day patches?

24. - Top - End - #534

*checks CE*

The one thing I'd maybe be interested in would be the angel wings, and actually there's no paladin in this one so I won't even be too upset about that.

Any help for my keybinding question? Not much time left in the beta...
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Also who's this Aiden kid they keep saying vanquished him? Is that supposed to be the warrior from D1 that almost beat Diablo?
    Prince Aidan was Leoric's oldest son, who defeated Diablo in D1, then became him for D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Please tell me you're kidding...
    Not really. And yes, I'm aware that Torchlight was made by the Diablo team. But the basic control set up and the gameplay I encountered reminded me much more of Torchlight than the earlier Diablo games (Except all the running away. That's very much D1)
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-04-23 at 05:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Double Post
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-04-23 at 05:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #537

Prince Aidan was Leoric's oldest son, who defeated Diablo in D1, then became him for D2.
    What the... ? Back in Diablo 1 and 2, Leoric's son was the host for the first (D1) incarnation of Diablo, and warrior of D1 was just a generic hero. Looks like Blizz messed with lore again
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malek View Post
    What the... ? Back in Diablo 1 and 2, Leoric's son was the host for the first (D1) incarnation of Diablo, and warrior of D1 was just a generic hero. Looks like Blizz messed with lore again
    It was Prince Albrecht who was possessed in D1. The Warrier being his older brother was never mentioned, but doesn't actually contradict anything.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

29. - Top - End - #539

It does actually. According to D1 manual Albrecht was Leoric's only son
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

30. - Top - End - #540

Not really. And yes, I'm aware that Torchlight was made by the Diablo team. But the basic control set up and the gameplay I encountered reminded me much more of Torchlight than the earlier Diablo games (Except all the running away. That's very much D1)
    Given that Torchlight ripped off borrowed from Diablo itself, any leveraging Diablo would have done would be... from itself.

The one clear innovation I can think of by Torchlight was the pet that vendors your loot for you.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy