Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 630 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Okay, first TV trailer I saw was yesterday. Release date May 15(!!!!) I had no idea it was that close???

    Well I know what I will be buying for my next salary.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Starwulf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Wow, So I finally decided to break my "No D3 info" black-out, just because I"m going nuts waiting for next week to be here already. A few things really stood out from what I've read so far on the forums(btw, what's up with not being able to post? Do you have to be a beta tester to be able to post on the D3 general forums?).

    #1: Gems! WOW! Fourteen Tiers of Gems, and Perfect is only #5(So I"m guessing the 4 before that are Chipped, Flawed, Normal, Flawless). It's going to take almost 20,000 Perfect gems just to make a "Radiant Star" gem, and from what I've read only up to Perfect Gems can be found. That's pretty damn awesome! Even better is you can use them in the meantime, as they will be removable which is great news.

    #2: Enrage Timers! Sounds pretty interesting, will definitely make certain bosses have a bit more strategy then "stand as far back and peck away with weak skill while not getting hit", which I'm certainly glad to hear.

    #3: RMHA and Mobile Phones. What in the world? This won't be affecting me, but even still, I'm not sure I understand the point of making it so you can't cash out on the RMHA without a cell phone that has a specific service provider that Blizzard deems acceptable. I'm surprised there isn't more of an uproar over that then what I've seen.

    #4:(this one not game related) Wow, there sure are a lot of trolls over there on the D3 general forums >< And even more insufferable HardCore only elitists. LOL "If you're not playing HC, you're not playing right" & "You shouldn't even buy the game if you're only going to play softcore" is just a few of many retarded quotes I've come across.

    #5: Inferno! Man, that difficulty is sounding better and better the more I read about it. It's going to be monstrously difficult, and from what I"ve read, several of the Devs have stated several times that even Hardcore players will die at least 3-5 times in Inferno before they figure out how to not die. I'm stoked for a real challenge, and not just being able to constantly pop in and out of games running the same set of creatures over and over to Magic Find, which leads me to my next point:

    #6: Magic Finding and equipment: From what I've read, just about anything can be found in Inferno, but obviously the farther in you go, the higher chances you have of finding top notch equipment. It's going to be a conscious decision of whether or not you want to farm faster in Hell Difficulty, or whether you'd rather go slower in Inferno and hope for better drops over-all.

    Over-all, some interesting things I've read over there. Kinda wish I hadn't now, because it's making the wait even harder to deal with now.

    edit: Oh, and I have a question for those who have played the beta. How do you join games that your friends are in? I want to play strictly with my buddy when the game releases, but if you're matched to games that match what quest you on, what guarantee do you have of getting into the game your friend is in? Or will you be able to make private games that friends can join? How will that work?
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-05-08 at 05:51 PM.
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AgentPaper's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    #1: Gems! WOW! Fourteen Tiers of Gems, and Perfect is only #5(So I"m guessing the 4 before that are Chipped, Flawed, Normal, Flawless). It's going to take almost 20,000 Perfect gems just to make a "Radiant Star" gem, and from what I've read only up to Perfect Gems can be found. That's pretty damn awesome! Even better is you can use them in the meantime, as they will be removable which is great news.
    Actually, they drop up to tier 8, so you don't need quite that many!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    edit: Oh, and I have a question for those who have played the beta. How do you join games that your friends are in? I want to play strictly with my buddy when the game releases, but if you're matched to games that match what quest you on, what guarantee do you have of getting into the game your friend is in? Or will you be able to make private games that friends can join? How will that work?
    The answer is very easily. If you have someone on your friends list, and they're in a game, you can simply join their game directly without any fuss. Doesn't matter what level they're at or what quest or anything at all, if they're on your list you can join. Only exception is if they specifically set the game to be invite-only. (There's three settings: Invite-only, friends-only, and open to all)
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

  4. - Top - End - #604
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    polity4life's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Where wheels have wings

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    #4:(this one not game related) Wow, there sure are a lot of trolls over there on the D3 general forums >< And even more insufferable HardCore only elitists. LOL "If you're not playing HC, you're not playing right" & "You shouldn't even buy the game if you're only going to play softcore" is just a few of many retarded quotes I've come across.
    Aren't ep33ns the cutest things ever? It's funny how some people define themselves with video game performance.

    Anyway, thanks for all that info Starwulf. I didn't know about almost all of the points you made save for the parent-basement dweller braggadocio.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

    The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

  5. - Top - End - #605
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    #3: RMHA and Mobile Phones. What in the world? This won't be affecting me, but even still, I'm not sure I understand the point of making it so you can't cash out on the RMHA without a cell phone that has a specific service provider that Blizzard deems acceptable. I'm surprised there isn't more of an uproar over that then what I've seen.
    There's been a fairly big uproar on the B.net forums but to me its just Blizzard protecting themselves. People get very heated where real money is concerned so Blizzard wants to ensure that people can be identified in cases of scams and the like. Plus less people taking money out of the system (via Paypal) is more money Blizzard gets to keep, so really its win-win for them.

  6. - Top - End - #606
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    edit: Oh, and I have a question for those who have played the beta. How do you join games that your friends are in? I want to play strictly with my buddy when the game releases, but if you're matched to games that match what quest you on, what guarantee do you have of getting into the game your friend is in? Or will you be able to make private games that friends can join? How will that work?
    Or you join his game directly. Click your friend's name from the social tab, depending on his game settings you can join by pressing join, or you have to whisper him and he'll have to invite you. If he's in a public game, you just click his name, it will tell you if there is room for you to join, and you click join. It's all very seamless.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"

  7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Or you join his game directly. Click your friend's name from the social tab, depending on his game settings you can join by pressing join, or you have to whisper him and he'll have to invite you. If he's in a public game, you just click his name, it will tell you if there is room for you to join, and you click join. It's all very seamless.
    Did we ever conclude if European players can join in US games etc?
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  8. - Top - End - #608
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Yes, European Players can play with US; Look up Global Play, however the one restriction is on the RMAH. Oh, and of course the usual issues associated with that related to more lag, but you're probably willing to deal with that.

  9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Yes, European Players can play with US; Look up Global Play, however the one restriction is on the RMAH. Oh, and of course the usual issues associated with that related to more lag, but you're probably willing to deal with that.
    As long as I can join some GiTP games
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  10. - Top - End - #610
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    #2: Enrage Timers! Sounds pretty interesting, will definitely make certain bosses have a bit more strategy then "stand as far back and peck away with weak skill while not getting hit", which I'm certainly glad to hear.
    This is the only 'feature' I feel isn't very well designed. Enrage timers make sense for the MMO class of games, because there's a dedicated healer who's doing nothing but filling your health bar, and they want to make sure you're not just healing your way out of every fight. But healing is a LOT more scarce in D3, and enrage timers' only effect is to penalize tankier builds, as if killing stuff slower wasn't already a penalty.

    As far as the 'stand off a and peck' logic, I don't see that as being feasible. Taking the Skeleton King as an example: You're trapped in a room with him, he's highly mobile and hits hard. Yes, you can certainly shoot and scoot, and for some classes that's your ideal playstyle, but there's nowhere you can be where you're totally out of danger until he's dead.

  11. - Top - End - #611
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    This is the only 'feature' I feel isn't very well designed. Enrage timers make sense for the MMO class of games, because there's a dedicated healer who's doing nothing but filling your health bar, and they want to make sure you're not just healing your way out of every fight. But healing is a LOT more scarce in D3, and enrage timers' only effect is to penalize tankier builds, as if killing stuff slower wasn't already a penalty.

    As far as the 'stand off a and peck' logic, I don't see that as being feasible. Taking the Skeleton King as an example: You're trapped in a room with him, he's highly mobile and hits hard. Yes, you can certainly shoot and scoot, and for some classes that's your ideal playstyle, but there's nowhere you can be where you're totally out of danger until he's dead.
    Villains have countdowns for their doomsday devices, bosses in games work much the same.

    As for enrage timers, lets remember back to Diablo 2 for a moment.
    I recall being able to Town Portal away from bosses rather frequently. Or just run far enough away that they wouldn't bother me. Saunter my way back, plug away at them again, run away when needed. I personally witnessed a friend spend a solid half hour trying to solo kill Hell Baal.

    Now sure, some easier fixes would work fine. The boss regens, you can't portal from the boss room, make boss rooms smaller.

    I much prefer soft-enrage mechanics, where the boss gets harder and harder over time due to some mechanic (which may or may not be avoidable/managable but usually is in some fashion) and eventually just hits a point where you MIGHT be able to survive if you're clever about using defensive abilities/healing abilities/utility abilities, but survival chances are pretty bleak. You really feel heroic when you say that you managed to survive that 7th wave of Uberattack, or that you stacked a debuff into the stratosphere and still survived somehow.

    And odds are we will see soft-enrage mechanics as well, not simply just hard enrage modes. Hard enrage is where, at a predetermined point in time or at a predetermined amount of health, the boss either just explodes and kills you, or Enrages and gets uberbuffed and kicks your face in.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"

  12. - Top - End - #612
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    And odds are we will see soft-enrage mechanics as well, not simply just hard enrage modes. Hard enrage is where, at a predetermined point in time or at a predetermined amount of health, the boss either just explodes and kills you, or Enrages and gets uberbuffed and kicks your face in.
    I'm pretty sure Blizzard said all the enrages are soft enrages not hard enrages. The example they gave was the Skeleton King would start spawning skeletons at a much faster rate.

    And as a ranged class its almost trivially easy to avoid the skeleton king except for his teleport next to you and smack you maneuver. The room is HUGE. The idea is not to let someone play super safe dodge everything and kill the skeleton king extremely slowly (i.e., no risk). Apparently the mechanic is going to apply to some elites/champions too though I can't find the post that said that.

  13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Okay, I have watched all the demo let's plays and I must say still my primare choice is female witchdoctor, close followed by female monk

    (yes, I always play female characters if I can, as you all know already).
    I sorta wished they would have dared to make the female monk bald though.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  14. - Top - End - #614
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Villains have countdowns for their doomsday devices, bosses in games work much the same.


    As for enrage timers, lets remember back to Diablo 2 for a moment.
    I recall being able to Town Portal away from bosses rather frequently. Or just run far enough away that they wouldn't bother me. Saunter my way back, plug away at them again, run away when needed. I personally witnessed a friend spend a solid half hour trying to solo kill Hell Baal.
    Well, the long cast time on town portal closes the TP gambits, so that's a non-starter. As for trying to tickle Hell Baal to death, decent AI pathing and map design can easily fix that.

    Now sure, some easier fixes would work fine. The boss regens, you can't portal from the boss room, make boss rooms smaller.
    You don't even have to make the room smaller if you just make the boss more mobile. Give them some of the same leap/teleport mechanics the players have to keep them from being trapped.

  15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Starwulf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    Aren't ep33ns the cutest things ever? It's funny how some people define themselves with video game performance.

    Anyway, thanks for all that info Starwulf. I didn't know about almost all of the points you made save for the parent-basement dweller braggadocio.
    No problem, I've been reading the D3 General forums for the last two days and I am continuously finding new things that I had no idea about. Btw, have you watched the Wrath video yet? It's pretty interesting, and is in anime form. I'm still trying to figure out if it's BEFORE all of the stuff we've witnessed over the last few games, or if it's after the events of D2.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    There's been a fairly big uproar on the B.net forums but to me its just Blizzard protecting themselves. People get very heated where real money is concerned so Blizzard wants to ensure that people can be identified in cases of scams and the like. Plus less people taking money out of the system (via Paypal) is more money Blizzard gets to keep, so really its win-win for them.
    I'm just surprised I've never heard about it until now, I would have figured this would have been major news on most forums I visit that have a D3 thread. You are right though, it's all about protecting Blizzard, but I'll admit it's also about protecting the consumer, since(as someone pointed out), if your cell-phone isn't tied to it, and someone steals all your cash out of your D3 account, you wouldn't know until the next time you log in, but if it's tied to your cell-phone, the moment it starts happening, you'll know, which makes it easier to perhaps stop it, and gives you more information to give Blizzard when you file a complaint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Or you join his game directly. Click your friend's name from the social tab, depending on his game settings you can join by pressing join, or you have to whisper him and he'll have to invite you. If he's in a public game, you just click his name, it will tell you if there is room for you to join, and you click join. It's all very seamless.
    That's very good to hear :) I was wondering how that was going to work, glad it's going to be fairly easy after-all.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Well, the long cast time on town portal closes the TP gambits, so that's a non-starter. As for trying to tickle Hell Baal to death, decent AI pathing and map design can easily fix that.



    You don't even have to make the room smaller if you just make the boss more mobile. Give them some of the same leap/teleport mechanics the players have to keep them from being trapped.
    Both of those are good points, but I think I still like the idea of the soft-enrage timers, where the boss uses his special abilities more often, maybe regens health a bit(or a bit faster), and hits harder. It definitely makes for having to use more strategy over-all in the fights.

    Really can't wait to get in-game and start playing, going to be awesome!
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  16. - Top - End - #616
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Btw, have you watched the Wrath video yet? It's pretty interesting, and is in anime form. I'm still trying to figure out if it's BEFORE all of the stuff we've witnessed over the last few games, or if it's after the events of D2.
    Prior. It's where Tyrial first suggests the use of the soulstones and imprisonment of the evils, though it's not directly stated as such in the film.


