Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Seraphim Immortal Dynasty: A Sims 3 Story LP

Wooh. Triple-post!

Chapter 34: Landslide
    Spoiler
    Show
    I sigh and watch myself in the mirror. I primp my hair. Like I said, not bad. But I got it from my mom, those real firm lines around my mouth.
    More than that, it's a reminder that while my time is infinite, the rest of reality is not. Time is moving, and I cannot catch up to it -- I'm an arrow trying to strike the running target, and in doing so, the happiness of myself and Reed and Vanthe' reduces: 1/2. 1/4. 1/8. 1/16. 1/32. Fractionally, fractionally smaller, because time continues moving.
    "Stop." A voice behind me says. I don't turn so I don't see, and the voice keeps going. I know it, but he said stop so I'm stopping. I'm not even recognizing him, that's how much I'm stopping.
    "I'm not as good at speeches as you... But I think I can manage this. When I look at you I see stars -- the most beautiful things in the world...And even if the stars change, we can't say when it was from here; the light takes so long to reach that something could have been changed for a long time...And still be beautiful. You're still the most beautiful thing in the world. You can not be stopped now, Honey."
    I turn and see Reed there.

"Oh, boy. Rin died."
    What?
    "The bird died? Oh, Mom cannot know. Mom totally cannot know."
    She'll be crushed!

"I need to build an exact replica of the bird and put it back on before she goes to chat with it. Uriel, you handle the body."
    "...I can't. I'd end up moving the whole bird tree."
    "Shhhh! Let Aster handle this!"

I'm not sure why I was expecting that to work. I mean, there's no good way to get a giraffe down here, and without that extending neck, nothing will push the mechanical voice button to slide it into the sculpted parrot, and the whole Rube-Goldberg device is useless!

I'd ask the kids for help, but they're doing homework.

"This is so dull. Incredibly dull. Mind sappingly dull," Orchid declares.
    "It's not that bad..." Linden mutters into his essay.
    "'What do you want to be when you grow up?' what sort of question is that?"
    "Well, I think for people who don't know what I want, I guess it's a good one."
    "Right. For the spineless and the uninvolved! For people who don't feel like doing anything, and would rather think about what they might do. People who have no certainty, basically."
    "...So you know? Right?"
    "Ha-ha! Of course! I'm gonna be... A protagonist!"
    "I think that's only in stories, though."
    "Then I'll do something so amazing they'll write stories about me! That's what I was planning on doing anyway. What's life without adventure?"
    "...I don't know."
    He mutters, watching my daughter smile. She pauses in the midst of her speeches.
    "...Do you know? If you don't, I bet you and I can look for something together. You can even be my sidekick!"
    "I'd like that. See, this isn't dull at all."
    "I guess not. Wonderful, sidekick! Ha-ha!"

Of course, because of that, Mom's left cleaning the bird tree after we move Rin. Is she sad?

I think so, but it's not as bad as I thought. She only sighs very sadly, and gets to work.
    "We can always get another bird."
    "Yes, I know. I'll wait for a while, though. I have other things to do... Worry not for me, Uriel."
    She laughs.
    "...Hey, Grandma?" Orchid asks, watching her carefully.
    "Yes, my little hothouse flower?" Orchid grins at the nickname.
    "...Grandpa is dead. And my other grandma... Is also dead." She states it flatly.
    "I'm afraid so, dear." Mom smiled sadly and pulled her into hug. "Please, don't be sad. I don't believe that either of them, or Rin, either, would want us to worry after them."
    "And you, Grandma, are alive." She said it with fervor. Not just a smile, but an earnest grin, spread across her face. "There's a dark secret here, isn't there? Don't worry -- I'll uncover it myself!"

"I wouldn't call it a dark secret, would you, Uriel?"
    "You're involved. That almost makes it the opposite. A light secret."
    "I hope she doesn't get too invested. I think she'll be dissapointed."
    "Dissapointed? 'you're the descendant of angels and are being called upon a grand redemption quest to return us all to what is, in essence, heaven.' Yeaaaaah, that'll dissapoint miss narrative there."
    You really think so? Oh...Dear..."
    "Sarcasm. That's what that was....Oh, nevermind. Enjoy your walk."

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find more work. I think Reed's worked on this guy before -- he likes dyeing hair to spice up the gene pool.

"Think about it! Your house would look so much nicer if it was spherical. Rolling homes are the mobile homes of tommorow!"
    "I'm not sure about this..."
    It's hard going. This town is opposed to architectural freedom!

But my name seems to be coming around -- I'm invited to a swimsuit party, and since Evanthe's been having a rough time, I of course take her with me.

The two of us mostly dance, but Evanthe compliments me on actually showing up in my swimsuit, almost like I was told to wear it!
    ...It's kinda dull, wearing what's expected of you.

Reed's out and about on his own when he gets his birthday.

My man's a bit more insecure about aging than I am, and he ends up with a midlife crisis. I should have listened to Orchid.
    Of course, the kids are growing up so fast.

Judging by that stride, I think Linden is exploring his heritage as an unreal thing. It's baby steps, but it's something.

And Orchid's becoming something of a little fighter.
    "Grandmaaaaa~! Don't pinch my cheeks!"
    "Awww, but you're so cyuuute!"
    "That's it! I challenge you to a duel, grandma... But with pillows, OK?"
    "Of course dear."
    They laugh and go have a pillow-fight.

And as night falls, Mom and I come to simmilar conclusions about the passage of time.
    I decide to comfort Reed like he comforted me, and we celebrate our youth by finding a really creative use for the new tree house.

And a cold wind blows through the house, like a chill. It sends my mother running out to the yard.

Whatever Mom and Daddy say to eachother as ghost meets angel... Well, maybe I heard it, and maybe I didn't.

Maybe I just want the two of them to have a little privacy of the heart -- I'm showing you the pictures, but that's just a single moment caught. Words are a continuum, where Mom whispers something as Daddy's whispering it back.

I will tell you, though, that for the first time in a while, I heard my mom giggle.

Our conclusion is this: Time's not a bad thing. Not when you hold precious things close after all of it.

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lifetime Wish: Living in the Lap of Luxury
    Career: Architect (9/10)
    Supermax Skill: Painting
    Building, Property: Hogan's Deep-Fried Diner, Romper Recreational Park
    LTR: Innapropriate in a Good Way, Artisan Crafter, Extra Creative
    Best Friends: Ariel Seraphim, Reed (Joy) Seraphim, Evanthe Seraphim, Lindsay Coulter, Helmut Roderickson, Jacob Roderickson, Ross Dorman, Orchid Seraphim, Gabriel Seraphim, Cyriaque Cantu, Ami Oakley
    Black Ops: When Dream Come True, Scavenger Hunt: Rare Elements, A fishy science project, Outside Reading, Larger than Necessary Doorstop, Local Artists' Gallery
    Portraits: Toddler, Child, Teenager, YA, Adult
    Sculptures/Photos: Child (sculp), Teen (sculp), YA (sculpt and Photo), Adult (Sculp/ Photo?)

Orchid's Requirements:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lifetime Wish:
    Career:
    Supermax Skill: Martial Arts (unless travelling glitch, then athletics)
    Building/Property:
    LTR:
    Best Friends: Aster Seraphim, Reed Seraphim, Linden Seraphim
    Black Ops:
    Portraits: Toddler, Child
    Sculptures/Photographs Toddler (sculp&photo), Child (sculp&photo)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-01-15 at 05:59 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

yAy new chapters!!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

My thoughts:

Pillow fighting is serious business. Seriously. Just look at Orchid's face.

Billy is seriously the husband of the century. It's nice to know that even death isn't quite the end of the immortals' love lives. ...Assuming you have enough graveyard space.

I didn't really have much to say on the previous chapter. It mostly felt much like a mourning period. I'd have to say the turning point back to lighthearted though can be traced to one single image:

Spoiler
    Show

Really who can stay sad after a face like that? ...I'll tell you, some kind of happy-hating worry monster, that's who.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

I think Orchid takes everything seriously... It's serious fun!

I, too, love Billy's affectionate nature. I was kind of worried he would poof before they could have their fun, but luckily, he didn't poof until afterwards.

...I love Aster's facial expressions. This chapter has some good ones.

Chapter 35: Infinite Complexity
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm glad to see it -- Linden exploring his nature, I mean. In your blood, there's something in you that needs to be seen for you to be 'real' That's why painting is so wonderful -- even those things you cannot see can be shown.

He's really good-looking as a doll, I think. I hope there's some girl who can appreciate a body like a starry sky for him one day...

"No, it really does look nice, silly! No one's gonna tease you about it!"
    Though I don't think he has to look too far for that...

Regardless of what form he's in, the two of them are really close friends. It's not exactly that they follow each-other everywhere... But the two of them seem to have the same ideas as to what to play at the same time, so they're always together, connected...
    They say that the moment you're born, there's a red string that connects you to your fate. I've been looking, but none yet. It'd be sad if fate didn't have a plan for these two.
    ...Maybe if I go in and tie red strings to them...? YES! I need to go and buy several bobbins. There will be so many red strings, they won't be able to move!

Come to that, that'll make their teenage days much easier, right?

But not even Linden is spared the wrath of Orchid's pillow.

"This pillow of mine shines with an awesome power! It's burning stuffing tells me to defeat you! SHINING PILLOW!"
    "No fair.... Using... Finishing moves..."
    "Come on, Linden! A real man doesn't surrender!"

Speaking of wrath...

Echo's become a productive little hunter-kitty.
    "I've always wanted to be a ball of cartoon effects...Whenever she actually tries to catch something, I get jealous..."
    "...Cartoon effects? Life is not a cartoon."
    "No. It's a story based off of a videogame told to the readers here. But they'll see what I mean."
    "Nod and smile...Nod and smile... Wait. She can't see that."

Mom's still helping out the kids.

"When you look at Cinderella this way, you see it basically as an evolutionary struggle between two mothers, both trying to ensure the success of their offspring. The difference, then, between the 'good' mother as embodied in the linden tree and the 'evil' one is not so much..."
    "Grandma. No one's going to believe I wrote this."
    "Well, you're writing it as you see it, aren't you? Even if I'm giving you a way to look at it, it's your job to decide if that's the way you want to see it, honey."
    "Duh! But that's so cool! So miuch drama, so much conflict! You've got to tell me all the stories from now on!"

And it looks like she's keeping busy in other ways, too -- like finally putting those nectar-makers to work.

Umm...Don't tell her I said this, since she's so delicate and all...
    But her first couple of batches are terrible. We call them fail nectars.

But nectar-making gives her some free time that's not taken up by gardening. And she spends those...

Still reading by Daddy's grave. I don't think she does it becase she's sad, though -- it's just her way of being close. And she'd be reading outside anyway.

But tonight, I'm not gonna worry about that! Let's leave mom to watch the kids and go on a double-date!

I thought I'd help Ross and Evanthe along, since they'd been having trouble. I want my best friend to be happy, even if she and her man can't be married.
    Anyway, they loosened up after a while

I'm apparently so famous that I got these onion rings for everyone for free!
    ... From that terrible, terrible-looking bartender.
    "Reed! Do something!"
    "Alright, I'll see if I can't find her tommorow morning."
    Good.
    We have a good night, and get kicked out around closing time.

But Reed doesn't find her in the morning; apparently she commutes. One day, bad commuter fashion sense... YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU CROSSED ASTER SERAPHIM, YOU HEAR?!

Oh, but I do complete my 25th ice sculpture. So now we don't have to worry about who'll do museum pieces for the future generations!
    Yes, recording our legacy will fall upon my noble shoulders. I will do my best to record with honor and integrity and...
    Ooh, you know what would be cool? If I recorded us all as isometric shapes that represented our inner turmoil in the face of an uncaring world full of space-gophers!

"Whatever you're planning... Don't."
    "But I never said..."
    "No."
    "Fine. I'll do fractals, then. I think Orchid makes a fine Sierpinski gasket."
    "Like herding a cat..."

See, though?

Isn't she just like a Sierpinski gasket? Gabriel's kind of a Mendelbrot set, but that's a different story.

I'm trying to explain this idea to myself as I walk into the kitchen, and the phone rings.
    "Hello again, Ms. Aster."
    "Hi, Mr. or Misters Disembodied voice!"
    "Aster, we -- I mean, I -- am not disembodied. I am a perfectly normal sim embodied in a pile of slowly-decaying meat, as are we all."
    "...Oh, alright then!"
    "Anyway, it is in our interests that you maintain your popularity. People are starting to consider your figure, and we would reccomend building up your athletics ski--"
    "Now wait just a plum-picking minute! Orchid's good at sports -- she may one day want to work on her athletics full-time! And she can't do that if I do it!"

"I don't care what you think our interests are! I'm not doing anything that could endanger my perfect little hothouse Sierpinski gasket's chances, you got that?! Nothing! Popularity is meaningless!"
    "But --"
    I slam the phone down. My blood is boiling.

"(Rampage at 4 O'Clock. I knew this day was coming.) Hey, Aster! Look at this neat-o rock!"
    "Ooh! A pretty rock!"

"I will love him and hug him and name him George and smother him like a mother hen, so he never feels unloved or neglected, and I..."
    "(This was less than an ideal plan)...Princess, why don't you go outside and try out the new bubble bar."

Oooh, lookit the pretty bubbles...
    "Disaster: Averted!"

"Or so I thought..."

"You know, Orchid... You're really cool. And brave. And you never give up."
    "Thanks! You just need a bit of backbone; like with your dad. Don't just let him ignore you like that!"
    "No, no, what I mean is I think you're..."
    She looks up at him and it's all hopeless.
    "Your dad's hamburgers... Are amazing! I love your dad's hamburgers! Nothing like burger breakfast!"
    He gets up and runs away.

I give her a glance -- after all, she had to have noticed it. I guess I didn't need string, after all.

And she looks back at me, and I wonder if maybe I have telepathy, because after a while, she smiles like I don't have to say anything.
    "Mother, you've gotta move your lips to talk! But don't worry about Linden -- I'll figure out what's got him so jumpy!"
    ...It may take her a while.

But she at least tracks him down to the treehouse.

And the two are off to search for distant adventure! And to spy on the neighbors, too.

And I get another call.
    "Ms. Aster, please. Allow me to apologize. I hadn't realize how seriously you would take my reccomendation."
    "Do you have a name, Mr. Agent?"
    "What? Of course. Of course I do. Yes, all sims do have names, and I am definately a sim, who has a name... Which is... Mr... Phone?"
    "Alright, Mr. Phone. So what do you want?"
    "I thought I'd offer you another opportunity, as an apology. The fusion lounge in-town has been looking for publicity, and you're just the jet-setter for the job... Bring a friend. You're still worried about Miss Evanthe, aren't you?"
    "You're right! I should bring her for a drink!"

"Thanks Mister Phone!"

Reed, meanwhile, had been in the grips of a terrible, soul-crushing...

And incredibly mild midlife crisis. He's not really wanted to do anything to change his life at all.
    ...I guess that must mean I'm doing a pretty good job.

That's not to say he hasn't been working hard! He's maxed his cooking, so now he can make ambrosia if we need some more!
    That's three skills he's maxxed. I'm impressed.

I'm working hard, too! I think Mrs. Grisby needs a more fun house: maybe a maze out of dividers between everything, so her guests have to go through a wonderful labrynth!
    ...Well, I didn't have the budget for that, so I hopes she likes the stuff I did do.

I guess she must have -- she sent the call to the architectural office saying I'd done good work...
    And they called me to say I was promoted! Promoted! My last promotion~!
    Except for get old and not die, I've done everything I need to become immortal!

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show
    Career: Architect
    Best Friends: Ariel Seraphim, Reed (Joy) Seraphim, Evanthe Seraphim, Lindsay Coulter, Helmut Roderickson, Jacob Roderickson, Ross Dorman, Orchid Seraphim, Gabriel Seraphim, Cyriaque Cantu, Ami Oakley
    Black Ops: When Dream Come True, Scavenger Hunt: Rare Elements, A fishy science project, Outside Reading, Larger than Necessary Doorstop, Local Artists' Gallery
    Sculptures/Photos: Child (sculp), Teen (sculp), YA (sculpt and Photo), Adult (Sculp/ Photo)

Orchid's Requirements:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lifetime Wish:
    Career:
    Building/Property:
    LTR:
    Black Ops:
    Portraits: Toddler, Child
    Sculptures/Photographs Toddler (sculp&photo), Child (sculp&photo)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-01-20 at 04:39 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Aster is so awesome I love it. cant wait for another update!!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gee whiz! You come back to the playground after several months away, and look at all the cool stuff you miss! This LP is awesomesauce, consider me a fan!
    I'm back.

7. - Top - End - #97

I'd like to attribute Reed's incredibly boring midlife crisis to an off-camera dream or daydream sequence inspired by It's A Wonderful Life, in which Uriel and the ghost of Billy team up to show Reed what life would be like if he'd moved out on his own rather than marry Aster. Thus, when he returns to the real life, Reed knows exactly what he wants in life, and that it's exactly what he already has.

And I agree, Reaper. Aster is indeed awesome.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

@ Aerodynamik:

Very well. I will consider you whatever household appliance you like.

@ Toric:

I love that idea -- it's really, really cool. I'm in a place where Reed's mid-life non-crisis is over... And he never got a single wish.

And Aster sends her appreciation for her awesomeness directly through the fourth wall.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 36: Busy Night
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, since I've completed all my requirements, it's time for me -- the grand and elegant Aster -- to commit myself upon the family housing... AND REDECORATE THE ART ROOM!

It needs this and this and one of those and do you think I can give it a cowplant or --
    "No cowplants!"
    "But..."
    "They're banned!"
    "....Oh, alright... What about this?"
    “Aster, you can’t use the fountain of youth in here.”
    "But... But... WATER FEATURE!"
    "Get a different water feature! That won't make people immortal!"
    "...Alright..."

And now my work's complete!

It's got doodads and whatsits to ensure the stable orbit of the planets and to inspire... It's got a couch for snuggles and a coffee machine for late nights, and a mirror in case I want to steal a soul or draw myself or something. Not for a formal portrait -- but art is about pushing boundries! Doing new things!

It also has a half-sculpted cat and some noms what for omning...Oh, and it's got that evil thing that came from under my earlobes...And Evanthe! Hiii, Evanthe!

Oh, kid fashion update!

Linden's hairstyle is super-popular. All of Orchid's classmates have it, too.

Also, here is Mom with a kitty.

How does she, a supposedly retired immortal, have more to do than I do? It's a mystery.

“Why are you at the gym? I thought you were visiting that kid with the identical haircut.”
    ”It’s where my father is.”
    ”How do you figure that?”
    ”It’s elementary, Mr. Uriel. My father is a minor celebrity, but he’s almost never at his house. However… Uncle Reed’s map to the stars doesn’t show celebrity *houses*. It shows celebrity *locations*, updated in real time. Ergo, I can pin down his exact location, and hopefully arrive before he leaves.”
    ”That’s good detective work, kiddo. So, you going in?”
    ”…I’m scared. I wanted Orchid to come, but I thought she’d get carried away… Will you go with me?”
    ”Of course, buddy.”

I can't imagine how Linden must feel. It must be turning his insides to good and then spreading them on bread like jam and then making the bread into a sammich.
    "Hi... Dad..."
    "Linden?! Uhh... Hi. Hi there... Ummm... How's your mother?"
    "Good. She's...Great. Out with Aunt Aster right now, actually... Ummm... How's being a lifeless monster-man?"
    "Can't complain, can't complain... How's school?"
    "...Dad. Can we stop asking about the status of random things?"
    "Alright...
    So... Do you like computers?"

"I mean, I'm always hearing about how kids your age are into computers."
    "Kids your age...Dude, you live in a technological near-stasis! All kids like computers! Forever!"
    "(Mr. Urieeel) Yeah, dad. I like computers well enough."

"I actually have some really exciting ideas about maybe using computers for law enforcement...Umm... You know, to catch bad guys and stuff."
    "That's really interesting, Linden. Hey, have you heard..."

And so that scary first 'real' encounter turns to warm laughter.

I wonder how everyone else is doing...

"HA-HA! I'm on top of the world!"
    ...Yeah, I bet Orchid's fine.

"I knew it! Not only are they worshipping the TV, they're holding a TV-worshipping gnome-party!
    "Uriel, let's not be silly. Come and watch with us -- I'm making popcorn."
    "...W-well...Alright. But only because it's the finale of one life to sim...And because it's you."
    "Thank you, Uriel."

What, you want to know what I've been doing while all this is happening?

GIRL'S NIGHT OUT! I'm following Mr. Phone's advice on this one, taking Evanthe with me. I think she's mostly OK with Ross being a vampire now -- I think -- but I'm not sure.

And of course we hit the dance floor at the Banzai Lounge, since we're here for a drink anyway.
    "Hey, Vanthe...Can I go fishing with you sometimes?"
    "Do you even know how to fish?"
    "Yeah! I learned a little on a field trip as a kid! You take the line, you hook it with some bait, and toss it in some water like a river or a pond or a swimming pool...And fish spawn to take it!"
    "...Why don't you take a lesson or two before coming with me. Why do you want to do this, anyway?"
    "...Well... When we were younger...We were always together. And we're not so much anymore. We're like independant people. And that's OK and all...But I want to see you more."

"Alright, then. Let's start by playing some shuffleboard!"

"(Hey... Uriel?...Watch out for her for me, OK? I don't know what'll happen... After I'm gone, OK?)"
    "(Ok.)"

Next up it's drinks!

I am less than impressed by this mixologist. She needs to have at least 3 extra arms to make her being this clumsy funny. This family needs a doctor so he can help.

"Here's to us."
    "To us. Forever."
    We laugh and down the drinks. It's basically closing time, so it's time to finish our whiskey or beer... We don't have to go home, of course, but we can't stay here.

When I get home, I notice something funny.

"Hey, this patch of grass is a little lighter than the other patches. Yaaay, for a patch of unusual color in a conformist lawn approach!"
    Oh, and there's ghost-Elaine on the trampoline, getting impressive air for a dead old lady.
    That's good, too.

"The garden's not doing very well... I think I may have to reduce the size to let the sprinklers do better work. Maybe set up a rotation."
    "OOh, rotating plants? Let me help! They'd need a spinning disco ball, too, to make the rotating more fun! And maybe we'll add in some teacups and --"
    "No, honey. I mean doing different plants at different times."
    "...Oh. Yeah, that could work."

While mom's doing that, she also maxes the second career of her lifetime: she becomes a top-ranked Gardener, with a fancy title I can't remember and everything!

And for the rest of us, the kids' birthday party is getting started. Orchid insisted on it being a swimwear party.

Someone's even getting a present...
    "Ummm...H-here, Orchid. Thanks."
    "What for?"
    "For helping me work up the nerve to talk to my dad."
    "Oh. That? Don't be silly! It's the least I could do for my truest friend!"
    She opens it anyway.
    "Wow! A baseball! Thank you, Linden! Come on, come on! Let's go play!"

First up to the cake is Linden...

And Orchid right behind. The both of them immediately dash for mirrors and dressers.

Linden wanted to work some of his mother's roots into him, so as a touch of pride, he had his hair dyed with some green highlights and tips. It's much more visible in the back than in the front -- like a mullet, but with hair dye.
    I think he's a pretty handsome young man -- certainly Charismatic.

And my little girl is sporty and beautiful, with her hair done up and, I think, a certain flair for...
    The Dramatic. It's going to be an interesting generation, I think.

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Sculptures/Photos: Child (sculp), Teen (sculp), YA (sculpt and Photo), Adult (Sculp/ Photo)

Orchid's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Lifetime Wish:
    Career:
    Supermax Skill:
    Martial Arts (unless travelling glitch, then athletics)
    Building/Property:
    LTR:
    Opportunistic
    Black Ops:
    Portraits:
    Toddler, Child
    Sculptures/Photographs: Toddler (sculp&photo), Child (sculp&photo)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-02-01 at 10:59 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Since we're rather radio-silent here, I wanted to post some screenshots that won't fit into the next chapter. Or that would, but I don't feel like folding them in.
    Spoiler
    Show

For starters, here's a shot of Orchid's bedroom. Once she's grown up, I'll probably do another image, maybe a floorplan. I have plans for the little corner of the room, if she'd be willing to cooperate with me on its use.

Also, the bathroom that's between Ariel and Orchid's rooms. It's done in slightly more Orchid's style than Ariel, but I may add a hanging plant somewhere to help ease the transition.

This is Orchid's propety, the public pool. New additions to the first floor (shown here) are the hot-tubs, fountain, and lounge chairs. Also added is a staircase to a functional up-stairs area, on what was the roof.

Which is now an outdoor play area with chairs and a slip-n-slide and grills and things for fun of all ages, I'm sure. Maybe I'll throw Orchid's adult birthday here.

I purchased a new set from the store recently and Master Suite stuff came out, so I decided Aster needed a new formalwear and formal hair -- this is replacing her wedding gown, since I was kind of getting tired of seeing it all the time. I may make more use of this hairstyle for her, though... If I don't use another style for her elder haircut, though maybe they can both be used.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-02-04 at 11:39 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

11. - Top - End - #101

Spoiler
    Show

I see Aster is continuing her pastime of making goofy faces.

Spoiler
    Show

And Orchid is continuing this proud tradition. I definitely dig the Asian theme she has going for her. And it's quite the surprise that bookworm Linden broke out of his social shell the way he did to become Charismatic. I wonder if his breakthrough with his dad had anything to do with it, or if it was more Orchid's outgoing influence.
    Last edited by Toric; 2012-02-06 at 12:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

There's some good Aster faces during the vacation coming up...

Little of column A and little of column B on Linden, and also... It's not just a trait that, for him, says how he is: I think for him, it's also who he wants to focus himself on becoming. For, I think, obvious reasons <3

Chapter 37: The Future: Contains Fewer Jetpacks than Advertised

Spoiler
    Show

"What're you reading, Orchid?"
    "It's a book on martial arts. A girl's gotta be ready for the future."
    "The future?"
    Like...with jet-packs?
    "You're reading about atomic-powered jetpack gnomes that pull the wires loose and need to be fought off with martial arts? Good girl!"
    "...Sure, Mother. Whatever you say...Hey, do you think we could go adventuring?"
    "Maybe when you learn to drive, dear."
    "Then I must learn to drive post-haste! To the Motive Mobile!"
    I wonder...Would it just be an orchid spinning? A bat-Orchid? Hm... I don't feel dead, so I think not.
    "Mother?"
    "Shh. I'm trying to design the scene-change spin-out logo. Maybe you could do a Captain Simnation style..."
    "...I'll talk to you tommorow."

"Hey, Mom. Do you think we could construct a giant search light with a...Oh. Oh, sorry, Kitty."

Echo and mom have been close recently. I'm glad Mom's kitty satisfies its role.

"Hey, Linden -- you're smart. If we were to get an invisible jet, how would we find it? Would we have an invisible jet detector?...But if the jet detector was invisible, I guess we could coat it in paint. Maybe neon red. A neon red invisble jet detector sounds nice. It and the invisible Pink Unicorn can go on and..."

"I-I lurve... No, no, that's not right!"
    "What are you doing?"
    "Oh, Missus Aster! I didn't see you there! I was... ummm... I was just practicing my speeches! For school! Yeah. School. It...was...umm... And opportunity!"
    "Linden. Just remember: when you love something out of reach, you need to move faster. If you love the moon, you need to be a rocket ship. If you love the bottom of the ocean, find a wizard to make you a crab. Nothing's out of reach when you're some sort of transforming rocket-crab."
    "...Thank you, ma'am?"
    "You're welcome!"

Anyway, I gotta run -- Reed's taking me out for the day!

"Art museum yes!"
    "Glad you like it."
    We wander around for a bit, and I notice something.
    "This art museum stinks. I mean, they think a mounted fish is suitable for a museum! To be suitable, you'd have to fill every scale with a tiny painting, glistening in silver, giving each movement of the fish a moment, a texture, a smell."
    "...It's plastic. It doesn't have scales."
    "Someone in this family will have to purchase it. The gallery, I mean, not the fish. But we could purchase the fish and paint it nice."
    It needs a moonscape. It needs a young couple sitting in a movie theater. It needs a coin and the Borgias bathing in mercury. It needs that moment where you realize you are not as young as you used to be...

And he still loves you anyway.
    "I think if it had this..." I whisper into Reed's mouth, tasting the sort of warm-bread-and-apple-jam sweetness of his breath-of-life, his soul, "If it had this... It could be saved."
    "Maybe so,"
    He mutters back.

We spend the morning and early afternoon together.

He serenades me among the cheap knick-knacks...

And I give him a little surprise when we get home.

Orchid's been so focused recently -- on the jetpacks, I suppose. Even when she's invited to that nice young celebrity's house, and is all alone with him...

She just sits down and does her homework, eager to get back home for something important.

Meanwhile, Linden and Evanthe are at work, too.

In a new car, painted up in Linden's colors, too. He's got a fast car -- is it fast enough that he can fly away? ... No, probably not. You need red stripes for that.
    "Sweetie, it's time to maybe actually pressed the gas pedal."
    "Don't worry, Mom. I've calculated the minimum amount of gas we need to get the car to move at a legal speed...B-besides, it's safer."

And the moment Orchid comes home, she forces me into the motive mobile for driving lessons of her own.

"Wheeeee! Faster, faster! To go spinning along the sleepy road at night, the wind through our hair, the van filling us up with inward peace like the bubble bar pumping bubbles into my mouth, the fairies spinning as we pass them by, the laughter of the moon..."
    "Faster? Alright, Mother! I'll even overlook your trippy external monologue!"
    "...We need a flux capacitor -- otherwise, all this 88 miles per hour will go to waste."

And, once both the kids have learned to drive...
    "Mother, Father, Linden -- we're going to China! Pack your things! You said!"
    I wonder why I'm going.

Well, anyway, like she implied, the travel group is Reed and I, who are treating this like a second honeymoon...

And Linden and Orchid, out for adventure.

After a mutually-desired pillow fight.

Reed and I are also going to do tourist stuff.

"What is wrong with this park?! Don't they know they need a proper statue of an octagonal fish statue?!"
    "Just standing in the background...Deedeee...Reminding people I exist... Lalaalaaa...."
    Raging at things is a tourist activty, right? That was fun.

Meanwhile, Orchid's decided to trade pillow-fighting for real stuff... with ADVENTURE!
    I wonder if I should let her have the next chapter...

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lifetime Wish:
    Career:
    Supermax Skill:
    Martial Arts (unless travelling glitch, then athletics)
    Building/Property: Everfresh Supermarket, The Pool (name?)
    LTR: Opportunistic, Learned Relic Hunter
    Black Ops:
    Portraits:
    Toddler, Child, Teen
    Sculptures/Photographs: Toddler (sculp&photo), Child (sculp&photo), Teen (Sculp&Photo)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-02-08 at 11:14 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

13. - Top - End - #103

Of course Orchid would be the one to do the adventuring this time. What she lacks in invulnerably plush skin and cottony insides she makes up for with pure spunk!

....Linden reminds me of myself when I was learning to drive, I'm ashamed to admit. At least he didn't have to ask which was the gas pedal and which was the brake.

And it's so cute watching Linden practice his suaveness in the mirror. He's adorable, especially in his swimming goggles.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toric View Post
    Of course Orchid would be the one to do the adventuring this time. What she lacks in invulnerably plush skin and cottony insides she makes up for with pure spunk!

Exactly! Also, I reccomend reading all of Orchid's dialogue in the hammiest voice possible. It's her way.
    Evanthe didn't come... Because they we'd be on this trip *forever*. I mean it. 16 days was minimum when I tried bringing her along. We'll already be here for 2 1/2 chapters as it is. I'd like her to go on at least one last trip, though. Maybe Egypt.

....Linden reminds me of myself when I was learning to drive, I'm ashamed to admit. At least he didn't have to ask which was the gas pedal and which was the brake.

And it's so cute watching Linden practice his suaveness in the mirror. He's adorable, especially in his swimming goggles.
    Linden is really, really adorable. I just want to give him a hug. I'm very glad to have him along.
    Also, I absolutely bet those goggles are perscription and everything, because that's how Linden rolls.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 38: For Best Effect, Read in the Hammiest Voice Possible
    Spoiler
    Show

Salutations! I, Orchid, have comendeered this record!
    ...Except... I don't know who's reading this. Mother says it's a story written for people on the internet built off of a popular videogame in which we are characters... But Mother says a lot of things.
    The story that the voice who follows us around, Uriel, backs up, is that this a record of Grandmother and her descendents for posterity. It will be read one day.
    So, to you, I say Salutations!

Having arrived in China safely, we've split up to our own adventures! Father has a painting opportunity, Linden's with me...

And Mother's keeping her promise to Evanthe, going fishing to try and improve so they can fish together.
    Hey, if I learn Martial Arts, do you think I'll be able to catch fish with my hands?

This will only make me study harder!

And with my whitebelt achieved, I can safely say... No. No, I cannot catch fish with my bare hands...Grrr... That's really unfair, you know?
    Well, no matter!
    "Onwards, Linden! With this skill, we shall have much more expedient adventures!"
    "...You really think we'll encounter mummies in China?"
    "Anything's possible! That is the ethos that drives man to triumph!"
    "I suppose preparing for mummies may allow us to conquer mummies... That's reasonable. I'll read up on mummies when I get the chance!"
    That's the spirit!

Martial Arts don't help with bugs, though... Still! A heroine must perservere! Even when their arm is absolutely coated in about 100 insects.

"Aaaaaaah! Oh my god, it's an empty box!"
    Yes, the struggles of our young heroes are many!

My parents are enjoying their time away from life, work, and everything but eachother. It's not as if they have skills to max besides my father's desire to learn some cooking recipes. They spent their first evening on a sort of little 'date' around the lot.

Linden and I have been doing well, panics aside! He's done a fine job of collecting treasure and helping hit switches while I run ahead!

"Hey, Linden? You're doing a good job. I'm very glad you came along with me. It's not like you had to!"
    "What else is a 'sidekick' for?"
    "Don't say it like that, you dope! You're my partner! Partner! Share the loot, share the risk, share the glory!"
    I pat him on the back and he laughs.
    Linden... He's really a sweet guy. Sure, he needs some whipping into shape every now and again, but who doesn't?! He's very gentle and sweet, and I think he's a person with so much potential that he doesn't even know...
    ...But if he liked me, he would have said something, right? So in other words, he doesn't like me like that.
    I'm not saying it's hopeless, however! I've just got to find the right moment, and he'll fall for me for sure!
    The perfect dramatic moment...

Hm, I don't think it's when I'm getting my VISA upgraded, or anything like that. Such moments are not grand or romantic enough!

But while I'm pondering this challenge, a new challenger has appeared! It is THIS MAN, learned it in the Martial Arts!

While his fists and feet move so quickly that they blur, I cannot back down! I refuse to surrender! While he may -- does -- beat me today... One day, I will be the queen of the Chinese Martial Arts tournament! I'll be able to tell this man that I have overcome that great person at the start of my path.

And to do that...
    "Come on, Linden! Let's train!"

We spend a while in the Scholar's Garden, working up our own skills. Lindens' got a talent for it...And when he gets his own gi, I must say... He's really very attractive.
    But even more than that, as the boards crumble beneath my hand, as I test my strength against reality itself. The strength that will carve a happy ending for Linden and I...

It's the strength of improving, little by little, honing my body into a tool with which to create that story. That's a challenge I'm all for, for the rest of my life!
    And so it comes to me in a flash of outrageous clarity -- a lifetime wish of Physical Perfection!

A small parent check-in before moving on to my next idea.

...This is what adults get up to while the kids are away, hmm? Flagrant skinny-dipping?
    I APPROVE!
    "This water jet feels odd...Are you sure this is a good idea, Aster?"
    "Look at my foot. It is like a little Africa at the end of my leg. Hello, Africa."

My next idea was that, when we were both worn out, I could go about creating that perfect moment!

"Hey, Linden -- why don't we go have a picnic at the Hot Springs? You know, you and me?"
    "...L-like...a date?"
    I put my hands on my hips and laugh.
    "Yeah! Exactly like a date!" I say with all the courage I can muster. 'Nothing happens until you act decisively,' I remind my fluttering heart.

Like my parents last night, we lay out a picnic basket and eat. I speak to him warmly. But when dinner's done, he turns to leave.
    There's no way I'm letting my quarry escape me!

"Wow, your shoulders are tense. It's all that working out."
    "Well, no pain, no gain, right?"
    "Exactly! But you also have to take care of pain, even when going for such wonderful results!"
    "...I...suppose?"
    He's not sure of where this is going. I understand.

"Turn around."

I knead my hands into his back, trying to plan out my next move. Do I just kiss him? Do I lead up to it slowly?
    ...He's a smart guy. He'd like the words, I'm certain!

"Linden, I wanted you to know...Remember when you thought I was amazing?"
    "I-I still do."
    "Well, you might be right. But you're amazing. You're smart and you're nice... And you didn't have to do any of this. Following me today, helping me out, braving perilous traps by my side, you didn't have to do a lick of it!"
    "...I'm sorry."

"Don't be! Because what I want... Is to never leave your side."
    I lean forward, and we kiss.

Since the invention of the kiss, there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one...
    Was pretty dissapointing! I am dissapointed in my weak kissing technique!
    Oh, sure, there was something wonderful in having his hand on my shoulder, the intensity of his return... But it was sloppy!

"I'm going to have to practice more! 12 kisses a day, until my kiss is perfection!"
    "...I...have no objections to that..." Linden muttered, raising his fingers to his lips in stunned silence.

"W-what? Even after that..."
    "We'll get better. Even more important... Is that you want to kiss me. And I want to kiss you. But I think 12 might be a lot of kisses per day. Let's start small.
    I-I love you!"

Even after my perfect moment fell apart...

"Thank you, Linden."
    I smile, and kiss him again. Already, this one is better than the last.
    That is the force of will that creates happy endings!

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:

Spoiler
    Show
    Lifetime Wish: Physical Perfection
    Career:
    Building/Property: Everfresh Supermarket, Riverfront Swim Club
    Black Ops:
    Portraits: Toddler, Child, Teen
    Sculptures/Photographs: Toddler (sculp&photo), Child (sculp&photo), Teen (Sculp&Photo)
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-02-12 at 11:57 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

16. - Top - End - #106

....Allow me to re-read this chapter. When I went for "Hammiest Voice Possible" Orchid ended up sounding like Jim Cummings AKA Minsc from Baldur's Gate 2.

*Minutes pass*

Okay. There's a few things I really like in this chapter.

* Linden looking like he came right out of an episode of Scooby doo,
    * Linden practicing very stiff martial arts in the least practical clothing possible
    * A hot tub scene with more entertainment value than three episodes of Blind Date combined
    * And a kiss that is less Princess Bride and more Prom Queen. It's true, in real life, very few mutual first kisses are movie-caliber.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

....Allow me to re-read this chapter. When I went for "Hammiest Voice Possible" Orchid ended up sounding like Jim Cummings AKA Minsc from Baldur's Gate 2.

*Minutes pass*

Okay. There's a few things I really like in this chapter.

* Linden looking like he came right out of an episode of Scooby doo,
    * Linden practicing very stiff martial arts in the least practical clothing possible
    * A hot tub scene with more entertainment value than three episodes of Blind Date combined
    * And a kiss that is less Princess Bride and more Prom Queen. It's true, in real life, very few mutual first kisses are movie-caliber.
    She ended up sounding like a feminized Aquaman from Batman: The Brave and The Bold to me. OUTRAGEOUS!

As for your points...
    * He looks adorkable in these shots, doesn't he? Evanthe and Ross did right... (He does get a gi, once he gains a level).
    * I love that shot. There were a lot of "Aster and Reed chilling" shots, but that is clearly the best. Aster looks so happy skinny-dipping and looking at her foot. So happy. I hope she will keep making these faces FOREVER.
    * Yeah, and for Orchid, who wants life full of big sweeping emotions and action, that's bound to be frustrating. But she and Linden have mondo chemistry: they'll talk or flirt for hours if I let them.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 39: At Journey's End
    Spoiler
    Show
    And after some more training, it's time... FOR ADVENTURE!

Combining adventure with a first date is a great idea!
    "Don't most first dates involve... Less fire? And fewer dive wells?"
    "Yes, but this is far from most first dates! This is exciting! Daring! And Linden looks so dashing diving into wells..."
    "AAAAAH! BUGS!
    "He's a little startleable, but when someone tries to keep up with me... It's really nice."
    "AHHH! FIRE! AHHH! THE BUGS ARE ON FIRE!"
    "I best rush t0o his defense!"
    "I guess as long as you're blundering about together..."

For many of our fine adventures, we have needed to listen to the locals!
    "Well, and then you foreign people came and stood and forced us to talk to you for hours!"
    "That's really interesting, yeah. Will you sign our petition to remove the giant rock in the hotsprings?"
    "Yeah, sure, whatever."

"VICTORIOUS!"

With this, I have achieved one of my objectives: a level 3 Vista of my own!

But there remains one last travel Linden and I must face! We must prevail through a maze of water jets and twisty staircases, all alike. For at the end...
    Is a weapon fit to rend the world asunder! The Axe... Of Pangu!

"I LIVE, AND AM WIELDED ONCE MORE!"
    "It talks? OUTRAGEOUS! COME, OH MIGHTY AXE! WE SHALL CRUSH ALL BEFORE US!"
    "Woah, woah, woah. Stop it with the capslock. I know this guy," Uriel says, interrupting the moment. "*%&#&^<3, is that you?...Wait, what the? I can't say *%&#&^<3?"
    "Greetings, Sir Uriel... I'm afraid that as penance for my most sinful involvement in that incident most foul --"
    "It wasn't that bad."
    "-- My name has been stricken from creation itself. Oh, and I am also an axe."

"Wait, this axe was a person? A lost soul, in need of salvation? And everything?!"
    "Yes, child. For you see, AT THE DAWN OF TIME -- Wait. Where's Ariel? I thought you two did everything together."
    "Grandmother? She's not here. She's still in Riverview. Tell me the story!"
    "Grand...Uriel. Are you scheming something again?"

"Stoooory!"

"It's only a small scheme. I have it on good word it'll work for her!"
    "...This girl is pure of heart, as Pangu was. She shall be fit to wield me...And all the better: someone must bare a vigilant eye upon you, Uriel!"
    "Oh, like you're any less fallen. Get in line, Axey."

...Man, what good is it being narrator if all the action happens over your head?
    "I demand to know what you're all talking about!"
    "It'd be more dramatic if Ariel told you, honey."
    "...You do have a point. But still, for the good of this story, I want to know --"
    "Hey, don't you have a shiny new axe-that's-a-fallen-soul to wield in the name of justice?"
    "You're right. I do. Come, Sir Axe! We shall free the waters of the hotsprings for the good people of Shang Simla!"
    "Verily, Young Orchid!"

"Mr. Uriel, was it really smart giving her total control of a dangerous weapon?"
    "...Well...Ummm...No, problably not."

"Definately not. That was sort of a really bad idea, especially in terms of colateral damage. But they really do get along."
    "And that, young Orchid, is the story of how I defeated the Anti-Existance at the Dawn of Time. I call it "The Story of How I Defeated the Anti-Existence at the Dawn of Time!"

"Phh. That needs a much better name, Sir Axe! How about 'The Big Battle at the Big Bang'?"
    "BRILLAINT!"
    "We need a distraction. Post-haste."

"I think I have this, Mr. Uriel. C'mere, you brave adventurer..."
    He pulls me into another kiss. There's some improvement already!
    "Let's head back to the house. You can train there, since we've done all the adventuring."
    "And train I shall!"

After Linden and I get some time to ourselves, of course... I'll just leave out what he was whispering. It's a secret to everyone <3

See? Training! My guide to martial arts reccomends a really large number of hours to it! I think I'll be meditating for the rest of my life to meet that challenge!
    Luckily, with meditation, I'm pretty serene about it.

But I also want to get some strength training done! I need to build up those muscles for breaking boards and wielding Sir Axe, after all!

And for that, I turn to a sim with a lot of practice in Athletic pacing for help: My dad.
    ...I didn't even know my father knew the the kinds of words he was yelling. I'm pretty sure they're not allowed in a family-friendly record.
    But I APPROVE! The men in my life need to show some backbone!

Mother, meanwhile, has gone on a quest of her own: A quest for things to photograph!

"Ooh, look at you, all big and garden-y. I bet you're all 'ooh, Aster, don't take our souls with your camera and sell them for 50 simoleons, even when they're in sepia!' And I'm all 'mwahaha, but I will!' Except maybe not with that laugh. Except I did just do the laugh. Or didn't I? Well, Mwahahaha! Extra laugh!"
    Or something.

It is in this way that we wiled the time away before returning home.
    Where we met with a brutal teleporter accident!

By which I mean we arrive safe and sound, but only when mother gets a funny picture of us.

...My, all this adventure has me in a good mood. That must mean it's almost time for...Dramatic revelations!

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:

Spoiler
    Show
    Career:
    Black Ops:
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-02-18 at 08:42 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 40: Defying Gravity
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I've decided to re-organize the garden while you're away! I'm on a rotation system." Grandmother says when we come home.
    "...Is this about the future?"

"Oh, Uriel...You silly worrier. No, no. The sprinklers are just having a hard time hitting everything, and it takes most of the day to care for them. So I thought I'd give myself an easier time and more love to the plants, is all."
    She takes us for a tour of the whole garden, excitedly pointing out the full stock. In addition to the money trees, she has Gralladina Grapes, Carrots, Plasma Fruits, Cherries, Steaks, Burgers, Flame and Life Fruits. She'll change them as need or want be. I cannot imagine how they're so exciting to her!
    And then she meets The Axe. She stares at him for a moment, and I think he stares at her.
    "It's a rather small multiverse, isn't it?"
    "What do you hope to gain from this, Ariel? You're not just following him again, are you?"
    "I hope to gain everything, Old Friend. So far, it's been ... I think successful."
    "Don't worry, I'll explain the premise off-record, so we don't get a recap on there," Uriel commented.

This man needs all the help my father can give him. All the help. Now.

This is grave outfit peril indeed!

I have set up a balcony for my studies as I get to the great task of breaking boards.

Since I have a small table set up, often a gnome comes to keep me company. They are fine companions! Quiet, but with work, I'm learning their moods!
    Remy, sleeping there, is tired.
    "That's just what he *wants* you to think..."

"Soo...I have to impress you before you'll talk to me?"
    "Mmph."
    "Is that a yes? Or a no? Did you just eat a lot of peanutbutter?
    Oh, you need to try one of my peanutbutter and atomic watermelon pickle sandwhich! It's like a normal sandwhich, but the atomic-powered pickles allow your mouth to develop superpowers! That's why I can roll my tongue into a little loop!
    Aren't you impressed by my tongue?"
    "...You're strange, lady. So strange you must be famous! Only the rich and famous are so eccentric."
    "No, I'm pretty sure I'm insane, not eccentric. I've never even thought about inventing, and I am bound by my own outfit choices and not the outfit catagories of the man!"
    "Oh, then I guess you can't talk to me."
    "But..."

I think my mother's having a long night. Keep trying your best, mother!

Of course, my own efforts to try my best are somewhat delayed.

I have been unlawfully brought in by the police during my morning jog! Oh, the injustice of it all! It was late enough in the morning that I was not breaking curfew! I've done nothing wrong!
    I am an innocent girl, punished by a corrupt system! I should use this opportunity to become a vigilante!

When Mother's not yelling at me.
    "Getting arrested for playing pranks! In my days, we put effort into what we got arrested for. And my mother gave me a proper yelling-at, not this half-harded thing I'm attempting! What is wrong with you?!" Mother turns her attention to herself, and before she can start strangling herself, I try and grab her attention.

"I was arrested for pranks? The last time I played a prank was when I was a child!"
    She pulls out of whatever internal conversation seized her.
    "Yeah, I know. But that's how this goes, right? I needed a pretext to get you arrested so we could have a serious, adult talk!"
    "What?"
    "Oh, but Mom's in the garden. Go up and wait... AND ALL SHALL BE REVEALED! Except for why kids love Cinnamon Graham Crunch. I think that's because of media programming."

"...Wait. So the story of the Axe and why Grandmother's still alive and all that?"
    "Yes. She'll tell you as she told me. Later."

In the meanwhile, I cannot let my training fall slack!

I go upstairs and complete the Board Breaker challenge set forth by the great Martial Artists of old. There are still challenges left for me to face! Downstairs, I see my grandmother straighten and wipe the dirt off her hands and come up to the house.
    In a few moments, I'm called to the downstairs balcony.

"How to begin..." Grandmother taps her chin thoughtfully.
    "Oh, try the middle. That's the best part."
    Grandmother shakes her head.

And she tells me. She tells me about a city of angels, and a rebellion. How she and Uriel couldn't choose a side, and how they were banished to limbo. How this was their only path to redemption.
    "Pangu's Axe, too, was an angel, and like us, trapped between sides. His punishment was to become his own weapon -- he was a warrior class of angel, and perhaps his refusal to fight hurt them worse than mine and Uriel's. To become his weapon, and to lose his name."
    "And this will redeem him, too, right?"
    "...He has the option to do what I've done. But he'll have to do it for himself."
    "..But he's your friend! You need to save him!"
    "...I hope he'll be redeemed, dearheart, I really do. But... It's complicated. I can't help him right now."

Complicated... I think she's just making an excuse! But I press onward. I can undermine this system, and save Mr. Axe, right? He's a fellow adventurer! A fellow warrior!
    "And for all of this to work, I have to do all these tasks, right? Will my work with Martial Arts cover the skill?"

"Yes, that's perfectly fine. I'm glad we've raised such a focused little flower as you, Orchid."
    "EXCELLENT!...But... What happens to everyone else? Father and Aunt Evanthe and Linden..."
    The moment pauses like a record scratching.
    "..."
    "...I won't be real, then." My mother mutters to no one in particular.
    "...Experience dictates that they'll be waiting for us..."

Be waiting for us...

"So you let them die?!"
    "'Let' is a strong word..."
    Such flimsiness!
    "You had the secret to immortality right in your hands! And despite that, Grandpa Billy died! Grandma Elaine died! Father will die! Everyone's going to die!"
    The last of them breaks out, and makes me look at this whole battle. It's worthless, worthless, it's all worthless!
    "Linden will die. And you'll sit back and let it all happen!"

Grandmother winces. Mother is looking vaguely skyward, mumbling things. I can't hear them, but I see her lips going. She looks like she's apologizing to something only she can hear. My father?...Herself?
    "There are rules. I'm not happy with them."
    "So you let them stop you! Let them hold you back!"

It's true, I'm naive. I want life to be like a story. That's the facts. And now I have it... But what good is having a story where the heroine accepts such weak-hearted terms? What good is the heroine who gets to the end, having lost everything she wanted?
    That's a tragedy. What good is knowing stories if you don't be better than them?

[img]
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/gallery/albums/userpics/10193/Screenshot-17~18.jpg[/img]
    "You'll treat my life, all their lives, as a piece of meat -- that's not redemption! Being with the ones you love as long as you can, living the life you want...
    If that's what it is to fall, then send me down right now!"

Even if it means fighting heaven, I refuse. I refuse to let the lives that love mine be lost just like that! I refuse to live my life hampered by rules, everywhere my heart turns!
    That weakness in my grandmother's blue eyes, eyes so like mine...
    I refuse it!

I have the force of will to make a happy ending. Even if it means smashing all expectation!
    I rise to my feet! I'll leave this house! I'll make my own way!
    I'll save Linden, and Mr. Axe, and everyone!

"Orchid!"
    "...We can't. Without your permission, it's simply impossible. Hee. Hee. I wonder if I'll still become unreal... I wonder if it's OK..." Mother brings a hand to her mouth and looks very sad, even as a few strangled giggles escape.

"Get out! Get away from me, you immortal harpies!"

"...Yes, dear. Be careful." Grandmother says it with a sweet, sad smile. Like...Like she won't even fight for her own stupid thing!
    As the door closes, I hear Uriel go,
    "Well. That could have gone better."

That's it. I don't know what I said was right -- but I can't be made to give up as easily as that! My destiny is mine!
    Alright, then...

Time to stop waiting around. To plan A!

"Linden, want to go to prom together?"
    "Yes! I was trying to ask all week!"
    "Good. Now we both get what we want."
    I won't accept anything less!

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:
    Spoiler
    Show

Career:
    Supermax Skill: Martial Arts (1/3 Challenges)
    LTR: Opportunistic, Learned Relic Hunter, Jetsetter
    Best Friends: Aster Seraphim, Reed Seraphim, Linden Seraphim, Waylon Shwarz
    Black Ops:
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't really have much to say about this other than that it was awesome. I like how Orchid isn't willing to go along with it- a plot twist that was completely unexpected, but totally in character. (And totally awesome.)
    I'm back.

21. - Top - End - #111

...Your town has a man that walks around in a bear suit. This is horrifying.

And I really, really should have expected hot-blooded Orchid to try to go beyond the impossible and break through to a happier ending. But I didn't see it coming one bit.

I still haven't placed a good voice for Orchid. But the AXE is definitely voiced by Jim Cummings. I'm actually quite intrigued as to whether he'll actually get to enter the story as a real character.

Spoiler
    Show

Best personal trainer ever. Aster has taught him well in the ways of the face.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamik View Post
    I don't really have much to say about this other than that it was awesome. I like how Orchid isn't willing to go along with it- a plot twist that was completely unexpected, but totally in character. (And totally awesome.)
    Thank you, thank you.

...Your town has a man that walks around in a bear suit. This is horrifying.

And I really, really should have expected hot-blooded Orchid to try to go beyond the impossible and break through to a happier ending. But I didn't see it coming one bit.

I still haven't placed a good voice for Orchid. But the AXE is definitely voiced by Jim Cummings. I'm actually quite intrigued as to whether he'll actually get to enter the story as a real character.

Spoiler
    Show

Best personal trainer ever. Aster has taught him well in the ways of the face.
    I know, right? The game has terrible fashion sense for random age-ups.

Also, define 'real character'?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Also, define 'real character'?
    Incarnated as an actual Sim.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Within regular gameplay? Extremely unlikely. Mainly because unless I pick someone's spouse for him to be, there's simply no one to be him. Linden's the last of the home-grown spouses, and you're not supposed to create sims to populate the town or move in... Any anyway, house space is at a total premium. I've stacked with space for the front, so it doesn't look like it...
    But that's because I'm trying to push the moment where we have to wait for a spouse to die for the next generation to have a baby as far back as possible. I'm hoping we can delay it until Generation 6 or 7, where it happens normally anyway. Gen 4 is likely, by my planning, to marry and have children late... But I think Orchid (who could have twins without disaster) will get to have some kids early. I'd rather like Reed and Evanthe to see their grankids become children, something that's not happened yet.
    ...I'm not sure if it takes this much planning, but I sure plan things.
    At least I'm not one of those people who plops her immortals in front of a TV forever.

The Axe is one of those ideas I file as 'If I want to do a spin-off story after the dynasty is over.' I also have, as a back-up in case of failure, Uriel doing his own dynasty.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-03-07 at 08:20 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway, sorry for the delay (and I'll probably have some things about this to say in the Azure Dreams thread...) But for now, on with the show!

Chapter 41: Grace
    Spoiler
    Show

It certainly has been a while! I hope they've been taking care of these accounts while I've been enjoying my retirement...
    Though, I can't speak for how much further these will go on. This may be our last message. How fitting that these records begin and end with Ariel, isn't it?
    I hope that wherever this ends up, that whoever reads it enjoys it.

"We've got to think of a strategy. Something. Timetravel? We do have that time machine... We can -- we can -- we can... Think, Uriel... You're theoretically good at this..."
    "I know you're trying very hard."
    "Darn skippy! I...I'll never give you up! Even if I have to break free will to do it, I'll... I will succeed!"
    "...Uriel. Don't. The moment simkind loses its free will to angels... We'll have ruined something so beautiful. I'm not worth that."
    "How can you say that?!"
    "If our positions were switched... I might feel as you do now. But you would definately feel the way I do now -- that's the point of us, isn't it?
    ...No, I'll have faith in Orchid. If she comes around, she does so of her will. I'll not make her... And I'll not allow you to make her."
    "...You're right. But I'll keep trying to think of something. I won't let you die."
    "Thank you, Uriel. We may not have grace... But I have you. And we have our dignity."
    " (not have grace...)...How can you say that?"

Today, Aster won an award -- a key to the city! Given to her by our lovely mayor in his fabulous hat!

"My liege. I thank you for this gift...Of seeing your great hat!"
    "Ah, yes.... For thy compliments upon our personage, we shall bestor upon thee a higher title... With this sword --"
    He meant hand.
    "With this hand-sword, I dub thee a Knight of the realm. Rise, as a defender of the hat!"
    I generally have a policy of not saying anything at all when I can't say something nice...
    And I don't mean to be mean, but...
    Well, suddenly I feel slightly worried about the fate of the city under the current administration.
    "Well, I certainly didn't vote for him."
    "You can't vote."
    "Another way the man is keepin' the angel down, man!"
    "Oh, goodness, they're infectious! *giggle*"
    "But of course."

"How was the ceremony, Aster?"
    "You will address me as Dame Aster, knight of the star-flower!"
    "Of course, dear."

Orchid can't enact any more of her plans than going to prom, but she's at least still pursuing her training. She's taken to using that little slot in her room as a meditation area...
    You know, Uriel says it's because I'm being sappy, but I'm not angry. Part of me even thinks...Well, we'll see. I certainly don't question her resolve.

"...What is he doing? What meaning is there to his evil dance? Is he trying to bring back the 80s? Not on my watch!"
    "Oh, Uriel... Aster just thought he'd add some color. He is darling, isn't he? Though he does like to try and make Cavegnome build him some pyramids..."
    "Sugarpie Honeybunch, listen. It's a grand rule of life: nothing good comes out of ancient egypt. Haven't you played videogames? Watched movies? Read books? If there's one lesson they have to teach, it's that Ancient Egypt was a festering den of supernatural horror!
    ...Now if only they would be so up-front about the gnome menace."

"He just wants to be friends."
    And build an everlasting monument to himself so he'll be cozy in the afterlife. Perfectly innocuous.

Orchid spent Sunday afternoon prepping for her prom with a steely determination, like a girl trying to forget, to put things as far behind her as she can.
    She took Linden by the hand, and the two of them went out for their night. I can't help but wonder what it must be like, having so much future ahead. I've always seen simly time as so very brief and transitory... I don't think that's a feeling Orchid understands yet, and I'm glad for her.

I invite one of my old friends from work to wile away the evening. I'm a little nostalgic for friends these days, due to The Angel in the Axe's sudden arrival. Of course, I'd like to spend a few evenings listening to his fine stories of adventures. Perhaps this story will even compare.

Orchid's prom, from Uriel's spying, goes well.
    "They're all over each-other! Like bromeliads on trees!"
    "So even you're getting into the orchid metaphors."
    "...Dangit, you're infectious, you know that?"
    "But of course."
    Our young couple decides to "go steady," as they say (it's a lovely term, when you think of it -- a relationship that promises to be constant, stable. A rock on which to build a life together), Orchid earned the title of Prom Queen, and they danced the night away.

I feel sentimental, seeing another little flower from this house begin to thrive.

"...I've had a lot of fun."
    "Fun with what, Grandmother?"

Oh, it seems I've been snuck up on!
    "Oh, nothing, darling. Come, swing with me. You've been so busy, we've not spoken since the other day."

She sits, staring at me. For once, Orchid is wholly unsure of what to say.
    "Uriel, leave us for a while."
    "...What?"
    "This is girl-time."
    "I could be a girl if I wanted to."
    "But you're not currently. Off with you."

As he pouts off, a look of concern spreads on Orchid's face.

"That's a fine brooding face you have there, dear. You must have been practicing."
    "Brooding is an essential skill for a hero!" She declares through her funk. Then she falls silent again.

"Why don't you tell me about your plans? Where will you go? What distant mountains, oceans, lakes will you see?"
    "I was thinking about starting off with a full world tour -- maybe just head in a straight line across the world! I'd at least like to do some backpacking in Europe and dominate the Chinese Martial Arts scene!
    "And then?"

"...And then...I'd like to buy a mountaintop cabin with Linden. Somewhere with a waterfall to train under. Bears to wrestle! Maybe raise a kid or two. Linden can tutor them."
    "I see..."

"That sounds like a fine life, that can lead to many stories, as you always wished. Will you be happy, then?"

She stares at me before bursting out,
    "Grandmother, do you hate me?"
    "...Whatever for?"
    "For ruining your stupid plans. They're important to you."

I burst into laughter.
    "I could never hate you for something as petty as that."

"Children are like flowers. You plant them, and you care for them... But the growth of the flower is something it does in directions all its own. It'd be cruel to stop it... Because it produces the healthiest plants. You and your mother are both my precious flowers, the most beautiful I have ever raised into blossoming."

But on the subject of Aster, my beautiful, mad daughter with the wild eyes that make such unusual faces...
    "For your mother, though, I have my regrets."
    "My Mother?"
    "How do I explain it..."

"Aster is a creature of stars and lights. She's never fully belonged in this world...And perhaps she knows it. I've always felt that perhaps it was my own fault. 'Otherworldly' describes me as well as her... Such matters can be inherited..."
    "Wait, aren't you totally human in terms of genetics?"
    "Inheritance doesn't automatically just go through genes... That madness that takes her at times... Is her birthright, as a person not meant for this world. As she grew, I had hoped that at least, one day, I could save her from that...
    And fine a world where her heart could find peace."
    "...And you're giving up?!"
    "...Not just yet. But certainly, that was the finest chance I had. But I won't run away from this task...
    I'd also like to find some comfort for my poor dear Uriel. Hopefully, he'll take this to get his own chance to try, and abandon me to my fate when it comes."
    "Neveeeeerrrr!"
    "Uriel, I told you. No listening."
    "...Fine."

"And what about you? No city in the clouds for you, right? Or will they take you in for being good?"
    "I'm not sure... I may be sent back to my punishment. Or perhaps... For my lack of patience, I may find myself in an even worse position." I offer her a cheery smile as consolation.

"...You mean...you'll end up..." She points downward. I shrug.
    "It's a possibility."
    "Why bare you so calm about that?!" Orchid's shout was bound to wake up the neighbors, and I wince in reflex.
    "Because I truly believe that there's no situation so grave that it cannot be made bearable by a little smile, and no demon so fierce that he can't be won by a little kindness. So no matter what happens to me...
    I'm not afraid. I'll face whatever comes with a smile in my heart, for you and for everyone."

I do not know what Orchid sees in me that moment -- but as I stare down the moon, I feel its light on me, white and silver, filling me with that same bright paleness that is my nature. In that moment, perhaps I look the angel, undaunted by time, I feel. Perhaps that is why she takes a gasp of air as if I'd stolen it from her.

"...I'm just... running away, aren't I?"
    "Did I ever say that?"
    "Does it matter? I said I'd accept no compromise... But here I am, compromising! Saying I can't have everything, so I'll just leave my family in the lurch!"
    "Like I said, I'll be fine."
    "But that's exactly the sort of attitude I need to have!...That's the sort of attitude I've always promised myself. But... I couldn't face that it'd be hard to win. So I decided to run."
    "...And now?"
    Her voice reaches a creschendo of excitement, breaking into a wild smile that fills her up with determination.
    "I'll not accept less! I'll follow along... But I'll do my best! I'll try and protect everyone! If Linden dies, then I'll wait until this is all over and bring him back! Even if I fail today, I'll win tommorow!
    ...And when this is all over, I'll go see the world. Don't think I'll abandon that, either!"

A warmth that far outshines the light of the moon fills my heart. Perhaps I was a little afraid, because tears sting my eyes in relief.
    "And there's something else I want, too!"
    "...For you, dear, anything..."

"A big wedding. I won't accept anything less!"
    "Of course. I'll start planning the flower arrangements now, even."
    I laugh, and pull this child of my child into an embrace.
    "But I think you're skipping a few steps."
    "Oh, don't you worry. Well, I'm off."

And so, this long night comes to an end...

And turns to love. Orchid may be right -- love will wait for anyone. Forever. As my precious husband kisses me, my breath swirling emptily into the air, I'm certain of that.

And Orchid, too, is ready to fight again, even against her own thoughts.
    ”Wow. Your scheme worked.”
    ”Scheme? Uriel... I’ve never schemed anything. I meant every word...And didn't think she'd turn things around just because of that.”
    ”But you said... Did you actually... You said you were willing to... Aaaah... Don’t scare me like that!”
    "What, you doubted Ariel's resolve? Man, time hasn't made you anything less but an idiot, Uriel."
    "Hey! You're dead! No fair picking on me!"
    I think things will continue happily this way for a while yet.

Aster's Requirements
    Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:
    Spoiler
    Show

Career:
    Supermax Skill: Martial Arts (1/3 Challenges)
    Best Friends: Aster Seraphim, Reed Seraphim, Linden Seraphim, Waylon Shwarz
    Black Ops:
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 42: Moving on Up
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, after that little incident, I'm back in control! I've made my choice!
    Which means it's time for Orchid to tell Orchid's tale!... And maybe refer to myself in the third person a few mote times; it's pretty fun.

Anyway, this happy-looking woman is posing for the last addition to my father's stylist portfolio...I asked him why, and he said something like,
    "Well, I'm running out of people to style who aren't friends of your mother's... So it's getting kind of dicey. I'd rather not risk messing something up. Besides, I always wanted to try making a living with my guitar!"
    I think he might just have been a little bored, but it's so sad he has to start at the bottom as a groupie of a band. An indignity, I say!

"Isn't this lovely? I want the girls to work on some more topiaries for it, but I think it's just darling!"
    "It's very cute, Ariel. It's a lot more organized than the front beds, though..."
    "I got a little over-zealous at first. It'd been so long since there were real plants to see...I may have to re-organize everything again one day!"
    "I'm starting to notice a pattern here."
    "You can never re-organize a garden enough!"
    "Actually, I think you can."
    "Nonsense. A garden's something that will never be perfect, but instead, always improving."
    "...So...It's like training! Garden training! That's so amazing, grandmother! Always shoot for the top! No surrender!"
    "Oh, snap. They've bonded."

Oh, yeah! Mother's finally gotten good enough at fishing that she can go and fish with Aunt Evanthe during the day, by the science building

"And I said licence? What kind of license do I need? I'm a proffessional fisherwoman! My job is a lisence! I had to yell out 'OBJECTION!' But the judge said 'Overruled,' so I had to get a fishing lisence."
    "Yaaaay! 'Objection'! I bet it was so cool, Vanthey! Oh, was this an objection where you used blue truth, or an objection where you presented your job as evidence? I'd use the Blue Truth, but we don't want this story cluttered up with text colors..."
    "It's for the best. If no one but the record sees it, it doesn't matter what...ever that is...you're doing."
    "You have a point...I need to work on painting truth, next. Then they'll definately not bug you about renewing your liscence!"
    ...And they pass the time like that very quietly.
    "...Yeah, this is nice."

Earlier this evening, I got...sort of a feeling off of one of the gnomes. You know how I said I could understand them a little? Well, I got the impression Jade was feeling a little lonely... So the two of us got together...

And meditated among the flowers.
    "Don't you go corrupting our little Orchid with your dark and gnomish arts, you hear me, you filthy gnome?"
    "...Ommmm....Ommm....Return to your breathing...And block out all annoyances distractions.... ommmm...."
    "I'm watching you. Don't think I'm not onto your wicked ways!"
    "No matter how IRRRITATING... AND STUPID!...They may be.... Ommmm..."
    "...I take it you don't like it when I talk during your meditiations."
    What gave you that idea, Uriel?
    "Alright, alright, I get the hint..."

During one of my nightly spars with Linden, a sudden realization hit me: I was done. Except for those challenges, I had learned all there was to learn, and I earned the highest Gi!
    I am Orchid, conquerer of Martial Arts! Fear the gold-trimmed lady!

[i]"You know, I was thinking...You're right. Some reorganization is fun."
    "Oh, what did you reorganize?"
    "I was worried you were going to take out my wall!"
    "Shut it, Axey. Your wall wasn't even slated."

"I wonder if we'll need that third floor space."
    "We can always change it later if we need to, right?"
    "I suppose so. Perfect home furnishing is also something to strive for endlessly!"

In other news, Gabriel's gotten some gray into his fur. We think he's pretty energetic, just like a puppy, though. You can't keep a good dog down!

"Who's a cute little animal? You're a little bandit with your mask..."
    "Uhhh...That's a raccoon. You know, adorable vermin? Knocked over our trash?"
    "Oh, but he was just hungry! I'm so happy there are so many animals in our town..."
    "...But! It left a huge mess..."
    "'O's a snuggly? Is it you? Yesh it is, yesh it is..."
    "I'll just clean this up, then. Thank goodness for ethreal powers."

Whenever Grandfather comes up from his grade, Grandmother tells him about her day, or days, or whatever's happened since he last came up.0

"You know, I bet the raccoon wasn't the cute one. You were. Uriel's just being jealous as always."
    "Jealous, of a raccoon?"
    "Well, duh. I'm a little jealous of it, getting all that attention from such a pretty lady."
    "Oh, Billy... *giggle*"

"Hey, Orchid. You've worked really hard and maxed your first skill...Why don't you and Linden take today off, huh?"
    "Take the day off...Yeah, that's a wonderous idea, Uriel!
    On my day off, I'll do fun, simple things...

Like dangling myself by one hand! It's not a real mountain, but that's nothing to the power of imagination!
    "...You don't actually know how to stop training, do you?"
    "Training's fun! Fighting's fun! Besides, I want to trace people on this one day, so I want to be the absolute best!"
    "Just try to do something...I dunno...More relaxed. I'm...W-well, I'm worried about you frittering your youth away. Take advantage of what you have, you know?"
    "Alright! I know exactly what you mean!"

And so Linden and I spent our afternoon, the last weekend of youth, engaged in a fierce and deadly battle for poolside dominance, giggling away in the water! And...With his tan skin glistening with water and the pounding sun of everlasting summer...
    I can't help but feel I've won the most handsome man in the world.
    I tell him everything...And he's not upset with my choice, or my other choice, or anything.
    "Even if it means I have to wait 1000 years, or die, or both... I don't think it'll be so bad for us to ride off into the sunset together. I'll be your sleeping charming, and you be my Princess Beauty...Or something like that. It doesn't gender-flip well, does it?"
    "No, it doesn't...But thank you."

On this lovely 'day off,' Auntie Vanthey invited Ross over to stay the night. They look like their earlier romantic struggles have mostly fallen away with time...And maybe with the realization that, for them, this is as close as they can get.

"Hey, what's this painting?"
    "It must have been a gift from the painting fairies! Why, look at it, such a lovely image. The daring color, the cold greys fading into the sunlit shades of the figure, the sense of tangible flight inspired by the shapes of the clocks! It's an expert rendering of the futility and emptiness of sims' struggles against time, the brevity of existence as something to be lamented!"
    "Oh, hey, Reed's signature is on the back. He must have done this while I wasn't looking."
    "Excuse me, I'll be right back."

"Ahhh...That was nice, Aster. What's got you in such a tender mood?"
    "...Art."

"Hey, Reed..."
    "Yeah?"
    "What was that painting in the art room about?"
    "Oh, that? I just wanted to do a Dali riff."

Speaking of art...

"...How did you get water flowing in this already?"
    "It's a fountain. It obviously needs water flowing. I'm taking away everything that's not a fountain, so I need to take away everything that's not the water, too. Including the absence of water."
    "...So...You're taking away the absence of water. With your pick and hammer."
    "Right! The muli-purpose hammer!"
    "..."
    "What's that banging noise? It sounds kind of like a not entirely physically-existant head hitting some sort of ethereal wall."

Grandmother found time to make it to a local party, and she ran into Ross's relative. Uriel adds this:
    "...Actually, we have no clue what her relationship is. Linden's never looked into his family tree. We just know she shows up with him at parties sometimes, and her last name is 'Dorman,' like his."

And Grandmother turns to a wonderful topic: myself! It's really amazing to have stories told about me, even if it's just by my grandmother!
    "And this is when she decided to embrace the challenges before her. And this is when..."
    "Oh, hey, look at my wrist! I need to go buy a watch to put on it so I can check the time!...So....ummm... I can...Not be late... For... Umm.... The meeting of the wristwatch club?"
    "...Oh. Well, I wouldn't want to delay the Wristwatch society..."

"Ok, ok, I'm done being mad you got me out of bed..." Evanthe, still in the underwear she sleeps in, yawns.
    "Yaaaaaaay!"
    "We really don't spend a lot of time hanging out, do we anymore? Life got so busy somehow, behind our backs..."
    At this, Reed's wife pouts.
    "I make time! In fact, once my plans for time-generation via painting a spool of time-thread we can pull off with turpentine, we'll have all the time!"
    "You have a point... You do always do your best," Evanthe chuckles. Reed's brow furrows slightly.
    "Be careful with the turpentine. I'd hate to find that great art room floor melted. Again."
    He gets waved off.
    "No worries, no worries... You know, I just want you two to know... This, right here, sitting here with the both of you... That's my Home. Even if it moves away, I'll find it again. Even if it takes a long time, it'll happen again somewhere. That's what home means. It's a meaning that exists in my head, so that's safer than a dictionary."
    "I'm glad, then...That our home is so safe."
    "Absolutely."

The chains clink slights as Mother moves her hands across the gaps and forms chains of their fingers. Chains that somehow add up, through my mother's mathematics, into a home.

Inspired by this...

When Linden pulls me into another round of kissing practice, I search for those links with my tongue, with his hard pallette. I think I find them.

Ouch. Remember when I said Aunt Vanthe' and Uncle Ross's woes were over? Well, apparently she had recieved an offer from 'Mr. Phone' to get a drink at the Plasma 51. Since that's a vampire bar, she thought she'd surprise her vampire boyfriend by taking him. A perfect, vamp-friendly date, right?
    Wrong. He shows up, and then immediately throws a tantrum, declares it a sucky date, and goes home. Ariel says she saw Audora Dorman, the person from the party, crying over Ross's dad... But still, shouldn't grief brings people together?

All I know is she ended up eating Shrimp Cocktail alone in a Vampire bar.

Linden is right behind me in terms of completing Martial Arts. Good work, Linden! Now, our battles will be the splendor of the world! Our fists shall create the vault of heavens!

It's our birthday tommorow, and rather than attend school, we want to get the birthday part going as soon as possible!
    So, we head to a bar as a group for a family party. Grandmother chats up the mixologist, and Mother, Father, and Aunt 'Vanthe play shuffleboard, and Linden and I dance the night away.

"It's so wonderful to see our little babies all grown up, isn't it?"
    "But I wish she had grown up some more. Is emulating King Kong with my daughter too much to ask?"
    "Yeah, Aster. Yeah it is."
    "...Oh."
    They laugh, the gossip-hounds!

Midnight falls, it becomes our birthday, and we set up a pair of cakes.

And as the bar closes, we take to the next stage of our lives, together! COME AND GET ME, YOUNG ADULT LIFE!

Linden's nerves could maybe be called full-blown Neuroticness by now, though I think he's just being a worry-wart.

I myself select 3 outfits for normal wear: a normal piece of clothes, a casual date dress (colored with accents for the man on my arm), and hardcore adventure-wear. The final is the first of my formal dresses; I couldn't pick!

But I really like the red kimono, too. I may make it my wedding dress. This fine array of outfits is perfect for my life of challenge and adventure! I'm feeling quite the Daredevil... Which will, of course, make life very exciting!

Oh, an aside: Linden picks as his Liftetime Wish Living in the Lap of Luxury, which maxes instantly. Normally, I don't do that, but Linden's career's lifetime wish is virtually impossible to fulfill.

Aster's Requirements

Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:

Spoiler
    Show
    Career:
    Supermax Skill: Martial Arts (Maxed, 1/3 Challenges)
    Best Friends: Aster Seraphim, Reed Seraphim, Ariel Seraphim, Linden Seraphim, Waylon Shwarz
    Black Ops: Mustle Hustle
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Deme, this is a fantastic LP. Like all your LPs it makes me simultaneously want the challenge you set to be achieved because the characters are clearly so invested in their various quests, and yet loathe the challenges simply because failing them would prematurely end the story of any of your delightful characters. For this one in particular, I enjoy the distinct voice that each character has, and the corresponding clothing aesthetic (Good God, do I love Orchid's ensembles) (^_^)b
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler
    Show

That is possibly the most ecstatically happy expression I have ever seen. It seems Ariel adores seeing her kids grow up. And earlier, preparing Orchid looked quite determined to Win her prom.

I have to ask, did you do something to modify what topics came up during Ariel and Orchid's swing conversation, or did they generate naturally? If it's the former, it's good storytelling; if the latter, it's just awesome.

Looking forward to more!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Selpharia View Post
    Deme, this is a fantastic LP. Like all your LPs it makes me simultaneously want the challenge you set to be achieved because the characters are clearly so invested in their various quests, and yet loathe the challenges simply because failing them would prematurely end the story of any of your delightful characters. For this one in particular, I enjoy the distinct voice that each character has, and the corresponding clothing aesthetic (Good God, do I love Orchid's ensembles) (^_^)b
    I'm glad you're really enjoying this! It always makes me happy.
    Orchid's outfits seem to be a favorite! I'm really happy with them, too. Her hair, not so much... But then Showtime came! So inside my game, she has a new hairdo.
    Don't worry too much about failure: I have a back-up plan for that. I have a Uriel sim I made, so if this attempt fails, maybe he'll have a more successful go at it.

Spoiler
    Show

That is possibly the most ecstatically happy expression I have ever seen. It seems Ariel adores seeing her kids grow up. And earlier, preparing Orchid looked quite determined to Win her prom.

I have to ask, did you do something to modify what topics came up during Ariel and Orchid's swing conversation, or did they generate naturally? If it's the former, it's good storytelling; if the latter, it's just awesome.

Looking forward to more!
    I had to keep that face in the story, so I'm glad you liked it. I think to myself every time I get a picture of a silly face, "I bet Toric will like this."

I didn't modify anything about that scene except taking the screenshots. I'd say it's a combination of both awesome and good storytelling, and the sort of thing that's the heart of a story-based LP: the game gives you good material, and you allow your purpose to be shaped by it.

Also...
    Grr. Orchid got screwed up during her pregnancy, so I'm going back a save file to avoid it. I split files immediately after their wedding, so it's not a huge loss. But this erases their honeymoon from existence, and I won't attempt to duplicate it... But at the same time, I'm sad, since I liked their honeymoon photos. So...In addition to Orchid's new haircut (which will appear after the next chapter), you also get to see an alternate future where Orchid and Linden go to Egypt.

Spoiler
    Show

And they immediately decide they don't care about adventure -- they're just gonna be with each other. Since my primary goal was to get a 'have a baby' wish, this was fine for me... But Orchid's wishes were screwed up, so it just didn't happen.

Eventually, they break up the romanticness to play Catch. Linden is completely unprepared for Orchid's throws.

But look how much passion she puts into it! It's easy to see why.

This is her idea of an apology. That is a smug, smug face. I love it.

If I leave them alone, they do this until they play catch. That is how date-ventures work.

But I did eventually get her to focus, broken wishes or not.

Playing with fire.

That's right, Orchid. Fire is hot, and maybe will hurt you... Silly girl.

I don't know what's up with their hair in this shot, but Orchid's face and position are terrifying.

Awwww... Perfectly synchronized, symmetrical love.

...That's all the funny pictures I have from the time that now does not exist. I hope you enjoyed them! I wonder if I should send them to China for their honeymoon in this timeline...

....Anyway, I'll be back with a proper chapter hopefully soon.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-03-19 at 12:18 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that was fast.
    Anyway, now it's back to the real timeline, well before this whole glitch shenanigans.

Chapter 43: Balanced like an Equation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hello there, everybody....That sounds a little stiff, doesn't it? Maybe just a bit... No, no, I'll let it lie. Really. Anyway, it's Linden here. Ready to start my own chapter. I'm actually very excited about this -- everyone's done a chapter or two but me, right? Sooner or later, I may get left behind, but for right now, I'll just keep pace in my own way.

I think, to begin with, Orchid was a little dissapointed in the job market for her. Pure Athletics has a few options, but not as many as she'd have liked. Her favorite careers options -- the police and the firefighters -- both require skills that might be used by future generations. She pouted about it for a long time -- it's thsat face when she's trying to be stoic and noble, but... It still looks so childish on her.
    "Well," I offered with a smile, "I think I'll save the day for a while, you do what needs doing. I've always wanted to be a detective."
    "A detective, really?!"
    "I think I'm smart enough... And hanging out with you, honey, has given me a 'solve people's problems' bug."
    "Alright! I'll be watching your career with interest!"
    The intensity of her as she takes my hands is always overwhelming: she clasps our four hands together and meets my eyes...It's like being hit by a speeding truck. I always worry if our relationship is Ok, if I'm so dazzled by her like that. Orchid's certain, but she's always certain: she needs certainty like a fish needs water. No, I guess more accurately, like a frog needs mucus: she secretes a layer of certainty for herself. I'm a person, just by nature, who has to check the follow-through. Would I have sought out my father without that map? Absolutely not. I needed assurance. I have to have a plan and follow it through carefully, because it could fall apart at any moment. So I can't say just yet. I might be offering her... Something I haven't been able to figure out just yet.

I guess I should get to my point: I joined up as a private investigator. I'll not allow the truth of what happens in this town to hide from me, so wrongdoers best be on-guard.

And because she had gone and seen that the world would be alright, Orchid joined the Sports Career without worry.

Well, at this point, I can start work developing my logical and investigative skills: I've been waiting a long time for this.

...Logic is hard, you guys! So very hard...
    "Oh, relax, Kiddo. Just take a shower and get back to making potions."
    "They're chemical formulas, not potions."
    "...You live in a magical house guarded by angels. Your girlfriend owns a talking axe. They're sure as heck potions."
    "Point."

Orchid and I decided to celebrate our success by having a night out on the town. However...
    We only got to the lovely swim club she designed when the Paparazzi following Orchid... Passed away. This was the first time something like this had happened.

"That poor woman, spending her last moments following us for a meaningless job... We need to go claim life, Linden!"
    Normally, I'd follow her to do whatever thing she had decided would be 'seizing life'... But something was odd.

The Reaper never appeared before us. But I saw him, claiming this woman's soul through the window.

"Fate is not escapable. Fate is not escapable... I am inevitable, the one and only... I am inescapable...
    Struggle all you like, Orchid Seraphim."

He mumbled all but the last of that, tight and insistant, like a person being restrained. The last of that, though, he said very clearly.
    I'm glad Orchid never heard that. She'd go punch out Death, and I'm not sure what would happen then. I'm really glad.
    Death is inescapable? I certainly can't argue with that. But until I hear him say Death is Permanent, then I think that plan will work.

"Hey, Orchid...Want to go get some dinner?"
    "Oh, sure! I'm starving!"
    So we head across the street for some dinner.

And I manage to turn our evening around. Between the two of us, the romantic mood is back to normal.

"Dude! Kitty! What the heck are you doing on the bridge to the middle island?...Were you....Going to go 'investigate the strange sim'? Again?! He's all the way across town!...You've worn yourself out running all evening, haven't you, kitty? Stupid, stupid Echo!
    I'll go get Evanthe to come pick you up and bring you home."

The next day was our graduation.

Orchid was valedictorian (I think I gave her too much help on her homework, ha ha) and voted "Most Likely to Save the World"...I got voted "Most Likely to Take Over the World." E-excuse me? Who's the detective here?
    "I'm slightly concerned."
    "Don't lose heart."
    "The world would probably be better if you ruled it, honey." My mother tells me. She's sort of used to handling ridiculous tihngs. Who even votes for that sort of thing?
    "I've got a case, so I'm going to go do that."
    ...It's irrational, but I feel like I ought to prove my own innocence.

The game is afoot!
    ...No, literally. The case involves people kicking gnomes in their sleep...

"And so I've deduced that no one's broken into your yard to kick the gnomes. The true culprit... IS YOU!"
    "Wow, really?"
    "Really. The footprints I found..."
    I spare the rest of you the details.
    "Are you going to say something like 'just by the existence of this gnome, this level of reasoning is possible for Linden Seraphim. What do you think, everyone,' are you?"
    "No! I'm solving cases because I want to help people, not to prove how smart I am!...I already know I'm pretty smart, a-and that means I'm responsible for doing something with that."

"...You and her really are alike, you know that? You both say 'I've got something, so of course I'm going to use it to help people."
    I laugh. "You can't live your life with someone you disagree with fundementally. When you're with someone who's your opposite, that relationship can only blossom...If the two of you pull yourselves closer together. That's what I think.

For example... Let's take Uncle Reed and Aunt Aster. Reed is normally pretty stable and sensible, while Aster is...Well, Aster. Wild and flighty and strange. I don't think Reed would become a rocker or a stylist if she hadn't been a person who babbled of beauty like a bird singing its song. And we all see that Reed keeps Aunt Aster together, and brings her closer to earth.

Even when all their children have grown up, they still find use for childish things...But with adult passion. That's a good way to describe their relationship.
    ...Ah, did I say too much? I definately said too much! B-but what I meant to say was that I draw things from her. I just don't know what she draws from me, so I get a little worried.

"Now, see, Mr. Uriel? That's making potions."
    "It all looks the same to me."
    It looks nothing like that!
    "You know, my experiments in Simearth magics would go much better without all this chattering in my ear."
    "Ah...Yes, Mrs. Ariel..."
    "Yes, Ariel..."
    "Good boys."

So instead of watching that, I tell Orchid about my first day at work -- about the search for the culprit, the questions I asked at the hospital, the confronation with the man...
    "And all in my graduation robes!"
    "You're kidding me? That's amazing!"

"...Hearing about how great you're doing...Just reminds me how much I love you."

She whispers. She takes me by the hand and leads me to the balcony.

And she talks. At first, it's just the two of us: just inconsequential stuff. Some of it's pretty lovey-dovey, so I'll keep it my secret. A man's allowed to keep what his girlfriend says to him and what he says to her in the privacy of their hearts a secret, right?

The stars appear, and deepen into midnight.

"The way I've decided to do things... There are a lot of ways in which I won't get my happy ending for a long time."
    "I know. Waiting's got to be the hardest challenge in the world for you."
    "It's nothing I won't overcome! But...All the same, I've cut myself off from a lot of options."
    ...She's been planning this, hasn't she?
    "I can't get a great job saving the day, or travel much of the world beyond the basic options, or move into our own house...Or even die by your side."

"I already said I'm alright with that. I'm absolutely certain you won't let it end like that. Not forever. If you can wait, I can."
    ...Yes, because of her, I can have certainty. Because she's planned and plotted, and...And because she's decided what to do if it falls apart, at any moment.

"But there's one piece of a happy ending I can have right now, right here. And it's all I'll ever need -- it's all the happy endings, unfolding from that single point."
    "That one certain happy ending..."

"Is you. When you and I are together, that's all the happiness in the world."

Because she said these things, I think I see it: the place where the two of us meet.

"Orchid..."
    "Linden, this is a big moment so let me finish."
    I chuckle at this.

"I refuse to surrender this happiness, for any reason. Linden Seraphim, I love you. Will you do me the honor...Of giving us the happiest story known to man...And being my husband, until the end of time?"

"Of course! Of course I will..."

"I love you so much."
    "I love you, too."

I go spinning down the spiraled stairs, giddy to announce that Orchid and I will be married. That, too, is my happy ending...
    But I think she's getting her language wrong. It's not a happy ending. It's a happy beginning, ever after.

"Alright, it's time for a bachelorette party! Let's rock this thing!"

Aster's Requirements

Spoiler
    Show

Orchid's Requirements:
    Spoiler
    Show

Career: Sports
    Supermax Skill: Martial Arts (Maxed, 1/3 Challenges)
    Best Friends: Aster Seraphim, Reed Seraphim, Ariel Seraphim, Linden Seraphim, Waylon Shwarz
    Black Ops: Mustle Hustle, The Ultimate Challenge, Celebrity Body
    Portraits: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA
    Sculptures/Photographs: Toddler (sculp&photo), Child (sculp&photo), Teen (Sculp&Photo), YA (Sculp)
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)