    That's very good to hear :) I was wondering how that was going to work, glad it's going to be fairly easy after-all.
    Crazy easy. Like, 3 clicks easy.


    Both of those are good points, but I think I still like the idea of the soft-enrage timers, where the boss uses his special abilities more often, maybe regens health a bit(or a bit faster), and hits harder. It definitely makes for having to use more strategy over-all in the fights.
    Indeed. It does mean you want to frontload as much damage as possible in the early moments of the fight when you can better focus on damage rather than survival, as later on in the fight you will probably be focusing more on survival than your damage output. Overall it means you aren't doing the same thing all the time on every fight, to the point where you can nearly set your watch to when boss X will cast Y and then Z.

    In that other MMO, Soft Enrage mechanics are my personal favorites, and I'm always curious how far and how hard one can push them before your downfall is completely and utterly assured. It tends to lead to some really interesting experimentation, like how far one could push stacking debuff X on boss Y before they would just utterly murder you.

    Lastly, they can sometimes be a mark of progess as well. Lets say you're killing a boss for the second time. Last time you killed him, he managed to cast off 7 Ubernova's, and this time, he only got 6 before you offed him. Hey look, you did it faster and better, huzzah, improvement.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"

  17. - Top - End - #617
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Okay, first TV trailer I saw was yesterday. Release date May 15(!!!!) I had no idea it was that close???
    yeah there's even a walkthrough for it already lol

  18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by grimrocker View Post
    yeah there's even a walkthrough for it already lol
    Walkthrough for the entire game? Or just the demo part? The demo walkthrough has been out since before the game was pushed to 2012.

    Edit: Seriously though; last time I checked Blizzard said "summer 2012" which in my experience means August. Or September. or Christmas.

    Oh well, NOT complaining!
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-05-10 at 06:05 AM.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  19. - Top - End - #619
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Yeah, it's just the Demo, and honestly, you don't need a walk-through for any Diablo game, just kill monsters until you're alone on the screen, the move forward down the path.

  20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Blizzard seems to have dropped the ball on pricing. If I pre-book it from their own site the price is almost a 125% of what I pay in stores. And that is in Sweden, which is quite expensive to shop in.

    In other words, definitely not a pre-order for me.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  21. - Top - End - #621
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    The developers don't make the pricing decisions, that's all up to the marketing droids. My advice is to to do what I did: Pre-order through Amazon, get release day delivery.

  22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    The developers don't make the pricing decisions, that's all up to the marketing droids. My advice is to to do what I did: Pre-order through Amazon, get release day delivery.
    Nah, I have decided to be a good boy and not pick it up until I get my salary: on the 25th. That should make me dodge the predicted server overload hoopla, too.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  23. - Top - End - #623
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    polity4life's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Where wheels have wings

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    I finally found my damn authenticator and was able to log in. My Battle.net name is polity4life#1340.

    Pre-ordering this madness right now!
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

    The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

  24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Blizzard seems to have dropped the ball on pricing. If I pre-book it from their own site the price is almost a 125% of what I pay in stores. And that is in Sweden, which is quite expensive to shop in.

    In other words, definitely not a pre-order for me.
    I ordered it from Amazon uk yonks and yonks ago. Mainly because when I saw it open for pre-order there I knew damned well it wasn't going to actually come out at £22 quid, but Amazon have this policy that if something's on pre-order, you get it at the lowest price quoted.

    I've more or less stopped pre-ordering stuff now (ME 3 was about the last), but given that I was fairly sure I'd got to try D3 anyway (our entire RPG group extensively played D2), I thought, for saving myself a tenner, what the hell... (Also Blizzard has earned themselves the sort of leeway reserved for Bioware prior DA2/ME2 had with me, with Starcraft II being so good. For the moment.)

  25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I ordered it from Amazon uk yonks and yonks ago. Mainly because when I saw it open for pre-order there I knew damned well it wasn't going to actually come out at £22 quid, but Amazon have this policy that if something's on pre-order, you get it at the lowest price quoted.

    I've more or less stopped pre-ordering stuff now (ME 3 was about the last), but given that I was fairly sure I'd got to try D3 anyway (our entire RPG group extensively played D2), I thought, for saving myself a tenner, what the hell... (Also Blizzard has earned themselves the sort of leeway reserved for Bioware prior DA2/ME2 had with me, with Starcraft II being so good. For the moment.)
    I don't mind pre-ordering if I actually get something for it. In this case, unlike in Bioware's games, the only two things I get are angel wings, a special banner and the ability to tint my armor? (all totally pointless; compare to the regular digital copy of ME3 that in Europe had one armor and three weapons included) And have to pay Battle Net price for the game? No thank you. I will pick it up in a store for a hundred kronor less on May 25th when my salary comes, thank you very much.

    Edit: about difficulty levels: With the new skill system this might be more fun than in D1 and D2. I am one of those that never played past "Normal" with any character in D2; the reason was twofold:

    1. Same character, stuck in one build... Doing it all over again = Boring.

    2. It smashed my Suspension of Disbelief: My barb is dressed up in god know what heavy gear, and I find a simple leather armor that has more protection than my super cool looking armor?

    At least with the new system I can use the same character, but reconfigure the skills.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-05-11 at 06:40 AM.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

  26. - Top - End - #626
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I don't mind pre-ordering if I actually get something for it. In this case, unlike in Bioware's games, the only two things I get are angel wings, a special banner and the ability to tint my armor? (all totally pointless; compare to the regular digital copy of ME3 that in Europe had one armor and three weapons included) And have to pay Battle Net price for the game? No thank you. I will pick it up in a store for a hundred kronor less on May 25th when my salary comes, thank you very much.
    Not sure if its true of the Swedish CE, but the CE should also include a 208 page art book, the sound track for the game, behind the scenes stuff, and the Soulstone USB thumbdrive.

  27. - Top - End - #627
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where ever trouble brews
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Edit: about difficulty levels: With the new skill system this might be more fun than in D1 and D2. I am one of those that never played past "Normal" with any character in D2; the reason was twofold:
    1. Same character, stuck in one build... Doing it all over again = Boring.
    2. It smashed my Suspension of Disbelief: My barb is dressed up in god know what heavy gear, and I find a simple leather armor that has more protection than my super cool looking armor?

    At least with the new system I can use the same character, but reconfigure the skills.
    Also, higher difficulties, the enemies start getting whole new abilities, not just the same ones you see in lower difficulties.
    It was great getting cursed, aura'd, lightning enchanted, all stacked on something back in D2, but you never really saw anything new past normal mode. The fact that bosses will most likely also bust out new stuff every difficulty? Awesome. New fresh stuff, all the time. Huzzah!

    Don't get me wrong, I love challenge, but having some new Xfactor to deal with along with them hitting harder/faster and being tougher? That gets interesting in a hurry.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"

  28. - Top - End - #628
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2010

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Also, higher difficulties, the enemies start getting whole new abilities, not just the same ones you see in lower difficulties.
    It was great getting cursed, aura'd, lightning enchanted, all stacked on something back in D2, but you never really saw anything new past normal mode. The fact that bosses will most likely also bust out new stuff every difficulty? Awesome. New fresh stuff, all the time. Huzzah!

    Don't get me wrong, I love challenge, but having some new Xfactor to deal with along with them hitting harder/faster and being tougher? That gets interesting in a hurry.
    Yeah it'll hopefully be less cheap than some of the monsters in D2 as well. Oh Strong, Multishot, Lightning Enhanced and Fanaticism aura? Hell insta gib for pretty much any melee class.

  29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Aotrs Commander's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    Yeah it'll hopefully be less cheap than some of the monsters in D2 as well. Oh Strong, Multishot, Lightning Enhanced and Fanaticism aura? Hell insta gib for pretty much any melee class.
    Oh ye gods, I hated Lightning Enhanced... And I only dipped my toe into Nightmare.

    (Both of the characters I actually finished the game with - Necromancer and Paladin - ended up not well specced for dealing with Nightmare. The former, I fell into the trap of sinking lots of points into Bone Spirit before I realised it was nowhere near as good as Bone Spear (as I only played single-player mode), and it cost so much mana I was forever running out... The latter was a thorns specialist whose modus operandi was "get hit by enemies who then die" which isn't a very viable tactic at the higher difficutly levels.)

    While remenscing with one of my mates, he recalled that his paladin found the best way of dealing with them was with a charge move that had knockback, and if you had enough room he found the follow-up kept him clear of the lightning, as well as stun-locking the enemy.

  30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Avilan the Grey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Enköping, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Diablo III: Not Just a Vitality Race!

    Quote Originally Posted by Suichimo View Post
    Not sure if its true of the Swedish CE, but the CE should also include a 208 page art book, the sound track for the game, behind the scenes stuff, and the Soulstone USB thumbdrive.
    I am not talking about the CE, but the regular with only the pre-order bonus. No amount of stuff makes a game worth $100 btw.
    "If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake." - Thane
    "HERP, DERP! NINJAAAAAAA!!!!!" - Kai Leng

    Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •